PDA

View Full Version : So a Starbucks coffee is $1.61 now...

Pinball
10-12-2006, 03:41 PM
...which means i've had to change my sig.

Of course, all the other Starbucks stuff is going up too, so those of you who are addicted to macciattos and such will be affected. How are you coping so far?

Lester C.
10-12-2006, 03:45 PM
...which means I've had to change my sig.

Of course, all the other Starbucks stuff is going up too, so those of you who are addicted to macciattos and such will be affected. How are you coping so far?
I think you might be misinformed or maybe I am. I read an article that Starbucks is increasing all of it's prices by a nickel with further increases phased in over the next two years. If this keeps up Heystacy is going to have to restort to mugging library students using a giant chocolate flavored briskest in a bid to continue to support his sick latte habit.

sk716
10-12-2006, 04:04 PM
Uh uh, he'll put a little sign on the desk that will read:

Will research for Lattes.

hellokittykat
10-12-2006, 04:09 PM
Go to Dunkin Donuts.
The coffee is cheaper and it tastes better anyway.

Grazzt
10-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Go to Tim Hortons.
The coffee is cheaper and it tastes better anyway.

Editted for Canadians.

heystacy
10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
I think you might be misinformed or maybe I am. I read an article that Starbucks is increasing all of it's prices by a nickel with further increases phased in over the next two years. If this keeps up Heystacy is going to have to restort to mugging library students using a giant chocolate flavored briskest in a bid to continue to support his sick latte habit.

The students have mugged me!!!! Darn Starbucks is hooking them younger and younger.

Grazzt
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
The students have mugged me!!!! Darn Starbucks is hooking them younger and younger.

Great, now I have the mental image of a two year old with a Starbucks sippy cup.

heystacy
10-12-2006, 04:25 PM
Uh uh, he'll put a little sign on the desk that will read:

Will research for Lattes.

That's the right idea!!!;)

heystacy
10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
Great, now I have the mental image of a two year old with a Starbucks sippy cup.

Like Borg babies? ;)

Lester C.
10-12-2006, 05:01 PM
If it makes you feel better they are collage students or as Heystacy referes to them jailbait.

Cam63
10-12-2006, 05:03 PM
I take my own expresso machine and coffee to cafes just to test how accomodating the management is.

Lester C.
10-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I take my own expresso machine and coffee to cafes just to test how accomodating the management is.
That's like bringing a case of beer into a bar. The establisment that doesn't kick you out, has got to be the coolest establisment on earth.

heystacy
10-12-2006, 05:35 PM
If it makes you feel better they are collage students or as Heystacy referes to them jailbait.

I prefer all my dates be on the legal side of the law and not qualify for an episode of SVU. :(

JuggernautRM
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
You know how i deal with this? Buy going to coffee bean.

Sharpandpointies
10-12-2006, 06:21 PM
Editted for Canadians.

Thank you, sir.

Starbucks coffee always tastes burnt to me. I don't drink anything from there. Now, Zavida coffee...

Alex L
10-12-2006, 08:39 PM

I used to be a certified coffee monkey.

I've seen it. :(

Weetomuncher
10-13-2006, 04:49 AM
I paid over three pounds for the last coffee I had in Starbucks.

It was one of those cold ones with chocolate flavouring and whipped cream.

It was Venti sized too.

The Mirrorball Man
10-13-2006, 04:58 AM
Here in Switzerland, you can't get a coffee for less than 2.3 dollars, and it usually costs 2.7 dollars.

thehod
10-13-2006, 05:09 AM
I paid over three pounds for the last coffee I had in Starbucks.

It was one of those cold ones with chocolate flavouring and whipped cream.

It was Venti sized too.

Jesus!!

3 quid. You could buy a ton of the instant stuff from some of the cheaper supermarkets. Granted it tastes like mud, but you could live in the tin it came in.

the4thpip
10-13-2006, 05:25 AM
I'm off to brew some green tea...

Typo Lad
10-13-2006, 05:36 AM

That'd be my kid, hooked on decaff lattes since 2.

It's like I'm living with Loreli and Rory Gilmore.

hellokittykat
10-13-2006, 05:51 AM
I couldn't get to sleep last night and had to get up early this morning.
Coffee is my best friend on days like this.:)

Lunar Daydreamer
10-13-2006, 07:46 AM
I bring my own Nescafe Alta Rica to work.. but at Starbies make mine a Venti Cafe Latte with irish cream syrup and an extra shot..woo and one of those mad Rocky Road cakes if you're buying fyankoopweaz! ^_^

Pinball
10-13-2006, 02:34 PM
That's like bringing a case of beer into a bar. The establisment that doesn't kick you out, has got to be the coolest establisment on earth.
Then my town has the coolest establishment on earth.
My homebrew club named this pub our "designated home pub", and they let us do a taste test seminar with our beers.

I dunno, everybody says Starbucks has the worst coffee on the face of the earth*, worse than Mel's even, but everybody's in love with their macciattos and such ... which are made from "the worst coffee on the face of the earth." Surely if another place also made macciattos, but didn't use "the worst coffee on the face of the earth", they'd be up there with Starbucks?

Which means it must be all that other stuff Starbucks puts in their macciattos that puts them ahead of the pack, and the quality of the coffee just wouldn't matter. Kinda like cooking with light beer, i suppose.

*...which i know is just not true. I've had worse.

estee
10-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Tim Horton's coffee sucks. Pure gut-rot. But considering that there is a shop every two klicks in my hometown and its cheap, I drink it.

I prefer Second Cup...sorta the Canadian equivalent of Starbucks...but their coffee cost $1.65 too.

Alex L
10-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Then my town has the coolest establishment on earth.
My homebrew club named this pub our "designated home pub", and they let us do a taste test seminar with our beers.

I dunno, everybody says Starbucks has the worst coffee on the face of the earth*, worse than Mel's even, but everybody's in love with their macciattos and such ... which are made from "the worst coffee on the face of the earth." Surely if another place also made macciattos, but didn't use "the worst coffee on the face of the earth", they'd be up there with Starbucks?

Which means it must be all that other stuff Starbucks puts in their macciattos that puts them ahead of the pack, and the quality of the coffee just wouldn't matter. Kinda like cooking with light beer, i suppose.

*...which i know is just not true. I've had worse.

We put heroin in the coffee. :D

No, what you are probably talking about is a caramel macchiato, which is very different from a regular macchiato you'd get at any other coffee shop, anywhere.

A regular macchiato (called an espresso macchiato in Starbucksland) is a shot of espresso with a scoop of foam. Very small, goes down quick, still has a lot of the coffee taste to it.

The Starbucks version, the caramel macchiato, is a vanilla latte with caramel on top. Much bigger, overly sweetened with vanilla and caramel. It's what people who want the caffeine but as little bitterness as possible go for.

Jack Zodiac
10-13-2006, 08:35 PM
$1.61? Ours are only $1.55 for a tall coffee. Are you buying it from licensed stores, 'cause they set their own prices, so they could've chucked a bit more onto that nickel corporate decided to tack on.

Y'wanna' know why we did it? We know we can. We raised our prices a dime two years ago and business didn't even blink. If anything, we've seen more and more business over the past two years. The drinks are already so fuckin' expensive, people will only verbally complain about it being raised a nickel for a little while and then get used to paying $3.05 for their tall caramel macchiatto instead of $2.95. If they raise it again, another nickel, a year from now, it'll be exactly the same. People will bitch, but they'll just keep right on paying for it.

And the reason our coffee always tastes burnt is because our brewers suck ass. Also, not a whole lot of people keep them as clean as they should be, so you get this nasty fucking brewer that wasn't built right in the first place steeping old coffee in your new coffee. Maybe after a year of charging an extra nickel for all our drinks we'll get some better equipment, since we've completely phased out our sweet old La Marzoccas for the new Verisimo machines, which pissed people off even more than the price raise two years back.

Justin Carr
10-13-2006, 11:32 PM
If this keeps up Heystacy is going to have to restort to mugging library students using a giant chocolate flavored briskest in a bid to continue to support his sick latte habit.

Personally, I'm just want to know why the students are attacking people with slices of beef flavored with chocolate. Just something to ponder while I munch on my biscotti.

Lester C.
10-14-2006, 04:58 AM
Personally, I'm just want to know why the students are attacking people with slices of beef flavored with chocolate. Just something to ponder while I munch on my biscotti.
Then what is that chocolate stick called they sell at Starbucks? I haven't been there since 90s so I'm out of the loop.

Sharpandpointies
10-14-2006, 06:01 AM
Tim Horton's coffee sucks. Pure gut-rot. But considering that there is a shop every two klicks in my hometown and its cheap, I drink it.

As you say, it's ubiquitous. :)

However, they still haven't figured out soy milk, so I can't even stop there for a coffee.

I prefer Second Cup...sorta the Canadian equivalent of Starbucks...but their coffee cost $1.65 too.

Try Zavida, if you have one around you. The ones in Ottawa are fantastic. Great coffee.

Lester C.
10-14-2006, 06:55 AM
Poor Canadians. Before CBR whenever I read the discrepancy in price between what American and Canadians pay on games, magazines, comics etc I'd laugh. Now I think of the many wonder Canadians we have here on CBR and I wince. On the plus side you never have to worry about your education and medical costs so I know it balances out, but still you guys get !@#$%^ at the cash register for all of your purchases.

Sharpandpointies
10-14-2006, 07:07 AM
Poor Canadians. Before CBR whenever I read the discrepancy in price between what American and Canadians pay on games, magazines, comics etc I'd laugh. Now I think of the many wonder Canadians we have here on CBR and I wince. On the plus side you never have to worry about your education and medical costs so I know it balances out, but still you guys get !@#$%^ at the cash register for all of your purchases.

Truth.

Don't be so quick to applaud our medical, though. We may get it for free, but in the last few years the quality has dropped. Alarmingly.

Alarmingly, as in 'I'd rather pay for this than watch more of my relatives die because they had to wait too long for treatment'.

Lester C.
10-14-2006, 07:12 AM
Truth.

Don't be so quick to applaud our medical, though. We may get it for free, but in the last few years the quality has dropped. Alarmingly.

Alarmingly, as in 'I'd rather pay for this than watch more of my relatives die because they had to wait too long for treatment'.
I didn't know. I'm sorry you had to lose family members for causes that could have been treated had they not been in Canada. I pray that everthing rights itself soon.

Sharpandpointies
10-14-2006, 08:44 AM
I didn't know. I'm sorry you had to lose family members for causes that could have been treated had they not been in Canada. I pray that everthing rights itself soon.

No worries about not knowing. Up until recently, Canada's HC system looked good.

My grandmother's cancer was pretty much untreatable by the time they actually FOUND it and made up their mind to treat it. Truth be told, it was the making up the mind and waiting for treatment part.

Then the same thing happened to my father-in-law.

There are other stories. Pretty much everyone I know has a story like that these days, either to them or to someone in their family. We used to have a fantastic health-care system. Now...not so much.