PDA

View Full Version : Legion of Atheist Super-Heroes

ultramandingo
11-17-2006, 05:19 PM
http://www.ComicBookReligion.com

dang , the Legion of Methodist Super-Heroes gets Superboy , Supergirl and Superman

the Legion of Presbyterian Super-Heroes got Speedball .......lame

and the Legion of Atheist Super-Heroes ....... uh , The Atheist

http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html

Ed Cunard
11-17-2006, 05:20 PM
And Mr. Terrific, as I understand it.

Joe Rice
11-17-2006, 05:22 PM
http://www.ComicBookReligion.com

dang , the Legion of Methodist Super-Heroes gets Superboy , Supergirl and Superman

READ 'EM AND WEEP! Oh, yeah.

Aaron Kashtan
11-17-2006, 05:22 PM
Couldn't this be merged into the existing thread about superhero religions?

ultramandingo
11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Couldn't this be merged into the existing thread about superhero religions?

wow ! there is such a thread ? and i thought i was the only one with nothing better to do.....

JuggernautRM
11-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Shaweet....i got elektra and Black Widow on my religion's side.

Jack Zodiac
11-17-2006, 07:43 PM
And Mr. Terrific, as I understand it.

I think Johns made him believe in at least an afterlife and possibly the human soul, but maybe not God himself. Either way, if Atheists get Mr. Terrific, Atheists win!

Michael P
11-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Aw, c'mon. You can't list Mastodon as Atheist *and* Lutheran!

Geez, all we got is Jimmy Olsen...

ultramandingo
11-17-2006, 08:01 PM
if Atheists get Mr. Terrific, Atheists win!

......canceled out by Booster Gold

Jack Zodiac
11-17-2006, 09:43 PM
Ah, but Booster did have a religion. Reaganism.

"Cash rules everything around us."

ultramandingo
11-17-2006, 10:22 PM
Ah, but Booster did have a religion. Reaganism.

"Cash rules everything around us."

yea , in certain states regan is bigger than jezzus

Chris Thomas
11-17-2006, 10:35 PM
shouldn't wiccan be on the wiccan list? or just a name I guess.

Reptisaurus!
11-17-2006, 10:38 PM
... Death is a mormon? Who knew?

Mike Smash!
11-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Superhero Atheists:

Mr. Terrific, the Savage Dragon, Booster Gold, the Golden Age Starman

Paradox
11-17-2006, 11:30 PM
I think you can add Tony Stark, Mike, given his stance on all things supernatural. Still not SURE, though.

Mike Smash!
11-17-2006, 11:31 PM
I think you can add Tony Stark, Mike, given his stance on all things supernatural. Still not SURE, though.

Makes sense. I could see Tony as an Atheist.

Paradox
11-17-2006, 11:47 PM
Looked on the list and they listed him as secular and/or agnostic/technologist. Heh, I'm sorry, could you be a little more vague? :)

Mike Smash!
11-18-2006, 12:13 AM
Looked on the list and they listed him as secular and/or agnostic/technologist. Heh, I'm sorry, could you be a little more vague? :)

And what the hell is a technologist? Alot of the stuff on this list makes little sense or just plain made up.

ultramandingo
11-18-2006, 12:33 AM
And what the hell is a technologist? Alot of the stuff on this list makes little sense or just plain made up.

made up??????......

J. Jonah Jameson Peter Parker's boss; Spider-Man's denouncer Marvel - Religious Affiliation - hates Spider-Man

or

Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers Avengers; Starjammers Marvel -Religious Affiliation- mildly feminist; Alcoholics Anonymous

howyadoin
11-18-2006, 12:35 AM
And what the hell is a technologist?It's either a guy who owns a battery-powered vagina, or Morts.

Tages
11-18-2006, 02:27 AM
It's funny how many atheist comic book characters there are in universes where supernatural beings demonstrably exist. In fact, hasn't Savage Dragon spoken with God personally?

Drew Van T.
11-18-2006, 04:22 AM
It's funny how many atheist comic book characters there are in universes where supernatural beings demonstrably exist. In fact, hasn't Savage Dragon spoken with God personally?

It's funny how many characters who have met those beings and come away hating, fearing, or disliking them. Jesse Custer thinks God is an a-hole, and all that.

Inside the craziness of supernatural-beings-made-flesh, the sanest response of any atheist should be to want to destroy the god(s). "Yeah, I believe you exist...but that's going to be a temporary condition, if I can help it."

Fish Sauce
11-18-2006, 04:30 AM
They really need to put Astro City's Confessor in there somewhere. If that's not religious, I don't know what is.

I mean he called his sidekick Altar Boy.

cactusmaac
11-18-2006, 05:29 AM
Superhero Atheists:

Mr. Terrific, the Savage Dragon, Booster Gold, the Golden Age Starman

and Wesley Dodds, the Sandman.

anthony!
11-18-2006, 07:10 AM
We've got Hulk, Hellboy, Banshee, Daredevil and Nightcrawler!

Sign me up for the Legion of Catholic Superheroes anyday!

Clint Barton
11-18-2006, 07:42 AM
We've got Hulk, Hellboy, Banshee, Daredevil and Nightcrawler!

Sign me up for the Legion of Catholic Superheroes anyday!

Bah! I'm on a team with God. I'm his sidekick. Bring it!

Stellar
11-18-2006, 07:56 AM
Jimmy Olsen is a superhero?

Allah/Buddha/Jesus have mercy on the Lutherans.

And if Superman is methodist, why did he go to a catholic priest in the For Tomorrow arc?

Mike Smash!
11-18-2006, 09:18 AM

Dragon did, but blew the whole thing off as a hallucination. Which all things aside, is what alot of people might do in his position.

And it's amazingly easy to be an Atheist in a universe where it's not hard to see any "god" as another cosmic being, alien or beastie like Galactus.

Especially when you have friends that can kick such beings' asses or when all of these different religious icons co-exist and can join superhero teams or be beaten up by mere mortals.

It's not hard to write off the Spectre or Zauriel as being like Odin or Gaea... VERY powerful, but basically cosmic entities that claim godhood in some way. And especially when there are quasi-God type characters like Eternity or the Living Tribunal.

It'd be nigh impossible to deny that things like magic or even the soul exist, but Atheism isn't impossible in a superhero universe.

Paradox
11-18-2006, 10:16 AM
Stellar brings up the past:

Jimmy Olsen is a superhero?

Elastic Lad (honorary Legionnaire)
http://www.hembeck.com/Images/Covers/Original/jimmyolsen111.jpg

Flamebird (Kandor-Robin to Superman's Nightwing/Batman)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/67/S158s2.png/175px-S158s2.png

And if Superman is methodist, why did he go to a catholic priest in the For Tomorrow arc?

I think the rationale I read once was "well, most people in Kansas are Methodist". Eh.

Grazzt
11-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Inside the craziness of supernatural-beings-made-flesh, the sanest response of any atheist should be to want to destroy the god(s). "Yeah, I believe you exist...but that's going to be a temporary condition, if I can help it."

No, that is not the sanest response. In fact, that is a very insane response. I would like to think that most atheists are rational enough that, given incontravertible proof of God's existence, they would be willing to accept that.

Jack Zodiac
11-18-2006, 12:26 PM

On that note, shouldn't Atheists also get Dr. 13?

ultramandingo
11-18-2006, 12:31 PM
On that note, shouldn't Atheists also get Dr. 13?

moores supreme ( and tom strong ?) met god , he was a giant floating cigar chomping kirby head - kirbyists?

Jack Zodiac
11-18-2006, 12:37 PM
I'd worship Jack Kirby. Maybe even Grant Morrison, if he started throwing bleeding coyotes and giant erasers at me.

Drew Van T.
11-18-2006, 01:19 PM
No, that is not the sanest response. In fact, that is a very insane response. I would like to think that most atheists are rational enough that, given incontravertible proof of God's existence, they would be willing to accept that.

There is a difference between acknowledging something and acquiescing to it. That is what all those stories pitting humans against their god(s) are about.

The ancient Greeks believed their gods were quite real, but they also thought they were cruel, vain, and injust. So you get all these stories where Hercules and other mortals open a can of whoop-ass on them...clearly, those were wishful thinking on the part of many believers.

Grazzt
11-18-2006, 01:31 PM
There is a difference between acknowledging something and acquiescing to it. That is what all those stories pitting humans against their god(s) are about.

The ancient Greeks believed their gods were quite real, but they also thought they were cruel, vain, and injust. So you get all these stories where Hercules and other mortals open a can of whoop-ass on them...clearly, those were wishful thinking on the part of many believers.

Hercules was already half-divine, and he barely ever fought the gods (successfully). And I can't think of a single mortal who ever messed with a deity in Greek mythology without paying for it severely. Most of those mortals were just object lessons in pride.

If God came down tomorrow, I doubt we'd see a bunch of atheists trying to overthrow him.

Gumbo Maximillian
11-18-2006, 09:42 PM
Hercules was already half-divine, and he barely ever fought the gods (successfully). And I can't think of a single mortal who ever messed with a deity in Greek mythology without paying for it severely. Most of those mortals were just object lessons in pride.

If God came down tomorrow, I doubt we'd see a bunch of atheists trying to overthrow him.

Hell know; I would be down on my knees giving him head with the rest of civilization.

Evil or not; you don't screw with the big man.

Yeah I'm guessing alot of athiests would turn into malthiests if prove happened to make them believe in God.

Though the real interesting thing is; what do you do and who do you believe in when all the gods seem to exist and have the power to back their claims up?

Of course that might be enough reason to call BS right there, because clearly all the creation stories can't be right. Either that or the universe is a whole lot more complicated than has been said, some kind of hyper time, vertigo thing going on.

JeffreyWKramer
11-19-2006, 06:27 AM
It's funny how many atheist comic book characters there are in universes where supernatural beings demonstrably exist.

Yeah, that's sort of the dorky thing about it. In the DCU, you've got Mr. Terrific hanging with the Spectre - the embodied Wrath of God - and Zauriel, who is literally an angel. Green Arrow, Swamp Thing and others have literally been to Heaven.

Athiesm makes much less sense in a world in which gods, and God, are both demonstrably real. I suppose Mr. T argues that all these entities are just extradimensional beings of great power, but not truly divine beings.

Tobias March
11-19-2006, 06:45 AM

Now THAT's a great story idea. God shows up one day, a kindly old bearded gentleman - looks vaguely like Richard Attenborough or that music teacher from Fame - and some disgruntled fellow decides to dig out his service riffle and take a shot.

Hell, maybe I'll dash off a script and send it off to a Christian movie producer. They'd love it if we pitched it as one of those Greek hubristic myth stories :D

Tages
11-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Dragon did, but blew the whole thing off as a hallucination. Which all things aside, is what alot of people might do in his position.

And it's amazingly easy to be an Atheist in a universe where it's not hard to see any "god" as another cosmic being, alien or beastie like Galactus.

Especially when you have friends that can kick such beings' asses or when all of these different religious icons co-exist and can join superhero teams or be beaten up by mere mortals.

It's not hard to write off the Spectre or Zauriel as being like Odin or Gaea... VERY powerful, but basically cosmic entities that claim godhood in some way. And especially when there are quasi-God type characters like Eternity or the Living Tribunal.

It'd be nigh impossible to deny that things like magic or even the soul exist, but Atheism isn't impossible in a superhero universe.
Well, the DCU has The Presence and Marvel has the (never-seen) One Above All, both clearly transfigurations of the Abrahamic God in our universe. In Marvel you have Thanos who has become God twice, with the Infinite Gauntlet and the Heart of the Universe (though to be fair that second one isn't canon).

Just as sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, I'm not sure what the difference would be between cosmic entities that claim godhood and actual gods. At some point the two overlap.

Mike Smash!
11-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Yeah, that's sort of the dorky thing about it. In the DCU, you've got Mr. Terrific hanging with the Spectre - the embodied Wrath of God - and Zauriel, who is literally an angel. Green Arrow, Swamp Thing and others have literally been to Heaven.

Athiesm makes much less sense in a world in which gods, and God, are both demonstrably real. I suppose Mr. T argues that all these entities are just extradimensional beings of great power, but not truly divine beings.

That's what I'd think. I mean, most of them are interdimensional beings claiming godhood. It lowers the bar for the term god quite a bit and I could see Terrific lumping the Spectre and the angels in with the Greek gods that empowered Wonder Woman, Donna Troy and Captain Marvel and the Egyptian gods that empower Black Adam.

And considering that Superman has beaten the crap out of angels, it's a bit harder to put them above mortals.

Like I said, it's hard to deny the existance of the soul or of magic in the DCU, but when you have so many things claiming godhood, it's easy to just assume that they're all wrong.

Mike Smash!
11-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Well, the DCU has The Presence and Marvel has the (never-seen) One Above All, both clearly transfigurations of the Abrahamic God in our universe. In Marvel you have Thanos who has become God twice, with the Infinite Gauntlet and the Heart of the Universe (though to be fair that second one isn't canon).

Just as sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, I'm not sure what the difference would be between cosmic entities that claim godhood and actual gods. At some point the two overlap.

And Marvel has beings like the Living Tribunal and Eternity, which muddy it up a bit as well. And the only proof of the Presense is from the mouths of cosmic beings that can likewise be Theists themselves.

Chris N
11-19-2006, 10:52 AM
And Marvel has beings like the Living Tribunal and Eternity, which muddy it up a bit as well.

There have always been cryptic hints that there is something above them, which I've always seen as references to the existence of God in the MU.

"Logic dictates that the Living Tribunal is himself a servant, but of what, none dare imagine."

I may be slightly misquoting that. I think it's from Warlock & the Infinity Watch. Definitely Starlin.

BoosterBronze
11-19-2006, 11:46 AM
When the hell did Booster Gold become an atheist?

Mike Smash!
11-19-2006, 12:47 PM
When the hell did Booster Gold become an atheist?

I think Beetle made a remark about it during the JLI years.

tangentman
11-19-2006, 01:29 PM

Still, Atheism receives a major ego boost in a world where a Class 100, several hundred pound thunder god gets his ass kicked TWICE by a petite, Vietnamese ex-prostitute! :cool:

Man, I bet the Asaterus felt so lame when that incident went public!

Tages
11-19-2006, 04:35 PM
And Marvel has beings like the Living Tribunal and Eternity, which muddy it up a bit as well. And the only proof of the Presense is from the mouths of cosmic beings that can likewise be Theists themselves.
The Living Tribunal has stated on several occasions that he is a power greater than Eternity (Thanos with the IG was able to overcome Eternity, but when Warlock faced the LT with the Gauntlet the Tribunal informed him that a battle between them would likely destroy the universe and that they were nearly evenly matched, a great "Do you want to be that kind of God?" scene), and that he serves another being unseen.

Lucifer Morningstar was there at the beginning of time and an entire universe springing into being didn't so much as mess up his hair. According to him, the Presence exists, and I see no reason for him to lie.

Wesley Dodds
11-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Lucifer Morningstar was there at the beginning of time and an entire universe springing into being didn't so much as mess up his hair. According to him, the Presence exists, and I see no reason for him to lie.

But he's the father of all lies!

Wesley Dodds
11-19-2006, 04:56 PM

People would be a lot more credible about reports of the supernatural in fiction.

So, there was a Circe -- only, it was Sersi. The story of Gilgamesh? Really happened, just ask him. And Jesus? A meta-human. Mutant activists claim he was one of them.

And because people would be more credulous about the supernatural the concept of "miracle" wouldn't be the same. Did he rise from the dead or was it just a Lazarus pit?

Some people might take the position that belief creates Gods -- and that's why there's an Odin. But I think most people would conclude that beings like Thor are just powerful and persnickety and demanded worship from humans. So, not Gods.

Fenris
11-19-2006, 06:24 PM
And because people would be more credulous about the supernatural the concept of "miracle" wouldn't be the same. Did he rise from the dead or was it just a Lazarus pit?

Heh. A con artist with some imagination would do very well in comic book universes; because it'd be so hard to for his victims to dismiss anything out-of-hand.

"I'm really Superman, but one of my enemies stole my powers and disguised my face with this anonymous illusion. I just need a hundred bucks for bus fare to get back to Metropolis and save the world!"

"Well, I don't know. That does sound like a supervillain I read about in the paper last month..."

õ
Or something like that!

Jack Zodiac
11-19-2006, 06:47 PM

To be more precise, Lucifer Morningstar wasn't just there for the beginning of it all, he pretty much helped finish the beginning of it all. He and Michael.