PDA

View Full Version : Namor

Blue Blaze
03-03-2007, 06:54 PM
If a writer actually compiled all the powers Namor has been shown to have... how powerful would he be?

He is listed as being class 100 strength that deteriorates as he dries out but he has that suit that can keep him wet.

He is pretty invunerable as is but also has his Atlantean armor from Neptune which bolsters his invunerability and strength.

He also has Neptunes Trident which allows him to control water, create water elementals, earthquakes, tidal waves, rain, fog etcetera.

He has a limited ability to control marine life, sonar and can create electic blasts light an electric eel.

He can also absorb other forms of energy and use them as electric blasts. He has that horn that gives him total control over all marine life.

He can make mental projections and the Sword of Kamuu is as powerful as the Ebony Blade and can negate any magic even that of Dr. Strange, it also make him stronger and enchanted.

He can fly and has heightened sences and reflexes.

He also has the magic earrings that let him telepathically comunicate with the wearer of the other, Narmorita had the other, RIP:(

But nobody ever writes him using any of this stuff.

With the upgrades from the Trident, Kamuu, wet suit and armor he has got to be Hulk/sentry type strong. Immune to magic, control of water, weather, energy manipulation. Wow... can you imagine if he were written with all his powers. No wonder he's so arrogant, he knows he's the best.

I think he'd probably be the most powerful non-cosmic character and stronger than a lot of them.

CaptainAwesome
03-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I think you are right, he would be one of the most powerful characters. Thats exactly the reason he doesnt have all of his powers all at once. You see, writers are wusses when it comes to power. They dont have the stones to give a character nigh-unlimited power, or if they do have that they are always background characters that never really do anything like the Sentury. Sure there are some writers with the imagination to pull something like that off, but they are so few and far between that they are almost not worth thinking about in the long term.

Of course, its not all the writers' fault. Fan's also hate too much power. If a character is actually as powerful as Namor could be fans would call him boring and would whine at the fact that noone can beat him. So it is a vicious circle: writers lack the motivation to write stories about ultra-powerful characters because fans have no interest in those ultra-powerful characters because writers have no motivation to write them.

Oh, and dont forget Namor's super blowfish inflating powers.:D

Blue Blaze
03-03-2007, 09:02 PM
I think most of it is writers just don't know the characters and don't do the research. Like in Civil War 7, Clor has Thor's Hammer and Hercules crushes him with it. Why didn't Herc use his own adamantian mace? Because Millar probably doesn't even know Herc has an enchanted mace. just like how Namor when he is leading his army into battle didn't take either his sword or Neptunes Trident.

But I agree most writers can't keep a uber-powered character exciting.

myslead
03-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Namor is the first mutant Marvel created & he is badass no matter what. Maybe they will show some of his uber stuff in his upcoming serie!

myslead
03-03-2007, 09:26 PM
what the hell with the double post i say!

Gamma Burst
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM
Yeah,Namor is marvel's first mutnt and extremely powerful.His showings against the Hulk are particularly impressive!

Thorlief
03-04-2007, 02:58 AM
I look forward to some namor's badassness as well. His strenght is errific and his other feats are to not be underestimated

md62
03-04-2007, 05:20 PM
Namor was Marvel's Superman in the 40's & 50's. His powers were at amazing levels. He was Marvel's most popular character in the golden age. In fact in the 50's a Namor TV series was in development! When he was brought back in the 60's his power levels were not as great & thru the years his power levels have been portrayed very inconsistently.

Mikl C
03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
He's hot. ten

Eliseu Gouveia
03-04-2007, 06:55 PM
He k.o.ed Hulk once, while fighting underwater.

No joke, when he came to finish the job, he found that Hulk had reverted to Banner form.

Blue Blaze
03-04-2007, 08:34 PM
He k.o.ed Hulk once, while fighting underwater.

No joke, when he came to finish the job, he found that Hulk had reverted to Banner form.

Actually he beat the Hulk once out of water and three or four times in the water. All their fights are listed at a site called the Leaders Lair.

Shellhead
03-05-2007, 06:45 AM
I consider myself a Namor fan. I only bought the first two years of the Byrne series, but I did get most of the Invaders and his 70's solo series, plus his various appearances in Super-Villain Team-Up and the Defenders. I've also read some of his appearances in Fantastic Four and the Avengers. But this is the first I've heard about the magic items, except for that horn that he uses to summons underwater monsters. The sword, the earrings, the magical powers of his trident, and that Atlantean armor... that's all new to me. And the mental projections thing sounds like a bizarre one-time deal, similar to the Hulk's bizarre ability to see astral beings.

Blue Blaze
03-06-2007, 02:32 PM
I consider myself a Namor fan. I only bought the first two years of the Byrne series, but I did get most of the Invaders and his 70's solo series, plus his various appearances in Super-Villain Team-Up and the Defenders. I've also read some of his appearances in Fantastic Four and the Avengers. But this is the first I've heard about the magic items, except for that horn that he uses to summons underwater monsters. The sword, the earrings, the magical powers of his trident, and that Atlantean armor... that's all new to me. And the mental projections thing sounds like a bizarre one-time deal, similar to the Hulk's bizarre ability to see astral beings.

Well if you have the 73 Submariner series you have arcs that feature the sword and the Trident and both were featured again in the 1995 series. The Trident is huge in Namor as is the armor. The armor was given to him after Neptune resurected him so he could fight that villian who killed him and was terrorizing Atlantis, his name escapes me. When Namor was trying to get the throne back there was an entire arc about how Neptune led him on a journey to prove whether he was worthy of the Trident, in another it was featured when Namor was protecting Neptune.

The sword was what caused Atlantis to rise, Triton was stabbed and his blood mixed with Morgan Le Fey's enchantment caused the event.

The image projection was from the first series but was important enough to republish the arc as a Giant Sized Defenders issue. The earrings showed up from time to time, I can remember an arc with the New Warriors where Namorita told the team she would get them help from her cousin and put on her earring. The Sword and the magical gem, The Eye of Zarata, in its hilt was also featured as an arc in the Dr. Strange series of the late 70's. When Namor and Strange defeated Aleric, they seperated the gem from the sword because the gem had rendered all of Stange's magic useless. The sword was so powerful Namor loaned the gem to Strange so it could not be used against him and because the sword was still uber-powerful at half strength.

There are even other items and powers. In 95 series when Namor was the bearded crazy guy, it was established that he and Namorita had a mental bond and could sence when the other was in trouble. In Strange Tales, Namor and Manthing and MT's wife meet a goddess like character, The Holy Mother who gives Namor a piece of the Nexus gem... I'm not sure what it did or how it was used after but it too was an enchanted gem.

The items and powers are rarely used and you are talking about a character that is going to be 70 in a couple years. He's been featured in his own or as a member of team in an ongoing book 400+ times and has probably guested in other books that many times. So not knowing the items is understandable but they were not things mentioned inpassing most had entire arcs dedicated to them.

StoneGold
03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
And then there's Namor's ultimate power: the abitlity to be the biggest jerk in the room, even when he's hanging with Dr. Doom.

Granted, that's a plus for me. Namor's a-holeness is his charm.

Eliseu Gouveia
03-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Namor's a-holeness is his charm.

Namor draws his supreme powers of badassery from his A-holeness.

Blue Blaze
03-06-2007, 04:41 PM
And then there's Namor's ultimate power: the abitlity to be the biggest jerk in the room, even when he's hanging with Dr. Doom.

Granted, that's a plus for me. Namor's a-holeness is his charm.

You know, I agree with him most of the time. Like in his recent appearances I thought he was right for siding with the Hulk and for being against the Illumini idea and registration.

I've always thought Thor, Doom, Magneto, Ironman, Reed Richards, Prof X were all as arrogant, just not as rude. But that is Namor's beauty he shoot from the hip and pulls no punches.

myslead
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
You know, I agree with him most of the time. Like in his recent appearances I thought he was right for siding with the Hulk and for being against the Illumini idea and registration.

I've always thought Thor, Doom, Magneto, Ironman, Reed Richards, Prof X were all as arrogant, just not as rude. But that is Namor's beauty he shoot from the hip and pulls no punches.

can't agree more with you.

StoneGold
03-06-2007, 05:41 PM

I still think it's not so much that he disagrees with the concepts, so much as he disagrees in general. If Reed and Tony had spoken out against registration, Namor would have been for it. If Stephen had brought up curing the Hulk, Namor would have been all for sending him back to the Crossroads.

Namor's just a disagreeable jerk.

Blue Blaze
03-06-2007, 05:58 PM
I still think it's not so much that he disagrees with the concepts, so much as he disagrees in general. If Reed and Tony had spoken out against registration, Namor would have been for it. If Stephen had brought up curing the Hulk, Namor would have been all for sending him back to the Crossroads.

Namor's just a disagreeable jerk.

No, he has always been written as being very passionate about what he believes in... protecting Atlantis, ecology, the enviornment. Other than the time period where they used him as a FF villian. He has always had honorable intensions from the standpoint of his race, being a leader. His big fights have been against Nazis, Facists, polluters and enemies of Atlantis. He has a good heart; which is evident by taking on the financially bankrupt Heroes for Hire and so they could continue in their pro-bono ways. He was not being the devil's advocate in his recent appearances. He was standing up for what he believed in. He may be a disagreeable jerk but he is one with principles.

StoneGold
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
No, he has always been written as being very passionate about what he believes in... protecting Atlantis, ecology, the enviornment. Other than the time period where they used him as a FF villian. He has always had honorable intensions from the standpoint of his race, being a leader. His big fights have been against Nazis, Facists, polluters and enemies of Atlantis. He has a good heart; which is evident by taking on the financially bankrupt Heroes for Hire and so they could continue in their pro-bono ways. He was not being the devil's advocate in his recent appearances. He was standing up for what he believed in. He may be a disagreeable jerk but he is one with principles.

I can point out plenty of examples though where he went out of his way to be a jerk. Like any time PAD or Giffen reunited the Defenders. Or the fact that 40 years later, and he is still trying to cockblock Reed. He knows he's never going to get Sue. Or even the way he used to get in scuffles with the original Human Torch, years into the Invaders. He just does it to piss off the surface dwellers.

Eliseu Gouveia
03-06-2007, 07:21 PM
"Cockblock".

Ive learned a new word today :p

I really dont think hes interested in Sue, though.

Blue Blaze
03-06-2007, 07:39 PM
I can point out plenty of examples though where he went out of his way to be a jerk. Like any time PAD or Giffen reunited the Defenders. Or the fact that 40 years later, and he is still trying to cockblock Reed. He knows he's never going to get Sue. Or even the way he used to get in scuffles with the original Human Torch, years into the Invaders. He just does it to piss off the surface dwellers.

I'm not saying he's not a jerk or disagreeable. I'm disagreeing with you saying he didn't care that the Hulk was sent into space or that he has no convictions about Civil War and that he only chose sides to argue. Sure he is disagreeable and rude but he still has things he believes in. And it's not so much that he is arguementative as it is that he is rude and obnoxious.

StoneGold
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM
I'm not saying he's not a jerk or disagreeable. I'm disagreeing with you saying he didn't care that the Hulk was sent into space or that he has no convictions about Civil War and that he only chose sides to argue. Sure he is disagreeable and rude but he still has things he believes in. And it's not so much that he is arguementative as it is that he is rude and obnoxious.

We're probably going to disagree on this one, then. Don't get me wrong, Namor has his issues he cares about. But do you really think he cares about the personal freedoms of surface dwellers? Or the Hulk, of whom the last few times they've met up, they've basically tried to kill each other?

I honestly think Namor is the superhero version of an Internet troll, fighting verbal battles purely for the sake of fighting them. Has he been like this in every characterization? No, but then no character has been very consistent in stuff like that. Has he been characterized enough like that, both recently and in the past, for me to make a credible claim to that? Yeah, I think so. And I can definitely see why you wouldn't, but lately, Namor's jerk characterization has been turned up to 11. I'd say he's suffering from his bi-polar condition again.

Chou Blaster
03-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Firstly a rebuttal about Herc smashing CLor:

I doubt Clor's Hammer wa sthe real one.

And Herucles has been "deemed worthy" by t. Meanin g if he were to gra bi, he cna lfit, and use it as if Thor can use it.

And about Namor:

Scans Daily ahs previews of his own mini series comnig up.

mAmong what he does.

Spoilers.

New York is in flames. Great gonig Tony, ni pissing off Namor with Green Goblin, and having nitro spill the beans about SHield setting up Stamford Massacre. namor declares war, noce again.*

- Remember, Nitor isiin Namor's custody, and he does not play nice.

And in aWolverine comic ti ein to CW, it was revealed Shield had made a chemcial to grant on epwoers/jakc up pwoers, and Nitros blast that killed Stamford was a result fo it.

Pendaran
03-06-2007, 11:34 PM
That was Damage Control, not SHIELD, in terms of the reveal in Wolverine. They were supplying a drug originally made by Mr Hyde out of, well, himself to villains hoping they would cause more damage, and thus more business for the company. If Nitro claimed it was SHIELD in Namor's comic, that makes it look like, well, he's lying in order to goad Namor into going to war with humanity again. Not that it ever really takes /that/ much to goad that.