PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman: Officially Royally Screwing the Pooch

Augie De Blieck Jr.
02-16-2007, 07:31 PM
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=101741

WONDER WOMAN #5 (JAN070319), which was previously slated to feature the final chapter of the 5-part story "Who Is Wonder Woman," will feature a new story when it arrives in stores on March 14.

This new story is by Will Pfeifer (CATWOMAN, AMAZONS ATTACK), with art by Jean Diaz, Geraldo Borges and Wellington Diaz and a cover by Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson. [...]

Chapter five of "Who Is Wonder Woman" will be rescheduled at a future date. [...]

Also, orders for the WONDER WOMAN: WHO IS WONDER WOMAN? HC (FEB070299) have been cancelled. This title will be resolicited at a future date.

Wow. Words fail me. This is SO screwed up, it beggars the imagination

-Augie

torippu
02-16-2007, 08:57 PM
Feel sorry for me - I actually decided to read this monthly waaay back when it started.

First Batman, then Action Comics and now Wonder Woman, could DC have done a worse job managing their books starring the big 3? Each of these titles has had their contents changed at some point.

Deathstroke
02-16-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm so glad I bailed on Wonder Woman at the end of her previous series.

sschroeder
02-17-2007, 04:03 PM
I've been buying this series since the relaunch as well. This is disappointing news. Not finishing a kick off story called "Who is Wonder Woman?" is ridiculous.

Taking my money for 4 parts (because I'll still be seduced by the Dodson's art and buy # 4 next week) and then not finishing the last part is also bordering on unethical.

This fill in isn't even from the writer taking over after Heinberg. Very odd.

Augie De Blieck Jr.
02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
At this point, they need to just suck it up, put in a fill-in team to finish the story (assuming Heinberg discussed how the story ends when he started it), and move on with their lives. To continue delaying a storyline to such ludicrous extremes is silly.

-Augie

torippu
02-17-2007, 04:40 PM
I've been buying this series since the relaunch as well. This is disappointing news. Not finishing a kick off story called "Who is Wonder Woman?" is ridiculous.

Taking my money for 4 parts (because I'll still be seduced by the Dodson's art and buy # 4 next week) and then not finishing the last part is also bordering on unethical.

This fill in isn't even from the writer taking over after Heinberg. Very odd.
Did the PR mention anything about this being a tie-in to the Amazons Attack mini that Will Pfeifer is writing?

Augie De Blieck Jr.
02-17-2007, 04:48 PM
Quoting the rest of the release now:

This new story is by Will Pfeifer (CATWOMAN, AMAZONS ATTACK), with art by Jean Diaz, Geraldo Borges and Wellington Diaz and a cover by Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson. In it, Wonder Woman learns that a new women's movement has begun, inspired by her killing of Max Lord - and leaving Diana torn between the good intentions of the movement and the validation it gives her violent act. Worse yet, she's ordered to investigate a possible connection between Wonder Woman and this movement by Sarge Steel and the department of Metahuman Affairs!

-Augie

DWEarhart
02-18-2007, 05:30 PM
Here's a response from Heinberg.

Friday evening at his myspace page, Allan Heinberg has posted an update on his Wonder Woman arc. As DC Comics announced last week, issue #5 (which was to be the final part of Heinberg's arc which launched the new series) saw its contents change, due to lateness. The new issue #5 will be an unconnected story, written by Will Pfeifer, with art by Jean Diaz, Geraldo Borges and Wellington Diaz which will clear the way for March's issue #6, where novelist Jodi Picoult will begin her run on the series.

In regards to the final chapter of his "Who is Wonder Woman" arc, Heinberg wrote:

The WONDER WOMAN Update

Hey, everybody,

Because of our ongoing scheduling issues, DC Comics has been generous enough to allow Terry Dodson and me to make the conclusion of our "Who Is Wonder Woman?" arc into an extra-sized special issue, complete with guests artists, a backup story, and several cool additional features. The scheduling shift will allow a newly solicited WONDER WOMAN 5 to ship on schedule, an issue that ties into Jodi Picoult's upcoming run on the book and Will Pfeiffer's AMAZONS ATTACK event.

Oh, and I'm told WONDER WOMAN 4 is allegedly in stores next week. Hope you enjoy it.

All best,

Heinberg

Due to the weekend, DC Comics has not confirmed this news.

torippu
02-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Hopefully, it will all make sense when the last of Heinberg's issues ships. In the meantime, I wonder if this delay will affect the Dodson's status on future issues as I think they were solicited as doing the art for a number of Picoult's issues.

dancj
02-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Moo hoo ha ha haaaa!!!

It's all part of my grand plan to get everyone waiting for the trades and kill off monthly comics once and for all!!!!

The Mirrorball Man
02-19-2007, 04:58 AM
Moo hoo ha ha haaaa!!!

It's all part of my grand plan to get everyone waiting for the trades and kill off monthly comics once and for all!!!!

Monthly comics? Do these things still exist?

pmpknface
02-19-2007, 05:17 AM
I wanted to laugh when I saw this, but it's just too sad. For the 1st time since the 80's WW's had a great jumping on point and they f'd it up but good!

Glad I'm in this in tpb's only...

torippu
08-15-2007, 07:42 AM
Something else about the WW relaunch to groan about:

Simone's Wonder Woman Debut Pushed Back a Month (http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=125340)

DC COMICS UPDATES CONTENTS FOR WONDER WOMAN #13

DC Comics announces that the new WONDER WOMAN creative team of writer Gail Simone and artists Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson, originally set to debut in issue #13, now will make its debut one month later, in issue #14, which will be solicited in the September Previews for November instore.

Issue #14 will be available with a cover by Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson and a variant cover by Michael Golden.

Instead, WONDER WOMAN #13 (AUG070262) will feature a story by J. Torres with art by Julian Lopez (SUPERMAN CONFIDENTIAL) & Bit and a cover by Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson. In this issue, the war with the Amazons may be over, but the wounds haven't even begun to heal. Wonder Woman has her hands full with anti-Amazon sentiment in America, much of it targeted toward Wonder Girl! When it comes to hate and fear, even a magic lasso can only do so much!

This issue guest-stars Wonder Girl, whose current miniseries is written by J. Torres.

“The reason we pushed back the new team's start is that Terry had a few other commitments, and we wanted to make sure we wouldn't have to interrupt his and Gail’s run with a fill-in issue,” says Senior Editor Matt Idelson.

I was going to give Gail the benefit of the doubt here but think that her run may be a good jumping off point. This book is just not as interesting as those first couple of issues anymore.

pmpknface
08-15-2007, 07:48 AM
Yup! Now, I'm sure Gail will do well but here's what sucks...

This has been solicited for - right? So everyone's placed orders for it already. People may now have ordered it that don't want it yet, and retaillers (who may be able to alter their own orders) probably went heavy on it.

So wrong! If you have to delay it, I do it but throwing an issue in there? Ugh...

FunkyGreenJerusalem
08-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Feel sorry for me - I actually decided to read this monthly waaay back when it started.

First Batman, then Action Comics and now Wonder Woman, could DC have done a worse job managing their books starring the big 3? Each of these titles has had their contents changed at some point.

What happened with Action?

I'm a trade man and I picked up that fantastic Busiek and Niciezia arc, with The Auctioneer, and I'm yet to see a second trade.
They are keeping that team on the title aren't they?

torippu
08-15-2007, 09:04 PM
What happened with Action?

Hmm, I don't remember the specifics, but I think that we were referring to the time where the Johns/Donner/Kubert run was stopped mid-arc (possibly just before the 3D issue) and then DC threw some stories in there until they could get back on schedule. Somebody correct me if I am wrong - I don't read the book.

torippu
09-18-2007, 04:39 PM
More fuel for the fire:

DC COMICS ANNOUNCES CONTENT UPDATES FOR ISSUES OF SUPERMAN AND SUPERMAN ANNUAL #13

Several issues of SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN ANNUAL #13 have changed contents as detailed below.

SUPERMAN #668 (AUG070237) now will feature the story solicited to appear in SUPERMAN #669. In this issue, written by Kurt Busiek with art by Rick Leonardi and Dan Green and a new cover by Renato Guedes and Wilson Magalhaes, The new 3-part story “The Third Kryptonian” gets under way. A year ago, Superman learned of another Kryptonian on Earth. Now the hunt goes into overdrive, as the Metropolis Marvel and the Dark Knight Detective’s search takes them from China to Gotham City to California and more. Plus, important developments for Superman’s foster-son Chris Kent, who also gets to meet Robin the Boy Wonder!

SUPERMAN #668 (AUG070237), which features a new cover by Renato Guedes and Wilson Magalhaes, is available for order adjustment through the Final Order Cutoff date of September 20, and is scheduled to arrive in stores on October 10.

SUPERMAN #669 (AUG070238) now will feature the story solicited to appear in SUPERMAN #670. In this issue, written by Kurt Busiek with art by Rick Leonardi and Dan Green and a cover by Jesus Merino, secrets of Krypton’s past are revealed in “The Third Kryptonian” Part 2 of 3, as survivors and enemies come fast and furious in a centuries-spanning story of interstellar adventure and survival. But someone’s stalking the third Kryptonian…and now he’s after Superman, too!

SUPERMAN #669 (AUG070238) is scheduled to arrive in stores on October 24.

SUPERMAN #670 (SEP070182) now will feature a story solicited to run in SUPERMAN ANNUAL #13. In this issue, written by Kurt Busiek with art by Rick Leonardi and Dan Green and a cover by Jesus Merino, it’s the slam-bang, no-holds barred conclusion of the 3-part story “The Third Kryptonian,” as the entire Superman family — Superman, Supergirl, Power Girl, Krypto, Chris Kent and even Batman — makes a desperate last stand against a deadly threat to every Kryptonian in the universe!

SUPERMAN #670 (SEP070182) is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 7. Please note that this issue will have 48 pages with a cover price of $3.99 U.S.

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #13 (SEP070183) now will feature a lead story written by Kurt Busiek with art and cover by Carlos Pacheco and Jesus Merino. The big-action finale to the “Camelot Falls” epic! It’s Kryptonian versus magic, in an all-out confrontation between Superman and Arion, beneath the Atlantic. But how does Superman battle a sorcerer? And what does it mean for the fate of the world? The answers involve tidal waves, shipwrecks, secrets, revelations, New Gods, monsters, a walk through time with the Phantom Stranger and the truth about Khyber. Don’t miss the climactic chapter of a story that will have repercussions for Superman and his world for years to come.

In the backup story, written by Busiek with art by Renato Guedes and Wilson Magalhaes, the Superman family — including The Man of Steel, Lois Lane, Chris Kent, Jonathan and Martha Kent and others, are reunited for what may be the last time.

SUPERMAN ANNUAL #13 (SEP070183) is scheduled to arrive in stores on November 28.

Because of these changes, these issues will be made returnable at a later date. DC Comics apologizes for any inconvenience this may cause.

I'm definitely not a big fan of this new policy of finishing a late story arc in an Annual mentality. Is it that hard to cancel and resolicit books? Can't the publisher just skip that issue number and come back to it once the arc is completed?

Augie De Blieck Jr.
09-18-2007, 05:49 PM
It's getting impossible to follow any DC series at the moment, because the storylines are being interrupted and pushed up all over the place. It's fun to watch from the sidelines, but I imagine it would be annoying if I followed these books from month to month.

DC right now is making the best argument for waiting for the trade ever.

-Augie

Cayman
09-18-2007, 06:08 PM
More fuel for the fire:

I'm definitely not a big fan of this new policy of finishing a late story arc in an Annual mentality. Is it that hard to cancel and resolicit books? Can't the publisher just skip that issue number and come back to it once the arc is completed?

Wow, that's insane.

MartinRedmond
09-18-2007, 06:31 PM
What if you buy a trade that has reference to events outside the trade?

Augie De Blieck Jr.
09-18-2007, 07:56 PM
I'm suddenly reminded of the song, "I'm my own grandpa," and I'm not sure why.

So, Who's On First?

-Augie

panjisudoyo
09-19-2007, 01:25 AM
The ironic thing is that these "rescheduling" and "reshuffling" problems happened to the "relaunches" of the big three..Without these problems, DC would have made Action Comics, Batman and Wonder Woman a force to be reckoned with.
But now?..They've virtually disappeared..Sad.

kevhines
09-19-2007, 06:55 AM
DC right now is making the best argument for waiting for the trade ever.

Except I can't follow DCs TP collection either.
I had heard good buzz about their Superman books so I looked at the trades, and all the trade dresses were all over the place, numbers made no sense - I couldn't tell what was collected from when, and it certainly doesn't feel like everything is collected.

So I shook my head and decided I didn't care THAT much.

Augie De Blieck Jr.
09-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Sometimes, Kevin, the best way to save money is to wait it out. Then, Marvel and DC will give you reasons to keep the greenbacks in your wallet. I love this business!

-Augie

pmpknface
09-21-2007, 06:28 AM
And now there's this...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11909

Orders for the SUPERMAN KRYPTONITE HC (AUG070281) are cancelled. This title will be resolicited at a later date.

torippu
09-21-2007, 09:24 AM
And now there's this...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11909

Orders for the SUPERMAN KRYPTONITE HC (AUG070281) are cancelled. This title will be resolicited at a later date.

Dude - where have you been? Like jury duty or something? :p
I think Augie ranted about this in a podcast recently.
:D

pmpknface
09-21-2007, 10:24 AM
HAHAHA! Yeah, I'm just back on-line for real today. I was on for a few minutes on like Wed night.

I'm just kinda peeved on this one because I really wanted that Supes book, and I hardly EVER look forward to a Superman book. Plus I pimped it out on a Previews Podcast.

I also noticed that a Sienkiewicz book from Top Cow was resolicited. DAMN! I wanna see that!!!

FunkyGreenJerusalem
09-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Except I can't follow DCs TP collection either.
I had heard good buzz about their Superman books so I looked at the trades, and all the trade dresses were all over the place, numbers made no sense - I couldn't tell what was collected from when, and it certainly doesn't feel like everything is collected.

So I shook my head and decided I didn't care THAT much.

Just get the 'Back In Action' trade.

My new system for Superman (or only system as I've never followed him before). is buy the one's that have 'Busiek' or 'Morrison' written on the spine.
The rest are just filler.

pmpknface
09-28-2007, 05:51 AM
And it continues...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=11983

DC COMICS ANNOUNCES CONTENT UPDATES FOR "BLUE BEETLE"

DC Comics announces that the story originally solicited to appear in BLUE BEETLE #21 now will appear in issue #22, with a new story running in issue #21.

Augie De Blieck Jr.
09-28-2007, 05:47 PM
The story from issue #21 will appear in BLUE BEETLE ANNUAL 2008.

I kid.

Or I make a bold prediction. YOU make the call.

-Augie