PDA

View Full Version : Best Spidey fight?

Thanos6
12-15-2006, 07:48 AM
I'm going to go with his three part epic battle against the original Hobgoblin:

Amazing #249 (in the Century Club, with the Kingpin intervening)
Amazing #250 (in the Hobgoblin's burning headquarters)
Amazing #251 (in the Hobgoblin's battle van, going through NYC at 90 MPH)

Both of them really pushed to their maximum.

Your thoughts?

Mike Cross
12-15-2006, 08:16 AM
Not exactly a "fight" per se...

Spidey/ Juggernaut from Amazing, circa issue 229 or thereabouts

or Spidey/Green Goblin, circa Amazing 39-ish where Norman flys on the cover with spidey wrapped up and mask-less

Keehar
12-15-2006, 10:17 AM
Spectacular Spider-Man (Vol 1) #79: Spider-Man vs Doctor Octopus.

Friggin' awesome issue. They spend the whole issue fighting half way across the city, as Spidey desperately tried to keep Ock away from Black Cat whom Ock is trying to kill for ruining his mass murder scheme.

The fight starts in the hospital where Black Cat is recovering, it spills onto the streets, onto a highway where Ock is pursuing Cat's ambulance, into a train yard, then finally on a construction site.

phantom1592
12-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Amazing 350 vs Doctor Doom.

WOW. THat was the first time I really thought of doom as a real threat!

brundlefly
12-15-2006, 11:01 AM
D'oh! Too late. Between the three of you, you guys have already listed my faves. Spidey's arguably "best" fights with Hobby, Norman, and Doc Ock (loved the preceding issue that had Peter saying goodbye to all his friends/family, since he thought he wouldn't survive his fight with Ock), plus the awesome "David vs. Goliath" battle with Juggy. So I'll add two of my runner-up favorites:

His two-issue fight against Firelord. Had a similar feel to his fight against Juggernaut, since Firelord was one of Galactus' Heralds and all. I liked how Spidey gave up and changed back into his civvies at the end of issue one, but his sense of responsibility made him get back into costume and continue the fight in the next issue, and eventually beat Firelord.

His first fight with Puma. Puma dislocated Spidey's shoulder and almost killed him initially, then hunted him down to his apartment by his scent and burst in through the window while MJ was visiting, attacking Peter when he was out of his Spidey costume, before they took their rematch back outside. Puma's never been portrayed as deadly and formidable since then as he was there in his debut.

Cody H
12-15-2006, 11:57 AM
Damn, great picks so far, folks! I'll toss in Spidey's fight with Venom on that deserted island way back in Amazing #347. Oh, and his battle with Morlun during The Other. You may not like the outcome, but damn that was one hell of a fight.

Sparda
12-15-2006, 12:02 PM
Another great battle of spidey with venom, even though he lost was the 2 parter where venom kidnaps peter's parents. Other awesome fights are what you people already decribed on the posts above. Personal favorite fight is just too damn hard to choose.

Cody H
12-15-2006, 12:06 PM
Another great battle of spidey with venom, even though he lost was the 2 parter where venom kidnaps peter's parents.Agreed. Say what you will about the misuse and characterization of Venom during the 90s, they did have some pretty awesome battles.

Will.S
12-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Oh, and his battle with Morlun during The Other. You may not like the outcome, but damn that was one hell of a fight.
I think pretty much all his fights with Morlun have been great. It always shows Spider-Man firing on all cyclinders by speed blitzing like a madman and using every advantage.

I'll toss in the Spider-Man vs Vermin fight in Kraven's last hunt as among one of the best fights I've read both emotionally and physically. The guy had been locked inside a coffin for days and he goes back to MJ to then go back out again and look for him and they go at it pretty hard in the sewers. Spidey doesn't do too well since both him and Vermin fight in the very cramped sewers and plays it smart by luring him out into the daylight and open space where he has alot more advantage.

Unfortunately other than that, outside of the JMS stuff and onwards I honestly haven't read enough older Spider-Man material to be able list his "greatest encounter" but I'll be buying the Lee/Ditko Omnibus and the great collected editions that come out.

Gamma Burst
12-15-2006, 06:20 PM
Spidey vs. firelord was one of the best fights I've ever seen!

Venom
12-16-2006, 05:07 AM
Spidey's epic battle with Venom through "Amazing Spider-Man #316-318". Not just a great physical battle, but it was a mental fight between two opponents as well. An enemy who knows everything about you and can strike at your loved ones at any time. What do you do? Fight the b@$Ģ%^* to the finish. And if that don't work just try stealing his Symbiote back only to knock them out.

Rahul
12-16-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm cheating here...but the Movie Doc Ock fight was simply the best fight scene I have ever seen....

Harold of the Rocks
12-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Damn, great picks so far, folks! I'll toss in Spidey's fight with Venom on that deserted island way back in Amazing #347. Oh, and his battle with Morlun during The Other. You may not like the outcome, but damn that was one hell of a fight.Yeah, I agree on his fights with Morlun... Peter pushed to the absolute limit. Their 'final battle' (in "The Other") was absolutely brutal.

Y'all named some other really good fights, but as 'iconic' as they are, I can't put the battles with Juggernaut or Firelord at the top... I mean, it was cool to see Spidey even try to fight these guys. The 'event' of him being pitched in combat against them was cool. I just don't think the battles themselves were all that memorable. I mean Juggernaut was Spidey getting swatted about and finally baiting Juggernaut into a huge pool of wet concrete. I'd rather re-read the battle (a few issues later) between Spidey and Mr.Hyde, where Spidey just beat Cobra and effectively tries to prevent Hyde from killing Cobra. That's a better fight to me.

I'm gonna re-read a whole bunch of issues and weigh in again later...

Cody H
12-17-2006, 09:46 PM
Yeah, this thread has me re-reading most of the comics mentioned; good times. Great idea for a thread.

Mister Mets
12-18-2006, 07:52 AM
There have been some great ones, but nothing tops Amazing Spider-Man 229-230, which goes exactly like you expect a battle between Spider-Man and the Juggernaut to go.

The movie battle with Doctor Octopus was also awesome.

A few that I haven't seen mentioned.
Spider-Man VS The Lizard: Spider-Man #1-5: Strangely plays to Mcfarlane's weaknesses. One of Spider-man's most desperate battles ever.
Spider-Man VS Mac Gargan Venom: MK Spider-Man #11: It's a brief battle, but it's excellent, and probably the best Spider-Man VS Venom. Involves an ambush, a bystander with a gun, and everything you can throw at the hero for 28 panels. And the fact Norman Osborn's going after Mary Jane makes it more dangerous.

rwe1138
12-18-2006, 08:57 AM
I like anytime Peter goes into a fight knowing he's way outmatched, but does it anyway, because it has to be done. Examples: vs. Juggernaut, vs. Thanos, vs. Titannus.

sherlockbones
12-19-2006, 08:28 AM
i loved peterīs tour de force during "acts of vengance". although the writers cheated with giving him the enigma power. i think the opener was spidey losing to paste pot pete :D

spideyīs final struggle vs kulan gath over in uxm sent was awesome. totally wtf, peter fighting till the end and dropping dead on the floor. i think it was the most detailed death scene iīd ever seen back then.

i also remember so good fights vs tombstone, but canīt remember which issue.1

LabRat
02-03-2007, 06:22 PM
I'd definitely rate the fight with Juggernaut as one of the top fights, not #1 (I haven't read that many Spider-Man comics to give more) but still way up there.

Dusty.
02-05-2007, 09:02 PM

Most definitely. I also like the first fight against Venom in Amazing Spider-Man #300 and the first fight with Morlun.

tkitna
02-05-2007, 10:25 PM
I always liked the fight between Spidey and the White Tiger in this issue.

http://www.spiderfan.org/comics/images/spiderman_spectacular/010.jpg

Fight went back and forth for pretty much the whole book.

Sophisticated_Gamer
02-05-2007, 10:30 PM
Hmm, well I liked Spideys fight in the last issue of Spider Man finalle, also I liked his fight in the begining of spider man the other...

smartalek
02-06-2007, 12:51 AM
i loved peterīs tour de force during "acts of vengance". although the writers cheated with giving him the enigma power. i think the opener was spidey losing to paste pot pete :D

spideyīs final struggle vs kulan gath over in uxm sent was awesome. totally wtf, peter fighting till the end and dropping dead on the floor. i think it was the most detailed death scene iīd ever seen back then.

i also remember so good fights vs tombstone, but canīt remember which issue.1

I can't remember the specific issue number, but one of the arcs had Tombstone chase Spiderman into the water, then claim that he killed Spidey because he took his mask. Spiderman finishes Tombstone off later on by webbing up his hand, than bouncing off of a wall and punching Tombstone full on. Tombstone's nose bleeds, and than it's lights out.

IRONY...
02-06-2007, 02:15 AM
I remember this fight with Aunt May when he was late for dinner...

Chris N
02-06-2007, 03:41 AM
Not exactly a "fight" per se...

Spidey/ Juggernaut from Amazing, circa issue 229 or thereabouts

or Spidey/Green Goblin, circa Amazing 39-ish where Norman flys on the cover with spidey wrapped up and mask-less

I think you nailed it with those two. My personal favorite is against the Sinister Six, though in Annual #1.

As much as I prefer to be snobby and focus on the older stuff, the Morlun fight was pretty damn good too. So was his fight with Venom on the island, ending in Amazing 347.

And whoever said Firelord, I'll back that.

Beyond that what stands out the most to me is his first encounters with several villains. In particular Dr. Octopus and Electro.

mrc1214
02-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Amazing Spiderman #269-270 Spiderman vs Firelord.

Spiderman puts a beating on Firelord in #270.

Mephistologist
02-06-2007, 05:00 PM
Marvel Knights Spider-Man #3.

The fight between Electro and him was awesome. And Electro fought better then he ever had before. :D

nuclearman
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM

DITTO

Not really a big fight ... I'd call it... Spidey running away .. cornered ... then smashing the living spit out of the former herald of Galactus.

Guy1
02-06-2007, 05:49 PM
In comics: Both fights with Morlun and the fight against Green Goblin after Gwen Stacy died.
In movies: The fight with Doctor Octopus on the train.

BigBoss
02-06-2007, 09:25 PM
I wanna say the battle between captain america and spidey in issue 534!

action was supreme, spidey on how he was thinking of the ways on how to take him down. it just seemed so intelligent.

MAK15
02-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I think tha best fight I've seen spidey in was in New Avengers #20 when he fihgts zombies in Genohsa!

'course, thid is posted right after I read the zombie handbook survival guide for the 50th time, so...

OH! when Spidey fought the Venom-crimelord kid. Realizing both of them had crappy lives, and that the kid uses this suit as a weopon to kill people and such. Yeah, spidey vs. suped up minor, HA!

Nefarius
02-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Most of you have already told the greatest battles of Spidey(especially those with the original Hobgoblin and Doc Ock in Spectacular spider-man).But i enjoyed these 2 very match:

1)Spider-Man vs Green Goblin(Harry) in the six part of "the child within".

and

2)Spidey vs Green Goblin(Norman) in the last part of Revelation(you know the same story that finally ends the messy Clone Saga).

I know that many hate the return of Norman and Howard Mackie wasn't the best of Spidey writers(in fact,he was one of the worst)but i can tell that this battle between Peter and Norman was amazing.