PDA

View Full Version : I'm THIS CLOSE to dropping Robin

KenK
11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Can we get Chuck Dixon back on the book, or something? 'Cause I swear, I feel like I've just been getting the book outta habit for the last four or five years. There are gems here and there, but dammit of the series as a whole has been rather bleh. This latest issue wasn't any better with the damn "message" and all.

Lance
11-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Can we get Chuck Dixon back on the book, or something? 'Cause I swear, I feel like I've just been getting the book outta habit for the last four or five years. There are gems here and there, but dammit of the series as a whole has been rather bleh. This latest issue wasn't any better with the damn "message" and all.

Just drop it, man.

They'll never change anything if you just keep buying the book. No reason to.

Your money's going to them. For a product that you're not satisfied with.

Buy something else.

Young Avenger
11-16-2006, 07:26 PM
I filpped through the lastest issue of Robin. From the suicide hotline number at the last page I guess that dude on the roof was going to kill himself before Robin talked him out of it. Buying a "very special episode" issue of a comic would seriously suck

Drink
11-17-2006, 04:14 AM
I filpped through the lastest issue of Robin. From the suicide hotline number at the last page I guess that dude on the roof was going to kill himself before Robin talked him out of it. Buying a "very special episode" issue of a comic would seriously suck
That was essentially it. I don't think there's a way you can peg the suicide hotline number and not make it look like an after-school special.

It seems like a waste of an issue really. I suppose it partially deals with a lot of Tim's agnst, but it's not helping me want to read the book again.

Joe Rice
11-17-2006, 04:17 AM

Four or five YEARS?!? Jesus Christ. You're not about to drop it, then. If you can read through five years of stories you don't like, I don't know what's going to make you see the light.

aukevin
11-17-2006, 06:18 AM
This past issue was a boring after school special, but I've really like Robin as of late. Especially since OYL. There's no way I'd drop this book.

phantom1592
11-17-2006, 11:48 AM
Four or five YEARS?!? Jesus Christ. You're not about to drop it, then. If you can read through five years of stories you don't like, I don't know what's going to make you see the light.

I agree. He's bluffing. He'll keep supporting his character each month praying for a new writer or at least better stories.:rolleyes:

I did the same thing with Daredevil in the Bendis Years. As bad as it was I just couldn't imagine the pull box without Daredevil. :o

MrBeebs37
11-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Funny thing is, I've never bought an issue of this Robin series but plan on doing so for the Klarion issues. We'll see if it takes and who knows, maybe I'll like them so much that I can take your place if you leave.

kel25
11-17-2006, 03:40 PM
I agree. He's bluffing. He'll keep supporting his character each month praying for a new writer or at least better stories.:rolleyes:

I did the same thing with Daredevil in the Bendis Years. As bad as it was I just couldn't imagine the pull box without Daredevil. :o

I did the samething with Nightwing for years. Glad that's over! :D

Black Atom
11-17-2006, 04:00 PM
The OYL stuff has been utter shinola. The first arc was one of the stupidest stories I've read in a comic in sometime. Probably up there with that X-Men/FF crossover from a couple years ago.

Constantine Drakon
11-17-2006, 04:20 PM
Four or five YEARS?!? Jesus Christ. You're not about to drop it, then.

I did.

I followed the book for years, even through years of stories I didn't like.

I took one look at the latest "very special issue" or Robin and I knew it was time to stop. I'm satisfied at this point that they're not going to stop making the title, which was the reason I kept collecting. Right now the best thing I can do for Tim is stop reading his book.

Lex
11-17-2006, 04:21 PM
I've been really enjoying OYL Robin. I especially liked this last issue. Sure, you can call it an "after school special," but I thought the writing was very emotional and made the story feel real. Adam Beechen is doing a great job on the book and it's a shame that people have written it off.

the film freak
11-17-2006, 04:44 PM

Dude just drop it. It'll be okay.

Joe-Dono
11-17-2006, 04:58 PM
The ammount of adverts in this issue alone was silly, out of the 44 pages 20 of them was some kind of advert or "Bonus" Cartoon Teen Titans comic (that was 8 pages in its self) and the damn Hero Scape stuff that keeps poping up in comics with the 3D glasses just grips my s**t too.

carabas
11-17-2006, 05:06 PM
Funny thing is, I've never bought an issue of this Robin series but plan on doing so for the Klarion issues. We'll see if it takes and who knows, maybe I'll like them so much that I can take your place if you leave.

If you're getting it because you liked Klarion in '7 Soldiers' you might want to give this a pass.
See page two of the Beechen thread on this board.

MrBeebs37
11-17-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm thinking of getting it because I heard the Frazer Irving is drawing it as well as because I really liked the character. Not usually an artist follower myself, but I'd like to see more of his Klarion.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Beecher thread...what are people saying about the upcomming issue that would make it unappealing?

Drink
11-17-2006, 05:23 PM
I'm thinking of getting it because I heard the Frazer Irving is drawing it as well as because I really liked the character. Not usually an artist follower myself, but I'd like to see more of his Klarion.

I'm not sure what you mean by the Beecher thread...what are people saying about the upcomming issue that would make it unappealing?
Essentially, they're ignoring any changes Morrison made with Klarion in Seven Soldiers and he's going to be, in Morrison's own words "returned to his role (a role no-one could ever sell in the first place) as a teen warlock who turns up to fight DCs younger characters - a sort of Goth Mr. Myxyzptlk." So if 7S is what got you into Klarion, then you might not like this.

This is the thread

http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?p=3985865#post3985865

Whatever floats your boat an' all.

carabas
11-18-2006, 01:28 AM
That was it, yes.

AaronJ
11-18-2006, 02:02 AM
This past issue was a boring after school special, but I've really like Robin as of late. Especially since OYL. There's no way I'd drop this book.

I started reading it OYL, and I've very much enjoyed it. I think Robin has a great voice in this book.

As to the PSA last issue, it didn't really bother me. As long as it is a rare thing, I don't see any reason to criticize them for trying to do something good. And it was done in at least a readable, charming sort of way.

I didn't have any problems with it.

Babylon23
11-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Having lost friends to suicide in the past, I'm happy to see Beecham trying to tackle this difficult issue, and publishing the suicide hotline number at the end. Call it what you like, but if it helps at least one person contemplating suicide, then its a good thing.

In general, I've enjoyed the title OYL. I haven't read the book since the Grummett/Jiminez days (I'm generally not a fan of Dixon's writing), but Beecham has me interested in the character again.

Magneto_X
11-18-2006, 07:20 PM

I can sympathise with him.

Took me years to stop buying Superman comics in the 90's. Boy, were they crappy!

I liked the "Electric" Superman arc, though.

Drax The Destroyer
11-24-2006, 02:22 AM
Drop it. In a month or two you'll forget all about it and be glad that you did.