PDA

View Full Version : Spidey Re-masked: If it happens, how do you think it'll happen?

Crash-Man
10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
I'll preface this thread by saying that I don't necessarily want Spider-Man's outing to be reversed. It presents a lot of great story opportunities and answers to questions that fans have had for decades, so once it's used well, I'm okay with this current status quo.

That said, we know how things happen in the world of comics.;)

It's only a matter of time till Spider-Man's identity becomes private again, so let's speculate and how (and if you'd like, when) it will take place.

Reality-altering retcon? Omega-level telepathy? Cosmic event? "Other"-related totemic influence? Old-school-style "It wasn't actually me" diversionary tactic? The whole world explodes and Spidey gets transplanted into a new one?

What do you think will happen? And when?

(On a side note, please take the "It's a good thing/It's a bad thing" debate elsewhere.)

Mister Mets
10-09-2006, 01:02 PM
I want the Unmasking to be reversed, and I believe it's meant to be reversed soon.

My theory for how it will happen.
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=3698717&postcount=25

Chris S.
10-09-2006, 01:27 PM
I want the Unmasking to be reversed, and I believe it's meant to be reversed soon.

My theory for how it will happen.
http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showpost.php?p=3698717&postcount=25
There it is again

Mister Mets
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
My post is in the "Reality Warping Retcon."

Various Clues that joe Q/ JMS/ Millar are planning something big....

1. Joe Queseda wants a single Spider-Man.
2. He does not want Mary Jane to die.
3. He does not want Mary Jane/ Spider-Man to divorce.
4. He is well aware we all love Peter Parker, and wouldn't want anyone else under the Spider-Man mask.
5. He suggested to Mark Millar that Spider-Man should unmask in Civil War.
6. Mark Millar is not a fan of big events (ie-deaths) unless they have a significant positive impace on later tales.
7. Mark Millar's previous Spider-Man story was about why Spider-Man's identity should be secret, so he has strong feelings on the subject.
8. The Sentry mini series established that Doctor Strange has the ability to warp reality.
9. Loki owes Spider-Man a favor from Amazing Spider-Man #504.
10. There's going to be a Thor revamp.
11. The Thor revamp will likely involve Loki.
12. The Thor revamp will likely involve Thor becoming more powerful (there was talk on how it's going to be a 21st Century take on the Norse Gods just as how Lee/ Kirby had a 1960s take on them.)
13. Ultimate Loki has the ability to warp time & space, and alter reality.
14. Ultimate Loki was written by Mark Millar, the guy who unmasked Spider-Man, and had many months to work on the details of what happens in Civil War.
15. If Thor is getting new powers, it stands to reason Loki will as well.
It's good drama for the villain to be stronger than the hero, so if Thor's getting stronger powers, his archenemy will probably do the same.
16. If Loki is becoming stronger, he can easily gain the abilities his Ultimate version was already established as having.
17. The Thor revamp (which probably involves Loki) is written by the writer of Amazing Spider-Man, who did a story in which Loki owes Spider-Man a favor.
18. Joe Quesada, the guy who wants a single Spider-Man and suggested to Mark Millar that Spider-Man be unmasked is working on a major Spider-Man project with JMS, the guy who writes Amazing Spider-Man/ the upcoming Thor relaunch.
19. Anything I've realized, the writers/ editors have probably realized too.
20. After reading Ultimate Spider-Man #65, and the solicitations for 66-71, along with the fact 72 begins a six issue Hobgoblin arc, I was convinced that Ultimate Peter Parker wouldn't put on his costume again until Issue 75, so I have been wrong in the past.

Crash-Man
10-09-2006, 06:37 PM
That's quite an interesting idea Cyberman.

Almost wished I hadn't read it now. :p

Sorcerer Supreme
10-13-2006, 03:50 PM
Yea, sounds great!

a-spidey
10-14-2006, 12:47 AM
whatever the explanation will be, i hope they do it. Unmasking might be interesting, but i prefer the secret identitiy more.

and there were always the craziest explanations for everything and some other never ever mentioned again.

DoctorDoom
10-14-2006, 01:00 AM
Doom also owes Parker a favor.

Nosgoth Phantom
10-14-2006, 02:20 AM
How is Doom supposed to re-mask him? Conk everyone on the back of their head with his mighty metal fist 'till they forget he's Peter? ;)

a-spidey
10-14-2006, 09:01 AM
maybe they need another spider-man, so everyone sees "hey there's Spider-man and look over there, it's peter parker"

something like that...reminds about DD

SeeSpeakHear
10-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Life model decoy.

Nah, that'd suck.

Joe Acro
10-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Doom also owes Parker a favor.
Actually, he doesn't. Spider-Man lost the debt after mouthing off to him.

My idea on the best way to handle this is another thread. (http://forums.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?t=147344) The reality-warp isn't a bad idea, but it'd be nice if they did something less easy.

stillanerd
10-14-2006, 11:35 AM
My post is in the "Reality Warping Retcon."

Various Clues that joe Q/ JMS/ Millar are planning something big....

1. Joe Queseda wants a single Spider-Man.
2. He does not want Mary Jane to die.
3. He does not want Mary Jane/ Spider-Man to divorce.
4. He is well aware we all love Peter Parker, and wouldn't want anyone else under the Spider-Man mask.
5. He suggested to Mark Millar that Spider-Man should unmask in Civil War.
6. Mark Millar is not a fan of big events (ie-deaths) unless they have a significant positive impace on later tales.
7. Mark Millar's previous Spider-Man story was about why Spider-Man's identity should be secret, so he has strong feelings on the subject.
8. The Sentry mini series established that Doctor Strange has the ability to warp reality.
9. Loki owes Spider-Man a favor from Amazing Spider-Man #504.
10. There's going to be a Thor revamp.
11. The Thor revamp will likely involve Loki.
12. The Thor revamp will likely involve Thor becoming more powerful (there was talk on how it's going to be a 21st Century take on the Norse Gods just as how Lee/ Kirby had a 1960s take on them.)
13. Ultimate Loki has the ability to warp time & space, and alter reality.
14. Ultimate Loki was written by Mark Millar, the guy who unmasked Spider-Man, and had many months to work on the details of what happens in Civil War.
15. If Thor is getting new powers, it stands to reason Loki will as well.
It's good drama for the villain to be stronger than the hero, so if Thor's getting stronger powers, his archenemy will probably do the same.
16. If Loki is becoming stronger, he can easily gain the abilities his Ultimate version was already established as having.
17. The Thor revamp (which probably involves Loki) is written by the writer of Amazing Spider-Man, who did a story in which Loki owes Spider-Man a favor.
18. Joe Quesada, the guy who wants a single Spider-Man and suggested to Mark Millar that Spider-Man be unmasked is working on a major Spider-Man project with JMS, the guy who writes Amazing Spider-Man/ the upcoming Thor relaunch.
19. Anything I've realized, the writers/ editors have probably realized too.
20. After reading Ultimate Spider-Man #65, and the solicitations for 66-71, along with the fact 72 begins a six issue Hobgoblin arc, I was convinced that Ultimate Peter Parker wouldn't put on his costume again until Issue 75, so I have been wrong in the past.

That's a good analysis there Cyberman. Like you, I've also gone with the "world wide mindwipe" idea, first posting it on Newsrama back when the Unmasking first started: http://forum.newsarama.com/showpost.php?p=2081770&postcount=203. Like you said, if such a thing happened, not only would Peter secret ID be restored but it somewhat solves the "marriage problem," it technically wouldn't be retcon because only Spidey would remember what happened, it gives the Green Goblin a bit of rest (although considering how he's supposively going to be leading the new Thunderbolts :eek: :mad: ) and actually goes with the idea Joe Q and JMS talked about with their mini making Spidey resemble more of what he was back during Stan Lee's days.

Originally, I thought it would be Dr. Strange, then later I figured Madame Web, and also Loki did cross my mind (and again, you cite some good circumstantial evidence for it). But now, given all the unresolved stuff stemming from the "Other" as well as everything PAD has been doing recently, I'm inclined to think that more spider-totem craziness will be involved.

And here's a couple of more things to chew on: ever since JMS began his run on Amazing, Spider-Man has been deconstructed, specifically taking apart concieved notions of Spider-Man such as his origins, his powers, the knowledge of his secret identity, his career, the supernatural angle, his being on the Avengers and even his costume. Sooner or later what happens with the deconstructionists is they take whatever they broke and try to glue back the pieces again to make it resemble somewhat of what it originally used to be. Spidey's secret identity was the last shard and now Marvel could be in the process of trying to rebuild (after all, there is more than enough suggestions in the stories themselves that Spidey revealing his identity was the biggest mistake of his life). Also, there are things from JMS run, and what PAD has actually added to, that have yet to be resolved. How does that possible future from ASM #500 come to pass, where we not only is Aunt May dead, but Spidey wearing the leather jacket version of his original costume and about to be killed by a SWAT team? Does this tie in anyway to FNSM #5? What are the six junction points of Spidey's life (the first two being Uncle Ben's death and Gwen Stacy's death)? What is the agenda of Ms. Arrow, who may be the result of the She-Spider from the "Other?" Will Shathra the Spider-Wasp or Morlun reappear? Will we see more of the evil Uncle Ben? And was the radiation and not the spider after all? I would think that if the unmasking is to be reversed, then these issues would also be brought up. Apparently, according to Joe Q EVERYTHING happening to Spidey now ties into that JMS/Joe Q mini. Question is how well to all these pieces fit together?

StrikeForce Albert
10-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Tony Stark Style

Peter: I'm not Spider-Man

Everybody Else: OK!

Black Atom
10-14-2006, 12:53 PM
Hobie Brown will show up in Spider-Man's costume and stand next to Peter Parker on TV.

a-spidey
10-15-2006, 02:43 AM
Tony Stark Style

Peter: I'm not Spider-Man

Everybody Else: OK!

well, and after that nobody ever mentions the time unmasked. never happened though...

worked before, would work here too.

rZi
10-15-2006, 06:11 AM
I think marvel wanted to make civil war as memorable as possible...to do this you need eventful things to happen and they are clearly trying to fill this with alot of them...examples are: spiderman unmasking , thor clone killing goliath etc
I wouldn't mind the unmasking to be reversed..but i think if they do , they will not be able to unmasking him again...otherwise it'll be really be stupid.

Sean Whitmore
10-15-2006, 11:26 PM
well, and after that nobody ever mentions the time unmasked. never happened though...

worked before, would work here too.

Not necessarily true. Tony "re-masking" himself worked about as well for him as it did for Matt Murdock. He kept denying he was Iron Man, but his enemies kept reacted like: "Yeah, whatever, Stark."

SEAN

Buried Alien
10-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Superboy-Prime will retcon punch...

Oops. Wrong universe. :)

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

ednemo
10-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Two Words: COSMIC CUBE

a-spidey
10-16-2006, 11:31 PM
Not necessarily true. Tony "re-masking" himself worked about as well for him as it did for Matt Murdock. He kept denying he was Iron Man, but his enemies kept reacted like: "Yeah, whatever, Stark."

yes true, but i meant more in general when they took a wrong direction they come up with any explanation (aunt may or there baby) and after that nobody speaks about it anymore.

wonder if that will happen to the stuff happened in sins past :confused:

but cosmic cube would be great too :D

ONEz
10-17-2006, 12:24 AM
i think the sentry will come to the rescue.
he can mind wipe the whole universe even himself! maybe spidey & Reed Richards can use that CLOC of his to mind wipe the entire universe of the whole civil war event... and... what civil war??? :confused:

*gotmindwipedfirstasaguineapig* :D