PDA

View Full Version : Conan books!!!

redlantern2051
04-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey guys, just the other day I purchased "The Complete Chronicles of Conan", by Robert E Howard, and I am STAGGERED by how good the stories are! I'm absolutely loving them! So well paced, full of action, sorcery, beautiful girls, snd above all, Conan himself! He is so cool!

Does anyone else love these stories?

CaptainAwesome
04-06-2007, 08:05 PM
I have three books that have all of Robert E Howards original conan stories. I think most of them are pretty entertaining, while others are just plain bad. Its pretty obvious that Howard had no problem writing for the paycheck. Still, he is credited as being one of the pioneers of the sub-genre called "dark fantasy", and rightly so. My favorite story of his is The Frost Giants Daughter, because it simply encompasses everything that Conan is, was and always will be. Its easy to see why Conan is such a timeless character.

Inkthinker
04-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I liked The Tower of the Elephant most, myself. Rogues in the House probably runs a close second.

Those three collections of Conan are pretty much the only way to read him, I think... I never realised how much the character had really become bastardized over the decades, what with the deCamp rewrites and so forth. There is a certain visceral something in Howard's original manuscript that doesn't really carry over in the adaptations.

Deathstroke
04-06-2007, 10:10 PM
Oddly enough, I've never actually read the REH original stories. Which is funny since I'm a big fan of Conan.

My love comes from the Marvel series and the Robert Jordan et al books.

One day I hope to get my hands on some REH Conan books.

redlantern2051
04-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Ok, I haven't ready any of the comics, but I'm pretty sure "The Complete Chronicles of Conan" is 100% as REH originally wrote it. It's pretty awesome, I know that. I think when I get to the end, I will track down the Dark Horse series. Looks pretty good, too.

CaptainAwesome
04-06-2007, 11:51 PM
Ok, I haven't ready any of the comics, but I'm pretty sure "The Complete Chronicles of Conan" is 100% as REH originally wrote it. It's pretty awesome, I know that. I think when I get to the end, I will track down the Dark Horse series. Looks pretty good, too.

The dark horse series is good, but it tends to drag out REH's stories. For instance: Tower of the Elephant was about three or four issues long, while it could have been done in one or two.

Personally, I like truman better than busiek (at least on Conan), but both writers are pretty good.

sheets
04-07-2007, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I think Howard is a great writer. He is to fantasy what Dashiell Hammett is to crime fiction.

I think when I get to the end, I will track down the Dark Horse series. Looks pretty good, too.

The Dark Horse series is outstanding but I wouldn't hold back against the Marvel series either. While it has some De Campian elements mixed in, Roy Thomas's run is still really good reading and it has better art, IMO.

Personally, I like truman better than busiek (at least on Conan), but both writers are pretty good.

I think Busiek understands Conan on an intellectual level - he understands the themes and characterizations and such - but I think Truman fits the character a little better because he's more culturally in line with Howard. I mean, rural West Virginia isn't necessarily West Texas, but it's a lot closer than suburban Massachusetts (I think that's where Busiek's from...) :)

Roquefort Raider
04-07-2007, 08:57 AM
The Dark Horse series is outstanding but I wouldn't hold back against the Marvel series either. While it has some De Campian elements mixed in, Roy Thomas's run is still really good reading and it has better art, IMO.

I think that Roy Thomas is one of the best Conan writers, too. Many of his stories from the early days of the Marvel run are classsic stuff; he really understood the character. I wish the PTB had let him write a few novels back in the days... (as I recall, his attempts in that direction had been judged "too comic-booky"). Because just a few years later, when TOR books started publishing pastiches at a fast and furious pace, very, very bad Conan novels began seeing print.

I wouldn't be too hard on de Camp and Carter; although their vision of Conan was a bit more noble and classically heroic than Howard's, they did a lot to ensure the character's literary survival.

Perry Holley
04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
and the Robert Jordan et al books.
Heretic!!!

Seriously, the Jordan books? Ewwwww....

Deathstroke
04-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Heretic!!!

Seriously, the Jordan books? Ewwwww....

Hey, I liked them. It's not like I had the originals to judge them against.

DrDoomX
04-08-2007, 05:58 AM
I love the Howard Conan novels and own all three volumes. Personally my favorites are Queen of the Black Coast, The Tower of the Elephant, Red Nails, Hour of the Dragon(The Only Conan Novel written by Howard), People of the Black Circle. Yes there is some crap, like Women of the Lost Vale, but aside from those the three Conan Volumes are great. Donot forget they include some great extras, like unused scripts, early drafts, and a essay called Hyborian Genesis, which is in three parts, one for each volume and chronices the creation of Conan and how each story came to be...

redlantern2051
04-09-2007, 03:26 AM
Cool DrDoomX, I have only read "Tower of the Elephant" out of the ones you mention-its excellent. I just finished "The Slithering Shadow" and really enjoyed it. I love how Conan almost always has a girl on his arm, he's really funny! He is like this big hunk of man-meat! *lol* But like in that story he goes to great lengths to save the girl. He's pretty cool. Cant wait to get deeper into the book!

DrDoomX
04-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Heh, wait till you read some of the other ones. I am surprised as old as they are, as graphic as they can be from time to time. I think you will get a kick out of many of the stories. Red Lantern, what Conan book are you reading?

redlantern2051
04-16-2007, 01:59 AM
Heh, wait till you read some of the other ones. I am surprised as old as they are, as graphic as they can be from time to time. I think you will get a kick out of many of the stories. Red Lantern, what Conan book are you reading?

I have just finished "The Pool of the Black One", which was great, as you get to see how Conan became a pirate, and I am just reading "Rogues in the House". Loving it.

I love how the history of Conan is all over the place and he never stays in one place for long. It's kewl.

bluetyson
04-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Yep, very nice book that Complete Chronicles of Conan.

If you want some original Conan stories then :-

http://www.gutenberg.net.au/sfproject.html

For those of you that don't have them.

Some of Jordan's books are certainly decent, as far as that sort of thing goes, especially the Karela books, but the original is the original. :)

I have read a few of 'em, and all the original/pastiche stories now, not all the pastiche books though, that is a lot!

Ratings for those I have got to are here :-

http://superprose.blogspot.com

Master list, bottom right, or sword and sorcery tab and browser through that, or whatever you feel like.

terryallenuk
04-18-2007, 09:34 AM
I suggest instead of the Conan pastiches , some of which aren't _too_bad , LOL , try the other Howard collections from Del Rey.

Bran Mak Morn , Solomon Kane and Kull are available with two "Best Of" books due this year.

Terry

The Robert E Howard Comics Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup/
READ THE CONAN NEWSPAPER STRIP AT
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheREHcomicsgroup2/

Perry Holley
04-18-2007, 12:57 PM
I suggest instead of the Conan pastiches , some of which aren't _too_bad , LOL , try the other Howard collections from Del Rey.

Bran Mak Morn , Solomon Kane and Kull are available with two "Best Of" books due this year.
Seconded.

If someone does want to try out some of the pastiches, I would recommend the ones written by Karl Edward Wagner and Andrew J. Offutt. Long out of print, but they shouldn't be too difficult to find via a used book store search.

sheets
04-19-2007, 06:14 AM
I just read Wagner's Conan: The Road of Kings a couple of weeks ago. It was alright, although somewhat disappointing considering how good Wagner's Kane stories are and how much Wagner had done for Howard's work as an editor. I just thought it was slightly slow-paced, and Wagner's Conan was too subdued, lacking the forthrightness and relentlessness of Howard's. I've heard Wagner fares much better with his Bran Mak Morn pastiche.

Slam_Bradley
04-19-2007, 08:47 AM

Terry

Absolutely agree. They are readily available and are miles beyond any Conan that has been written by anyone besides Howard. Actually about the only person whose writing I can stand on Conan besides Howard is Roy Thomas.

Roquefort Raider
04-20-2007, 03:37 AM

Terry

Why, hello, Terry!

I heartily agree with you.

I particularly recommend Howard's crusades stories, many of which have all the exotic feel of the Conan tales (and most of which inspired adaptations in Marvel's "Savage sword of Conan").

bluetyson
04-20-2007, 07:13 AM
Yep, Mr. Howard is just generally pretty good.

A whole bunch here if you want to do some browsing to see what you might like :-

http://www.gutenberg.net.au/sfproject.html