PDA

View Full Version : help with 1980's comics event

DrGnome
03-02-2007, 07:05 AM
During the mid to latter part of the 80's I remember there being several chronicles and events with some I could have sworn were cross publisher tied or cross series tied as well as the super man doomsday event and its various short term seudo superman spin offs. What were these big series called that took place? I remember them happening and creating a huge stir with people, every week on delivery day there was always 15 - 20 of us waiting at Daves Comics in Ann Arbor MI ( long since closed thanks to the decline of comics in the 90's ) and we were all waiting to read the chronicles as well as the Doomsday series.

Key points:

This may have crossed publishers or may not but it was big enough that it could have.

I do remember that it tied various comic series together such as xmen tied into superman and batman ect ect.

It would have been around the time of the Doomsday series that killed of Superman for the first time ( god now how good of a movie would that be with doomsday? )

MartinRedmond
03-02-2007, 07:24 AM
It was in the 90s. Marvel DC Access or All-Access?

DrGnome
03-02-2007, 02:37 PM
No I dont think thats what it was called, this was rather large and like I said it incorporated I think 12 seperate comics and possibly a cross publisher partnership event I believe to try and bring back readers who had been pulled away by canadian independants that had popped up all over the place at the time. I seem to remember that the silver surfer rebelling away from galacticus was potentialy part of this and that overall this war was bringing all of the universes hero's together to save life as we know it.

Also it wasnt a 90's event, it was mid to late 80's when comics were at they're peak and before the flood of independants and poorly written and painted comics killed the scene to near death in the early 90's.

StrikeForce Albert
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
No I dont think thats what it was called, this was rather large and like I said it incorporated I think 12 seperate comics and possibly a cross publisher partnership event I believe to try and bring back readers who had been pulled away by canadian independants that had popped up all over the place at the time. I seem to remember that the silver surfer rebelling away from galacticus was potentialy part of this and that overall this war was bringing all of the universes hero's together to save life as we know it.

Also it wasnt a 90's event, it was mid to late 80's when comics were at they're peak and before the flood of independants and poorly written and painted comics killed the scene to near death in the early 90's.

?....uh Infinity Gauntlet?

Michael P
03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
Doomsday happened in 1992. Surfer rebelled against Galactus in 1966. Marvel and DC had a crossover in 1995, but it was only a miniseries, and didn't touch any of the individual series.

It looks like you're smooshing together Crisis on Infinite Earths, Infinity Gauntlet, the various crossover one-shots of the late seventies/early eighties, and the Death of Superman into one big thing.

I think your memory in this case is unreliable.

Joe Night
03-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Well there was Marvel v. DC and The Amalgam Age of Comics, that was the only crossover event that I can remember between publishers. In the when Superman died the Cyborg had destroyed Coast City in the GL books, that crossed over into GL and eventually lead to Zero Hour later after Hal Jordan went psycho after the destruction of his city. This would have crossed over into all Superman titles and some GL issues not to mention the Zero Hour issues, I'm not sure if there were tie in issues with other titles, but there could have been.

stealthwise
03-30-2007, 10:42 PM
... Deathmate?

Reptisaurus!
03-30-2007, 11:16 PM
During the mid to latter part of the 80's I remember there being several chronicles and events with some I could have sworn were cross publisher tied or cross series tied as well as the super man doomsday event and its various short term seudo superman spin offs. What were these big series called that took place? I remember them happening and creating a huge stir with people, every week on delivery day there was always 15 - 20 of us waiting at Daves Comics in Ann Arbor MI ( long since closed thanks to the decline of comics in the 90's ) and we were all waiting to read the chronicles as well as the Doomsday series.

Key points:

This may have crossed publishers or may not but it was big enough that it could have.

I do remember that it tied various comic series together such as xmen tied into superman and batman ect ect.

It would have been around the time of the Doomsday series that killed of Superman for the first time ( god now how good of a movie would that be with doomsday? )

1) It probably didn't cross publishers.
2) The Death of Superman event was... '92? '93? I know it wasn't 80s.
3) Do you remember, specifically, any artists, writers, or characters that were involved?
4) Poke around here (http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/xover/), 'an see if you find it.

JoeK32880
03-31-2007, 02:13 AM
Well, Superman crossed over with Milestone comics for a pretty decent sized crossover between a couple Superman books and a couple Milestone books. That was in the mid-90s.

mgs
04-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Well, Superman crossed over with Milestone comics for a pretty decent sized crossover between a couple Superman books and a couple Milestone books. That was in the mid-90s.

oh yeah, and there was the Iron Man/ X-O Man o War thing.

Kirk G
04-06-2007, 02:53 PM
During the mid to latter part of the 80's I remember there being several chronicles and events . I remember them happening and creating a huge stir with people, every week on delivery day there was always 15 - 20 of us waiting at Daves Comics in Ann Arbor MI ( long since closed thanks to the decline of comics in the 90's ) and we were all waiting to read the chronicles as well as the Doomsday series.
)

OMG! I know that place. He had a shop over in Royal Oak as well, crammed with old box games, etc.

I used to buy my comics there! There were about a dozen comic shops that sprung up around the Detroit suburbs in the 1980s...
and I frequented them all!

Comics Archieves, Daves Comics, Off the Page, Comic Kingdom, Time Travelers, The Extrav-Con every other Saturday in Royal Oak at the VFW hall... Man, that takes me back!

Do you remember the TMNT coming out? And how about the big Cerebus scandal when bootleg copies of issue #0 or #1 (I don't recall) began showing up, and the ONLY difference in the issues was the color of the stapples? Gold or copper were the original, and silver were the immitation! Once the word got out, the market had been flooded by the immitation!