PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Immonen is the new artist on ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!

Sean Walsh
10-26-2006, 06:29 AM
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=88987

Great news. I like how his art has progressed over the years, and it should provide an interesting look for USM now that Mark's moving on...

Cayman
10-26-2006, 06:46 AM
He'll be great.

I wonder if he'll use the sharper style he's been using on Next Wave and Ultimate X-Men, or go for a little rounder look. Either way, he should be a great fit.

Locue
10-26-2006, 06:59 AM
Oh, thank you God for this wonderful, wonderful day.

This is gonna be awesome.

R Krippler
10-26-2006, 10:16 AM
The day has finally come were I can go against the majority... I detest the art of Immonen. I might just drop USM.

P.S. Today I became a comic book nerd:p

spacy
10-26-2006, 10:35 AM
never liked his art so far. But i'll have a look. Like ultimate spider-man too much to cancel without giving it a fair chance :)

Beast
10-26-2006, 10:36 AM
Cool. A worthy successor. Hopefully he's around with Bendis for 100+ issues as well. :)

rwsmith
10-26-2006, 11:16 AM
Meh. Never been impressed with his art. I've pretty much dropped all of my Ultimate books anyway except for the Ultimates, so doesn't really impact me one way or the other.

Doom Hammer
10-26-2006, 11:42 AM
Uhm, hells yeah?!

brian2322
10-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Well i dont hate it. If he doesnt use his ultimate x-men and nextwave style then i think it will be fine. I mean i just dont think its a great fit.

Mister Mets
10-26-2006, 01:57 PM
I have high expectations, but I do believe this is a good choice.

MaxofSteel
10-26-2006, 02:06 PM
I wasn't really aware of Immonen's art until fairly recently but I like what I see. Definitely looking forwar to the guy's run:)

Joe Rice
10-26-2006, 02:09 PM
I've liked him since his Legion work. May even be enough to get me to pick up this book.

ultimatespyder20
10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
Oh man this is going to be awesome. Great choice, really looking forward to it.

Alec

Pyro
10-26-2006, 03:51 PM
This is surprising! Immonen is one of my favorite artists! I didn't expect him to be put on this book though. I can't wait to see what his work will look like. I know he's got amazing technical skills and is very good at storytelling, but he's so versatile with his style that you can't be sure which one he's going to use. I wouldn't be surprised nor upset if he used the same cartoony style he's used so far throughout his Ultimate work.

The Foreigner
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
I can now die happy.

There's not a better choice out there; I can't freaking wait.

:D :D :D :D

Brian Cronin
10-26-2006, 07:15 PM
Honestly, I think it's a bit of a waste of Immonen's particular skill set.

That being said, he's an awesome artist, and it's a big move for Marvel.

-Brian

Agent Helix
10-27-2006, 06:33 AM
A waste? He's a great artist, and this is a very high-profile Marvel book. Anything that gets him the kind of exposure he deserves is not a waste.

Sheldon
10-27-2006, 06:42 AM
I think he means the they type of stuff Bendis will have him draw won't make the best use of his talents.

Agent Helix
10-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I know, but thinking realistically, this is the book more people are likely to see his work on.

I mean, we all know what happens to books like Nextwave.

;_;

Joe Rice
10-27-2006, 06:46 AM
I think he means the they type of stuff Bendis will have him draw won't make the best use of his talents.

Yeah, I agree. I love his work, but I'm not even sure still if I'll even try it on this book. It's just such a . . .lackluster thing to me.

Agent Helix
10-27-2006, 07:15 AM
You guys are just grumps.

valentine
10-27-2006, 10:14 AM
Very excited for this. Stuart's an extremely versatile artist, I'm looking forward to seeing what he brings to this title next year.

Jack
10-27-2006, 10:25 AM
I think it's a good move for him, even if it may be a waste. Hopefully he'll continue to build momentum.

valentine
10-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Not trying to stir it up here, but what's with the waste commentary?

1WEBHEAD
10-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I guess I'm the only one "let down". Dont get me wrong, Immonen's art is great and unique but Immonen's art on the book is gonna feel like a step down from Bagely's IMO. I would have rather had artists like Norton, Finch and Brooks to have the job. But when Bagely is gone and Immonen moves in, I read the book with an open mind.:cool: I'll give him a chance to wow me like he has to the other posters here.:)

tracker7
10-27-2006, 07:23 PM
I would have rather had artists like Norton, Finch and Brooks to have the job.

Who's Norton and Brooks? Finch is no good, IMHO.

wingsofdamnation
10-27-2006, 10:06 PM
i've never really liked his art but i think this might go well. good replacement for bagly i think. i think brookes would be a better replacement though. i loved his art on the first ult spid anual

1WEBHEAD
10-28-2006, 06:25 AM
Who's Norton and Brooks? Finch is no good, IMHO.

Norton
http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/0206/maradvsm012_cvr_sm.jpg
http://www.marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1105/madvsm009_cov_sm.jpg

Brooks
http://www.thepunisher.com/past_news/may_2006/ULTSMANN002_cov.jpg

I AM SLIM
10-28-2006, 11:18 AM
i think i may actualy pick this book up now.

Affinity
10-28-2006, 12:30 PM
This is such good news! I'll definitely be picking the book up regularly now.

kudlaty_true
10-28-2006, 04:31 PM
YUCK!
If he will draw Spidey adventures with style from Ultimate X-men. I remember not so far ago, when he first hit these series. Everybody was like: God, he's awful, he's not good, blah blah. Now there is HUGE appreciation. Why? His art is lacking details and it's "edgy".
Damn, why not Brooks? He was perfect for the job. I remember when he made both Annuals. There was *NO* bad word about him. At least I can't remember, if there was. I don't care where in Marvel food chain sits Immonen, I want Brooks.
Well, in the end I rather see Immonen than most pencilers Marvel have, but there is still at least 5 of them better than him.

The Foreigner
10-28-2006, 05:18 PM
YUCK!
If he will draw Spidey adventures with style from Ultimate X-men. I remember not so far ago, when he first hit these series. Everybody was like: God, he's awful, he's not good, blah blah. Now there is HUGE appreciation.

Well, either a) There were two seperate groups of people saying these things or, b) Those people gained an appreciation for his artwork.

Why? His art is lacking details and it's "edgy".

He also is a master of facial expressions, movement, and composition. That too.

Damn, why not Brooks? He was perfect for the job.

He can't keep a monthly schedule. It's been said over and over and over.

I remember when he made both Annuals. There was *NO* bad word about him. At least I can't remember, if there was.

Except for, you know, all of those people who said they didn't like his artwork.

Solario
10-29-2006, 09:54 AM
YUCK!
If he will draw Spidey adventures with style from Ultimate X-men. I remember not so far ago, when he first hit these series. Everybody was like: God, he's awful, he's not good, blah blah. Now there is HUGE appreciation. Why? His art is lacking details and it's "edgy".

Whatever happened to clarity in art and great technical skill? Let's bring back hyperdetails, hell let's have the extreme 90's back! They were filled with details! Too bad the craft suffered tremendously under it and everything looked the same.

Damn, why not Brooks? He was perfect for the job. I remember when he made both Annuals. There was *NO* bad word about him. At least I can't remember, if there was. I don't care where in Marvel food chain sits Immonen, I want Brooks.

Brooks was alright, but I don't believe he is even in the same league as someone like Immonen.

I will admit that I hope, and indications from some of his reviews seem to follow this, that he modifies his style a little to accompany Bendis' "talking heads" comics a bit more. Though I do wish Bendis was off aswell. It's just not been as good as it use to.

Anyway he's going to rock. I'm glad I found a board where people actually appreciate good craftsmanship.

Brian Cronin
10-29-2006, 09:56 AM

Correct.

That's the gist of the waste commentary.

-Brian

curefreak
10-29-2006, 08:42 PM
Wow even Brian Cronin critisizes bendis.

Euchre0
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
I've never liked Immonen's art. Like kudlaty_true said, his characters always seemed bulky and cube-ish. Many in this thread have stated that they like Immonen's attention to detail, but i wonder what deatails you guys are thinking of. I even got out my issues of Ultimate x-Men and Ultimate Fantasitc Four that he worked on to see if i missed something. In UFF, he did have detailed robot bugs working for Doom, but as far as character faces, landscape, etc., i don't see any detailed work. Honestly, his stuff reminds me of a 505 version of Phil Hester.

Anyway, I am not trying to argue or be jerk, i just honestly am surprised by the admiration for Immonen.

I've give his run on Spidey 4-5 issues before i consider dropping it, especially since i think, after a few issues, fans will clamor for someone closer to Bagely's style.:)

steve2275
11-07-2006, 10:03 PM
i wonder if itll look as good as nextwave did when it first started

Kaos
11-08-2006, 08:25 PM
immonen's tight, JR JR woulda been a better guy..due to him being amazing but I ain gonna trip cos Immonen got the job.