PDA

View Full Version : Best Battles of the DCU

Constantine Drakon
10-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Curious as to what poeple's favorite battles are in DC comics. Asking the Marvel people, I heard Infinity Gauntlet an insane number of times. I'm wondering if there's any similar thing in DC that sticks out in people's memories.

It can be your favorites because so much was on the line, or you thought the way the fight was resolved was clever, or you were shocked at what happened, or you just thought it was a "bad ass" fight.

I think writing and drawing good fight scenes in comics are skills that aren't given as much respect as they deserve.

Jack Zodiac
10-15-2006, 12:36 AM
Earth versus Mageddon.

Kyle Rayner versus Alexander Nero (the second time).

Gaspard
10-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Two big ones were Captain Marvel and Superman from Kingdom Come and Batman fighting Superman in Dark Knight Returns.

marshal99
10-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Way before Kingdom Come , there's Superman vs Shazam! giant sized comic which is finally a real knock down drag out fight between the 2 superheroes with one winner left standing in the end.

http://www.supermantv.net/wallpaperbattles/shazam/AllNew_small.jpg

Superman vs the Elite in Action 775 - probably Joe Kelly's finest story ever since all his other works have been mediocre.

Superman vs Muhammed Ali (For the sheer historical matchup plus superman getting hammered by Ali in boxing :D)
http://www.techknight.com/albums/ali/aat.jpg

Damo
10-15-2006, 10:22 AM
As much as some fans moan about "decompression", Western comics will still cut a fight scene ridiculously short. You can have issues of buildup, and the "payoff" be squeezed in at the end. I'd love to see some writers willing to stretch out a good fight over a couple of issues.

I don't think DC has ever matched, or even come close, to the Infinity Gauntlet in terms of battles. Gauntlet had a great cast of heroes up against impossible odds, clever strategies and twists, everything on the line, and some fantastic character moments.

Infinity Crisis' Battle for Metropolis was set up to top Gauntlet, but after Gail Simone did a fantastic job of putting the pieces in place we had a few rushed glances at the result while the focus was on Superboy Prime annoying the hell out of everyone. Boo-urns.

So best DC fights?

O'Neil's showdown between Batman and R'as al Ghul. Incredibly Denny topped it when he wrote the R'as episodes of the Batman animated Series. Two shirtless swordsmen, but so perfect, so classic.

Hal Jordan vs. the Corps in Emerald Twillight. Wasn't crazy about what was being done with Hal, but that was a heck of a fight.

ALL the heroes of Earth vs the Aliens at the end of JLA: Year One. That this series is no longer canon is criminal. For the Blackhawk scenes alone it should be enshrined!

"Hayoth" (Israeli military superteam) vs. Jihad (superpowered terrorists) vs. The Justice League vs. Suicide Squad. The whole thing was great, but I love that moment when the lights go on and everyone sees everyone else.

The final battle in Kingdom Come.

Connor Hawke vs. Constantine Drakon, Green Arrow. Judd Winnick actually did that one GOOOOD. It's the perfect modern example of one completely human hero taking out a human villain that's more dangerous, by using his head and being willing to "get a little crazy".

"The Injustice Society of the World". I weep that this is so forgotten. Six of the Justice Society's greatest foes at the head of an army, dismantling the heroes.

For sheer "fangasm" Gail Simone's battle between the Twelve Brothers in Silk (twelve martial artists, each almost as good as Lady Shiva) vs. Black Canary, Wildcat, Connor Hawke, Huntress, and Richard Dragon. Wowzers. That's how it's done folks. Everything and the kitchen sink.

Like the man said, Ali vs. Superman. Pure fun.

Oh, and Guy Gardner vs. Batman. Perfect in its simplicity.

marshal99
10-15-2006, 10:36 AM
I don't think DC has ever matched, or even come close, to the Infinity Gauntlet in terms of battles. Gauntlet had a great cast of heroes up against impossible odds, clever strategies and twists, everything on the line, and some fantastic character moments.

Infinity Gauntlet is somewhat over-rated to be honest , if you want to talk about epic battles , COIE is the one that will never ever be topped.
That one , at that time , was on a scale that nobody else has done or will ever do again.

Damo
10-15-2006, 10:47 AM
Infinity Gauntlet is somewhat over-rated to be honest , if you want to talk about epic battles , COIE is the one that will never ever be topped.
That one , at that time , was on a scale that nobody else has done or will ever do again.

I disagree. As an event, and in terms of the effects it had, COIE has never been topped in mainstream, and probably never will be. That said, I thought the battles in it were pretty rushed and lacking in OOmph. Supergirl vs. the Antimonitor was well done, and maybe I should have included it, but it lacked things like Captain America standing up to Thanos as Earth's last hero, only to prove to be a distraction for the real attack.

LordEd1976
10-15-2006, 01:11 PM
Superman vs Mongul in Alan Moore's "For the Man who has Everything."

The Gulag battle in Kingdom Come.

Dyna Man vs the Golden Age heroes in Golden Age.

The Freedom Fighters massacre at the hands of the Society in Infinite Crisis.

the Supermen vs Superboy-Prime in Infinite Crisis.

The Legion of Superheroes and the Fatal Five vs the Sun-Eater

The Legion of Superheroes and every other hero of the 30th century vs Darkseid and the entire enslaved population of Daxam in Great Darkness Saga.

The JLA vs the Hyperclan in the first storyarc of the Morrison JLA

The JSA invade Khandaq in Black Reign.

Apathy Boy
10-15-2006, 02:58 PM
THE GOLDEN AGE's battle between the All-Star Squadron and Dynaman and his cronies is the best fight in comics history, period. Lots of punch-'em action and dozens of characters get some great scenes.

I still get shivers when I think about Carter Hall's big moment:
[Close-up on a pile of bodies]
"Dynaman's fists had hurt him. But he had been hurt worse before. In Egypt. Ancient Egypt. Where he was a king."
[Hawkman crawls out of pile of bodies, looking pissed as hell]

And Alan Scott's money line:
"Hey, villain. You are history."

dancj
10-16-2006, 05:05 AM
As much as some fans moan about "decompression", Western comics will still cut a fight scene ridiculously short. You can have issues of buildup, and the "payoff" be squeezed in at the end. I'd love to see some writers willing to stretch out a good fight over a couple of issues.

Seek out Walt Simonson's Orion series. He devoted a whole issue to a fight between Orian and Darkseid. I think it had one line of dialogue and that was in the final panel

Dan

Damo
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
I'll have to look that up. I'm not sure "lack of dialogue" is what I'm going for though - more the extended but still complex fights you see in things like (well done) Japanese manga or some indy books (Usagi Yojimbo).

I'd forgotten Great Darkness Saga though, that was one of DC's best.

(But Superman vs. The Elite? BLECH. Superman vs a "Straw man" version of the authority, The Authority as seen by Superman fans that have never actually read the book, or at least don't understand it. Felt like the worst type of fanfic)

marshal99
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
The JLA/JSA against Despero & Johnny Sorrow (JLA/JSA : Vice and Virtue)
http://www.the-sentinel.supanet.com/SentinelAndGreenLanternWithPrisoner.jpg

The JSA vs Mordru during the prince of darkness saga
http://www.the-sentinel.supanet.com/Sentinel_JSA_charge_Kirk.jpg

Scott Taylor
10-16-2006, 09:59 PM
Superman vs Mongul in Alan Moore's "For the Man who has Everything."

That was the first one I thought about, but then it wasn't really much of a fight so much as just a really good story with some great lines. "Think clean thoughts, chum." *chuckle*

The Legion of Superheroes and every other hero of the 30th century vs Darkseid and the entire enslaved population of Daxam in Great Darkness Saga.

This is the other one I thought about. In my mind it topped anything in Crisis on Infinite Earths or Infinite Crisis.

JoeCool
10-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Good one with the JSA. That fight was CLASSIC!!!

I loved the fight at the end of Infinite Crisis though I had some issues with it earlier on.

Like when the Flashes put Superboy in the the prison and they were hurting him with Punches (btw -- this has ALWAYS been a huge issue I believe in DC more than Marvel).

I mean gimme a freaking break. THe flashes are tough but Superboy is tougher than steel. If the flashes punched him with a superfast punch, Speed force or not they are breaking every bone in their freaking hand and most likely in their arm.

DC, as I stated, is notorious for this though.

Marvel does it too, some of the worst jobbings in history have been in marvel comics. But I just feel that at least in physical strength department they have more of a handle on it than dc. I have seen dc comics where the flash or even Wildcat will stun or even outright knock out an opponent who has been shown to be near the physical class of say superman or captain marvel.

dancj
10-17-2006, 05:02 AM
"Think clean thoughts, chum."

That's one of my all time favourite lines

Zenith23
10-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Bats knocking the snot out of Superman in Dark Knight Returns # 4

Gozwald73
10-17-2006, 06:26 AM
Wow there has been some great submissions in this thread. I would have to add the Maxamillion G'odd orchestrated attack on L.E.G.I.O.N. was very well done - went on for 3 or 4 issues with almost non-stop action. Even the non-powered members had to fight for their lives. My heart beat frantically with each panel, pure magnificance.
:)
The L.E.G.I.O.N. Armageddon 2001 Annual was ultra fantastic too - it's THE book that got me back into comics all those years ago.

Carter Hall
10-17-2006, 06:39 AM
I know no one is going to agree with me on this, but nonetheless...

I gotta go with Superman vs. Doomsday the first time around. Just awesome.

Also noteworthy are:

- Hal Jordan vs. Sinestro in Emerald Twilight

- Batman vs. Superman in Hush

- Earth-1 Superman and Earth-2 Superman vs. Superboy Prime

- Hawkman vs. Golden Eagle in Hawkman vol. 3 #45

- Any of the huge fights in the original Crisis

I'll probably think of a few more after I post this, too...

ouiyahtsiouiyah
10-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Batman Vs Gendel (Hunter Rose)
Batman vs Grendel Prime
Batman vs Bizzarro- Trinity
Batman vs AzBats
Batman vs Deathstroke part 1 and 2,
Batman vs Zeiss (all 3 fights)
Batman vs Promethius
Batman vs Feast (JLA:Welcome to the working week)

Wonder Woman vs Medusa
Wonder Woman vs Superman (WW219)

Batgirl vs Shiva 1 and 2
Batman vs Batgirl
Batgirl vs Shadow Theif
Batgirl vs Ravager

Connor Hawke vs Lady Shiva

more as I think of them

Bored at 3:00AM
10-17-2006, 11:53 AM
THE GOLDEN AGE's battle between the All-Star Squadron and Dynaman and his cronies is the best fight in comics history, period. Lots of punch-'em action and dozens of characters get some great scenes.

I still get shivers when I think about Carter Hall's big moment:
[Close-up on a pile of bodies]
"Dynaman's fists had hurt him. But he had been hurt worse before. In Egypt. Ancient Egypt. Where he was a king."
[Hawkman crawls out of pile of bodies, looking pissed as hell]

And Alan Scott's money line:
"Hey, villain. You are history."

I second this.

To me, given Dynaman's identity, this is the Justice Society and All-Star Squadron's greatest battle and their finest hour. This tops even their Ragnorok stuff.

The big war against The Centre with the combined armies of the USAF, the Challengers of the Unknown, the Blackhawks, Green Arrow's Arrowplane and Hal Jordan's Flying Saucer was kick ass. And, of course, it's all down to The Flash.

The Secret Society Global Jailbreak can't really be beaten for sheer scope.

Although the giant GLCorps War against Krona & Nekron's Armies of the Undead was damn cool.

comicstar100
10-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I always liked the battles in crisis times five. Triumph fighting superman rocked "I have powers you don't even have names for". That and the part where batman knocks out Ray with a blackout bomb.:cool:

Nintendite
10-17-2006, 12:47 PM
The big war against The Centre with the combined armies of the USAF, the Challengers of the Unknown, the Blackhawks, Green Arrow's Arrowplane and Hal Jordan's Flying Saucer was kick ass. And, of course, it's all down to The Flash.

Hell Yeah! That was definitely one of the most cinematically awesome fights ever. I so hope that the "New Frontier" direct-to-dvd has the battle in all it's glory. One of the main obstacles to the medium of comics is, obviously, the pictures don't move, which makes many truly epic battles (like those seen in cartoons, anime and big budget Hollywood movies) not nearly as breathtakingly awesome as they could be. I mean, consider how freakishly cool it could be to see the fight from "New Frontier" in full motion....

I also really dig Superman v. Captain Marvel from Kingdom Come, but, of course, who doesn't?

And the cross-country fight from Death of Superman also is cool.

Shem the Penman
10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Can I put in a vote for the first fight between the Doom Patrol and the Brotherhood of Dada? The DP was still, more or less, part of the DCU at that point...

Cassius6303
10-17-2006, 02:43 PM
Supes vs. Doomsday was quite good (not including the rest of the story).

Booster vs. the Royal Flush Gang (This one always stuck with me for some reason).

One punch! One Punch!

And then there's the DCAU Darkseid/Superman fight in JL Season 2, "Twilight. That fight gave me goosebumps.

Jamie