PDA

View Full Version : Why does anyone read Robin's series?

The Cool Thatguy
11-03-2006, 08:30 AM
No, this isn't a thread complaining about Cass' treatment, not exactly. Rather, it's an observation about the series as a whole.

And as a whole, if the series were cancelled would anyone really know? Every single major event that might affect Tim is dealt with in another book. King Snake, his big bad, was killed in Gotham Knights. Linx, his Catwoman, was killed in Batgirl (and later again in Robin). His father was killed in I.D. Crisis, and Spoiler died in a Batman book. Even the followup and fallout was dealt with without Robin at all. Bruce adopting Tim was handled in Batman's books too. Heck, Killer Moth was killed and replaced outside Tim's series.

I understand that Bat books wouldn't want to be held captive to Robin's solo book, but he's had over a 100 issues now and yet none of the major events that affect his life really happen in his own book. He's a place holder in his own series. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Damo
11-03-2006, 08:58 AM
WORD.

(ten characters)

PanzerMega
11-03-2006, 09:07 AM
Yep, it all seems kind of unneccesary.

Robin's book was really good in the late 90s though. The whole thing with Stephanie being pregnant impacted Robin in his own book, and made for some really solid comics too.

Now though? blah.

colossus34
11-03-2006, 09:14 AM
Thats a very keen observation but I don't think its reason to cancel his solo. I do think he's getting better major storylines(example being Cass turning evil in his title).

What he needs is to continue to clearly distinguish himself from the other Robins. They need to stop turning him into Teen Titans Dick Grayson Robin and find ways to empahsize his differences in personality, skill-sets, relationships, character and allowing him to resolve issues in his own series then his book becomes more important and relevant.

Damo
11-03-2006, 09:23 AM
Thats a very keen observation but I don't think its reason to cancel his solo. I do think he's getting better major storylines(example being Cass turning evil in his title).

That's really more of a major change in a different member of the Bat family happening in Robin's book. Not really a big change for Robin happening in his own book.

And for pity's sake, someone needs to bring back King Snake. That was just a horrible death for him. The blind villain read ancient texts in it as a plot point. Let me repeat that. The blind villain read books. (And I doubt Kobra was keeping braile copies of their "for the leader's eyes only" books). Yeesh.

glennsim
11-03-2006, 09:48 AM
No, this isn't a thread complaining about Cass' treatment, not exactly. Rather, it's an observation about the series as a whole.

And as a whole, if the series were cancelled would anyone really know? Every single major event that might affect Tim is dealt with in another book. King Snake, his big bad, was killed in Gotham Knights. Linx, his Catwoman, was killed in Batgirl (and later again in Robin). His father was killed in I.D. Crisis, and Spoiler died in a Batman book. Even the followup and fallout was dealt with without Robin at all. Bruce adopting Tim was handled in Batman's books too. Heck, Killer Moth was killed and replaced outside Tim's series.

I understand that Bat books wouldn't want to be held captive to Robin's solo book, but he's had over a 100 issues now and yet none of the major events that affect his life really happen in his own book. He's a place holder in his own series. Am I the only one who thinks this?

Interesting concept, and not something I had noticed.

I guess I would file it under the same category as "nothing major in Superman's life is going to happen in Justice League", in that Justice League isn't Superman's main book, it's a "sideline".

Despite the title, it could be said that Robin is Batman's sidekick, so therefore his "main" books are Batman's books, and "Robin" is just a sideline.

Just a thought...

MadroxTMMan
11-03-2006, 10:20 AM
It does seem like Robin's major plot twists get farmed out to the other titles. Still, it must have an audience if DC keeps putting it out. Titles that don't sell seem to get canned fast.

Choppa
11-03-2006, 10:36 AM
Bring back Gotham Knights and have it feature rotating stories with Catwoman/Batgirl/Robin/Nightwing and cancel their respective solo books.

Effect
11-03-2006, 11:03 AM
You know I wonder if DC even realizes they are actually doing this with the title. I hadn't noticed this before then again I don't even bother with the title really anyway but that more has do with the actual character of Tim Drake rather then any writing or art issues. Just don't care for the comic version of the character to much. However it is disappointing to think that all of the major stuff for the character gets resolved in other titles and not his own.

Like the whole Jason Todd situation, was that ever covered in his own title or just in Teen Titans? I would think something like that would warrent a issue or two since both are or were Robins and it being a title called Robin. I'm surprised to hear as well that the adoption wasn't touched on in his own title as well but instead only in Batman's.

Should the book be canceled, not sure but one should ask is there any real purpose to it with more important things with the character happening in other books?

glennsim
11-03-2006, 11:31 AM
Just to clarify my point earlier, I think there are entertaining stories to be told about a character that don't necessarily evolve the character greatly. That's why I use the Justice League example. Superman has interesting adventures as part of the Justice League, but those stories aren't likely to have a large effect on the status quo for Superman.

Similarly, Robin is able to have entertaining adventures on his own, even though none of them might have a major effect on his life.

Doesn't prevent them from being entertaining...

shaunyc56
11-03-2006, 11:34 AM
I read because I like seeing the way Tim handles his cases on his own, I see a great mix of Bruces tactics, Dicks athletics and a keen victomologist sensability. I like earth shaking events as much as the next guy, but good hero on a case stories work for me.

(Also he kicked Xena's ass, take that cass) kidding pls no knife throwing.

kel25
11-03-2006, 11:58 AM
I started reading Robin because of War Games. Kept the series until I got towards the end of the story arc where a military unit was trying to recruit him. That arc was so bad I couldn’t stand reading anymore so I dropped it with the intent to come back later. Came back for the Cass arc and I ripped that arc up once it was over and dropped the title. The first time I was reading the solo I grabbed as many back issues as I could.

I like Tim but what I’ve read in his solo has ranged from ok to garbage. Even though I wouldn't miss the series I'm sure there are several people that would.

Drink
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
You know, I never noticed this, but I really should have. You're absolutely right, Tim never got any big character developments occur in his solo (at least recently), but instead outsourced to a 'bigger' book.

And thinking about it, what few recent developments that have happened-- Namely Cass and him meeting Captain Boomerang-- were generally not as well accepted as they could have been.

This isn't exclusive to Robin either. Look at all the sidekicks, like Nightwing for instance, who are written one way in their solo or whatever, than written a completely different way in another book. It's really just lack of consistancy.

Perhaps their logic is that Robin isn't a big enough book for such things to happen in, yet if they don't do such events in his own book, it will never rise to become anything better. Or perhaps that's the idea. They just want something to peddle to the niche fans, then do the big stuff in the 'more important' books.

Brack360
11-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Robin's series was great during most of Chuck Dixon's run. During the three writers' runs since then, it has been mediocre at best and an insult to my intelligence at worst. I personally believe that what made Robin succeed as a solo character apart from Batman were the ongoing sub-plots about Tim's personal life and his struggle to keep his secret from his parents and girlfriend. By killing Jack Drake and placing Tim into Wayne Manor, they have taken all of that away and gotten to a point where a Robin solo series really doesn't make any sense. In addition, Jack's death could not have happened at a worse time. It happened right when Stephanie was being killed off in another title and did not allow for any character development that could have come from the intriguing idea of Tim's father knowing his secret. They need to either bring Tim back to his roots or replace the Robin title with a "Batman and Robin" title, allowing Batman to remain a solo character in his own series and Tec.

Constantine Drakon
11-04-2006, 10:12 AM
I stopped reading it when Tim moved away from Gotham to Keystone. I hated those issues. I picked it up again for Cassandra, but the magic just didn't feel there.

I didn't know about King Snake though. How did he die?

Armless Penguin
11-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Robin's series was great back in the '90s and sort of dropped off in quality in later years. The latest issues especially, though, have felt rather drab and uninteresting--so much so that, combined with the whole Batgirl debacle, I dropped the book. I can't exactly pick out why, but there's just something that's missing.

And bringing King Snake back would be awesome.

Drink
11-04-2006, 02:46 PM
Robin's series was great during most of Chuck Dixon's run. During the three writers' runs since then, it has been mediocre at best and an insult to my intelligence at worst. I personally believe that what made Robin succeed as a solo character apart from Batman were the ongoing sub-plots about Tim's personal life and his struggle to keep his secret from his parents and girlfriend. By killing Jack Drake and placing Tim into Wayne Manor, they have taken all of that away and gotten to a point where a Robin solo series really doesn't make any sense. In addition, Jack's death could not have happened at a worse time. It happened right when Stephanie was being killed off in another title and did not allow for any character development that could have come from the intriguing idea of Tim's father knowing his secret. They need to either bring Tim back to his roots or replace the Robin title with a "Batman and Robin" title, allowing Batman to remain a solo character in his own series and Tec.
More excellent points.

I'll admit that I don't know as much about Tim as some here do, but I can definitely see the change in character the last couple of years. Very gradually they made a transition to turn him into a carbon copy of Dick Grayson. I really think the idea of him dealing with a life outside of Batman is an excellent concept, and what made him unique from the other Robins and likeable.

Also, the closer relationship between Batman and Robin OYL as compared to prior makes the concept of a solo series more difficult to pinpoint in terms of continuity, because he's seemingly joined at the hip with Batman in that book, yet on his own in Robin. That might be my general issue with Robin's solo altogether anyway, but I liked it when Batman and Robin together was a semi-occasional thing and not constant myself.