PDA

View Full Version : Is it Ult. Spider-Man that good?

TransformersFan
02-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Is Ultimate SM that good? This is the only Ultimate title that i dont collect. My impressions are that it was intially written for a younger/teen audience. Is this true? Im generally a big Bendis fan, and I have read the Ultimate Six SM arc (because it co-starred the Ultimates) but may I might like Ult. SM.

Im pretty well versed in Spider-Man origin stories, so I'd rather not start at the beginning. I played the Ultimate SM video game which is considerd canon, and I did like that.

Is this series worth reading? Are there some good volumes to check out? Something high in drama and action?

Gargus
02-11-2007, 01:23 PM
Eh I didnt like it. I like it even less as time goes by. Now its like a race to see who they can ultimize next.

I never was a big spiderman fan myself so I like this since its origin stories allover again. All the charcters are basically exactly the same as 616, yeah I know all the ultimate ones are more or less. But USM is damn near the same thing, even like norman osborne is the same only a updated monster like thing but he is still the same. Just retreading ground thats been done a 100 times over.

That and it has to much WB station teen angst crap in it that really annoys me, it overplays that hand way to much.

Even the ultimates are esstentially the same but atleast they had a unique feel to them thats different from the avengers. Or ultimate xmen for first 25-30 issues it felt different and was interesting. But USM is plain old boring stuff Ive seen done before and done better.

stealthwise
02-11-2007, 01:32 PM
USM has some brilliant arcs, but gets repetitive over time with the exact same formula for pacing and plot throughout several arcs (for "Venom," "Carnage," and "Hobgoblin.")

Get the first tpb and see if you like it though. It's slower paced, and loaded with Bendis-speak, but it's pretty good. Personally, I'm done with the title at this point though.

Thorlief
02-11-2007, 01:33 PM
its a funny time killer..nothing less, nothing more. Not that I'm saying its bad, but it lacks that sense of extreme the Ultimates and Millar's Xmen got

Nitz the Bloody
02-11-2007, 05:54 PM
Though it had a lot of initial promise, I'd say no, Ultimate Spider-Man is not that good. When it became clear that the title was more about the novelty of the different Ultimatizations than the fundamental experience of being Peter Parker, high school superhero, I lost interest.

The book has its moments, but they only occur when the book is focused on the supporting cast and the characters' relationships. Inter-personal drama, as opposed to trite conspiracy theory. When the book is dealing with Goblins, Symbiotes, Clones, etc. it becomes a disjointed mess. And believe me, the book deals a LOT with Goblins, Symbiotes, Clones, etc.

Keehar
02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
This book hasn't been good in years. The Clone Saga was the jump the shark moment for me.

I've dropped this book like a hot potato. Bendis has lost whatever talent he had writing this.

MaxofSteel
02-11-2007, 08:29 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say the title is great. Great dialogue. Great art. Great reimagined origin story.

Check out Green goblin and Venom arcs. Also the Warriors arc was one of my personal favorites of the series as well. I highly recommend USM.

Keehar
02-11-2007, 08:52 PM
Check out Green goblin and Venom arcs.

Venom only had one arc.

Thank god.

But yes, the early Goblin stories were good. So were Doc Ock's.

Omega Alpha
02-11-2007, 08:54 PM
Until 40 issues ago, more or less, it was very good, but now Bendis run out of ideas and is just trying to ultimize every single 616 character, and while still decent, it's nowhere as good as it used to be.

Sparda
02-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Some arcs are good, some are bad. I recommend Volumes 1-6 of the venom arc, as well as hollywood, Ultimate Six, warriors, and of course the recent clone saga. Oh ya almost forgot to add the carnage arc as well. To me those arcs are the awesome of the series, but the rest is ok, but still good to give it a read.

gorthon616
02-11-2007, 10:20 PM
I'm gonna go ahead and say the title is great. Great dialogue. Great art. Great re-imagined origin story.

I don't think dialogue is all that great. It sort of reminds me of Azzarrello's dialogue. At first I thought it was clever and cool, but eventually I realized it was a few cheap tricks that got real old real fast.

Chris N
02-11-2007, 10:31 PM
The first 13 issues were that good. I have two major complaints, but it's mostly very solid and enjoyable.

It's been steadily declining in quality, but I'm still enjoying it.

It, at least in the beginning, was really about capturing the essence of Spidey and retelling the classic story in a modern and expanded version.

Different from the other Ultimate titles which really tried to make fundamentally different characters. This one really captured Spider-Man.

Certainly my favorite Spider-Man book in over 10 years.

Billy Parker
02-12-2007, 01:12 AM
It's a great book. And if you like Ultimate Marvel, then you must own Ultimate Marvel Team Up. Wow, that book is great!!! The TPB collects every issue.

gravling
02-12-2007, 06:10 AM
i've only read a couple of arcs, i think it's so-so. i always got the impression it was marketed to a much younger audience, and the more-often-than-not crummy pseudo-manga artwork always put me off. i think it's probably the weakest 'ultimate' title.

TransformersFan
02-12-2007, 07:32 AM
I maybe wrong in this, but was there ever a fight with Electro in TimeSquare? I loved that part in the Ultimate SM video game, and I wonder if its been captured in comic book form?

killerbass
02-12-2007, 07:48 AM
Even the weak arcs are still pretty good.

Bendis has done a good job establishing USM, and setting it up for the future.

Highlights for me: Both Green Goblin arcs, both Dock Ock arcs, Venom, Warriors, Clone Saga, Annual 1, Super Special, issue 13 (Peter reveals to MJ that he's Spider-Man)...

I would say that the Ultimates is the best comic in the Ultimate universe. Spider-Man is the most fun.

As a bonus, USM comes out every three weeks (usually). Ultimates comes out every three months or so...

--Tom

Arilou
02-12-2007, 08:05 AM
USM is, IMHO, the best Ultimate comic. It has consistently pretty good stories and while it drags a bit at times it is generally a great re-telling of Spidey.

scottv
02-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I love it but that love has faded some over the course of reading the series. But I still think it is an excellent story to read.

flapjaxx
02-13-2007, 11:49 AM
If you're over 15 you're going to have trouble keeping your dignity, like, y'know, um, like, mm. . . . reading the dialogue. n'stuff. :-P

Pages after pages of teeny high school stuff . . . that really doesn't ring true, in my opinion. It's like some 40 year old guy's best impression of what people barely 1/3 his age would sound like. And he does a good job of it, but being in my 20s, it's something REALLY taxing.

With that said, Bendis of course is one of the best comic writers today, so the storylines themselves, and their progression, is pretty good.

Spiderboy-Prime
02-13-2007, 01:02 PM
i enjoy it, id go with everything reccomended and im especially looking forward to the ultimate knights arc, tho i still wish spidey was still with kitty.

gravling
02-14-2007, 12:29 AM
If you're over 15 you're going to have trouble keeping your dignity, like, y'know, um, like, mm. . . . reading the dialogue. n'stuff. :-P

Pages after pages of teeny high school stuff . . . that really doesn't ring true, in my opinion. It's like some 40 year old guy's best impression of what people barely 1/3 his age would sound like. And he does a good job of it, but being in my 20s, it's something REALLY taxing.

exactly why i've never gotten into the title. that and the goofy art.

Arachnid
02-15-2007, 08:00 PM
I enjoyed it all! I recomend the Green Goblin arc, Hobgoblin arc, the Sinister Six arc, the Deadpool arc, the Morbius and blade arc, and the clone saga arc. Those are the best for me.:) :cool:

It's pretty funny too. Especially when he was reading the jokes off to Ultimate Kingpin.:D

Keehar
02-15-2007, 08:40 PM
I enjoyed it all! I recomend the Green Goblin arc, Hobgoblin arc, the Sinister Six arc, the Deadpool arc, the Morbius and blade arc, and the clone saga arc. Those are the best for me.:) :cool:

The Hobgoblin arc was awful, IMO. Same with the Morbius one.

tonearcher
02-15-2007, 10:41 PM
I liked the series even though at times it was childish I thought they handled alot of problems a teenage super hero would really have. For instance when Spiderman wound up fighting (I think it was doc ock) in New Jersey, and had to find a way home, before curfew. And ripping his suit and not having a costume. I thought the series brought a sense of realism.

saintsaucey
02-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Better 10 character limit

sephirothskiller
02-16-2007, 09:42 AM
I was forced to watch the Gilmore Girls *ugh* on TV once and the superfast chat speak in that show reminds me of the way Bendis writes dialogue in Ultimate Spiderman.

kudlaty_true
02-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I didn't read any of the posts above me to not compromise my judgement, so sorry if I barged in in a middle of discussion, but my opinion is this.
I started reading USM while it was already around #68 (First UFF in USM). And I liked it VERY much. I defended this opinion long time, but now... it's kinda changed.
I've red all the issues in a single run. This was most exciting series I could think of. But time has passed, Now I'm reading one issue in a month.. and? I don't even remember when it comes out.
You see, it's like prison break. I've watched entire series up till now in a single run (yes, it took time) and I was like: damn! when will next episode air? I can't wait! I was addicted. But now, when it airs once in two weeks, I'm like "meh" - and the magic is gone. Same with ultimate spider-man and presumably every person here. If it's red in a single run - it's the most exciting comic book series (no kidding here). Everything is like it's happening right before last issue, in one straight story. You can't wait to see what's next. It's very interesting, fun to read, addicting. But when you will reach the point where you'll have to wait a month to read next issue, you WILL whine about last one. Because in my opinion, this comic book is simply amazing, but only if red not one-issue-at-a-time. Exception from this would be clone saga, which was definately better then most issues of all ultimate titles put together, IMO.

riftt
02-20-2007, 01:41 PM
the responses in this thread sum up everything I hate about comic nerds who congregate online

ultimatespyder20
02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Yep, it's tht good, so go out and buy an issue. :D

Alec

ultimatespyder20
02-20-2007, 01:45 PM
the responses in this thread sum up everything I hate about comic nerds who congregate online

Then why the hell do you even get on this site?

Alec

Your Imaginary Pal
02-20-2007, 01:54 PM
I have recently bought the first thee trades. I enjoyed them, but the pacing just really doesn't work for me. I think I'd be dissappointed by what little happens in the monthlies. I mean the first four issues retold a story that was originally told in 8 pages.

So while I tend to like the direction it goes in I think this is a series made for TPB format. It might be that I'm not very patient, but I expect stories to progress rather than lag.

Good in trade form. That's what I have to say.

killerbass
02-20-2007, 01:57 PM

I want to be cool just like you one day. :cool:

--Tom

Guj19
02-22-2007, 07:06 PM
The only portion of USM I thought was particularly weak were the Wolverine crossover issues. I just found myself going "wow, this is pretty retarded." For anyone jumping on, it's not a bad time because, coming out of the clone saga, Peter Parker has a better grasp on the person he wants to become vs. who everyone thinks he is.

scottv
02-22-2007, 10:08 PM
I have recently bought the first thee trades. I enjoyed them, but the pacing just really doesn't work for me. I think I'd be dissappointed by what little happens in the monthlies. I mean the first four issues retold a story that was originally told in 8 pages.

So while I tend to like the direction it goes in I think this is a series made for TPB format. It might be that I'm not very patient, but I expect stories to progress rather than lag.

Good in trade form. That's what I have to say.

I was planning on just buying the trades as well, which I have the first 8 but then I realized that I wasn't patient enough to wait for the trades and so I switched over to the monthly subscription.

MythicBrawn
02-23-2007, 06:32 AM
I have all the trades and went to monthly when the Clone Saga kicked off. Now, I'm debating on sticking with it or switching back to trades. I'm leaning towards trades since I have all the trades for the other Ultimate titles.

desanth
02-24-2007, 12:18 PM
I started at issue 27, when I first found out about UM and through the ups and downs, I've really enjoyed it. I find rereading or reading the trades is the best, like people have said, sometimes not much can happen in an issue(look at #100 for a prime example). I'm impatient though, so I read it as soon as it hits the stores. Ultimates is the best UM title out there, but it never comes out, literally.

PS I actually like the USM art, but I'm a manga/anime reader as well

zeroEDGE
02-26-2007, 03:19 PM
ive read all of them and they're ok, nothing all that spectacular imo. im starting to lose interest in it since the clone saga... that arc was pretty weak

megabyte01
02-28-2007, 08:24 PM
ive read all of them and they're ok, nothing all that spectacular imo. im starting to lose interest in it since the clone saga... that arc was pretty weak

I disagree. i had trouble with the clone saga for while i was reading it because i could not see what the point of the story was. i couldn't see what it was trying to tell us about the characters or the world in general. after issue 104 it made sense to me.

in all the preceding issues, without trying to ruin it for those waiting on the trade, peter's life has gone sprialing into chaos. so many bad things happen to the poor guy that he should have just given up. but when peter finally meets the man responsible for ruining his life, he fights to stop him and suceeds against all odds.

the important thing is that is Peter Parker as himself, not as spider-man, who is strong enough to fight the villians who have plagued his life. having the fortitude to continue on in the face of overwhelming odds is the power changes the world, and peter has that power.

that's what i took away from the story, at least that's as much as i can take away without spoiling some interesting elements. i had gotten lost in the middle of the arc, but the strong epilogue managed to tie everything together and convince me that usm is worth at least one more issue.

barbarous j
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
It has some serious strengths, like revamping origins to make more sense (like Venom and Carnage) or rehabilitating complete catastrophes (Clone Saga). Sure, some arcs are weaker than others, but overall its really strong, particularly as far as characterizations go. Early on, Peter Parker really seemed like he was the guy living a fanboy's wetdream, and now he seems like a young kid who's been forced to grow up too fast. And I don't mean they simply told us that he was those things, but he actually displayed it. That is, as far as I'm concerned, the book's biggest strength. It may not be head and shoulders above everything else in that regard, but its good.

seeso
03-02-2007, 03:04 AM
I haven't read an issue of USM that I didn't like, which is more than I can say for UXM.

Predator
03-02-2007, 07:23 AM
I'd say the first 50-60 issues are great Spidey stories. Good character interaction, good updates on some of the villains, just great stories period. After that point, I thought the series suffered and dropped it. I bought the Warriors trade and liked it, but it wasn't enough to get me to come back. I'll try the Clone Saga when it comes to TPB and see what I think.

ubergeekette
03-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Issue #13 is my top three mainstream comics ever. Perfect storytelling, art, funny, and I felt it had an ounce of realness to it. (I got it signed by Bendis but later lost it!)
I was turned off after the whole Spidey/Wolverine switch over, and started reading sparingly after that. Although I did like how they handled the Black Cat dynamic.

CMBMOOL
03-05-2007, 06:18 AM
Great series a real twist on some classic Storylines and plots, if you're tired of regular Spider-man in the 616 Universe then here's a remdy for your sickness. :D

Crimson
03-07-2007, 05:21 AM
The first 50 issues or so are gold. After that it goes slighty down hill and then the Clone Saga was actually hard to read. I say hard to read it, it was more "God I don't want to read it. I know they can do so much better".

I'm hoping it'll pick back up because if not I'm out.

megabyte01
03-08-2007, 02:38 AM
The first 50 issues or so are gold. After that it goes slighty down hill and then the Clone Saga was actually hard to read. I say hard to read it, it was more "God I don't want to read it. I know they can do so much better".

I'm hoping it'll pick back up because if not I'm out.

the clone saga was hard to read. it was like a season finale and season premere rolled into one arc. after reading the whole thing i think it was an attempt to fix the book. by shaking up the status quo, bendis put new and old story elements in a mixture that hopefully works.

After reading 106, i felt optimistic about the book's future. it seems like the important old elements are back, and the new ones are giving the book new life. i'd recomend at least checking out 106. browse a couple pages (before the store owner catches you!) and see if it piques your interest.

Adset
03-10-2007, 03:07 PM

Bingo. Most of what Bendis writes is much easier to take in TPB form. Individual USM issues don't do it for me, but sitting down and reading an entire arc in one sitting isn't awful. I think I have the first seven USM trades, slowly but surely trying to catch up

I'm 22, not *that* far removed from being a teenager. Most teenagers don't have the speech impediments that Bendis assumes they do; as someone else said, it sounds like a 40 year old is writing a bunch of 15 year olds. If a friend of mine ever came up to me talking like they do in USM, I'd probably be forced to punch him in the kidney. I understand why so many people love USM #13, but the dialogue was brutal. BRUTAL

killerbass
03-10-2007, 05:53 PM
I'm 22, not *that* far removed from being a teenager. Most teenagers don't have the speech impediments that Bendis assumes they do; as someone else said, it sounds like a 40 year old is writing a bunch of 15 year olds. If a friend of mine ever came up to me talking like they do in USM, I'd probably be forced to punch him in the kidney. I understand why so many people love USM #13, but the dialogue was brutal. BRUTAL

I work in a high school, and I have to disagree with you. The biggest difference between teenagers and Bendis's dialogue is the profanity that streams out of the mouths of teenagers.

I am not saying that Bendis's dialogue is spot on, but it's miles closer to reality that the cringe inducing "teen dialogue" that Stan Lee used back in the 60s.

Check out the letters pages from ASM in the 1960s -- even then the readers gave Lee a hard time about his dialogue.

Just my 2,
Tom

Adset
03-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Maybe it depends where you live. I grew up in an area where we didn't communicate as if we were borderline retarded

Hitman Tommy
03-15-2007, 10:54 AM
I haven't found much problem with the writing however I'm relatively new to the series. I started about a year, truth be told when I heard the Kitty Pryde was going to be in the series for awhile that's what actually convinced me to start picking it up. However I've liked it so much that I've started picking up the trades and have read thru the first couple volumes and I'm very dissapointed I hadn't gotten into sooner.

codonatriple
03-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Spider-man is a very enjoyable series that continues to be enjoyable in the same ways it always has been. You have to give Bendis and Bagley kudos for sustained excellence.