PDA

View Full Version : Independent Military Comic Book

charliefoxtrotfilms
10-30-2006, 10:38 AM
Charlie Foxtrot Films is made up of military vets who have years of experience in film and in art. While working on the film "City of Fire" under the direction of war and war movie vet, Dale Dye, all of us at CFF felt it would be kewl to do a comic book series based on real life war stories. We have talent, know-how and financial backing. So, we are doing it.

We are working on our first, soon to be published, comic book called "G.I. Journals", and the first four part series in it "City of Fire", based on the personal journals of Ernesto Haibi, U.S. Army combat medic who served in Mosul, Iraq, and fought in the battle depicted in the book.

To us, there seemed to be a shortage of real, true life war stories that have both drama and action, and we felt we were the best suited to fill that void. Most of us avid comic book readers, and three of us professional illustrators and artists as well as writers. So, it only made sense for us to do a comic as well as the film.

Our current plan is to keep it for mature readers, as there is a crap load of violence, gore and langauge.

Each issue will have an established artist do the cover. Currently we are talking with the reps for artists like Alex Ross, Bill Sienkiewicz, Arthur Suydam and the amazing Star Wars and Indiana Jone artist Drew Struzan.

Now, we have the pulse of all our comic book loving fellow military vets who love what we are doing. But, we are curious waht the average comic book reader who is not in the military thinks of such a comic book?

Does this sound like something you guys would like?

What do you guys think of this project?

Here's a small sample of some pre-art for the project.

http://www.charliefoxtrotfilms.com/images/cfp01_small.jpg

charliefoxtrotfilms
10-31-2006, 06:30 AM
Kewl... two votes in the poll question for having it as an ongoing series.

Well, I guess I could talk a little more about the series...

First off, weare trying to NOT be like the old G.I. Combat or the Frontline Combat series and especially nothing like Sergeant Rock. Great classic comics, but they were all written as two dimensional characters, targeting a younger age group. Simplified situations and reactions, made them good fun for a kid, but not so much for mature readers.

These guys aren't super heroes, by any margin, because less than one ounce of a metal projectile could stop them in their tracks. However, they are no less heroic in how they face eminent danger daily, and do so without complaint or hesitation. Though, some things they do, border on super human, and I have witnessed amazing acts by soldiers in action.

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-01-2006, 05:54 AM
Thanks for your emails, guys.
Feel free to post here, though, so others can read your thoughts.

In answer to a couple questions I got by email, we are rethinking the structure of the series, which we thankfully can at this juncture. Basically, having City of Fire be an ongoing series in the front of the comic, so people can get to know the boys of Blackhawk Squad, and the Stryker platoon they ride with. And have the second half of the comic to be dedicated to submitted stories from other wars, no matter what war it is we fought in... from revolutionary war to the current conflicts. The book is open to any conflict our country has partaken in.

To answer the second question asked, we are printing the comic in prestige format, but with ads. We like the look of the prestige style. There will be at least 35 pages of story per issue. We are deliberating now on the length. The comic will be in full color.

Later,
G

matt levin
11-03-2006, 05:24 PM
Hi,

I am a big fan of Don Lomax's "Vietman Journal" (and a lesser fan of his "Desert Storm Journal"). What I liked was the well-conveyed sense of "I was there and this I saw and heard." Very little sensationalism; but gore at it's most sudden and shocking, as when it happened. Too, I liked the historical content, and that Lomax included a page of 'world events' to help place "The War" in context.

There are few "war comics" out there that I've liked, that've conveyed the sense of 'it just happened like this'. "Real War Stories," from what? ten? fifteen? years ago came close, but as an anthology title, lacked that all-important continuing character who holds the reader to the situations at hand.

Your package sounds generous-- but as a $25-30 a week purchaser, I find I very very rarely will purchase a comic for more than the (current) going rate of $3 cover price. I'm not impressed with slick paper or heavy-gauge covers. If the interior quality is high--pictures clear, and carefully crafted, and the words concise, accurate and grammatical, descriptive not of the picture but of what's NOT shown--if that work is high quality work, there's no need for price-raising papers or even color. If that work is not a quality performance, cardboard covers and high-gloss papers will not save it.

I know 'graphic novels' is, indeed, the way to go, but the very best way to introduce us to your work is by way of the monthly (/quarterly/whateverly) issue, for at least the first four-six issues.

Thanks for making the time and taking the effort to create what I think is a most important comic.

best wishes,
Matt

shyguy
11-03-2006, 05:28 PM
I would be very interested in such a book.

Preferably as an ongoing series. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a $3 issue off a rack, but I almost certainly wouldn't buy a $20 or more graphic novel without having sampled the content.

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi,

I am a big fan of Don Lomax's "Vietman Journal" (and a lesser fan of his "Desert Storm Journal"). What I liked was the well-conveyed sense of "I was there and this I saw and heard." Very little sensationalism; but gore at it's most sudden and shocking, as when it happened. Too, I liked the historical content, and that Lomax included a page of 'world events' to help place "The War" in context.

There are few "war comics" out there that I've liked, that've conveyed the sense of 'it just happened like this'. "Real War Stories," from what? ten? fifteen? years ago came close, but as an anthology title, lacked that all-important continuing character who holds the reader to the situations at hand.

Your package sounds generous-- but as a $25-30 a week purchaser, I find I very very rarely will purchase a comic for more than the (current) going rate of $3 cover price. I'm not impressed with slick paper or heavy-gauge covers. If the interior quality is high--pictures clear, and carefully crafted, and the words concise, accurate and grammatical, descriptive not of the picture but of what's NOT shown--if that work is high quality work, there's no need for price-raising papers or even color. If that work is not a quality performance, cardboard covers and high-gloss papers will not save it.

I know 'graphic novels' is, indeed, the way to go, but the very best way to introduce us to your work is by way of the monthly (/quarterly/whateverly) issue, for at least the first four-six issues.

Thanks for making the time and taking the effort to create what I think is a most important comic.

best wishes,
Matt

A most excellent post.
There is no doubt our intent to do a graphic novel. But, first we will publish a four part mini series, like you mentioned, to introduce the story and ghet it out there.

We will print it on nice paper, but not go overboard. However, we will print it in full color, as I want the warm colors of the desert. It will be rather monochromatic, to some degree.

There were few war comics I have been exposed to that I liked. I never read, though, the one you mentioned. Perhaps it would be the exception.

I know that Dale Dye is behind what we are doing, and is writing the introduction for the series. Hell of a guy, Capt. Dye. Busy working on major films for major studios, and takes the time out of his schedule to help some low ranking grunts like us.

Anyway, Matt, I'd like to chat with you some time. I could use someone like you to talk with on such an important plan.

Thanks again.
Gerry

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-04-2006, 01:47 AM
I would be very interested in such a book.

Preferably as an ongoing series. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a $3 issue off a rack, but I almost certainly wouldn't buy a $20 or more graphic novel without having sampled the content.

Our comic will be right around $3.00. The graphic novel version will most likely be less than $20.00. I don't believe in over charging people just because you can. I will only mark it up a bit above what we pay, to cover costs, taxes, paying the other artists, etc... As long as we don't take a loss, pay those involved and have something left over to donate to the Wounded Warriors group, I'll be satisfied.

Thanks for your input.
Gerry

Aaron King
11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
I just caught this post. I'm interested in non-fiction/historical comic books and this sounds like a good idea to me. I've been picking up DC/Vertigo's The Other Side, but it's a little to "horror movie" for me. I'd be happy to instead be paying for a more true-to-life war comic.

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-05-2006, 12:42 PM
I just caught this post. I'm interested in non-fiction/historical comic books and this sounds like a good idea to me. I've been picking up DC/Vertigo's The Other Side, but it's a little to "horror movie" for me. I'd be happy to instead be paying for a more true-to-life war comic.

Aaron,
Thanks for posting, man, and I I hear ya. It is that reason we did it, because we love reality based comics, and were looking for a war one... and there was zip. So, we did it ourselves.

Everyone can help us by asking their local stores if they have it or will get it, when we get closer to the date of publication.

Later,
Gerry

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-05-2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks for posting to our poll question.

We came to a conclusion this weekend, after having a production meeting Saturday.

We have decided to take the name "G.I. Journals" out of the title, making "City of Fire" the main title, and making the ongoing stories of Blackhawk Company (no relationship to the helicoptor), 1st Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment "Tomahawks", part of the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/2id-3bde.htm).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/images/2id-3bde.gif (http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/army/2id-3bde.htm)

Hoo-Ah!

The boys of Blackhawn company set the presidence for how to fight insurgents so well, that KUMA WAR (http://www.kumawar.com/BattleforMosul/overview.php) even made a video game about them.

We decided that there have been a zillion comics and mags focusing on the world wars and Vietnam, and no one has done anything about our guys, of whom many are still over there now, still fighting. Our comic series is dedicated to the men and women fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

However, at the rear of each issue we will have "G.I. Journals". That section will be dedicated to personal combat stories, submitted by vets or their families, and read by an drawn version of Ernesto Haibi (http://candle_in_the_dark.blogspot.com/)... sort of like the "Red Shoe Diaries", with the sex replaced by combat. LOL We will fully illustrate the personal stories submited that we end up picking for that issue.

If you all are curious who Ernesto Haibi is, feel free to read his blog site (http://candle_in_the_dark.blogspot.com/). It is a very popular site, and he has been featured on NPR and other radio and televised programs regarding his combat experiences.

He is the NO-Sh*t Real Deal.

I look forward to responding to all the posts in here. That is, when I am not busy drawing the pages of the comic book. :D

Later,
Gerry

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-06-2006, 11:28 PM
A work in progress... drawing the Stryker today was fun.
http://www.charliefoxtrotfilms.com/images/cfp03_small.jpg

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-08-2006, 06:12 AM
Here's your sneak peek at page two from the comic.... :D

http://www.charliefoxtrotfilms.com/images/page2sample.jpg

Ed Cunard
11-08-2006, 06:58 AM
I'd consider checking it out, based on the samples provided.

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-08-2006, 07:09 AM
I'd consider checking it out, based on the samples provided.

Ed,
Thanks for posting.

I have a gut feeling that, with the samples we are posting, people will appreciate the work, the subject and will want the comic when it's done. I am also certain of this one thing; that if you like war comics, you are going to love our comic book.

Gerry

charliefoxtrotfilms
11-14-2006, 09:34 AM
Jon, my co-artist on the project created this beauty.
It is the Stryker vehicle, which will be featured throughout 90% of the book.
http://www.charliefoxtrotfilms.com/images/strykerdeus15.jpg

charliefoxtrotfilms
12-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Latest color work from a page of our comic.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a173/cohensghost/page6.jpg

Also, our press release is featured on Comic Book Resources main page (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9262)

the goddamn batman
12-30-2006, 02:54 PM
I think a GN would be the best way to start.

I'd buy a GN, but most new ongoings get the pass from me. I just have to many singles, and I hate those boxes full of comics. I have a great bookshelf with room on it and I'd rather not wait month to month for the next part of the story.

Though, I know nothing about the logistics of monthlies vs. GN's. I only know that I prefer GN's.

Best of luck to you.

charliefoxtrotfilms
12-31-2006, 06:48 PM
I think a GN would be the best way to start.

I'd buy a GN, but most new ongoings get the pass from me. I just have to many singles, and I hate those boxes full of comics. I have a great bookshelf with room on it and I'd rather not wait month to month for the next part of the story.

Though, I know nothing about the logistics of monthlies vs. GN's. I only know that I prefer GN's.

Best of luck to you.

yeah. The comic series is really only to promote the GN, which we already have planned.

Johnny_H
01-03-2007, 11:25 PM
OMG! I would LOVE this book!
It would also be cool to have a monthly book that tells the story of a random soldier, be it a Private in the trenches of WW1, a Soldier in the Ranks of the French Imperial Guard at Waterloo, or one of the VC Winners at Rorkes Drift! it would be incredible.

This is no doubt a great start though :D As long as a military comic book is done tastefully and in tribute to the brave soldiers that fight, and die for our respective nations, its a well spent effort!

If you release this on a large enough scale that it makes it to Canada I will buy every issue!

PS Thanks for posting over at MilitaryPhotos.NET ( no URL of course I am not trying to advertise ), but thanks none the less :D