PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean stickers off book surface?

whassup_bun
01-23-2007, 09:50 AM
Hi people. Sorry if this thread looks kinda random in this forum but I didn't know where else I could ask this question, I figured well comics should LOOK good as well as Be Good so I thought I'll ask around here..........

See those price stickers and bar code stickers on books, hardcover or paperback, what's the best way to get rid of them without leaving a mark on the book surface? Every time I tried to lift them off they always left some sticky mark or scratch mark on the book, it's annoying me and I can't see the cover art in all its glory. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

elheffe
01-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Nail Polish Remover works on getting most adhesives off, and most graphic novels are printed with coated card stock, so I wouldn't worry about damage to the cover. But uncoated covers, I don't know about their colorfastness.

Brian Cronin
01-23-2007, 02:38 PM
Yeah, definitely use nail polish remover (or lighter fluid). It works really, really well.

As for getting stickers off of thinner covers?

Well, you're basically screwed there. :)

-Brian

dancj
01-24-2007, 04:40 AM
I think most solvents would do the job. So white spirit, vodka, methylated spirit etc...

A few months ago I bought a graphic novel on eBay dirt cheap because it was ex library stock and had a thick transparant sheet glued to the cover. I could peel it off easily enough but it left this all-over coating of thick gloopy glue. Ten minutes with meths and kitchen paper and I had it looking immaculate!

whassup_bun
01-24-2007, 08:05 AM
Cool thanks:)

Jaye
01-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Also there is a product called Goo Gone, which is my favorite choice.

-Jaye

Kid Q
01-25-2007, 08:35 AM
I've had some problems using solvents in the past (it depends on the paper stock of the cover), but I have had good luck using a hair dryer to romove stickers from covers. If you hold a the dryer (on high speed and hot) for about 10-20 seconds over ther sticker you can usually peel them right off.

dancj
01-26-2007, 05:00 AM
I've had some problems using solvents in the past

THat sounds like a confession

Apathy Boy
01-28-2007, 10:58 AM
This thread is great. It's like Martha Stewart for nerds. I'm going to have to try the blow dryer trick.

I also find that a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol work wonders. You need to be careful though, because if you use too much rubbing alcohol and/or rub too hard, you can take some colour off too. I'd suggest practicing this technique on glossy cardstock covers before trying it on something lighter.

whassup_bun
01-29-2007, 08:31 AM
Tried the blow dryer trick since some people have had problems with solvents before. It worked okay, but still a little bit sticky, probably because I didn't do it right. But the feeling of a warm book is very very strange..........