PDA

View Full Version : How much do they get paid?

Odinwolf
04-21-2007, 07:41 PM
I've been trying to read up on the comic book industry in general but one question I haven't been able to find a real, solid answer to is how much the creators of the content generally get paid. Does anyone know how much writers generally get paid per script? Or artists per page? What about inkers and colorers?

I know that those numbers fluctuate based on the talent and experience of each person involved, but I am curious if anyone know what the general range is. If Marvel was going to hire a talented and experienced writer, artist, inker and colorer, what could they expect to pay out for their services? Does anyone know?

Generic Eric
04-21-2007, 09:08 PM
How much do you get payed at your job? What kind of benifits do you get?;)

Phil Hunn
04-22-2007, 05:54 AM
If Marvel was going to hire a talented and experienced writer, artist, inker and colorer, what could they expect to pay out for their services? Does anyone know?

Apparently, according to my Comic Book Guy, even the creators working on the lower-end titles (like, say, Marvel Team-Up) make a great deal of money - at least $30,000 a year, as far as I can recall.

But that's just Marvel. I dunno about DC, or Image.

GRANT!
04-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Apparently, according to my Comic Book Guy, even the creators working on the lower-end titles (like, say, Marvel Team-Up) make a great deal of money - at least $30,000 a year, as far as I can recall.

Ouch. Glad I gave up on the comic creator dream.

Odinwolf
04-22-2007, 05:13 PM
How much do you get payed at your job? What kind of benifits do you get?;)

This kind of information is available for most professions. I happen to be a video game journalist with about three years of experience. So if you want to know more about how much people in my profession make or what kind of benefits we get, you can easily look that up in multiple places around the web. However, I haven't been able to find that kind of general information anywhere on the web. That's why I'm asking here.

I'm not trying to get one person to tell me their salary and benefits. I'm trying to learn more about the industry. There is a big difference. There is nothing rude or too personal about the question I was asking.

So... does anyone have ANY information or do I need to know the secret handshake?

DonC
04-22-2007, 06:24 PM
So... does anyone have ANY information or do I need to know the secret handshake?

Nope, you just need to be able to read. I'd start about three or four posts up.

the goddamn batman
04-22-2007, 08:03 PM
It's all page reates. For artists and writers. Artists make more per page than writers... on average.

It's not much. Comics are something you do because you love it, not because it pays well.

Most writers write multiple books at once because they have to. Artist do as much as they can, but their job is more intensive, so they make more per page.

I can't give you actual numbers, but I wouldn't expect much more than $100 USD per page... at least not until you're established... and even then.

Also, if you live outside the US, exchange rates can screw you.

Generic Eric
04-22-2007, 09:15 PM

From what I've heard the low end that you can be paid for a work for hire small press book is about 100 a page for pencils, 2/3 of that for inks and maybe 60 a page for writing. Beyond that it is very variable. Page raits depend on the company the creator works for, the popularity of the creator whether or not someone is under exclusive contract. Some creators don't get page rates. Instead the money gained from publication is divided amongst the creative crew. Book publishers like Tokyopop and Random house give a small advance for the productions of graphic novels.

Seriosly. Of the five years I've browsed the net no creators getting page rates tell the general public what they are getting paid. Except creators starting out in the small press. Most of whom get paid on the back end depending on how succesful the book is. Often if the book makes no money, niether do the creators. Then there's royalties. Money can also be made thru liscencing character rites publication royalties, etc. If a creator works in a differant contry the exchange rate can hurt or help the creator.

Top professional talents seemed to get paid on an individual basis from what I can tell. There is too many variables to give a generic answer to what people make in this business. You can only ask what individuals make and they have every right to tell ya to f off.

mgs
04-22-2007, 10:05 PM

DC talent probably makes slightly more, simply b/c it is so commercially backed. Image is only an indie backer, in that they have to pay for expenses for them to ship and print and all and everything else is yours, so it depends on how well your book does.

Odinwolf
04-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. Guess there really is a serious lack of information out there on this. I appreciate you guys giving me some basic numbers to work from though. Thanks a bunch.

DiabloOwnr
04-23-2007, 12:51 PM
While working for a (now-defunct) independent publishing company, I was paid as a writer $0.30 a comic that was sold-$2.95 cover price.

It was not enough to live on, by any means.

the goddamn batman
04-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Seriosly. Of the five years I've browsed the net no creators getting page rates tell the general public what they are getting paid.

I've seen Warren Ellis talk about it extensively. Though, I'd be hard pressed to find that conversation now.

Also, royalties tend to cap out at a certain amount. Meaning, you get royalties until you've recieved x amount, and then you no longer recieve them.

Generic Eric
04-23-2007, 04:21 PM
I've seen Warren Ellis talk about it extensively. Though, I'd be hard pressed to find that conversation now.

Alot of my knowledge on the subject comes from Warren Ellis about the pay structre and all, but I don't recall him giving hard numbers. The pay rates of Marvel and DC don't seem to be public knowledge. It doesn't necesarily need to be.

the goddamn batman
04-23-2007, 07:06 PM
At one point he said "I get paid X per page". I just don't recall what X was.

There was also a lot of talk about the 'standard' rates for inkers and pencilers as well as writers.

But, it does depend on who you are.

Generic Eric
04-23-2007, 10:00 PM
Alright I admit that I don't have all the answers because I really do not care much about what people get paid. There is no way that i'll track down those numbers that Warren Ellis talked about that one time. He probly brought them up because too many people don't have any facts about this subject and tend to talk out of thier ass about numbers they know nothing about.

ultramandingo
04-23-2007, 10:17 PM
depends on where they live too , not too many comic book guys can survive in the sf bayarea or so im told - so im guess-ing they all live in unibomber type shacks out in the woods ......or the midwest , samething

the goddamn batman
04-24-2007, 02:04 PM
There is no way that i'll track down those numbers that Warren Ellis talked about that one time.

Me either. But if anyone wants to try, it was on The Engine.

the goddamn batman
04-24-2007, 02:06 PM
depends on where they live too , not too many comic book guys can survive in the sf bayarea or so im told

There are a few bay area comic creators.

But, the beautiful thing about comics in the digital age is that you can live where ever you please. OR can afford.

Comic creators come from all over the world now. As everything is done through FTP sites emmail and Fed Ex.

It's a wonderful world we live in.

Jason Rodriguez
04-24-2007, 02:26 PM

That's closer to low end per-title (assuming a monthly schedule), really, for the bigger companies. And Image creators get back-end deals.