PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Triathlon and Silverclaw

JulianPerez
12-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Triathlon and Silverclaw, the "original" Avengers created by Kurt Busiek and George Perez, are among the more interesting additions to the Avengers roster in some time. The thing that strikes me the most about them is that they are so much in line with the "spirit" of new Avengers members.

Silverclaw for instance, is a great addition because she has what good Avengers should, a connection to the other characters. She's Edwin Jarvis's soap opera baby. She's an Avengers ingenue, in the tradition of Hellcat and Firestar. When she guessed "Captain America" was really a disguised Taskmaster, it showed she had brains.

Oh...and there was that story where she TRANSFORMS INTO A LLAMA and smashes a wall. TRANSFORMS INTO A LLAMA.

Silverclaw's most interesting use was in AVENGERS: CELESTIAL QUEST by "Stainless" Steve Englehart, where she was the young, inexperienced Avenger terrified of sexuality, who gets fellow hero Inertia to open up. Silverclaw as a character changes and grows on camera while we watch.

And then we have the Silverclaw origin arc by Kurt Busiek and Perez.

Silverclaw is from an intriguing region of the earth, and she has an interesting look: with the nose ring and the silver tipped hair all.

I don't think people realize how cool and versatile Silverclaw's power is. She can change into an electric eel-woman and fire electrical bolts. Or become a chameleon and blend in with backgrounds.

As for Triathlon...okay, yes, he has boring powers, true. And they're the kind that are so vaguely defined that they can be virtually limitless. For instance, there's the idea he has three times normal human hearing as well. It prompts jokes like "is IT three times peak human, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?" But still, his over-arching agility, even in the context of the Marvel universe - is something else, and he's done some incredible stuff with it...witness for instance, his "mugging" of the Atlantean control sphere in "Kang Dynasty."

Still, Triathlon had a very nuanced and interesting origin as a disgraced track star. His reaction to his misbehavior is that he is not proud of it, but doesn't dwell on it and let it consume him, as Atlas from THUNDERBOLTS allowed to happen.

And I love the "threes" that keep showing up over and over! Like his THREE Olympic Gold Medals. That's so cool and so very comic book, where the one guy that gets eight limbs is named "Otto Octavius."

In the Kulan Gath story, Triathlon got ALL the best lines. "That's mighty WHITE of you!" Or "I've gonna get some water for the rich lady!" If they ever make a Triathlon doll, that's GOT to be two of the sayings when they pull the chord.

Like Silverclaw, Triathlon worked great in Avengers dynamic. People focus a great deal on the racially charged atmosphere Triathlon brought, but I for one applaud Busiek and Perez for talking about race openly. People forget, however, that Triathlon was a wonderful foil for Ms. Marvel - she was given a second change by the Avengers and was grateful, as opposed to Triathlon, who resented the circumstances of his introduction. The two had chemistry! In fact, I'm surprised Triathlon hasn't shown up yet in Ms. Marvel's own book. They had a Cap/Hawkeye dynamic - conflict that becomes mutual respect.

Cam Man
12-09-2006, 11:04 AM
Triathalon sucks so much. 3 TIMES human strength, hearing, speed, etc. What lame - o powers! Thats why I love him!

StoneGold
12-09-2006, 12:34 PM
And the arguments against them?

http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/6/6f/Triathlon.jpghttp://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/silvcl2.gif

I rest my case.

TimmyTony
12-09-2006, 03:24 PM
And the arguments against them?

http://www.marvel.com/universe3zx/images/6/6f/Triathlon.jpghttp://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/silvcl2.gif

I rest my case.

I don't see your case.
What are you saying that they have "lame", garish costumes and/or looks?
Because if that's the argument, then 98...nah, 100 % of The Avengers are lame.

I agree with everything JulianPerez said.
(Ok, I don't really care for Triathlon, but Silverclaw has tons of potential)

StoneGold
12-09-2006, 04:03 PM
I don't see your case.
What are you saying that they have "lame", garish costumes and/or looks?
Because if that's the argument, then 98...nah, 100 % of The Avengers are lame.

Then why do you read the book?

Seriously, when all is said and done, George Perez: great artist, lousy character designer.

Will.S
12-09-2006, 06:06 PM
I have to agree with StoneGold here, their costumes are really bad.

They could use alot more streamlining or at least in Silverclaw's case, something that resembles a costume. Tri just needs a new color scheme and ditch the 3D Man nod.

superion
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree with StoneGold Triathlon just sucks lame powers, ugly uniform annoying personality a total loser.

SilverClaw looks horrible but at least has some decent powers.

I happen to think Thor, Iron Man, the Vision, Captain America, Hawkeye and Quicksilver all had pretty good costumes/looks. The only one of the major Avengers I disliked was the Scarlett Witch.

They should just go with something similar to the Ultimate Scarlett Witch design when she comes back. I will never understand what artist see in the red costume with that thing on her on her head. It just looks stupid and lame but then they are bringing back Wonder Man's even lamer safari jacket look just when he finally got a cool look with the Ionic energy.

Froggy
12-09-2006, 06:16 PM
good points. watch everybody go gaga over a ult triathlon, if he doesnt get made into a noe shotter by bendis

Nevets F
12-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I never liked the character of Triathalon, but Silverclaw was cool.

XPac
12-09-2006, 07:11 PM
I kind of wish they were doing more with Silverclaw right now. I can't believe Jarvis has no reaction whatsoever to Tony locking her up. Even if Jarvis philisophically is pro-reg you'd think it would be worth a mention.

Siddon
12-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Triathlon- Stupid, wraping him in an African flag was dumb, making him a disgraced black character just like Luke Cage and Falcon, stupid. Giving him the same powers as all the street levels, stupid.

Silverclaw - good character in the sense that she could have potential.... but still years away from being something worth remembering

Shellhead
12-09-2006, 08:15 PM

Seriously, when all is said and done, George Perez: great artist, lousy character designer.

What about Deathstroke, Nightwing, Starfire, Raven and Cyborg?

Michael P
12-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Nightwing

What, you mean this eyesore?

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/9290/grayson2oi4.gif

Fatguy
12-09-2006, 08:45 PM
I actually thought Silverclaw was an interesting character, she just never seemed to get fleshed out properly. Wasn't a big Triathalon fan, but he was an eyesore and that's hard to get around.

Will.S
12-09-2006, 11:16 PM

What's funny is that George's Justice Avenger costume redesign revisits the ugly sensibilities that the Nightwing costume had athough I do like the look on Justice more:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ab/JusticeNew.jpg

Justice: "G...George? What the hell? Why is there yellow metal teeth by my neck?!?"

There are a few redesigns George Perez did that I liked such as the Firestar costume tweaking and his gypsie look Wanda which works fine given her roots and only he can draw that costume well enough to pull it off. Hopefully Triathlon and Silverclaw get redesigns somewhere down the line post Civil War.

JulianPerez
12-09-2006, 11:17 PM
I actually thought Silverclaw was an interesting character, she just never seemed to get fleshed out properly.

Being fleshed out is not one of Silverclaw's problems.

She's had an entire story arc of AVENGERS centered around her, her origin, and where she comes from, and off the top of my head, the only OTHER Avenger that got that was Mantis.

From the Busiek/Perez Kulan Gath story, we got a sense of who Silverclaw is: a hip, modern youngster bobbing her hair to American bands, rather adventurous (we learn she was the earliest to get her nose pierced). She's thoroughly modern, and rational...and this contrasts against her very pre-modern, aboriginal origin - a fascinating conflict, which heats up when she discovers that her Mother did exist and DID love her...only to die.

Did you read AVENGERS: CELESTIAL QUEST? She wasn't just the cypher that provides exposition; Englehart essentially told the story from Silverclaw's perspective - we get an insight into her anxieties about her body and about sex.

Siddon
12-10-2006, 01:19 AM

She's had an entire story arc of AVENGERS centered around her, her origin, and where she comes from, and off the top of my head, the only OTHER Avenger that got that was Mantis.

Black Knight
Vision
Sentry
Spider-woman
Swordsman
Ronan
Rage
Wonderman
Human Torch
Captain America
Captain Britain III
Hellcat

Shellhead
12-10-2006, 05:59 AM

Sure, because it was a lot less garish than this costume:

http://www.titanstower.com/assets/whos%20who/aamembers/pinups/robin.jpg

Holy stoplight, Batman!

JulianPerez
12-10-2006, 07:07 AM
Black Knight
Vision
Swordsman
Wonderman
Captain America
Hellcat

My point there was to show out that Silverclaw is hardly a character that was underused, or underdeveloped and who never got an opportunity to really show her stuff, because she - and her origin - was a central figure of an Avengers story arc, which is not exactly a treatment extended to all members. I was countering the claim that she was not "fleshed out," because Silverclaw and her personality took center stage in the Kulan Gath story and for parts of CELESTIAL QUEST.

As for stories with Wonder Man and the Vision where their origin takes center stage...fair enough. I think you may have forgotten Jocasta as well, who had a story around her and where she came from.

As for the Black Knight...are you talking about his introduction in AVENGERS #70 (which is a Kang-centered story and good old Dane is a guest-star as opposed to the driving, central personality) or another story?

(I've never read the stories of the ones I removed, so I thus can't comment on them.)

stuccoyoutuBE
12-10-2006, 07:14 AM
The "problem" with Silverclaw and Triathlon is that fans of the Avengers never want change, and they rarely fully embrace anyone who's not Cap, Iron Man, Thor et al.
The fact that after 2 very successful years, people still say that New Avengers aren't "the real Avengers" tells me all I need to know.

Oh, and yeah...I like Silverclaw.
Triathlon, not so much.

hawkeye comeback
12-10-2006, 07:42 AM
I love Silverclaw: clever idea changing between more than one animal. Triathlon not so much. and stuccoyoutuBE i agree with you on the cap, iron man, thor front but new avengers aint as good as the classic avengers

the4thpip
12-10-2006, 07:55 AM
Triathlon had his fans.

http://mitglied.lycos.de/the4thpip/triathlon.jpg

Fatguy
12-10-2006, 10:34 AM

From the Busiek/Perez Kulan Gath story, we got a sense of who Silverclaw is: a hip, modern youngster bobbing her hair to American bands, rather adventurous (we learn she was the earliest to get her nose pierced). She's thoroughly modern, and rational...and this contrasts against her very pre-modern, aboriginal origin - a fascinating conflict, which heats up when she discovers that her Mother did exist and DID love her...only to die.

Did you read AVENGERS: CELESTIAL QUEST? She wasn't just the cypher that provides exposition; Englehart essentially told the story from Silverclaw's perspective - we get an insight into her anxieties about her body and about sex.

Nope, I missed Celestial Quest. I came back to the Avengers a while after she was introduced and she always just seemed to melt into the background.

Black Atom
12-10-2006, 11:24 AM

Agreed. What makes him such a good artist, his attention to detail, is what makes him a lousy designer.

SUPERECWFAN1
12-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Someone I wish during Civil War would kill Triathlon for me. I always hated the character and he was the 1 bad thing in Busiek's run on Avengers. I hope clone Thor massacres him.

Kaos
12-10-2006, 03:04 PM
Someone I wish during Civil War would kill Triathlon for me. I always hated the character and he was the 1 bad thing in Busiek's run on Avengers. I hope clone Thor massacres him.

so the only people he would have killed would be "black guys"

....oh yay..

:rolleyes:

(I like Triathlon)

SUPERECWFAN1
12-10-2006, 03:08 PM
so the only people he would have killed would be "black guys"

....oh yay..

:rolleyes:

(I like Triathlon)

I really liked Bill Foster more than Triathlon. Sorry but if Clone Thor has to kill I'd rather he elminate him. Or let the new Thunderbolts take him down.

Tobias March
12-10-2006, 03:14 PM
I would like another writer to give Triathlon a go. Certainly his costume could be redesigned. And maybe go with a new name (why can't he be the new 3D Man? Though it is a silly sounding name) - still he's a char I'd like to see given a role.

John Nowak
12-10-2006, 06:19 PM
I've always liked Silverclaw; she's always seemed to have a lot of potential to me, and the "Spunky teenaged girl in over her head" character is a trope I can't help liking.

Triathalon was, I think, a near miss -- the costume didn't work, and he's based in some way on the 3-D Man, who I'm afraid never really came alive for me.

superion
12-10-2006, 06:49 PM
The "problem" with Silverclaw and Triathlon is that fans of the Avengers never want change, and they rarely fully embrace anyone who's not Cap, Iron Man, Thor et al.
The fact that after 2 very successful years, people still say that New Avengers aren't "the real Avengers" tells me all I need to know.

Oh, and yeah...I like Silverclaw.
Triathlon, not so much.

I have no problem with most of the New Avengers. I even like Sentry. I would also liked to have seen Gravity join the New Avengers at some point or the Young Avengers. But Gravity they kill while a lameass like Trathlon keeps going.

marshal99
12-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Perez has designed the look of several heroes and villains over the years. If i'm not wrong , perez was also the one who designed the pre-crisis robotic brainiac and the lex luthor green/purple armor look.
And i liked his scarlet witch gyspy look design but unfortunately , that design i think only he can draw it well.

Vic Vega
12-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Reasons I actually like Triathalon:

1) 2nd Costume as good an attempt as any to turn the Black Nationalist flag into a supersuit.

2) His powers- Peak Human=Captain America, Triathalon=3X Captain America physically at least. So he's capable of a lot especially if you throw in his speed (around 75 mph, running 120 sprinting) and senses in the mix.

3) His job- When we first see him he's something very much like a motivational speaker, so he's Tony Robbins with superpowers-that's never been done before.

4) His persona-He won't go along to get along. Anyone whose every worked in any type of office situation knows that folks like the Tri-guy actually exist. He didn't just hate everybody, he got along real well with She-Hulk. He was also the first person in the Avenger to realize that Iron Man is an SOB:D. If anyone was around those elitist in the Avengers they'd be P.O'd too:) .

Sliverclaw needed to come from someplace real and not another of those mythical countries Marvel's so fond of. They could have made her Costa Rican or Dominican and it might have been more interesting.

Mikl C
12-12-2006, 04:02 PM
I lurrrrve Silverclaw! She took on that Alchemy guy solo and held her own! She's such a spunky chika <3

Haunt
12-12-2006, 04:39 PM

1) 2nd Costume as good an attempt as any to turn the Black Nationalist flag into a supersuit.

set the black nationalist movement back a good century or so. there aren't many black male avengers to identify with. it was made obvious that the first one was an affirmative action case. the second ended up being a freakish underage kid with a chip on his shoulder; who was soon booted. that leaves another big mouthed black militant and a wannabe hood rat. nothing to be proud of in this bunch.

2) His powers- Peak Human=Captain America, Triathalon=3X Captain America physically at least. So he's capable of a lot especially if you throw in his speed (around 75 mph, running 120 sprinting) and senses in the mix.

which makes him slower than Quicksilver, less agile than the Beast, and weaker than pretty much all of the other Avengers except Captain America; who consistently beats bigger stronger foes that he shouldn't. Triathlon doesn't have the Cap-factor, so that makes his powers kind of lame.

3) His job- When we first see him he's something very much like a motivational speaker, so he's Tony Robbins with superpowers-that's never been done before.

grounds for immediate execution

4) His persona-He won't go along to get along. Anyone whose every worked in any type of office situation knows that folks like the Tri-guy actually exist.

yeah, they are usually named Clint Barton.

He didn't just hate everybody, he got along real well with She-Hulk.

like Clint Barton?

He was also the first person in the Avenger to realize that Iron Man is an SOB:D.

actually that was likely Clint Barton, also.

Sliverclaw needed to come from someplace real and not another of those mythical countries Marvel's so fond of. They could have made her Costa Rican or Dominican and it might have been more interesting.

she needed to not ever exist, imo. a child sponsored by Jarvis coming to the states with a ready-made costume and superpowers? talk about forced. it'd be like Bendis creating Jessica Jones and immediately making her an Avenger (instead of just having her marry into the Avengers so she can appear at any time).

Perez has designed the look of several heroes and villains over the years. If i'm not wrong , perez was also the one who designed the pre-crisis robotic brainiac and the lex luthor green/purple armor look.
And i liked his scarlet witch gyspy look design but unfortunately , that design i think only he can draw it well.

let's talk functionality for a moment. would you really suggest that someone try to fight in what Wanda was wearing? for starters, i'd hope that most romany would be more conservative in dress (bare legs & boobs jutting out?). and how exactly would open toe-d sandals help you kick rear? long flowing cloth everywhere. Wanda's worst enemy, in that costume, was the environment. she's liable to trip over her own costume and break her neck. Shanna the She-Devil has more sense than her

Dermie
12-12-2006, 09:56 PM
set the black nationalist movement back a good century or so. there aren't many black male avengers to identify with. it was made obvious that the first one was an affirmative action case.

That was Falcon, who was the second black male Avenger. The first was Black Panther.

the second ended up being a freakish underage kid with a chip on his shoulder; who was soon booted. that leaves another big mouthed black militant and a wannabe hood rat. nothing to be proud of in this bunch.

There was also War Machine.
Anyway, while Falcon, Cage and Triathlon may not have gotten off to the best of starts, I think all of them have grown beyond the very harsh, limited labels you've put on them--and Triathlon still has so much room to grow and develop.

it'd be like Bendis creating Jessica Jones and immediately making her an Avenger (instead of just having her marry into the Avengers so she can appear at any time).

And yet, despite her involvement with Cage she has appeared in a total of 5 of Bendis' NEW AVENGERS books thus far (and one of those was a tiny, non-speaking cameo). Before NA debuted readers were already complaining how Jessica Jones was going to take over the book and be appearing all the time...and so far she's barely appeared.

John Nowak
12-13-2006, 06:42 AM
she needed to not ever exist, imo. a child sponsored by Jarvis coming to the states with a ready-made costume and superpowers? talk about forced. it'd be like Bendis creating Jessica Jones and immediately making her an Avenger (instead of just having her marry into the Avengers so she can appear at any time).

Personally, I like Silverclaw but I agree with you here -- Jarvis sponsoring a girl who happens to be a superhero was very contrived. Did someone eventually say it was a setup on the part of the charity -- "We have a superhero who needs money, the Avengers' butler wants to sponsor a child, let's match them up so the kid can network?"

Haunt
12-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Personally, I like Silverclaw but I agree with you here -- Jarvis sponsoring a girl who happens to be a superhero was very contrived. Did someone eventually say it was a setup on the part of the charity -- "We have a superhero who needs money, the Avengers' butler wants to sponsor a child, let's match them up so the kid can network?"

the backstory wasn't really delved into, all that much.

Jeremi
12-13-2006, 08:36 AM
I don't really like Silverclaw, but her powers are kind of cool.
Would any one like it if she was used in the new New Warriros series?

Vic Vega
12-13-2006, 08:46 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega

Originally Posted by Haunt

set the black nationalist movement back a good century or so. there aren't many black male avengers to identify with. it was made obvious that the first one was an affirmative action case. the second ended up being a freakish underage kid with a chip on his shoulder; who was soon booted. that leaves another big mouthed black militant and a wannabe hood rat. nothing to be proud of in this bunch.

You race issues have been noted. BLack Panther was the first Black male Avenger and he was nominted by Captain America. Rage was never a hood rat. He wore the urban commando/wrestler gear because when you're 300 pounds of muscle you don't need a costume to scare the bad guys, your presence alone is scary:D .

Also, Hawkeye's issues were completely different from Triathalon's. Hawkeye was used to being in charge at that point and wanted to be again. Triathalon just wanted fair treatment. In addition, Triathalon's motivaitional speaker bit at least is different from the usual cop, scientist,lawyer-types that we get in Marvel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshal99

Originally Posted by Haunt
let's talk functionality for a moment. would you really suggest that someone try to fight in what Wanda was wearing? for starters, i'd hope that most romany would be more conservative in dress (bare legs & boobs jutting out?). and how exactly would open toe-d sandals help you kick rear? long flowing cloth everywhere. Wanda's worst enemy, in that costume, was the environment. she's liable to trip over her own costume and break her neck. Shanna the She-Devil has more sense than her.

Wanda's not a physical fighter. She's a "point and blast" type. Outside out the cape You'll see women dressed that way in the summer (or in the clubs:) ). Anyway, how functional is the average super-suit? How could Black Knight or Hawkeye hit ANYTHING wearing masks that obscure their vision?

Kurt Busiek
12-13-2006, 09:26 AM

Not so she could network -- they were more interested in roping in the Avengers in case her powers went out of control or something -- but essentially, yes. The only coincidence was that Jarvis offered to sponsor a child. That the child chosen to be his sponsee was super-powered was a deliberate choice.

kdb

Haunt
12-13-2006, 02:29 PM
I don't really like Silverclaw, but her powers are kind of cool.
Would any one like it if she was used in the new New Warriros series?

sure, if she got a cooler costume.

Haunt
12-13-2006, 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega

1)
You race issues have been noted. BLack Panther was the first Black male Avenger and he was nominted by Captain America. Rage was never a hood rat. He wore the urban commando/wrestler gear because when you're 300 pounds of muscle you don't need a costume to scare the bad guys, your presence alone is scary:D .

i didn't count T'challa because he's an african and has nothing besides skin color in common with the other black heroes i mentioned. Rhodey basically snuck into the team. i never called Rage a hood rat. i was refering to Luke Cage on that point. Rage was basically a younger version of Triathlon, a big mouth with a chip on his shoulder. heck, Elvin hadn't even been alive long enough to legitimately have a chip.

Wanda's not a physical fighter. She's a "point and blast" type. Outside out the cape You'll see women dressed that way in the summer (or in the clubs:) ). Anyway, how functional is the average super-suit? How could Black Knight or Hawkeye hit ANYTHING wearing masks that obscure their vision?

Hawkeye's costume keeps the sun out of his eyes. and Dane's helmet is tight enough that it doesn't obstruct his peripheral vision at all.

The M.E.
12-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Triathalon bored me to tears, but I remember really liking Silverclaw. And the llama thing is undeniable. Can Captain America or Thor do that? I say thee nay. :)

John Nowak
12-13-2006, 07:25 PM
The only coincidence was that Jarvis offered to sponsor a child. That the child chosen to be his sponsee was super-powered was a deliberate choice.

Yeah, I thought it was something like that.

Of course, it's easy for me to imagine Jarvis sponsoring a child or wanting to do something along those lines -- he works very closely with people who risk their lives on a daily basis, and he doesn't have a family of his own as far as I know. So that comes out of the character very smoothly.

And thanks very much for that Iron Man run. Tony felt like a business executive, and an engineer. It was easy to imagine him hearing about a new self-cleaning litterbox or something, and then spending a few minutes trying to figure out how it worked.

Calybos
12-14-2006, 09:45 AM

So what? People should drop a book just because the costumes are stupid? Not a chance.

Sandy Hausler
12-14-2006, 11:12 AM
which makes him slower than Quicksilver, less agile than the Beast, and weaker than pretty much all of the other Avengers except Captain America; who consistently beats bigger stronger foes that he shouldn't. Triathlon doesn't have the Cap-factor, so that makes his powers kind of lame.

I can't disagree with what you say, but if that's the criteria for disliking a hero, you must hate the Falcon and the Black Panter (two of the other four black Avengers (the others being Photon and Luke Cage -- if there are more, forgive me; my memory isn't photographic)), both of whom have no real super powers (at least none that Triatholon doesn't have). So that's not really a reason for disliking him. I didn't like the fact that he was forced on the Avengers, but after some time with the group, I thought he was an OK member.

Sandy Hausler

EDIT: I guess Rhodey was technically an Avenger when he was Ironman.

Haunt
12-14-2006, 02:26 PM
I can't disagree with what you say, but if that's the criteria for disliking a hero, you must hate the Falcon and the Black Panter (two of the other four black Avengers (the others being Photon and Luke Cage -- if there are more, forgive me; my memory isn't photographic)), both of whom have no real super powers (at least none that Triatholon doesn't have). So that's not really a reason for disliking him. I didn't like the fact that he was forced on the Avengers, but after some time with the group, I thought he was an OK member.

Sandy Hausler

EDIT: I guess Rhodey was technically an Avenger when he was Ironman.

T'challa is smarter and more resourceful than most heroes. he's also got a Panther-factor that rivals Captain America's. and there was definately a time when i didn't like the Falcon. but he was decent in Geoff Johns' run.