PDA

View Full Version : new to comics!

FancyMcFancy
02-16-2007, 08:33 PM
Allright I've just started reading comics and I'm not sure what to pick. My friend recommended Hellboy. But other than that I dont really know what to look for. I bought hellblazer:dangerous habits, which I liked alot.(I was wondering what came after that book in the series)
So I've read hellboy, hellblazer and the watchmen all that I've liked. What do you recommend I read?

Jack Zodiac
02-16-2007, 09:29 PM
Well, if you liked "Dangerous Habits," I'd recommend trying Ennis and Dillon's next book in the Hellblazer series, "Fear and Loathing." And there are several volumes of Hellboy, if you haven't read them all yet- six volumes and two volumes of Weird Tales. Also, there are five volumes of BPRD stories as well.

And if you enjoyed Mignola's work on that series, try to hunt down his one-shot, The Amazing Screw-On Head. They did a pilot episode of a potential series based on it for Sci-Fi last year, which was also pretty good (kept to his art style and dark humor). And if you're a fan of Mike's work, I'd also suggest checking out Eric Powell's The Goon, another great Dark Horse book with plenty of black humor.

And another work of Moore's you might enjoy is V for Vendetta. It's a little more plot-driven than Watchmen, and the cast is a whole lot smaller, with two main protagonists and only a handful of bit players to keep track of, but it's a great book about an Orwellian future London and the balance between fascism and anarchy.

Infra-Man
02-17-2007, 06:03 AM
If you wind up enjoying the Ennnis and Dillon work on Hellblazer, I'd suggest moving on to Preacher, which was also done by Ennis and Dillion. The series is much more extreme than anything that goes on in Hellblazer, so if you've got delicate sensibilities, it may not be your cup of tea.

If you like the Dark Horse stuff, I usually recommend Mike Allred's Madman. Compared to Hellboy and The Goon, Madman is more pop art than pulp or noir, but it's a fun read if you like quirky characters and something retro.

What types of comics are you interested in checking out? Superhero comics? Non-superhero comics? Indie comics? Self-contained graphic novels?

hshaukat
02-17-2007, 11:21 AM
If you wind up enjoying the Ennnis and Dillon work on Hellblazer, I'd suggest moving on to Preacher, which was also done by Ennis and Dillion. The series is much more extreme than anything that goes on in Hellblazer, so if you've got delicate sensibilities, it may not be your cup of tea.

Preacher really is great, but pay attention to Infra-Man's warning about how extreme it is. It is by no means and understatement. So good though, and soon to be an HBO series so I hear... I'm not sure how I feel about that, but oh well.

Deep_Sleeper
02-17-2007, 01:16 PM
If you like fun and entertaining action movies like Armageddon or The Rock, pick up The Authority

If you like adventure, pick up Planetary

If you like epic stories like Lord of the Rings, pick up Earth X or Kingdom Come

If you like anything with wit like Seinfeld, pick up X-Factor

If you ever liked any stories of anti-heroes or indisitinguishable good guys and bad guys, pick up 100 Bullets, or Sin City books like That Yellow Bastard, The Hard Goodbye, A Dame To Kill For, Hell and Back.

If you like anything with pure bad asses running around being all bad ass, pick up Lone Wolf & Cub volumes 1-29. Any Garth Ennis MAX Punisher would also be recommended.

If you ever liked any of those movies or TV show where you didn't know what the hell was going on, just pick up a Grant Morrison comic, like The invisibles, Doom Patrol, Marvel Boy, Fantastic Four: 1234.

If you have any idea of the kind of comics you'd like to read, I can certainly think of something that may be to your tastes.

FancyMcFancy
02-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Whoa thanks for all the help. I'll probly go and pick these up asap. but yeah to help you more I really like dark humor, satire that kinda thing. I like the antihero, I also dont mind some romance and the like. But thanks, this is very helpful!

Deep_Sleeper
02-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Whoa thanks for all the help. I'll probly go and pick these up asap. but yeah to help you more I really like dark humor, satire that kinda thing. I like the antihero, I also dont mind some romance and the like. But thanks, this is very helpful!

For dark humour, definitely pick up anything Garth Ennis related. I strongly recommend Preacher.

Infra-Man
02-18-2007, 06:24 AM
Hmm... sounds like you're pretty open to anything that's good. Will try to mention all the other really good stuff already mentioned in the thread.

Okay, well, if you find that you like Preacher, Transmetropolitan is worth a look. Transmetropolitan is a dark, bizarre futuristic story that follows journalist Spider Jerusalem, who is essentially Hunter S. Thompson with a gun that makes people crap themselves.

If you like Sin City, check out Frank Miller's incredible run on Daredevil (which you can get in three paperback volumes) as well as his two most famous Batman stories, Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

I pretty much recommend anything by Brian K. Vaughn. He's a really good writer, and it's pretty easy to get into his stuff. Definitely flip through Y: The Last Man (about a strange event that wipes off all the males on Earth save for a guy and his monkey), Ex Machina (about a superhero who becomes mayor of New York City), and Runaways (about kids who learn their parents are supervillains).

For some other good reads, you may want to look into the works of Chris Ware (Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth), Daniel Clowes (Ghost World, David Boring), Charles Burns (Black Hole), Craig Thompson (Blankets), and Adrian Tomine (Optic Nerve). Obviously flip through some of the collected volumes of these guys before buying since they may not be what you're looking for.

Deep_Sleeper
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah, you definitely can't go wrong with Vaughan. I'd also recommend his underrated The Hood. Very cool comic.

Michael P
02-18-2007, 12:37 PM
Well, if you liked "Dangerous Habits," I'd recommend trying Ennis and Dillon's next book in the Hellblazer series, "Fear and Loathing." And there are several volumes of Hellboy, if you haven't read them all yet- six volumes and two volumes of Weird Tales. Also, there are five volumes of BPRD stories as well.

Six of BPRD, actually. Number 6 came out very recently.

The only other thing I can think to throw into the pot is some back issues of Deadpool. Joe Kelly's run on that series is one of my favorite antihero stories of all time. At the very least, you owe it to yourself to pick up issue 11.

Jack Zodiac
02-18-2007, 01:39 PM
Ah, that's right. I actually pick up every series when they come out, but wind up getting the trades eventually, too, because I like being able to showcase "the Mignola collection" on my bookshelf.

And Fancy, like Mike said, if you enjoy dark humor, satire and anti-heroes, Deadpool is an excellent book. Unfortunately they've never collected any of Joe Kelly's incredibly thirty-something issues in trades, so you'll have to go backissue diving.