10-11-2006, 09:52 PM
Contains:

Stormwatch: P.H.D preview
Bare-bones write-ups of teams and characters
Editorial by Jim Lee
Tranquility preview

Stormwatch:P.H.D

What Happened

Jackson King, Director of Stormwatch, reminises about the history of Stormwatch and talks about the people he recruited for Stormwatch's Post Human Division.

Thoughts

Honestly, not bad, not bad at all. I enjoyed the writing and the characters. The characters are centainly a curious bunch with their share of interesting personality traits and quarks. I especially liked Black Betty, who seems to have a Dark Angel Hipster thing going, fashion-wise. I also like how the wiritng tied all the recruits with Jackson's recollection of history of Stormwatch and it's gradual fall from grace. On a rather bizzare note, Fahreinheit is revealed to be in coma. Although the xenoform attack that ended original Stormwatch is alluded to, her being, well, alive, is left unexplained. I have faith in Cage, so I'll wait to see how it will play out.

Trivia

Sometime after Authority's reign over America ended, Jackson was approached by US government to restart Stormwatch to ensure that, if this sort of thing is to happen again, American government will be protected.
Jeremiah Cain, Black Betty's partner/mentor, is one of the most powerful sorcerers in the world. He was asked to join Stormwatch during the late 90s (he declined)
Overall, Monarchy continuity is disregarded. Everything else (save for the odd apperance of Farhrenheit) remains the same as before Captain Atom: Armaggeddon

Write-Ups

What happened

Barebone, incredibly general descriptions of teams and somewhat more detailed descriptions of solo characters. Accomponied by the art that shows the team/character.

Thoughts

Basically, this is a way to bring newbies up to speed on the basic premise of all upcoming Worldstorm relaunch titles. Tranquility gets the most detailed description of them all, oddly enough. Wildcats description seems almost a decade out of date, which is not encouraging. Still, I like the costume designs Dustin Nguven (spelled "Ngaiven" here for some reason) did for the accomponing illustration - a curious combination of old and the new, with most of the costumes harkening back to Wildcat 2.0 incarnation. Whether of not these costumes will actually be used in the series is still left in the open. Wetworks summary also harkens back to the original run, but the team depicted in accomponing artwork is the newest incarnation. Gen13 write-up doesn't reveal anything we didn't learn in the first issue of the most recent series. Oddly enough, the original nicknames seemed to be retained here. Authority description is generic and works with the most recent history. There is no mention of Coup D'Etat. The artwork reflects the most recent line-up, except, IMNSHO, the Doctor doesn't really look Palestenian. Jenny Quantum, on the other hand, has never looked more Asian. Speaking of Jenny, she is inexplicably called "Jenny Quarx" here. I have no idea what to make of it. Deathblow write-up is written in the form of a memo between government officials, giving us the rundown of Deathblow's history. According to the writer of memo, Deathblow is still believed to be dead, though the said writer wants to take special precautions in case Deathblow turns out to be alive. For some reason, all references to real names of all parties involved are blacked out. Overall, Deathblow's history seems virtually identical to pre-reboot. Midnighter gets a fairly rudomentary profile. Finally, Stormwatch P.H.D describes the premise of the series, with quick write-ups of the members. Curiously, Farehnheit is listed as alive, but powerless. She is also listed as a former Stormwatch Prime member (Okay... :rolleyes: )

Overall, mostly basic information, enough to get new readers up to speed. I recommend that part to anyone who wants to check out Wildstorm and is unsure which title to pick up. To us old-time Wildstorm fans, the write-ups offer much room for speculation and trepadation.

Trivia

Tranquility was originally founded by World-War-II-era superheroes as a place to escape pressures of publicity and fame. It evolved into a retirement home somewhere along the way.

Jim Lee's Editorial

What Happened

Jim Lee talks about Deathblow, his love for the character and how reader demand ultimately persuaded him to bring Deathblow back. He then talks about the creative team, praising both the writer and the artist.

Thoughts

Personally, I call bull on "reader demand." It's no secret that Jim Lee loved the character and wanted to bring him back somehow. As for reader demand, if Wildstorm boards, as well as this forum and Clark's Bar forum are anything to go by, there were as many people who wanted him to return as there were people who wanted him to stay dead, because this was what made WSU special (I count myself in the second group, btw). Whatever the reason, it's too late to complain now. We'll just have to wait and see the finished product.

Tranquility

What Happened

A group of aged superheroes met at an eatery owned by former superhero known as Pink Bunny. The group reminises about the adventures they had when they were young while Pink Bunny listens warily. In the end, she leaves while others continue to reminiss,

Thoughts

Cute and entertaining. I liked the flashback to the relationship between Judge Fury and Pink Bunny. The retro-esque story had it's charm. Speaking of relationships, it was great how the retro plot was contrasted with the two above-mentioned characters having sex and dealing with a possibility of a potential love triangle. Ultimately, though, the preview is nearly enough to judge whether the title will actully be good. Ultimately, it just seems so... ordinary. Enterntaining, but ordinary.

Trivia

Flashback scenes are drawn in colors and art style that evokes Golden/Silver age comics. The flashback pages were made took torn and partually water-damaged. The more personal, "non-PG" moments in the flashback were drawn in the same style as the rest of the book.

Overall thoughts: An interesting little sampler with a bunch of information. But, in the end of the day, I thought Coup D'Etat: Afterword, which had a simular format, pulled it off just a bit better.

christosgage
10-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Hey, glad you liked the Stormwatch preview. Just to clarify:

Fahrenheit is in a coma due to injuries sustained in a battle shown in Stormwatch: PHD #1. It has nothing to do with Wildcats/Aliens. She was believed dead after that but returned at some point...this will be addressed in Stormwatch: PHD #5. And Stormwatch Prime is the current name for the main superhuman crisis response team, as opposed to PHD and other subdivisions of the larger Stormwatch organization.

More about the circumstances in which Jackson King reformed Stormwatch will be revealed in the aforementioned #5.

Monarchy is, in fact, no longer in continuity. I'm taking the position that it occurred on a parallel world.

Best,

CNG

DaveEB
10-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Personally, I call bull on "reader demand." It's no secret that Jim Lee loved the character and wanted to bring him back somehow. As for reader demand, if Wildstorm boards, as well as this forum and Clark's Bar forum are anything to go by, there were as many people who wanted him to return as there were people who wanted him to stay dead, because this was what made WSU special (I count myself in the second group, btw). Whatever the reason, it's too late to complain now. We'll just have to wait and see the finished product.

The message boards do not make up the entire readership OR the entire fanbase. He might be going on "face to face" meetings with readers...all those people lined up at his signings...the majority of those are bound to comment: "I liked your Deathblow work" and "what ever happened to Deathblow" in passing. I've heard this myself when talking to people about Jim Lee's work.

Chris Thomas
10-12-2006, 07:13 AM
1. I think the worldstorm preview was quite interesting and the stormwatch has already been added to my pull-list. It appears quite intriguing--sort of a ellis stormwatch mixed with the last stormwatch incarnation. looking good.

2. the tranquility stuff looks amazing.

I HOPE the wetworks picks up or at least becomes more clear. one time where a comic would benefit from 'dumbing down.'

I though the gen 13 issue one was good--but that is not what several others thought.

aelio
10-12-2006, 07:17 AM
Monarchy is, in fact, no longer in continuity. I'm taking the position that it occurred on a parallel world.

Best,

CNG

Who told you this? Jim Lee, Dunbier, Doselle?:) Seriously, I hadn't heard that Monarchy was officially ooc, but I have to say that I am a little pleased. It was a really great little story, but it works best as having occurred on a parallel world in the Bleed, so I like the approach you are taking. However, what does that mean for The Authority #24 (I think it is #24)when Jackson decides to form the Monarchy while at a Carrier party? That could be in a parallel world as well, but I really like preserving the row that he and Jack have; it really encapsulated Authority/Stormwatch future.

That may be a ridiculous question, and you likely don't want to go into that, so I'll just end by saying:
1. I'm excited about what you can do with Stormwatch and can't wait to read the issues.
2. Be nice to Lauren Pennington; she's a great character.
3. Thanks for taking the time to talk with us.

Strannik,
Thanks for the review, I am probably going to pick Worldstorm up today.

Strannik
10-12-2006, 07:18 AM
The message boards do not make up the entire readership OR the entire fanbase. He might be going on "face to face" meetings with readers...all those people lined up at his signings...the majority of those are bound to comment: "I liked your Deathblow work" and "what ever happened to Deathblow" in passing. I've heard this myself when talking to people about Jim Lee's work.

Fair enough. What I said was, first and foremost, an opinion, not a speculation (though it may have come off as such). I can certainly be wrong.

Fahrenheit is in a coma due to injuries sustained in a battle shown in Stormwatch: PHD #1. It has nothing to do with Wildcats/Aliens. She was believed dead after that but returned at some point...this will be addressed in Stormwatch: PHD #5. And Stormwatch Prime is the current name for the main superhuman crisis response team, as opposed to PHD and other subdivisions of the larger Stormwatch organization.

More about the circumstances in which Jackson King reformed Stormwatch will be revealed in the aforementioned #5.

Best,

CNG

Thank you for the clarifications. I will wait for Issue 5 with anticipation.

BTW, I am sorry I misspelled your last name in the original post.

DaveEB
10-12-2006, 09:55 AM
Fair enough. What I said was, first and foremost, an opinion, not a speculation (though it may have come off as such). I can certainly be wrong.

I can't claim to speak for Jim or any of the fanbase outside of myself and other people I've talked to, but yeah...it seems like he's not totally going by the internet fanbase when making that statement...which really if you think about isn't that stupid of a move. People on the internet can sometimes misrepresent what the general fanbase might want to see.

I personally have always held the opinion that the character was never dead.

Stellar
10-12-2006, 10:12 AM
what's a Gim Lee?

one of the reasons i liked WSU so much was that anybody dead, STAYS dead. this seems to be changing with Fuji, Fahrenheit and King coming back, to name a few.
and Deathblow. good old Deathblow.
it'll be nice to have him back, but again, it kind of messes with the dead STAY dead thing

hex111
10-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Best,

CNG

Christos,

Hey brother... I definately dig the whole PHD concept... it works... and I've liked everything I've heard so far... except for the whole Monarchy thing..

I won't repeat what I've said in the past (beating a dead horse and all), but I still firmly believe that you can do PHD... AND keep the Monarchy IN continuity... especially with how powerful Jackson was at the end of that series... I've thrown out a few story ideas that could be done to explain the whole Monarchy concept no long being the status quo and bringing Jackson and crew back down to pre-Monarchy power levels...

the only reason that I object to taking the Monarchy out of continuity is because it really takes away something from the mythos that could definately be exploited by another writer (or yourself) at some point down the line...

although since you want to ignore it for continuity sake, I can totally accept that... can you just do me a favor? can you not state anywhere inside the actual PHD comic that the Monarchy never happened... can you just simply ignore it? cause honestly, I'd really love someone to be able to come back and write a story that involves how and why the Monarchy came back down in power level, no longer exists, and doesn't remember their time as the Monarchy... because, if you don't don't make the statement anywhere inside the actual comic that the Monarchy happened in another Bleed reality, another writer could (hypothetically) come along and write that final Monarchy story, keep the whole thing inside continuity, AND not contradict the post-WorldStorm continuity...

thanks brother... and keep up the good work... really digging your Union Jack as well as the PHD preview!

christosgage
10-12-2006, 11:48 AM
OK Hex, you got it...it shall never be explicitly stated in the pages of the comic that Monarchy never happened. (I don't think we're doing a letters page, but if we do I may mention it there.)

Removing Monarchy from continuity was my decision, approved by WS editorial. The reason for not trying to undo it with an explanation is because I felt that would just be too needlessly convoluted for new readers (or anyone who didn't read Monarchy) to follow.

aelio, the Carrier party mostly still happened but Christine and Jackson just went home and later got married and that's it. And I love Lauren too, but hey, I was nice enough to resurrect her, so I reserve the right to put her through some tough times! :evilsmile

Strannik, don't worry, lots of people misspell my name. People want me to be related to Nicolas Cage, I guess!

Thanks to all of you for your support. Talk to you soon!

CNG

hex111
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
OK Hex, you got it...it shall never be explicitly stated in the pages of the comic that Monarchy never happened. (I don't think we're doing a letters page, but if we do I may mention it there.)

Removing Monarchy from continuity was my decision, approved by WS editorial. The reason for not trying to undo it with an explanation is because I felt that would just be too needlessly convoluted for new readers (or anyone who didn't read Monarchy) to follow.

Oh, trust me... I understand... but at the same time... MAYBE eventually editorial would support someone coming in and writing a Monarchy story... along the lines of the Deadly Genesis series that Bru did over at Marvel... not really a retcon (because you're not actually changing what happened, just adding to it), but something for the long time fans and maybe something that would lead into another storyline in the PHD title...

but thanks... that's all that I could ask for... you're going to make a lot more friends of us semi-continuity obsessed WSU fans by not stating that it didn't happen :D and hell... most of us were already on board for PHD from the announcement...

Strannik
10-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Oh, trust me... I understand... but at the same time... MAYBE eventually editorial would support someone coming in and writing a Monarchy story... along the lines of the Deadly Genesis series that Bru did over at Marvel... not really a retcon (because you're not actually changing what happened, just adding to it), but something for the long time fans and maybe something that would lead into another storyline in the PHD title...

but thanks... that's all that I could ask for... you're going to make a lot more friends of us semi-continuity obsessed WSU fans by not stating that it didn't happen :D and hell... most of us were already on board for PHD from the announcement...

I undestand your point, Hex. I have to point that even if Jackson and Christine Trelane never joined Monarchy, there is no reason why some other writer couldn't bring in the characters and aspects of the original series back into WSU. I mean, DC killed Supergirl. Yet how many times did she show up again anyway? ;)