PDA

View Full Version : Question

Blake K
01-25-2007, 01:35 PM
Tony, I was curious about your writing process... do you listen to music (if so, what?) or immerse yourself in subject material relative to what your writing (be it film, books, etc.).

Just being nosey.

Also, could I get a listing of all your work prior to Negation?

Tony Bedard
01-29-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for asking!

I see we actually share a few favorite groups, but as it happens I don't listen to music when I work. I get too distracted by it. Oddly enough, I CAN listen to talk radio as I work. Go figure.

In fact, I'm a voracious consumer of news and infotainment. I think a lot of story ideas come from the news or from documentaries on History Channel, Discovery channel, etc.

As for my "processs", by this point a lot of it is internalized to where I don't much think about it. I just ask myself what the "mission" is, what the characters represent or what makes them special when you boil it down, and try to do what fits.

For example, I'm doing a BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL story reintroducing a character called The Wrath, who is a sort of anti-Batman. What that villain represents and how it illuminates certain aspects of Batman's life dictates what the story will be about. As much as possible, In try to make everything in the story play off that central theme/question/controlling idea. In this case, it's a question of whether the tragedy of Batman's parents' murder made him what he is today, or was he born destined to become some sort of driven overachiever no matter what? Nature or nurture?

My story structure guides that I come back to again and again include Syd Field's SCREENPLAY, Denny O'Neil's comics writing guide (which borrows heavily from Field), THE WRITER'S JOURNEY by Christopher Vogler (which just interprets Joseph Campbell's monomyth structure), and the best one of all, Robert McKee's STORY. They don't tell you what to write, but they are helpful in disgnosing the story you're building and identifying where you need to flesh things out. If you're interested in writing, I highly recommend checking these out.

Prior to NEGATION I wrote a bunch of stuff for Valiant, including MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER, SOLAR MAN OF THE ATOM, etc. Don't bother looking for them -- they're all pretty bad, despite great art by Jim Calafiore, Aaron Lopresti, Rags Morales, etc. I also wrote a little for Crusade Comics' SHI: THE SERIES. Again, not great stuff, despite awesome artwork by JG Jones.

Basically, stick to the CrossGen stuff and beyond!

Karl O'Neill
01-29-2007, 07:42 AM
Thanks for asking!

I see we actually share a few favorite groups, but as it happens I don't listen to music when I work. I get too distracted by it. Oddly enough, I CAN listen to talk radio as I work. Go figure.

In fact, I'm a voracious consumer of news and infotainment. I think a lot of story ideas come from the news or from documentaries on History Channel, Discovery channel, etc.

As for my "processs", by this point a lot of it is internalized to where I don't much think about it. I just ask myself what the "mission" is, what the characters represent or what makes them special when you boil it down, and try to do what fits.

For example, I'm doing a BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL story reintroducing a character called The Wrath, who is a sort of anti-Batman. What that villain represents and how it illuminates certain aspects of Batman's life dictates what the story will be about. As much as possible, In try to make everything in the story play off that central theme/question/controlling idea. In this case, it's a question of whether the tragedy of Batman's parents' murder made him what he is today, or was he born destined to become some sort of driven overachiever no matter what? Nature or nurture?

My story structure guides that I come back to again and again include Syd Field's SCREENPLAY, Denny O'Neil's comics writing guide (which borrows heavily from Field), THE WRITER'S JOURNEY by Christopher Vogler (which just interprets Joseph Campbell's monomyth structure), and the best one of all, Robert McKee's STORY. They don't tell you what to write, but they are helpful in disgnosing the story you're building and identifying where you need to flesh things out. If you're interested in writing, I highly recommend checking these out.

Prior to NEGATION I wrote a bunch of stuff for Valiant, including MAGNUS ROBOT FIGHTER, SOLAR MAN OF THE ATOM, etc. Don't bother looking for them -- they're all pretty bad, despite great art by Jim Calafiore, Aaron Lopresti, Rags Morales, etc. I also wrote a little for Crusade Comics' SHI: THE SERIES. Again, not great stuff, despite awesome artwork by JG Jones.

Basically, stick to the CrossGen stuff and beyond!

Tony, while your here.
just curious-
you mention batman confidential which i collect and really like,
how long will your story arc be? 4 issues/ 5/6.

Tony Bedard
01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL arc will be 4 issues long. Rags is producing some excellent work on it, too!

Karl O'Neill
01-31-2007, 09:01 AM
BATMAN CONFIDENTIAL arc will be 4 issues long. Rags is producing some excellent work on it, too!

cool, i'll be buying that too.

i suppose i would be taking the piss if i asked what it's going to about.

the anwser is it's going to be about-BATMAN.

Cheers