PDA

View Full Version : What next? Three choices.

Rob H
04-11-2007, 12:14 AM
I have a large pile of books, sitting on my shelf and waiting to be read. What I usually do is pull out three that I might be in the mood for and choose one at random. However, this time, I'd rather get a little help. All three are said to be pretty good and I've only just read through Stardust and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

I could keep going with the Gaiman run or throw in some Fforde for a little spice. Any thoughts on any of these books?

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

Ilash
04-11-2007, 12:49 AM
I have a large pile of books, sitting on my shelf and waiting to be read. What I usually do is pull out three that I might be in the mood for and choose one at random. However, this time, I'd rather get a little help. All three are said to be pretty good and I've only just read through Stardust and Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

I could keep going with the Gaiman run or throw in some Fforde for a little spice. Any thoughts on any of these books?

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
American Gods by Neil Gaiman
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil Gaiman

Well hey, I've read all three of those. I would personally go for Gaiman over Fforde and I do actually think that the second Thursday Next book is a fair amount better than the first. My pick would be Smoke and Mirrors, which contains stories that are generally pretty different to either of those other two books and while the stories do vary in quality, they're almost all very much worth your while and offer up a nicely varied reading experience. American Gods is great but it's a really long, rambling book and, with just having read two other books by him, you may well find yourself suffering from a Gaiman overdose by the end of it.

Rob H
04-11-2007, 02:13 AM
Is a Gaiman overdose even possible? Doesn't seem likely. ;)

I think it was Smoke and Mirrors all along. Thanks.

Sanagi
04-11-2007, 02:17 AM
I think Smoke and Mirrors is my favorite Neil Gaiman book.

Adem
04-11-2007, 06:06 AM
The Eyre Affair is not as good as the second book in the Thrusday Next series as Ilash stated. I suggest reading the first two books instead of just the first so you can get a real feel for the series. So you might as well finish off the rest of Neil Gaiman's work then move on to Fforde's.

Jonathan Bogart
04-11-2007, 06:59 AM
What I would do is get rid of the Gaiman and read the Fforde; but I know I'm almost alone in disliking Gaiman.

Ryan Day
04-11-2007, 07:46 AM
Definitely American Gods. Probably Gaiman's best.

I was completely bored by the Eyre Affair: Not funny enough to be a comedy, too silly to be taken seriously.

Roquefort Raider
04-12-2007, 04:51 PM
What I would do is get rid of the Gaiman and read the Fforde; but I know I'm almost alone in disliking Gaiman.

Not as alone as you might think, effendi!

Matthew E
04-12-2007, 04:58 PM
I think Fforde is largely a waste of time; he's got some fun ideas but if he's found a way of turning them into a good story, it's been in a book of his that I haven't read.