PDA

View Full Version : So what is your opinion on The Batman?

CBright
12-04-2006, 12:28 AM
Obviously this show was fighting an uphill battle from the very beginning with being compared to Batman: The Animated Series, but I've heard if you look at it in a different way it's pretty good like the Ultimate Marvel Universe. So what's the opinion on The Batman show here, because I'm seriosuly thinking about checking it out.

TheTen-EyedMan
12-04-2006, 01:12 AM
I was ready to damn it out of hand but then I watched Batman vs Dracula.

It's not a patch on the Animated Series and the Joker looks like a Rastafarian who's had a fright but it's not as bad as that Teen Titans Go dreck.

Stranger With Candy
12-04-2006, 01:38 AM
i hate the new looks on the villians. they look so stupid now. The Riddler looks emo, The Joker looks like he has mutated and Mr. Freeze just look stupid. its an aweful show.

SKETCHSANCHEZ
12-04-2006, 01:52 AM
I've only watched a few episodes of this season and I like the art direction overall.

It seems, to me, to try to combine the old sixties show and the 90's animated series...and it works on some levels.

PretenderNX01
12-04-2006, 03:13 AM
I saw the first season and liked it on its own. Its more kid oriented but was cool enough with a theme done by U2's guitarist "Edge". But then they swithced to this cheesy action theme that sounds like Hawaii Five-Oh. It just kid of takes you out of it, haven't watched it since.

I did like it better than Teen Titans which I just couldn't sit thru more than once.

Adamantium_Avatar
12-04-2006, 03:15 AM
Quite simply... I hate it.

It just feels wrong on so many levels..

I reacted the same way to Teen Titans as well, I guess I dont like anything new, lol

Buddahbelly
12-04-2006, 05:24 AM
I love it... No, seriously. I do. Don't look at it as Batman in his continuity. That's the problem everyone has with it. It's a great show IF you actually look at it as if you have never heard of Batman. It's a new take on old characters. And hey, it got my 11 year old nephew asking about comics instead of just watching a video over and over. And corrupting the young is a good thing. On another note, TAS rocked. Personally I don't think it can get better than that. You can't fairly compare the two. But I put The Batman in it's own class and enjoy.

Jaye
12-04-2006, 07:56 AM
I love TAS, but The Batman won me over too. Its a total guilty pleasure. I picked the first season up cheap and really was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Its fun, and the new designs are just designs, they don't insult my years of Batman enjoyment or anything.

Yeah, I like The Batman.

OverMaster
12-04-2006, 08:35 AM
It's overall mostly bad, but some episodes are good, although still not anywhere B:TAS quality. And yeah, I think it *is* fair to compare them. If they didn't want us to compare TB to B:TAS, then they just shouldn't have made it a series about Batman, period.

For the most part, however, the series is mostly a bunch of good basical ideas wasted by awful execution.

Joe Acro
12-04-2006, 09:29 AM
I actually can't watch this show. I can't stand the art, the voices, or the characters. There's nothing appealing to me. The funny thing is that those making the show know people are struggling to watch it and have resorted to a crossover (vs. Dracula) and the introduction of Robin so soon.

90'sCartoonMan
12-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Geez, what's with all the Teen Titans hate? I thought it was a fun show.

The first couple seasons of The Batman sucked, but it got better. They got rid of Rojas, brought Gordon in, the plots and dialog improved, etc. This season's been pretty strong, actually. Bruce's face has been re-designed, and I like what they're doing with Robin.

Still, it's not BTAS, and I have no desire to own the DVDs (although if I find The Batman vs. Dracula cheap, I might get that, it was pretty good).

And yeah, I think it *is* fair to compare them. If they didn't want us to compare TB to B:TAS, then they just shouldn't have made it a series about Batman, period.

Batman's still one of the most marketable heroes DC has, it's why they continue to make cartoons about Batman and Superman while many others in their stable are neglected. Comparisons don't matter much to them as long as they're selling toys.

Kara Zor El
12-04-2006, 09:56 AM
The reason why I don't like it is the interpretation of the villains. They are poorly characterized. Joker is a martial arts expert and so is Penguin. Don't get that. I don't like some of the designs. Joker and Riddler are just ugly to me but in a bad way. I like the way Batman looks and that's about it. The one with bane in was solid. But that's it, the rest turned me cold. It is aimed at a younger audiance than the beautiful BTAS. But even so...

OverMaster
12-04-2006, 11:27 AM
The reason why I don't like it is the interpretation of the villains. They are poorly characterized. Joker is a martial arts expert and so is Penguin. Don't get that. I don't like some of the designs. Joker and Riddler are just ugly to me but in a bad way. I like the way Batman looks and that's about it. The one with bane in was solid. But that's it, the rest turned me cold. It is aimed at a younger audiance than the beautiful BTAS. But even so...

Oh, I don't mind so much how the characters look (although, darn, that Joker and that Ivy are awful to watch at), but how personality-flat they are. Even Clayface/Bennet feels more forced than sympathetic.

However, I'll make an exception for 'The Laughing Bat' and 'Dangerous Minds', which give a better sense of real madness (but, alas, not of real threat) to Joker than TAS ever did. Even so, every other TB Joker episode is nauseating to watch, and this is coming from a major Joker fan.

stealthwise
12-04-2006, 11:30 AM
Eh, it's just a show for kids of today. It's nowhere near as good as BTAS, but it works well enough for what it is.

WoodenDummy
12-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I like it myself, it's fun.

kel25
12-04-2006, 06:57 PM
My first experience with it was the Batman VS Dracula movie and I despised the show. Since then, I was forced to watch a couple of episodes so my opinion of it has improved greatly. Although I still think the 90s Batman cartoon and Batman Beyond cartoon are both far superior to The Batman.

batturtle
12-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I remember seeing the initial poster / add for this show in a magazine or online or something. I thought it looked super cool, even though I was sad to see DC moving on from the Bruce Timm style.

But upon seeing the show my opinion completely flip flopped. Don't like the characterizations or the animation or much of anything about the show. I watched one episode to see Batgirl, but even that couldn't keep me on board.

Hope Legion is better.

Murrocko
12-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I really disliked the show .... at first. Then the Batman vs Dracula Direct to DVD came out and played on Cartoonnetwork. Loved it. But I still didn't really watch the show until they introduced Robin. Season four thus has been pretty good.

Overall, an interesting show if you put the whole Batman: The Animated Series aside.

Mia
12-05-2006, 02:44 AM
I love it... No, seriously. I do. Don't look at it as Batman in his continuity. That's the problem everyone has with it. It's a great show IF you actually look at it as if you have never heard of Batman. It's a new take on old characters. And hey, it got my 11 year old nephew asking about comics instead of just watching a video over and over. And corrupting the young is a good thing. On another note, TAS rocked. Personally I don't think it can get better than that. You can't fairly compare the two. But I put The Batman in it's own class and enjoy.

I agree. I haven't caught the 4th season yet. Can someone tell me, is Robin over used? The problem I had with season 3 was the excessive use of Batgirl. It was like watching a very bad version of Nancy Drew/Veronica Mars.

Young Avenger
12-05-2006, 07:32 AM
I hate the show. The designs of the villains suck. Seriously, who's idea was it to make Joker short and give him dreadlocks? If there wasn't a Catwoman movie I would have said that TB Catwoman costume is the worst thing she ever wore. Why the hell did they make Riddler emo?

It's bad enough that the designs suck but there personalities are flat. Clayface and Mr. Freeze turn to villainy feel forced.

Damo
12-05-2006, 08:35 AM
All the "not like the original!" of Teen Titans.

None of the fun of Teen Titans.

Loate/detest/despise it.

Kristofer
12-05-2006, 08:50 PM
I can't stand it. Reminds me way too much of The Jackie Chan Adventures. I hate how they over-exagerate the villians. I mean, come on, Joker falls into a vat of acid...so it completely warps his face into making his jaw freaking HUGE and having ungodly teeth...Joker was always ego about his attire too, there is no way he wouldve been walking around in that circus getup, straight jacket, and no shoes...The Riddler is some Boy George reject...what the crap, man ??

pringlesman
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
Joker is some Banaka-reject from street fighter 2, boy is the voice bad for him also. The riddler is an emo kid. The penguin lacks all the charm and class he deserves. Poison Ivy should by no means EVER be defeated. She is a god who can mutate plants on comand, and create giant tendril roots from no where. I don't have a good reason, but I plain just don't like catwoman. Batgirl is a joke. I can't stand the odd dome of a head that bruce wayne is drawn with.

On the other hand, like always Jim Gordon is awsome.

And what the hell, Batgirl is batmans sidekick. He knows who she is, but he cannot seem to help her through equipment, nor trust her enough to even tell her who she is.

Ok, scratch that last part, in the next eppisode that I.. um.. borrowed from an online source, he finaly gave her some stuff. He could tell her who he is though.

Watched a couple more episodes, so he did say his identity. I think they are trying to spite me now. I have to say, my favorite thing on the planet might be when Batman outs other peoples identity.

Sean Whitmore
12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
It's a perfectly fine little show, currently having the best season of its 4 years on the air.

SEAN

CBright
12-07-2006, 12:34 PM
The reason I ask is because season four sounds good. Robin is introduced, and so is Harley and Black Mask. Not to mention I keep hearing about an episode based on TDKR which features Nightwing and Oracle. Not to mention a team up with Martian Manhunter. I was just curious.

I watched a few episodes on YouTube. I liked 1/3 that I watched. I saw The Laughing Bat, which I enjoyed. Interesting concept of the Joker becoming Batman. Then I watched The Big Dummy due my love for Scarface. I didn't care much for it as it was pretty bland. Then I watched Bat In The Belfrey and didn't care much for it either. Maybe I just picked the wrong episodes.

TheLazy
12-07-2006, 06:24 PM
[QUOTE=Kristofer;4076643]I can't stand it. Reminds me way too much of The Jackie Chan Adventures. QUOTE]

Yeah i got that thought too, although I like Jackie Chan Adventures, The Batman was just bad. My little sister seemed to like it though, so it serves it's purpose.

megladon8
12-13-2006, 09:12 PM
I have never really gotten around to watching this show.

Are the seasons worth seeing/buying? I am a huge fan of TAS...am I going to feel ashamed?

Young Avenger
12-13-2006, 09:14 PM
Search is your friend. (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=154972)

Kristofer
12-14-2006, 09:12 AM
As much as I love being a Batman Geek....

I wouldnt "buy" these episodes, unless, of course, my son begs me for them. But I wouldnt buy them for myself. Its nothing but a huge rewrite (and oddly drawn) edition of Batman TAS. Take Scareface and Ventriquist, for example, the basis is the exact same in both shows. Scareface uses a different device to build, but the fact that there is a new goon added to Scarface's clan is the same, even the things the say are the exact same...

Reminds me way too much of Batman Forever and Batman & Robin done to animation in the aspects of RAVE-type surroundings

Mister Intensity
12-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Season Four is a big improvement over previous seasons. There's more emphasis on the characters than on the gadgets. No more scenes of Batman using the toy of the week to sell the toys. The stories are stronger and I like the dynamic between Robin and Batgirl. Those who wrote off the show previously will be pleasantly surprised.

The Batman has gone from the one DC animated show I avoided to one I'm looking forward to every new episode.

Trust me, the show is nothing like it was in Season One.

Mister Intensity

MaxofSteel
12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
The villain designs kinda irk me, and its hard to get around that repetetive guitar riff every time Bats moves across the screen, but other than that I like the show.

Mikado
12-26-2006, 03:04 AM
I voted that I liked it...because I thought you meant the 60s TV show that i grew up with, but now I realise you mean that travesty where Bruce Wayne looks like Jackie Chan and the Joker looks like one of those "Troll" toys!!! WHAT was DC thinking??? Cancel that show , and give the franchise BACK to Bruce Timm!!!! :mad:

GOT
12-27-2006, 09:08 PM
I absolutely love The Batman animated series! I really like Jeff Matsuda's (http://www.jeffmatsuda.com/) character designs. They are more decorative than Bruce Timm's (http://www.popcultureshock.com/timm/) characters (which I also like a lot).

I just bought seasons 1 & 2 on DVD. Haven't watched them all yet so can't judge the writing and stories... but the art and designs ROCK SERIOUSLY.

Gaspard
12-27-2006, 11:34 PM
I saw an episode this morning for the first time (the one with Man-Bat and Penguin). I don't like the mood of the series all that much. It's just like that Batman vs Dracula movie. It's like the whole city is dead, except for Batman and his villains. I mean, no city sounds, no innocent bystanders, it's like a zombie flick. I really didn't like it too much.

Mia
12-28-2006, 08:18 AM
I like season 1 & 2, but the show has been really marred by the addition of the two kids.

yourverysilly
02-01-2007, 01:41 PM
was anybody else REALLY pissed off with this show when they first saw it? I was too, until I got sky and started to see the fourth season. Its great two questions:

1. Does this show have the best batarang sounds ever or what?

2. The Joker. Seriously. How BAD did they mess him up. seeing as in the other animated series he was the best incarantion EVER (roll on dark knight!)

Comments?

The_green_listener
02-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I can't say I'm a fan. Havent seen too much of it and after a couple of episodes that is through choice. Not a fan of the art but the stories are kinda fun I guess. Not really what I'm looking for in a Batman story but it's aimed more for kids than the animated series was

Citizen V
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I dont like it,compaired to Batman:TAS its nothing.Im sure its been said before,but it is indeed true.

Greg Anderson
02-02-2007, 01:59 PM
It was horrible at first, but this season stepped up big time. Is it this weekend we start to get new episodes. Also, Dini is suppose to be writing an episode with Harley coming into the fold, btu I've no idea if it was shown already or whatever...

OverMaster
02-03-2007, 04:54 AM
It was horrible at first, but this season stepped up big time. Is it this weekend we start to get new episodes. Also, Dini is suppose to be writing an episode with Harley coming into the fold, btu I've no idea if it was shown already or whatever...

I think you North Americans get to see it today.

yourverysilly
02-03-2007, 05:02 AM
It is really good, but I used to hate it. Season 1 was them finding they're feet, I watched a couple of episodes and hated it, because it was REALLY CRAP. I mean, the joker...That isn't worth mentioning, its just TOO painful especially compared with Mark Hamill's Joker, who is absolutley breathtaking! they also have an obsession with chemical fumes transforming people for no apparent reason.
But I'm watching season 4 at the mo on cartonn network, and it is REALLY good its a great interpretation, voice acting is great, you've got a kick ass penguin and black mask on screen for the first time, he looks great, admitadly I haven't seen the riddler, but the later seasons are great, I advise everyone to check out season 4.

Alan2099
02-03-2007, 07:26 AM
It's not a bad show. I don't much care for it myself, but it's not horrible.

The character designs really ned work though. Half of them are horrible and the other half just seem to be mising something.

Greg Anderson
02-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Today's episode was adapted from "The Dark Knight Returns." I'm not sure if the Harley episode happened before or after:( . But today's episode wasn't as great as I thought it would be, but it was still superior to a lot of the episodes from the previous seasons. Was great seeing Nightwing and Oracle. We also have a returning Mr. Freeze whose lower body resembles a metallic robot.;) Now, where would they get that from?

Doesitmatter
02-06-2007, 02:26 PM
I love the visuals and hate the stories.

I finally stopped comparing it to Bruce Timm and watch it for what it is. It's like Teen Titans, meaning it's designed for people way younger than me. Maybe my kids will like it.

Doesitmatter
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM
And yeah, I think it *is* fair to compare them. If they didn't want us to compare TB to B:TAS, then they just shouldn't have made it a series about Batman, period.

They've made a series about Batman just about every ten years. BTAS was the best but it's not the only one. But I agree, the problem with TB was that it started while Justic League was still on CN. Made it competitive.

JoeMD
02-06-2007, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, The Batman doesn't show on free-to-air TV here in Australia but it does show on Pay-Tv. However, I don't have pay so I didn't get to see this series until last year when I was at my uncles. My uncle is a mad about comics and, well, if you could see his comic room you'd understand. Anyway, he tapes all of the comic related shows that are on. On night he was watching some of the tapes and asked me to join him. We watched about four eps of The Batman and a few of the JSA series.

I absolutely loved The Batman eps and quickly went out and bought some of the DVDs available, which here is only Season One volumes One and Two and the Dracula movie. I watched en really enjoyed these so quickly jumped on Amazon and bought the first two season sets.

I've watched them all now and honestly I think it's a brilliant show, even my dad likes it. I'm not one who gets all riled up about different takes on characters. My favourite comic hero is The Phantom but I really like the Phantom 2040 animated series that was out in 1996 which is HUGELY different from the classic rendition of the character.

Having said that i can see how some people would be irked by the changes to the characters, especially The Joker, but I really dug it.

I think it's a brilliant show and I'll be getting season three when it's out!

nuclearman
02-06-2007, 05:58 PM
It's great... something different.

Greg Anderson
02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
You know, unlike the many complainers here, I actually love the Joker in this show. Sure, he's much much different than Joker from B:TAS, but I just love watching the Joker in this one. He's just so much more... zany and retarded, heh heh.

JoeMD
02-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I really enjoy him too.

CBright
12-23-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm getting season four for Christmas. I've heard it's the most fan friendly season.

HaHaHaHa
12-24-2007, 03:37 AM
i like the show. Its something different and the designs are okay. I cant really see how you can compare TAS and the batman, theyre like 2 different shows. TAS was great and i enjoy the batman too.

Dr. Chaos
12-25-2007, 09:09 PM
i hate the new looks on the villians. they look so stupid now. The Riddler looks emo, The Joker looks like he has mutated and Mr. Freeze just look stupid. its an aweful show.
Yeah, I do a double take every time I see The Joker's hair.

I do like this show's Catwoman though.