PDA

View Full Version : Electric light orchestra and Yes, need suggestions.

Gargus
11-18-2006, 02:21 PM
I never listened to electric light orchestra before and I really dug these two songs I heard fire on hight and telephone line. I liked fire on high better. And I heard a song by Yes I liked but I dont what it was.

Anyone have some suggestions by them?

Ilash
11-18-2006, 03:24 PM
For ELO, I would start with A New World Record (Telephone Line is from there) followed by Eldorado. I'm not the greatest fan of Yes - and Jethro Tull aside, I'm not all that mad about prog in general - but Fragile is a very strong album and is usually seen as the place to start, as for as I know.

Adam Crocker
11-18-2006, 03:33 PM
The Yes Album is also a good place to start. It's where the band first coalesced into their classic sound.

Jonathan Bogart
11-18-2006, 03:43 PM
Unless "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was the song you liked. Then you might not enjoy classic Yes at all.

Gargus
11-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Unless "Owner of a Lonely Heart" was the song you liked. Then you might not enjoy classic Yes at all.

I know that song, but I didnt know they did it.

DDM
11-18-2006, 04:14 PM
My favorite ELO albums are Discovery for "Don't Bring Me Down" & Xanadu from "I'm Alive", "The Fall," "Don't Walk Away," "All Over The World," & "Xanadu".

DDM
11-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Delete

(character limit)

berk
11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
The Yes Album is also a good place to start. It's where the band first coalesced into their classic sound.I agree. The tracks are also a lot shorter than on some of their albums, and probably a little more accessible for someone just getting into their music. And it contains Starship Troopers, one of my very favourites.

ELO, I like Eldorado, Face the Music, and A New World Record, which came out in that order. I haven't heard anything earlier than Eldorado, but I wouldn't be suprised if it was damn good, becasue I love those three. They started to lose me a little with that double album that came out after NWR, although it did have some very nice stuff on it.

JeffreyWKramer
11-21-2006, 07:41 PM
I would suggest you completely ignore Yes. Yes is the worst kind of empty art-rock wankery.

ELO had some tuneful, fun pop stuff.

Adam Crocker
11-21-2006, 07:54 PM
I would suggest you completely ignore Yes. Yes is the worst kind of empty art-rock wankery.

Vile lies! Everyone knows that Emerson, Lake, and Palmer have that title completely sewn-up.

JeffreyWKramer
11-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Vile lies! Everyone knows that Emerson, Lake, and Palmer have that title completely sewn-up.
That's true. Yes would be the runners-up, though.

Jessica Drew
11-21-2006, 08:24 PM
That's true. Yes would be the runners-up, though.

...though both have been known to induce vomiting through severe pretentiousness.

berk
11-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I would suggest you completely ignore Yes. Yes is the worst kind of empty art-rock wankery.Well, that is a Yes suggestion.

But don't listen to him, Gargus!

scratchie
11-23-2006, 10:42 AM
The Yes Album is a great suggestion. It's got the classic Yes sound, but it's very rocking and not too "precious" like some of their later work.

Fragile and Close to the Edge are their two other "classic" albums, and are both pretty great. My favorite Yes album is the underrated Relayer. Everything else is strictly for hard-core fans only.

Motormouse
11-24-2006, 01:19 PM
All over the World

Diary Of horace Wimp

Evil Woman

Mr blue Sky

Last Train to London

Bear
11-28-2006, 05:24 PM
"I've seen all good people...your move" ?

Kirayoshi
11-30-2006, 08:11 AM
I'll admit to enjoying ELO's "Roll Over Bethoven" and "Do You".

Jeff Lynne's been more into production over the last twenty years or so, and his production sound can come across as a bit slick. However, I do have both Traveling Wilburys albums, where he collaborated with Bob Dylan, George Harrison, Tom Petty and (in the first album) Roy Orbison. Even with his production the sound was more stripped down, and they all just sounded like they were having the time of their lives. Fun albums, worth scoping out.

I once saw a friend's copy of Yes; 9012Live, and wasn't disappointed. They seemed looser, less bombastic and more rocking, especially in "It Can Happen", "Roundabout" and "I've Seen All Good People".

Rob on the Job
11-30-2006, 08:31 AM
"Eldorado" by ELO was a great album ... supposedly a thematic one, a la Sgt. Pepper's, but I'll be damned if I can figure out the common thread after 30-plus years.

It was no secret that Jeff Lynne was/is a hardcore Beatles fan, and people thought he was trying to emulate the Beatles with ELO. There are only a few instances where the two groups sound alike, IMO.

Jonathan Bogart
11-30-2006, 10:56 AM
It was no secret that Jeff Lynne was/is a hardcore Beatles fan, and people thought he was trying to emulate the Beatles with ELO. There are only a few instances where the two groups sound alike, IMO.
John Lennon was fond of saying that if the Beatles hadn't broken up, they would have turned into ELO. It wasn't a compliment.

Rob on the Job
11-30-2006, 11:02 AM
John Lennon was fond of saying that if the Beatles hadn't broken up, they would have turned into ELO. It wasn't a compliment.

I call that bold talk, coming from a man who kowtowed to a screechy-voiced lizard named Yoko.

Vegetarian Goat
11-30-2006, 11:35 AM
ELO and Yes are two of my favorite bands-

ELO's Time and Yes' Tales From Topographic Oceans are two of my all-time favorites.

Jonathan Bogart
11-30-2006, 01:03 PM
I call that bold talk, coming from a man who kowtowed to a screechy-voiced lizard named Yoko.
Someday I'm going talk about my theory that fan animosity towards Yoko contains a good deal of thinly-veiled sexism and racism. But not today.

Rob on the Job
11-30-2006, 01:24 PM
Someday I'm going talk about my theory that fan animosity towards Yoko contains a good deal of thinly-veiled sexism and racism. But not today.

Mine is hardly thinly-veiled.

Mine is hanging out there and wagging for all the world to see.

scratchie
11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Someday I'm going talk about my theory that fan animosity towards Yoko contains a good deal of thinly-veiled sexism and racism. But not today.Gosh, you think so? And did you know that she, herself, is also 100% responsible for the breakup of the Beatles? They'd still be touring to this day if it wasn't for her!

Ilash
11-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Yeah but since this is John Lennon we're talking about, he would probably have done a 180 degree turn on his position if he was asked a week later. Lennon is an interesting guy but I generally take his opinions with a pinch of salt.

Cozmicdawg
11-30-2006, 09:26 PM
I think what John meant by that is that ELO is full of the overblown syrupy theatrics that Paul was fond of in the final four Beatles albums. Personally, I think on songs like Mr. Radio, Bluebird is Dead, Look at Me Now, Shangri-La, The Way Life's Meant to Be, etc. you can hear his Beatles influence loud and clear.

howyadoin
11-30-2006, 11:50 PM
Someday I'm going talk about my theory that fan animosity towards Yoko contains a good deal of thinly-veiled sexism and racism. But not today.You don't think her godawful singing voice has anything to do with it?

Or am I automatically a racist if I say a Japanese person can't sing?

Jonathan Bogart
12-01-2006, 06:07 AM
You don't think her godawful singing voice has anything to do with it?

Or am I automatically a racist if I say a Japanese person can't sing?
I didn't say there weren't other, possibly more justified, reasons for fan animosity, just that those negative -isms contribute to its virulence.

Rob on the Job
12-01-2006, 06:26 AM
I didn't say there weren't other, possibly more justified, reasons for fan animosity, just that those negative -isms contribute to its virulence.

Non-Racist Reasons to Hate Yoko

1. She sang like a cat being squashed by a semi.

2. She used her connections to have McCartney busted for pot possession in Japan.

3. She did her damndest to prevent a rapprochement between Lennon and McCartney in the late 1970s.

4. Liverpool Biennial 2004. 'Nuff said.

5. Showing us her hairy body on Two Virgins.

Ilash
12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
2. She used her connections to have McCartney busted for pot possession in Japan.

What, really? Where did you hear this?

Buried Alien
12-02-2006, 11:24 PM
What, really? Where did you hear this?

It's been a rumor for years, but never proven. Who knows?

Anyone who's been here for any length of time knows what a huge Beatles fan I am, but I've never been big on ELO...maybe because the Beatles' psychedelic era was my overall least favorite era of theirs. The one ELO song I do like isn't particularly Beatley except maybe in its title: "Don't Bring Me Down."

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

JeffreyWKramer
12-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Non-Racist Reasons to Hate Yoko

1. She sang like a cat being squashed by a semi.

One really doesn't have to go any further than this. And it's quite true.

Karl J. Barnes
12-03-2006, 07:48 AM
I think that any ELO album would be good place to start. Some are far better than others, but I enjoy the quirkiness of ELO. At one time, I liked Yes, but I was in middle school at the time, so I kind of have an excuse.

DDM
12-03-2006, 12:35 PM
ELO:

"Don't Bring Me Down" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=4LS8nMp81As)

"All Over The World" (Xanadu) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=JSS3S3T25qw)

"Shine A Little Love" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=TLXPu9SMq1U)

"The Fall" (Xanadu) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uCrvSrzuKZA)

"Don't Walk Away" (Xanadu) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=QbzCI5kFljk)

I'm Alive" (Xanadu) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0FsWQaFquPU&mode=related&search=)

"Xanadu" (short version) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CM6y_fM9QSE&mode=related&search=)

"Xanadu" (long version) (http://youtube.com/watch?v=i6uChtN8YcU&mode=related&search=)

Ottmeister X
12-06-2006, 03:34 PM
There's also no harm in just going out and getting the Greatest Hits CD from ELO. There's probably a few of them, but I know the one I have is fairly solid with no need for me to collect the individual releases.

90125 is about all of the Yes I ever need.

zebop
12-07-2006, 06:45 PM
The Yes Album is a great suggestion. It's got the classic Yes sound, but it's very rocking and not too "precious" like some of their later work.

Fragile and Close to the Edge are their two other "classic" albums, and are both pretty great. My favorite Yes album is the underrated Relayer. Everything else is strictly for hard-core fans only.

Dang. You nailed the three essential Yes albums. Those would be the three I'd recommend.

90125 is a good album, but it's a Yes album in name only. It sounds like it could have been made by the Sammy Hagar version of Van Halen. The absolute worst is Tales From Topographic Oceans. It was a two record set when it came out in vinyl and is so dull doctors should prescribe it for insomnia. Then they started making big boring live albums and breaking up and coming back together to make crappy albums. Yes peaked with FRAGILE and it's been all downhill since.

Electric Light Orchestra? I'd suggest finding a good "Best of" to start with and work back from there. Here's a link to one of the better compilations.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:8i0xlfdehcqq