PDA

View Full Version : FABLES 1001 Nights of Snowfall

scratchie
10-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Anyone got it yet? I just ordered it from instocktrades.com so I won't have it for a week or so.

LooksBetterDrawn
10-19-2006, 10:54 AM
i did but have not had the time to read it yet...looks beautiful though, inside and out.

FanboyStranger
10-19-2006, 12:21 PM
I was underwhelmed. Very nice art, but it basically boiled down to Fables: Secret Files and Origins. I expect more from a Fables book, especially since the monthly book continues to impress at the issue count where most Vertigo books tend to tread water waiting for the big conclusion.

Schmakt
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
I really didn't know what to expect at all going in, but I REALLY liked it. It may have been Secret Files & Origins, but I thought it was handled very very well. The way Willingham tied in so many well-known (and I'm sure some lesser known) fables into the origins of the Fables we know was great.

It was like a whole bunch of Andy Rooney's "The Rest of the Story" shows in a row.

The only thing that bugged me was that there wasn't conversation b/t Snow and the Sultan between each story break. Perhaps it would have gotten tedious tho, and I would have disliked the segues had they been there.

Anyway. Thumbs up from me - I'm very happy to have read it. :)

Brock
10-20-2006, 11:52 AM
An impressive package, with great effort from the artists all round. It was good to finally see James Jean and Tara McPherson get to do some interior work. Though its a bit of a shame that Brian Bolland wasn't given a section with a higher page count.

Its true that the story material didn't offer much new information for those that have been reading the main title closely. Even so the Flycatcher's tale was appropriately harrowing. While the Prince Charming/Snow story considerably deepend our understanding of the Prince's motivations and the decline of his relationship with Snow.

Ottmeister X
10-20-2006, 10:50 PM
I got it, but haven't read it yet. I'm saving it for last after I get through my regular two week abundance. For $20, it sure is beautiful. Looks like some top-notch artistic talent inside of it.

The Adventurer
10-21-2006, 02:02 PM
An impressive package, with great effort from the artists all round. It was good to finally see James Jean and Tara McPherson get to do some interior work. Though its a bit of a shame that Brian Bolland wasn't given a section with a higher page count.

Its true that the story material didn't offer much new information for those that have been reading the main title closely. Even so the Flycatcher's tale was appropriately harrowing. While the Prince Charming/Snow story considerably deepend our understanding of the Prince's motivations and the decline of his relationship with Snow.

I think it added quite a bit to the Fables backstory. Explaining things like "What's really up with Flycatcher?" and how the Frun Totenkinder was not only the Black Forest Witch, but most of the "Fairy Godmothers" and the hag who cursed Beast. That was a great idea I didn't suspect.

Ilash
10-22-2006, 02:07 PM
And Bill Willingham does it again. Fables has never felt more like Sandman's true successor than it does here but it pretty much blows away the similar Sandman: Endless Nights as every single page blends beautiful, fully appropriate art with sharp, powerful writing. It's hard to pick a favourite story, they're all just too good but I just want to single out Flycatcher's story for being such a truly heartbreaking tour de force.

Fables continues to be the best comic out there (from my limited experience anyway) and this OGN more than follows the trend.

Anon_me
10-22-2006, 03:27 PM
I liked Frau Tokenkinder's story the best, I think; interesting how they have her being tied to so many different stories.

Schmakt
10-23-2006, 08:37 AM
I liked Frau Tokenkinder's story the best, I think; interesting how they have her being tied to so many different stories.

I think I liked this the best too... seeing it intertwine through all the different fairy tales was really cool. :)

ocelotrevs
10-23-2006, 08:48 AM
I've been reading this, and it has not dissapointed me so far.
The art work, lovely on the eye as usual. And the writing as well.

Snow's story was very interesting indeed.
Flycatcher's was pretty intense to read.

Butters415
10-23-2006, 03:11 PM
I loved this book! Are there any other Fables books out there? Here are the ones I know about:

Fables 1-54
Fables - The Last Castle
Fables - 1001 Nights of Snowfall
The Jack of Fables spinoff series

Anyone know of any other Fables out there?

Ilash
10-23-2006, 05:06 PM
I loved this book! Are there any other Fables books out there? Here are the ones I know about:

Fables 1-54
Fables - The Last Castle
Fables - 1001 Nights of Snowfall
The Jack of Fables spinoff series

Anyone know of any other Fables out there?

Nope. I do believe you got them all.

Ottmeister X
10-24-2006, 09:13 PM
I finished it tonight. One of the better spent sawbucks that I have ever used. They could have charged $30 easily for as crisp and professional and beautiful a book as this was. Who cares if it didn't give anyway new to the current state of the Fables storyline. Top-notch artistic talent with quality story-telling and lettering. Any book with Vess and Jean in it is well worth the money. I also enjoyed the quick biographies at the end.

Ray192
10-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Why did Snow White look so Asian in the first story? And why did she look so brown in the Arab pictures?

Otherwise, all good. Though what the 7 dwarves did to Snow White reminds me of a weird comic I read a while back... >_<

dancj
10-25-2006, 05:10 AM
Why did Snow White look so Asian in the first story? And why did she look so brown in the Arab pictures?

Otherwise, all good. Though what the 7 dwarves did to Snow White reminds me of a weird comic I read a while back... >_<

I haven't read it, but I suspect it's similar to the reason Sandman is black in the african story with Nada and Martian to J'onn Jonnz. These stories have evolved for centuries in lots of different countries. Each country's verison would be equally valid, so if she turns up in an arabian story she's likely to be Arabian etc...

Dan

Ray192
10-25-2006, 08:32 PM
King Cole didn't suddenly turn brown when he visited Baghdad, so why should Snow WHITE turn brown all of the sudden?

The Adventurer
10-25-2006, 09:32 PM
Cole wear's heavy clothes and a hat and doesn't tan?

dancj
10-26-2006, 05:19 AM
King Cole didn't suddenly turn brown when he visited Baghdad, so why should Snow WHITE turn brown all of the sudden?

It's pure guesswork, but maybe Old King Cole's story is tied to a particular country/ethnicity, but Snow Whites story has travelled more.

Dan

ultramandingo
10-29-2006, 10:19 AM
hows about a colonel thunderfoot mini? bunnies fightin orcs! anyone know what fable hes based on?

Strannik
10-29-2006, 02:14 PM
It's pure guesswork, but maybe Old King Cole's story is tied to a particular country/ethnicity, but Snow Whites story has travelled more.

Dan

Given that Old King Cole's story has a root in Celtic legend (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_King_Cole), I think you might be on to something.

MrPunch0
10-29-2006, 02:46 PM
I thought it had more to do with the 1,001 story being a retelling of the tale (it starts "Once upon a time") - while when Cole visited the Arabian Fables is was in "real time."

So it's like Sandman - when Sandman is part of an African tale, he appears as a black man. When he appears as part of a cat tale, he appears as a cat ...

Kolgrim
10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
I had a question about this book and thought this would be as good a place as any to ask. My friend and I have often spoke the praises of the Fables series and each consenting that we should probably be reading it. We both know the premise/story but haven't actually read any of the books.

I have recently begun buying the trades (although they haven't arrived yet) and saw this, in hardcover, listed with the other books. I know my friend hasn't read the series, but would this make a good gift for him? I guess what I'm saying is, will he be completely lost reading this before the series?

Thanks.

-Kolgrim

Butters415
10-30-2006, 03:58 PM
You can read Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall at any point without being lost or ruining any of the other stories. Part of the fun of the book is seeing some of the backgrounds of Snow White, Flycatcher, King Cole, Reynard the Fox, and Frau Totenkinder, but your friend will still enjoy it.

I had a question about this book and thought this would be as good a place as any to ask. My friend and I have often spoke the praises of the Fables series and each consenting that we should probably be reading it. We both know the premise/story but haven't actually read any of the books.

I have recently begun buying the trades (although they haven't arrived yet) and saw this, in hardcover, listed with the other books. I know my friend hasn't read the series, but would this make a good gift for him? I guess what I'm saying is, will he be completely lost reading this before the series?

Thanks.

-Kolgrim

Kolgrim
10-30-2006, 04:12 PM
Right on, thanks.

MatthewC
10-31-2006, 08:44 AM
I didn't think Snow White looked particularly asian.

Just picked this up last night. There were some very neat stories in there, and some of them were very touching. I don't think I'll ever look at King Cole the same way again. (I should go back and read the earlier FABLES stories to see if his characterization looks different in a new light.)

Bigby's story was telling for just how much living in Fabletown has changed him. Of course he knew that he had been a very bad wolf once upon a time, but even expecting the worst I was surprised at just how bad a wolf he was.

I found the first story, Snow's own story, to be good but perhaps a little too long. Also, I was somewhat disappointed that the big story behind the dwarves turned out to be, "Yeah, the dwarves raped her."

I know that wasn't the point of her story in 1001. The point of that story was revenge and how destructive it can be. But still.

Frau Totenkinder's story was very interesting and horrifying, though I'm not sure if I believe her story about, "bleeding every baby born a little". I wonder if that isn't just something she tells Snow and the others so they don't worry their heads about how she's really maintaining her powers.

The biggest surprise in it, though, was how much Rose Red seemed to like her. Have we ever gotten any hint that Rose and Totenkinder were on such good terms?

Final thought. The view of the Adversary's armies was a horrific one, but one can't help but notice that the "legitimate" Fable king in this book was putting an innocent woman to death every day.

Captain Atom
11-01-2006, 10:10 AM
I skimmed through it. ;)

Predator
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Just got the book in the mail this morning and read it this afternoon. Very good stories and art! It was interesting seeing Frau and Bigby in their early days. Frau's story is a good example of how a good person can do bad things and become a monster. A similar story for Biby; he was the only cub that really cared for his mother, and his need for revenge led him to become a monster.

The story that really moved me was Flycatcher's. I was tearing up at the end; he forces himself to forget what happened to his family. I hope he gets to find some kind of peace before this series is over. He deserves it. :(

The Lucky One
11-02-2006, 09:53 PM
I found the first story, Snow's own story, to be good but perhaps a little too long. Also, I was somewhat disappointed that the big story behind the dwarves turned out to be, "Yeah, the dwarves raped her."

I'm curious, if there's anyone here knowledgeable about the original stories- did any of the early tellings of the Snow White fable imply this, or did Willingham completely invent it? I don't remember ever hearing anything about it, but a lot of those early versions of fables WERE really dark.

Was slightly thrown when I was rereading Storybook Love last night, because I realized that Bigby tells Snow for the first time that he's the son of the North Wind; she was unaware of it until then. Except 1001 Nights of Snowfall has her telling Bigby's story to the sultan a good century earlier. My guess? A wizard did it.

Flycatcher's was definitely the saddest story, and the most surprising to me- like most probably did, I figured the reason they kept Fly busy was because going back to the Homelands to search for his family would be dangerous, not because they were dead. I understand the reasoning of the other Fables, but it still seems a bit cruel; are they just going to maintain the illusion indefinitely? Wouldn't helping him accept the truth, while difficult, be the most beneficial to his mental health in the long run?

One other question: are Thunderfoot and/or Mersey Dotes from actual fables, or are they both original characters?

-D

Steve Brady
11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
One other question: are Thunderfoot and/or Mersey Dotes from actual fables, or are they both original characters?

Mersey dotes and dozy dotes and little lamsey tivey, a kiddley tivey too wouldn't you?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jgb1soc/Blog/TP-Leland.jpg

ultramandingo
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
Mersey dotes and dozy dotes and little lamsey tivey, a kiddley tivey too wouldn't you?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/jgb1soc/Blog/TP-Leland.jpg

wow !a fable from a great bing crosby song . will ski nose be next?

Murrocko
11-05-2006, 09:34 PM
This was the first Fables book I've read and enjoyed greatly. My favorite character from what little they told of him in this book was Reynard. Does he play a well sized role in the series? Also are there any other oneshot spin-off types that doesn't require me to know much of the actual series?

The Lucky One
11-06-2006, 02:37 PM
This was the first Fables book I've read and enjoyed greatly. My favorite character from what little they told of him in this book was Reynard. Does he play a well sized role in the series? Also are there any other oneshot spin-off types that doesn't require me to know much of the actual series?

Reynard hasn't gotten much screen time yet, no, though that could always change; his most significant appearances have been in the second Fables collection, Animal Farm, and the fifth, The Mean Seasons.

There's only one spinoff of Fables, which is an ongoing series called Jack of Fables; it follows the character of Jack Horner (AKA of the Beanstalk, AKA be nimble) in his adventures following a particular caper of his detailed in the sixth Fables collection, Homelands. Jack of Fables just started a couple of months ago- I'm waiting for the trades, so I couldn't tell you whether it's really accessible or not. My best advice is to just start reading Fables from the beginning through trades; that's what I did a few months ago, and I'm all caught up and in love with it.

-D

Puma
11-06-2006, 03:45 PM
I enjoyed much of 1001 Nights of Snowfall even though a few of the stories felt more like filler than anything else.

I'll be taking my copy down this Saturday to have Willingham sign it at my comic shop. The shop is celebrating thirty years in the business and are having a number of creators/artists come in for signings!

Ryan K
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
I read this last night and loved it. Flycatcher's story was completely heartbreaking. The whole collection was worth it just for those 6-8 pages. But to top it off the rest of the stories are either very good or very solid.

90'sCartoonMan
11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
It took me a while, but I finally finished it. It's such a good read, and the artwork is beautiful. If I had any real complaint, it's I was expecting a bit more from Prince Charming, but I do like how his story comes from Snow's.

Seeing Bigby and Frau were both great. Fly's story probably had the most heart to it, though, so sad. It looks like he may finally address his problem in upcoming issues of Fables.

Mr. Palmer
11-29-2006, 07:44 PM

The spin-off - JACK OF FABLES - is easy to jump into. The first five issues comprise an arc just finished. Come on aboard for #6!

Nitz the Bloody
11-30-2006, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this book; I'm not unhappy that I put down the $20 for it, but on the other hand, it really wasn't necessary for the series. I suppose it works as an introductory book to the " Fableverse ", but nothing in it was particularly illuminating, or at least something that couldn't have been covered in the main series. Even the really good stuff like Bigby and Flycatcher's backstories don't seem particularly relevant.

Well written, beautifully drawn, but ultimately filler. :(

Tommy
04-20-2007, 09:42 PM
The thing I am most curious about is the part of Frau Totenkinder's story where she eats a pie made out of two sisters with their mother. Everyone seems to think this is a reference to Cinderella, but I can't find a version that ends that way...

JoeK32880
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
The thing I am most curious about is the part of Frau Totenkinder's story where she eats a pie made out of two sisters with their mother. Everyone seems to think this is a reference to Cinderella, but I can't find a version that ends that way...

It's completely made up. It's an homage to those type of stories, but it isn't based on any particular one.

Jack
04-21-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not sure what to make of this book; I'm not unhappy that I put down the $20 for it, but on the other hand, it really wasn't necessary for the series. I suppose it works as an introductory book to the " Fableverse ", but nothing in it was particularly illuminating, or at least something that couldn't have been covered in the main series. Even the really good stuff like Bigby and Flycatcher's backstories don't seem particularly relevant.

Well written, beautifully drawn, but ultimately filler. :(
Heh. Amusing.

snarkbunny
04-21-2007, 04:18 PM
It does seem like the information revealed in 1001 Nights is more relevant than it may have appeared at first reading...