PDA

View Full Version : Quotes of(that define) Wisdom

SAMAS
01-31-2007, 01:51 PM
I don't think we had a quotes thread of people just being wise. Understandable, as it's kinda common, but we don't deal in common sources, do we?

"It's regrettable that in this vast universe, space without end, and who knows how many livable worlds, some men refuse to grow to match in size, to leave behind their selfish ambitions." -- cmdr. Hawkins(Vehicle Volton)

Guy1
01-31-2007, 02:08 PM
"Grandmother said this: People who steal things, lose something even more important."-Tendo Souji.

Flashfan
01-31-2007, 02:10 PM
"Bitch better have my money."-Some Random Pimp
"Silly Bitch Yo Weapons can not harm me I'm the mother fucking Juggernaut!"- Juggernaut

sun tzu
01-31-2007, 02:11 PM
Shinichi Kudo to his "rival" detective, Heiji: "Who said anything about winning or losing? What matters is the truth...Because there's always only one."

(I'm not certain, but I think the English version was "one truth prevails". I'm translating from the French version I own.)

Guy1
01-31-2007, 02:17 PM
I would also like to add my own.

"It's fiction, roll with it."-Guy1

Arilou
01-31-2007, 02:39 PM
"There is a single bright light of science, and to brighten it anywhere is to brighten it everywhere." -Isaac Asimov.

"The Amazing thing about the religion of science, what separates it from all the others, is that it works and that it's curses can kill." -Isaac Asimov

"I do not fear computers; I fear the lack of computers." -Isaac Asimov.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -Isaac Asimov.

"The earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot forever stay in a cradle." -Konstantin Tsiolkovsky.

lucifernomi
01-31-2007, 03:06 PM
"I don't believe it!" - Luke
"That is why you failed." - Yoda

NilExtropus
01-31-2007, 03:10 PM
"If you were really a powerful swordsman, you would know not to challenge me in the first place" - Hawk - Eyes Mihawk

The Dog
01-31-2007, 03:34 PM
Usopp, despite being a coward, proves quite wise when it comes to bravery.

"LISTEN, CHOPPER! For a man... Even... E-Even if... h-he's about to die... Facing fierce enemies... E-Even if... There's no way... he can beat the enemy... There is a time ...when a man ...will not run from a fight. That time is when his nakama... When his nakama's dreams... are laughed at!"

-- Usopp, One Piece*

*There's some other characters speaking and action going on during this, but it's just as good without it.

JerrBear81
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
"With great power comes great responsibility."

"DO NOT EAT THE YELLOW SNOW!"

Motormouse
01-31-2007, 03:55 PM
G'Kar

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/1489/G_itb/itb_gkar3.jpg

If I take a lamp and shine it toward the wall, a bright spot will appear on the wall. The lamp is our search for truth... for understanding. Too often, we assume that the light on the wall is God, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search. The more intense the search, the brighter the light on the wall. The brighter the light on the wall, the greater the sense of revelation upon seeing it. Similarly, someone who does not search - who does not bring a lantern - sees nothing. What we perceive as God is the by-product of our search for God. It may simply be an appreciation of the light... pure and unblemished... not understanding that it comes from us. Sometimes we stand in front of the light and assume that we are the center of the universe - God looks astonishingly like we do - or we turn to look at our shadow and assume that all is darkness. If we allow ourselves to get in the way, we defeat the purpose, which is to use the light of our search to illuminate the wall in all its beauty and in all its flaws; and in so doing, better understand the world around us.

It is said that the future is always born in pain. The history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of that pain matures into the promise of a better world, because we learn that we can no longer afford the mistakes of the past.

Why does any advanced civilization seek to destroy a less-advanced one? Because the land is strategically valuable, because there are resources that can be cultivated and exploited, but most of all… simply because they can. You have experienced much the same on your own world. There are humans for whom the words "never again" carry special meaning.

The Universe speaks in many languages but only one voice. A language which is not Narn or Human or Centauri or Gaium or Minbari. It speaks in the language of hope. It speaks in the language of trust. It speaks in the language of strength and the language of compassion. It is the language of the heart and of the language of the soul; but always it is the same voice; it is the voice of our ancestors speaking through us, and the voice of our inheritors waiting to be born; it is the small still voice that says: "We are one". No matter the blood, no matter the skin, no matter the world, no matter the star. We are one. No matter the pain, no matter the darkness, no matter the loss, no matter the fear. We are one. Here, gathered together in common cause we agree to recognize this singular truth and this singular rule: that we must be kind to one another. Because each voice enriches us and enobles us, and each voice lost diminishes us. We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation, the fire that will light the way to a better future. We are one.

sun tzu
02-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I was somewhat struck by the following exchange between Shinichi Kudo and Ran Mouri:
Ran: "Would you denounce him?"
Shinichi: "If the culprit was a friend of mine?"
Ran: "Yes! For example, professor Agasa..."
Shinichi: "I would say it."
Ran: "Really?!"
Shinichi: "Yes. I'd look him in the eyes and say: 'You're the culprit!'"
Ran: "You'd be playing 'Mister Level-Headed'..."
Shinichi: "I wouldn't be playing anything! I'd be exhausted. Exhausted from having explored every single possibility to prove his innocence."

Cleric of Hell's Brigade
02-01-2007, 12:35 PM
To know is nothing at all. To imagine is everything.
-Anatole France 1844-1924

Cleric of Hell's Brigade
02-01-2007, 12:38 PM
The only thing necessary for the triumph of Evil is for Good men to do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Cleric of Hell's Brigade
02-01-2007, 12:42 PM
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-- Frank Herbert's Bene-Gesserit Litany against Fear.

Wannabe
02-01-2007, 01:18 PM
About anything that Rafiki says from Lion King is incredibly wise.

Simba: I know what I have to do. But going back will mean facing my past. I've been running from it for so long.
[Rafiki hits Simba on the head with his stick]
Simba: Oww. Jeez... What was that for?
Rafiki: It doesn't matter, it's in the past.
Simba: Yeah, but it still hurts.
Rafiki: Ah yes. The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it.

Arilou
02-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Rafiki: Sometimes the past hurts.

Actually I'm pretty sure it is "Oh yes, sometimes it does hurt.... And you can either talk about it.... Or learn from it!" *tries to hit him again but Simba dodges*
"Ah! You're learning! So what are you going to do?"
"First... I'm going to eat your stick..."

Stretch Dude
02-02-2007, 06:04 AM

Take. "Take your stick."

...Damn, take is a funny-lookin' word. Take take take.

Lance Christopher
02-02-2007, 07:10 AM
Pray to God, but row for land - Russian Proverb

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark; professionals built the Titanic!

Three failures denote uncommon strength. A weakling has not enough grit to fail thrice. - Minna Thomas Antrim

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." as Salvor Hardin.

Green Goblin
02-02-2007, 08:11 AM
Genie to aladdin - the key to winning a girls heart is be yourself

I'm tryibng to reembember the yoad quoitea now

There is try or do not try can't remember the extra words hope you help me out

sun tzu
02-02-2007, 08:41 AM
There is try or do not try can't remember the extra words hope you help me out
I think it was "Do it or do not; there is no try" or something like that.
But I fail to see the wisdom in that quote. I mean, Luke proved him wrong in the five seconds that followed.

Green Goblin
02-02-2007, 01:35 PM
"I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain."
-- Frank Herbert's Bene-Gesserit Litany against Fear.

I din't know that was a actually quote thought it was something the writers of earth worm jim made up thanks for refence who was this person and what was he famous for

Wannabe
02-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Actually I'm pretty sure it is "Oh yes, sometimes it does hurt.... And you can either talk about it.... Or learn from it!" *tries to hit him again but Simba dodges*
"Ah! You're learning! So what are you going to do?"

I rewatched and fixed it.

Gezora
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." as Salvor Hardin.

"Violence is the last refuge of the guy who just got laid out." Gezora

"If the answer isn't violence, DON'T ASK THE BARBARIAN!" Some guy, I don't remember who.

Gezora
02-02-2007, 01:54 PM
I think it was "Do it or do not; there is no try" or something like that.
But I fail to see the wisdom in that quote. I mean, Luke proved him wrong in the five seconds that followed.

Actually, it was, "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." And Luke didn't prove him wrong, because Luke stopped trying to do it. He just did it.

sun tzu
02-02-2007, 02:55 PM
Actually, it was, "Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." And Luke didn't prove him wrong, because Luke stopped trying to do it. He just did it.

Looks like he tried and failed from where I'm standing.

Gezora
02-02-2007, 02:57 PM

Oh, he did it. He just wasn't strong enough to do a lot of it.

Stretch Dude
02-02-2007, 03:41 PM

Then he did not. :D

Ant Crown
02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
"Grandmother said this: People who steal things, lose something even more important."-Tendo Souji.

....Tendo has a Million of them.

Besides...IT'S OBA-CHAN.

Ant Crown
02-02-2007, 04:46 PM
...Does anybody know the Speech from Team America for Verbatim on The: Dick, Pussy and Asshole?

Gezora
02-02-2007, 05:06 PM
...Does anybody know the Speech from Team America for Verbatim on The: Dick, Pussy and Asshole?

We always forget that, despite the idiocy and (occasionally) outright vileness of Stone and Parker's humor, they are a pair of incredibly insightful bastards.

sun tzu
02-04-2007, 03:17 AM
A few from "Penny and Aggie":
"How do we know he'd be bad? All he does is mention issues. He doesn't take a side."
"Aggie...That's how you know." (http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=269)

"We put so much passion in these day-to-day dramas, and the decisions that tell us who we are...Those go almost unnoticed." (http://www.pennyandaggie.com/index.php?p=328)

One from "Fans":
The General is having a talk with the imprisonned Guthrie Carrol, offering to patron his scientific work if he supports her attempt to conquer the multiverse, right after his cousin got killed.
General: "You would have been glorious, Carrol. And with a patron, freeing you from life's trivial distractions, you could be more glorious still! Oh, I know. You don't want to abandon your fannish 'family'. But family hurts us, doesn't it? And then they leave, and that hurts too. Believe me, I know.
Just promise me you'll consider it."
Guth: "I consider everything."
Guth (in his thought bubble): "For instance, I consider this conversation a pathetic appeal to my personnal desires and pains, and therefore irrelevant."

sun tzu
05-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Atticus Finch, from "To Kill a Mockingbird": "If you just learn a single trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view... Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it."

Ghost
05-01-2007, 10:28 AM
"This tea is good. I mean, really good." (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/54374342/?offset=25)

:D

KnownAsWilf
05-01-2007, 11:41 AM
The most practical and dramatic victory of science over religion occurred in the seventeenth century, when churches began to put up lightning conductors.

Isaac Asimov

Eternal Torment
05-01-2007, 01:24 PM
"Find yourself a girl and settle down, live a simple life in a quiet town."
-The Raconteurs

sun tzu
05-01-2007, 01:40 PM
The most practical and dramatic victory of science over religion occurred in the seventeenth century, when churches began to put up lightning conductors.

Isaac Asimov

While I agree with the spirit of the quote, I think there's an error somewhere, because the lightning rod was invented by Benjamin Franklin in the 18th century (and Asimov most probably knew that).

KnownAsWilf
05-01-2007, 02:13 PM
While I agree with the spirit of the quote, I think there's an error somewhere, because the lightning rod was invented by Benjamin Franklin in the 18th century (and Asimov most probably knew that).

I got it out of Darwin's Watch, so I blame Pratchett, Stewart, and Cohen for any errors.

Ghost
05-01-2007, 03:18 PM
Speaking of Pratchett:

"Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time."
-Hogfather

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!"
-The Truth

"The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret"
-The Truth

"Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And in times of starvation too, o'course."
-Small Gods

"Slave is an Ephebian word. In Om we have no word for slave," said Vorbis.
"So I understand," said the Tyrant. "I imagine that fish have no word for water."
-Small Gods

sun tzu
11-25-2008, 10:33 AM
From Sluggy Freelance (small spoiler for that specific arc):

"...I guess because the end never justifies the means except when it does.
You are both friends, who happen upon a devastating war between your two species. You both consider joining your own kind's side. You both consider walking away. Yet you both decided to side with the humans. Why?"
"You're the goodguys?"
"Right. I'm just trying to keep it that way." (http://www.sluggy.com/daily.php?date=070809)

GreatBUM
11-25-2008, 11:07 AM
"Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."

Toku King
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Anything said by either Master Ugway or Mr. Miyagi.

Mr. Primetime
11-25-2008, 02:14 PM
This thread needs more Terry Pratchett.

It is well-known that stone can think, because the whole of electronics is based on that fact, but men spend ages looking for other intelligences up in the sky without once looking under their feet. That is because they've got the time-span all wrong. From stone's point of view the universe is hardly created and mountain ranges are bouncing up and down like organ-stops while continents zip backward and forward in general high spirits, crashing into each other from the sheer joy of momentum and getting their rocks off. It is going to be quite some time before stone notices its disfiguring little skin disease and starts to scratch, which is just as well.

Of course, she made a great play of her independence and self-reliance. But the point about that kind of stuff was that you needed someone around to feel independent and self-reliant at. People who didn't need people needed people around to know that they were the kind of people who don't need people. It was like hermits. There was no point freezing your nadgers off on top of some mountain while communing with The Infinite unless you could rely on a lot of impressionable young women to come along occasionally and say 'Gosh'.

Lancre had always bred strong, capable women. A Lancre farmer needed a wife who'd think nothing of beating a wolf to death with her apron when she went out to get some firewood. And, while kissing initially seemed to have more charm than cookery, a stolid Lancre lad looking for a bride would bear in mind his father's advice that kisses eventually lost their fire but cookery tends to get better and better over the years, and direct his courting to those families that clearly showed a tradition of enjoying their food.

Take it home, Archchancellor Ridcully!

Oh IIIIIII knew a...er...an agricultural worker of some description, possibly a thatcher...
And I knew him well and he - he was a farmer, now that I come to think of it - and he had a daughter and her name I can't quite recall at the moment,
And...where was I? Ah yes. Chorus:
Something something, a humourously shaped vegetable, a turnip, I believe, something something and the sweet and the sweet nightingaleeeeaarggooooooh-ARRGHH oh oh-

lonewolf23k
11-25-2008, 05:35 PM
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." -Isaac Asimov.

I'll see your Asimov and raise you Sun Tzu...

"The art of war is of vital importance to the State. It is a matter of life and death, a road either to safety or to ruin. Hence it is a subject of inquiry which can on no account be neglected"

"Always think of danger in times of Peace. A nation will be destroyed if it's ruler forgets that War exists."

"To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

"You have to believe in yourself."

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

moonknight11
11-25-2008, 06:03 PM
Beauty is truth, truth is beauty, that is all ye know on earth, and all ye need to know-John Keats.

Also Sun Tzu the Mockingbird quote was wrong. I think it was walking in someone else's shoes not skin.

Ant Crown
11-25-2008, 06:14 PM
"Forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
Michelangelo a prophet of the 80's

vycesyn
11-26-2008, 06:51 AM
The notion of picking one time of year to be decent to
other people is obscene because it's actually validating the
notion of being miserable wretches the rest of the year.

House.

Toku King
11-26-2008, 08:13 AM
"And eye for an eye will leave everyone blind."

sun tzu
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Also Sun Tzu the Mockingbird quote was wrong. I think it was walking in someone else's shoes not skin.

Possibly. I didn't have the book on hand, so I looked the quote up online.

Kirayoshi
11-27-2008, 06:19 PM
This thread needs more Terry Pratchett.

Oh, we can do more than that!

LORD, WE KNOW THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE...
THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION.
AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

--Reaper Man

"Look, I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need ... fantasies to make life bearable."
REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASIES TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little--"
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
So we can believe the big ones?
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"Those aren't the same at all."
YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT INTO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET YOU TRY TO ACT AS THOUGH THERE WAS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD. AS IF THERE WERE SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
"But people have got to believe that, or what's the point?"
PRECISELY...PEOPLE NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T REAL. OTHERWISE HOW ELSE MAY THEY BECOME?

--Hogfather

Kirayoshi
11-27-2008, 06:50 PM
Meanwhile, back at Callahans...

"Shared pain is lessened. Shared joy increased."

"You got a hurt and I got a hurt and we share 'em, some-crazy-how or other we each end up with less than half-a-hurt apiece."

"Be a rapturist--the backward of a terrorist. Commit random acts of senseless kindness, whenever possible."

--all quotes by Spider Robinson