PDA

View Full Version : How did Nick Fury lose his eye?

Mike Smash!
11-15-2006, 04:47 PM
I look back at his "Sgt. Fury" days in World War II stories and he had both eyes and when he jumped into the "modern day" he wears an eyepatch.

Have they ever told the story of how he lost his eye?

StoneGold
11-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Yes. He took some grenade fragments to the eye. He could have had them removed and had a functioning eye, but he went back into the field with the rest of the Howlers.

Jake V
11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
I look back at his "Sgt. Fury" days in World War II stories and he had both eyes and when he jumped into the "modern day" he wears an eyepatch.

I forget what issue it happened in, but Fury was fighting those Nazi bastards and one of them threw a grenade at him. Fury, being te real man he is, caught the grenade in mid air and threw it back at them. Unfortunately, the grenade blew up in mid-air and he took some shrapnel in the eye.

He could have had an operation that restored the messed up eye, but it would have kept him out of action for too long, so he put on an eyepatch and joined the fight again.

Haunt
11-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Red Ryder B-B gun.

Lord_Archive
11-15-2006, 05:44 PM
He didn't lose it. He keeps it safely beneath his pillow and kisses every night before going to bed.

Jack
11-16-2006, 12:45 AM
It doesn't matter, Nick Fury is just a myth they created to attract new agents :p

Alpha to Omega
11-16-2006, 02:09 AM

Actually in his first appearance in the "Modern Day" in Fantastic Four he still had both eyes while working for the CIA. He wasn't shown missing an eye until he joined SHIELD in Strange Tales.

Rich L
11-16-2006, 05:32 AM
Actually in his first appearance in the "Modern Day" in Fantastic Four he still had both eyes while working for the CIA. He wasn't shown missing an eye until he joined SHIELD in Strange Tales.

I'd completely forgotten that. I blame Superboy Prime.

jrrl
11-16-2006, 05:34 AM
It isn't lost, just misplaced. He just hasn't finished looking EVERYWHERE yet and you know it will be in the last place he looks...

-John.

Alan2099
11-16-2006, 05:58 AM
I think they explained that away by saying that the lack of opperation didn't immediatley cost him the use of his eye but that his vision got worse and worse until he eventually couoldn't see out of it at all.

It isn't lost, just misplaced. He just hasn't finished looking EVERYWHERE yet and you know it will be in the last place he looks...
Of course it will be in the last place he looks, once he finds it, he's going to stop looking. Did you honstly think he was going to look in more places after he found it? :p

Haunt
11-16-2006, 08:49 AM
It doesn't matter, Nick Fury is just a myth they created to attract new agents :p

lol. i think that was just disproven in the preview for Irredeemable Ant-Man #3. :p

Jack
11-16-2006, 09:19 AM
lol. i think that was just disproven in the preview for Irredeemable Ant-Man #3. :p
I know, but it was my favourite part of #1.

Kirk G
11-16-2006, 12:01 PM
Yes, the story of Fury's eye patch was written into an issue of the Howling Commando's, however, it was a retcon based upon the appearance of the eye patch in the first issue of Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD (which also featured Tony Stark, almost as prominently) in Strange Tales #135.

There was no initial explanation of the patch. In fact, no one really questioned why they would draft an old war horse like Fury for a sensitive leadership position like Director, when he had lost an eye. (Have you ever tried target practice or shooting at moving targets with only ONE eye covered? Your depth perception goes all to hell, and cross shooting or hiting moving targets or judging how long they will be exposed to fire is almost impossible. Fury would probably have gotten a pension and a thanks, well done, soldier, and been sent back to college on the GI Bill!!!!) Not that people can't change.

It's also possible that Fury was originally tapped for his war time knowledge at tactical skills as a resource and was never intended to see as much field work as immediately developed when the agents of Hydra attacked and sought to prevent him from taking the lead slot...

(Not to mention Dr. Strange taking a back slot in the book to his new series!)

Haunt
11-16-2006, 03:48 PM
There was no initial explanation of the patch. In fact, no one really questioned why they would draft an old war horse like Fury for a sensitive leadership position like Director, when he had lost an eye. (Have you ever tried target practice or shooting at moving targets with only ONE eye covered? Your depth perception goes all to hell, and cross shooting or hiting moving targets or judging how long they will be exposed to fire is almost impossible. Fury would probably have gotten a pension and a thanks, well done, soldier, and been sent back to college on the GI Bill!!!!) Not that people can't change.

It's also possible that Fury was originally tapped for his war time knowledge at tactical skills as a resource and was never intended to see as much field work as immediately developed when the agents of Hydra attacked and sought to prevent him from taking the lead slot...

(Not to mention Dr. Strange taking a back slot in the book to his new series!)

Fury's never had any problem hitting targets. perhaps he's wearing a contact that adjusts his vision.

StoneGold
11-16-2006, 05:22 PM
(Have you ever tried target practice or shooting at moving targets with only ONE eye covered?

No, like you, I like to keep both my eyes covered.

Generally though, when you line up the sights, you tend to keep an eye closed.

In any case, being a one-eyed asshole didn't keep the guy Fury was based on from being in a sensitive leadership position.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/nl/thumb/e/e0/MosheDayan.jpg/180px-MosheDayan.jpg

ednemo
11-16-2006, 06:13 PM
No, like you, I like to keep both my eyes covered.

Generally though, when you line up the sights, you tend to keep an eye closed.

In any case, being a one-eyed asshole didn't keep the guy Fury was based on from being in a sensitive leadership position.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/nl/thumb/e/e0/MosheDayan.jpg/180px-MosheDayan.jpg

I always shoot with both eyes open. On both pistols and rifles.

StoneGold
11-16-2006, 06:17 PM
I always shoot with both eyes open. On both pistols and rifles.
That's why I put generally and tend. It's not an all or nothing kind of thing. Although both eyes open does tend to make it harder to use the sights. Although I don't think I've ever seen Fury use a sight. He tends to be a fire from the hip kind of guy.

My Moshe Dayan comment still stands though.

Kid Kyoto
11-16-2006, 07:19 PM
Cut himself shaving.

overcomebyfumes
11-16-2006, 07:52 PM
In the recent, Gath Ennis written, "Fury: Pacemak.." er, "Peacemaker", Fury is shot in the eye at close range by a Nazi just prior to the VE Day.

Personally, I feel this story bit, and I'm ignoring it.

Pax.

marshal99
11-16-2006, 11:46 PM
C'mon ,the real story is that Fury is a peeping tom , he likes to take a peep in the keyhole of the bathroom of his female houseguest while they are taking a shower and one day , got caught and got his offending eye poked out. ;)

the4thpip
11-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Sergeant Fury #27 (http://www.comics.org/details.lasso?id=19844) from 1966 told the story. It is probably cheaper to find as a reprint in issue 129 from 1974.

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/73297920300.27.GIF

http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/fullsize/73297920300.129.GIF