PDA

View Full Version : The "Recommend some Marvel gifts for nonfans" thread

jpk
12-16-2006, 07:39 PM
Title says it all (except that the spelling should be recommend), good Marvelites of CBR. I'm out to convert some non-comics lovers, and I need some gift ideas that will get the job done during this holiday season.

Fire away!

Mister Mets
12-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Spider-man Volume 1: A great retelling of Spider-Man's origin, perfect for anyone who can enjoy a great high school drama. This could hook them to the Ultimate Univere, which can lead to an interest in the regular Marvel Universe.

The Ultimates Hardcover 1- The best action movie never made. And the cinematic art style makes it accessible to new readers.

Civil War- An intentionally accessible series, and every issue should be available in some form at your local comic store. The people you're getting this book to will probably have some awareness of it, which just makes it more accessible.

Astonishing X-Men Hardcover 1- A good accessible comic book based on Marvel's second biggest franchise (and a good intro to it.) The art is gorgeous, and the writing is excellent and by someone your friends may already be familiar with.

StoneGold
12-16-2006, 11:54 PM
It really depends on who you are giving them to. You really need to tailor to your audience. Someone who would like Astonishing X-Men might not like the first trade of She-Hulk, and vice versa. Although they are both quite fun. You need to give a better idea of whom you are buying for.

lonesomefool
12-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Agreed that it depends on your audience, but if any of your friends have kids who are younger, I would definately consider giving them some of those Marvel digests from the Marvel Adventures line.

If some of your friends are older and like revenge/dark action movies I would consider giving them some of Ennis' Punisher.

TimGunn
12-17-2006, 05:21 PM
some of my non-comic friends enjoyed borrowing my Supreme Power trades, they are cool b/c they are more adult, they feature super hero types that most people are familar w/ (Hyperion = Superman and everyone knows the Superman mythos to a certain extent), but they are retold so they make more sense in a modern world

and of course the art is excellent, and the writing is pretty good (gary frank and JMS)

not for kids though, some of the women are nekid

400th post! woo-hoo

DubipR
12-17-2006, 05:32 PM
Runaways.
BKV knows how to pull nonfans into his books.

Mister Mets
12-17-2006, 05:46 PM
Some more......

Runaways- Consistently well-written/ drawn. Intentionally accessible to new readers. And the series will become a lot bigger when Joss Whedon takes over.

Essential Spider-man Volume 1- I doubt everyone will appreciate this as it is a bit dated, but it contains a lot of fun Spider-Man stories.

Essential X-men Volume 2- Probably the best Marvel's ever been. Alpha Flight. Mutant X- the strongest X-men villain ever. Wolverine VS The Hellfire Club. Dark Phoenix. Days of Future Past. This was also done when the X-men were really accessible.

Chris N
12-17-2006, 07:23 PM
Ultimate Spider-Man is a great choice.

Everyone who has any passing interest in superheroes tends to enjoy Infinity Gauntlet.

Kevin Smith's Daredevil is something else I've found that people find appealing.

People more into science fiction type stuff may enjoy Paul Jenkins Inhumans.

My favorite Marvel comics every are Stan Lee's Spider-Mans, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone knew to comics.

Though, keep in mind, a lot of people have an unexplainable aversion to superheroes. And it may be better to start somewhere besides Marvel. Depends on the age and experience.

Someone post-20 who read comics as a kid can easily get back into it with something like Ultimates or Runaways. Pre-high school people tend to be less closed-minded than older people and are easier to give anything well-written and enjoyable to. They don't have preformed prejudices entering in. I would totally give them Infinity Gauntlet. Post-20 people who have never read comics, even if they like the movies, are often instinctively opposed to superheroes, associating them with kids stuff. They may need to be suckered into comics elsewise. Not through Marvel.

Perhaps:

Bone, True Story Swear To God, Sandman, Swamp thing (the latter two hard because there are so many books)

Blaze of Glory is a western and may appeal to some. Dreadstar is of course great.

Pheonix-NoRelation
12-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Introduce them to one of the many Marvel movies. Or more likely, they've probably already seen one. Then give them a tpb of said movie.

Red State Cap
12-18-2006, 10:54 PM
Title says it all (except that the spelling should be recommend), good Marvelites of CBR. I'm out to convert some non-comics lovers, and I need some gift ideas that will get the job done during this holiday season.
Fire away!
I recommend old back-issues of the Avengers.

RSC

aeriz
12-18-2006, 11:35 PM
A Marvels HC, and an Uncanny X-Men, Fantastic Four or Amazing Spider-Man omnibus.

sgt pepper
12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Why would you buy someone something they don't want? Here's a reminder of the score: you like comics, your friends and family don't. Buy some comics for yourself, buy your friends and family something they're interested in.

Scott Evil
12-19-2006, 02:47 PM
So I just got Thor: Disassembled & Ares: God of War, awesome TPB by Oeming. Question: I stumbled across Beta Ray Bill: Stormbreaker. Should I pick it up? So far Oeming has yet to fail me, and I don't remember hearing anything too scathing a review.

Any takers? Thanks in advance!

marshal99
12-19-2006, 07:19 PM
Best way to introduce someone to comics is Alex Ross's gorgeous photorealistic art - Marvels HC is probably the best way to go as the series acts as a marvel universe history lesson as well.

BloodRedSandman
12-20-2006, 01:43 AM
Or more likely, they've probably already seen one. Then give them a tpb of said movie.
Ditto. Like my sister is hardly a comic book reader. However she really loved Sin City, and with that she really loved the Frank Miller's Complete Sin City Library that I gave her last year.

That is so far the only time i have given a non comic book reader a comic book for a present.

And I see myself doing the same thing with 300 depending on whether or not she enjoys the film when it comes out.

Post-20 people who have never read comics, even if they like the movies, are often instinctively opposed to superheroes, associating them with kids stuff. Alen Moore's THE WATCHMEN.

BloodRedSandman
12-20-2006, 02:04 AM
Why would you buy someone something they don't want? Here's a reminder of the score: you like comics, your friends and family don't. Buy some comics for yourself, buy your friends and family something they're interested in.
Well said...

However in the main time, leave some of the better comic book trades out on the living room coffee table. I did catch the rest of my family reading Frank Miller's Give My Liberty a few years back. It rather off with my dad. then my sister. However I was really suprised when my mother was reading it too.