PDA

View Full Version : Thougts on Gears of War

comicvine
12-30-2006, 08:26 PM
So I started playing Gears this weekend and I like the duck and hide aspect but it still feels pretty scripted. I dont feel like there is anything new here?

Thoughts?

Bored at 3:00AM
12-31-2006, 12:30 AM
So I started playing Gears this weekend and I like the duck and hide aspect but it still feels pretty scripted. I dont feel like there is anything new here?

Thoughts?

It is pretty linear in it's game play. The appeal of the game is its visual punch and cinematic spectacle. If you're looking for more options in the gameplay, you can try Rainbow Six Vegas, which allows you to pick several different approaches to the different scenarios.

Leslie Lee III
12-31-2006, 04:28 AM
I didn't like it all that much. I'm at a friend's crib, up at an ungodly hour, and I have a choice between Gears or PS1 games for entertainment. I'm going for the PS1.

The graphics are great, but the design could have been better and I didn't find it at all immersive. The "innovations" weren't really innovations, and I can't honestly say they even made an improvement on the duck and cover thing.

Astonishing X-Fan
12-31-2006, 08:34 AM
One of the greatest FPS of all time.

Amazing graphics, fantastic controls, great cover system, and the multiplayer(especially co-op) is sublime.

comicvine
12-31-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks all, yeah the graphics are really nice. I'll just finish the campaign and then play online. I'm thinking that may be more fun for me.

Xero Kaiser
12-31-2006, 02:48 PM
and I can't honestly say they even made an improvement on the duck and cover thing.

That's just crazy. You can't tell me you don't see the difference between's GoW's cover system and Splinter Cell's, MGS's or GRAW's or...anything really.

I'll just finish the campaign and then play online. I'm thinking that may be more fun for me.

Hell, play campaign with another person. Even in split-screen it's 100x better than it already is.

And you're not playing on "casual" mode, are you?

One of the greatest FPS of all time.

It's not 1st-person

Urusai Wrangler
12-31-2006, 03:36 PM
That's just crazy. You can't tell me you don't see the difference between's GoW's cover system and Splinter Cell's, MGS's or GRAW's or...anything really.

I sure could tell the difference...I thought GoW's was fun. :p

Astonishing X-Fan
12-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah, seriously, play the Campaign on co-op on a hard difficulty. It's tons of fun.

Killer Bee
01-01-2007, 11:05 PM
It's fun, but it's a "been there, done that" feeling. Excellent graphics though...online is fun too.

Alex
01-01-2007, 11:12 PM
I sure could tell the difference...I thought GoW's was fun. :p

I'm crap at Splinter cell, always have been, and i don't know what GRAW's stands for, but in MGS, i never felt comfortable with using cover, mainly due to the series consistantly awkward controls. In Gears, i tried not useing cover fighting the first enemy, and bit it, hard.
Eventualy figured it out and found it easy, though the fact that my guy always seemed to charge into cover and slammed himself up against, say, a brick wall, was kinda weird.

Killer Bee
01-01-2007, 11:21 PM
GRAW = Ghost Recon Advance Warfighter

Excellent game.

Double 0
01-06-2007, 07:43 PM
GoW is an awesome game, IMO. Many of the reasons have already been explained.

Subotai
01-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Do people feel there should be another difficulty level in there, or is it OK as is?

SKETCHSANCHEZ
01-07-2007, 12:31 AM
Do people feel there should be another difficulty level in there, or is it OK as is?

You mean you want it harder than INSANE? Cuz INSANE is pretty damn hard.

I love the campaign, even tho it's pretty short, the co-op more than makes up for it.

Deathmatch multiplayer, however, gets really old, really fast. All of my friends LOVE it, but I just cant get into it like they can.

Nightcrawler
01-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I love GoW. The multiplayer is intense. Easily my favorite game for 360.

Karl H
01-08-2007, 03:06 AM
It was kind of meh for me...

I enjoyed it but found it v.linear, a tad repetitive. The weapons were generally pretty uninspiring (I played all the way through using the chainsaw gun thing and the sniper rifle, except when I needed the Hammer of Dawn and at no point felt the others were effective). The team controls felt like an afterthought in 1P campaign and I thought the whole "train" scenario for the final game although done well was pretty unoriginal (Goldeneye plus others!) I also felt no real association with the final boss. Other than being the guy who killed the CO in Act 1, I don't think Fennix had seen him before then. A bit more interaction outside cut-scenes would have gotten me more involved.

However, graphically, it was beautiful... I also loved the Terry Tate inspired Cole Train.

Of all the games I've played this year I thought that R6 Vegas was much more involving although less polished.

Still, I'll probably buy a sequel... I'm an idiot like that!