PDA

View Full Version : How much does musical taste tell you about a person?

Samurai
10-03-2006, 01:59 PM
Here's something I've been thinking about lately... how much does a person's musical taste tell you about them? If someone only listens to a single kind of music, such as gangsta rap, country music, broadway show tunes, or 70's protest songs, does it give you an immediate impression of what that person may be like? How about if they claim to not any kind of music? How about if they always listen to a highly diverse mix of all kinds of music, their Ipod playlist going from Sara Evans to ABBA to CCR to Bob Marley to Rammstein? If you find someone with musical tastes identical to your own, do you often find you also have other things in common? Do you feel that music is a more visceral and accurate guage than tastes in comic books, movies, or other media?

Lester C.
10-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Given the fact that most people have an eclectic taste in music I don't think your question, while provocative, isn't answerable. Although people who are, and I hate these terms, high and low culture tend to gravitate toward certain types of music so your question may have merit after all.

Samurai
10-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Given the fact that most people have an eclectic taste in music I don't think your question, while provocative, isn't answerable. Although people who are, and I hate these terms, high and low culture tend to gravitate toward certain types of music so your question may have merit after all.
Sure, people may like one or 2 songs by a group, but not the rest of their stuff. Or 1 or 2 groups in a genre, like country music, because they bridge over to another style they like. But I don't know too many people who actually like and listen to a truly broad range of musical genres, enjoying reggae, country, rock, pop, etc. Most people I know tend to like one or 2 "genres", and then certain groups/styles within those genres, better than others, and will not on their own listen to much of anything outside their musical genre.

Sanagi
10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Obviously, there's no absolutes, but it can give you an indication of how much musical talent and training they have, how keen their pitch sense is, whether or not they like to dance, and how much they appreciate simplicity, complexity, or lyrical depth.

A lot of the time, people will have a range of tastes - a virtuoso jazz player can still appreciate a simple rock tune, for example. So you can't always make strong assumptions.

Other times, a single statement of musical taste will say volumes. Today, someone in one of my classes said "Classical music is so relaxing." Say no more.

Dark Galaxy
10-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Doesn't someone's "muscial upbringing" have to do with their taste as well?
People can have very emotional responses to specific songs or types of music they associate with a certain time or place in their lives.

For example, I grew up listening to my mom's music, which happened to be The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Doors and the like. Therefore, that music feels like home and gives me a specific emotional response. So, music that is similar tends to be attractive to me.

I do like many genres of music. But do those core preferences make me a particular type of person? Or am I a particular type of person because of those preferences? I don't know. Interesting question though.

Bright-Raven
10-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Sure, people may like one or 2 songs by a group, but not the rest of their stuff. Or 1 or 2 groups in a genre, like country music, because they bridge over to another style they like. But I don't know too many people who actually like and listen to a truly broad range of musical genres, enjoying reggae, country, rock, pop, etc.

Is there some criterion that qualifies you as a "fan" of a certain genre? Does one need to own X number of different albums by Z number of different acts in the genre to be a fan of the genre?

Samurai
10-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Is there some criterion that qualifies you as a "fan" of a certain genre? Does one need to own X number of different albums by Z number of different acts in the genre to be a fan of the genre?
It's not a clearly marked line, but if you like more than a few songs/artists within the genre, and you like them not just because their style is very close to another musical genre you like, you may be a fan! Could you listen to a radio station that plays a representative mix of that genre? If so, you may be a fan! Can you honestly say "I like X music", where X = a genre (perhaps with some qualifiers), not just a specific artist or song? If so, you may be a fan!

Sanagi
10-03-2006, 04:34 PM
It's not that complicated. If you consider yourself a fan, you're a fan.

Alex Dragon
10-03-2006, 06:07 PM
Sure, people may like one or 2 songs by a group, but not the rest of their stuff. Or 1 or 2 groups in a genre, like country music, because they bridge over to another style they like. But I don't know too many people who actually like and listen to a truly broad range of musical genres, enjoying reggae, country, rock, pop, etc. Most people I know tend to like one or 2 "genres", and then certain groups/styles within those genres, better than others, and will not on their own listen to much of anything outside their musical genre.

I actually listen to all types of music. It really depends on my mood at the time but I listen to most genres or the radio with the exception of country. There are country artists I like but I find if I listen to a country station for more than a couple of hours I get bored with it. I don't like listening to the same type of music 2 days in a row.

If you judge people's taste on what kind of radio stations they listened to I would think there's enough info there to come to some sort of very broad sense of some personality traits. For example I think the people who only listen to and enjoy classic rock says something about them. Typically a classic rock station has a realitively small play list (all things considered) that is hardly updated and plays those sames songs over and over and over again. I think it takes a certain type to be able to listen to a station like that daily. Jazz music seems to be for people who just love the music because there's no words for a person to relate to or provoke feelings. I think people who like ganster rap have a different mindset than people who like pop songs and might have more in common with people who like speed metal or the harder rock. I think people who like Pop music might share some common threads also.

Of course I'm talking in general terms here and going by people I know and what I observe but I think the type of music one listens to does say at least something about them.

Cam63
10-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I can't tell a person's personality by their taste in art or music.

As for me, I prefer '60s and '70s music and only a smattering of modern music.

...Also anything that goes well with beer. :)

The Xenos
10-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Weird. While waiting at the train station the other day some guy just randomly asked me what my favorite band or the band of my generation was. I couldn't think of one specific one, so I just told him a personal favorite, but told him I liked too many. PLus I was worried that he'd judge my by whatever band I picked. It was.. kinda weird.

NickThompson
10-03-2006, 09:07 PM
In the last day or so I have listened to music from Led Zeppelin, Elvis, The Beatles, Lordi, Paul Simon, Baltimorra, New Order, Oasis, Fatboy Slim, Weezer and more. I dunno what that can tell anyone :)

Lester C.
10-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Music for me is a tool to elicit a particular emotional state I wish feel. For instance when I want to relax while driving or at home Iíll listen to classical musical with various operatic tracks being personal favorites. When Iím in the gym Iíll listen to heavy metal. When I want go a few rounds with boxing bag I like rap.

Jeff Brady
10-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Well, let's figure this out:

Jazz: Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Dizzy Gillespie
Jazz Fusion: Herbie Hancock, Medeski Martin & Wood, Tortoise
Techno: Meat Beat Manifesto, Propellerheads, Hive, Juno Reactor, Layo & Bushwacka, Rob Dougan
Tripno/Ambient: Massive Attack, DJ Spooky, Peace Orchestra, Blamstrain
Industrial: Sephiroth, NIN
World: Geinoh Yamashirogumi, Buena Vista Social Club
Film Soundtracks: Amelie, Batman, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, LotR, Run Lola Run, The Matrix
Classical: Satie, Bach, Grieg
Rock: Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix,Frank Zappa, Cake, Eels, Luscious Jackson, Beastie Boys
Hip Hop: The Roots, Mos Def, A Tribe Called Quest, Asheru
Metal: Devin Townsend, Fantomas, Isis
Soul: Al Green, Aretha Franklin, Barry White

What do you know about me?

PatrickG
10-04-2006, 01:19 AM
I like Barenaked Ladies and Matchbox Twenty a lot. However, BNL has aged better for me.

Also a fan of the Beatles and the whole British Invasion era music.

I like Simon and Garfunkel.

I like Nerf Herder.

Most of my musical tastes tend towards folky pop, punk or alternative.

I have less than 20 CDs if you exclude the moderate library of musical scores, TV show soundtracks (which include ecclectic music) and such.

I like swing. I like jazz. A friend recently sold me on Thom Yorke's new album. Allan Heinberg opened the way to Derek Webb. I like classical music when I'm thinking deeply but don't appreciate the music to the fullest extent. I dig the Black Eyed Peas too.

Now, perusing my iTunes, I DO notice a pattern:

There's 90s alternative pop. Some punk covers.

AND

"I've Got Rhythm" by Benny Goodman, "Blue Skies", "Over the Rainbow" by Frank Sinatra, "Can You Read My Mind" (From SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE) in a 40s club style orchestration by Jimmy Cobb, "Moon River" performed by Audrey Hepburn, "Blue Moon", "Dream a Little Dream of Me" by Louis Armstrong, "Aulde Lang Synne" in a jazzy rendition, "Am I Blue?", "Rhapsody in Blue" as performed by a 40s big band conductor, a jazzy rendition of "Going Home", Ella Fitzgerald doing "Over the Rainbow".

Sanagi
10-04-2006, 01:33 AM

Techno: Meat Beat Manifesto, Propellerheads, Hive, Juno Reactor, Layo & Bushwacka, Rob Dougan
Film Soundtracks: Amelie, Batman, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, LotR, Run Lola Run, The Matrix
Rock: Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix,Frank Zappa, Cake, Eels, Luscious Jackson, Beastie Boys

Geinoh Yamashirogumi! You are clearly awesome.

hellokittykat
10-04-2006, 06:26 AM

Based on this information I can tell that you are 5'11, eat waffles for breakfast and prefer 100% cotton shirt as opposed to the poly blends.

Jeff Brady
10-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Geinoh Yamashirogumi! You are clearly awesome.

The first half of Chaos from Ecophony Gaia keeps me sane. And thanks.

Based on this information I can tell that you are 5'11, eat waffles for breakfast and prefer 100% cotton shirt as opposed to the poly blends.

6 feet even, cereal not waffles, and pretty much.

Adam Crocker
10-04-2006, 10:25 AM

Jazz: Jelly Roll Morton (New Orleans Jazz), Django Reinhardt(Swing, Gypsy Jazz), Coleman Hawkins (Classic Jazz/Swing/Be-Bop), John Coltrane (Modal Music, Hard Bop), Dizzy Gillespie (Be-Bop, Afro Cuban), Miles Davis (Be-Bop, Cool, Hard Bop, Modal Music, etc.)
Jazz Fusion: Miles (natch), Herbie Hancock, Medeski Martin & Wood, Mahavishnu Orchestra
Free-Jazz: Albert Ayler, Anthony Braxton, 'Trane's avante-garde period, Ornette Coleman
Early electronica: Brian Eno, Kraftwerk, Silver Apples, Suicide, Psychic TV
Industrial: Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle
World: Fela Kuti (Afro-Beat), Company Segudo (Cuban), Youssou'n'Dour (Mbalax), Ali Akbar Khan (Raga), Pandit Jasraj (Raga), Mighty Sparrow (Soca), Caetano Veloso (Tropacalia/Musica Popular Brasileira)
Modern Composition: John Cage, Karlhienz Stockhausen, Terry Riley
Acoustic Blues: Mississippi John Hurt, Lonnie Johnson, Robert Johnson, Blind Lemon Jefferson
"Folk:" Leadbelly, Joni Mitchell, John Fahey, Davey Graham
Post-War electric blues: Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Roy Buchanan
Punk: The Stooges, the Clash, the Sex Pistols, the Jam
Post-punk: Pere Ubu, Durutti Column, the Fall, Joy Division
Post-rock: Tortoise, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Slint
Noise-rock: Velvet Underground, James Chance and the Contortions (No Wave), My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth
Alt-Rock/Indie Rock: 80s REM, Minutemen, Pavement, the Smiths
Roots-rock: Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Neil Young
Hard Rock: Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, early Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix
Hip Hop: Public Enemy, DJ Shadow, A Tribe Called Quest, Eric B. and Rakim
Soul: Otis Redding, Al Green, Sam Cooke, O.V. Wright, Solomon Burke

Uh, that you have musical tastes about as wide-ranging as my own, but you're a sissy because NIN represents industrial for you as opposed to Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle? :p

hellokittykat
10-04-2006, 10:57 AM

One inch off is pretty close, cereal and waffles are both grain-like breakfast items, and shirt was correct.
So yup, you can tell everything important about a person by their music selection.

siviusx
10-04-2006, 11:18 AM
I don't think it's what music people like that I find informative; but rather, how they approach their favorites. I myself fall into the category of either loving or hating music and will respond forcefully to music that I find particularly unappealing, and tend to get on better with people who feel similarly strongly.

For instance, I offended a guy I know recently by informing him that one of the new Nelly Furtado singles sucked. He liked it and seemed to think that because I thought it was shite, I was calling his taste in music shite, and that was something to be upset over. It's a very basic misunderstanding about how I tend to think and speak, really; while I'll gladly inform you that you must be partially tonedeaf if you think that Razorlight has even a minor shred of talent, it doesn't mean that I think anything about you is particularly awful just because you happen to own that CD.

While we're on music, how much does it piss me off when a radio station is promoting a track that won't drop yet for another month and it's in my head constantly? >_< Give me THIS REMIX NOW, RADIO 1!

Bright-Raven
10-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Could you listen to a radio station that plays a representative mix of that genre? If so, you may be a fan!

I prefer college radio stations that have blocks of different genres during the day / week, if I can find one. Most commercial radio stations flat out suck, regardless of genre, because they only play the heavy rotation tracks - it's like MTV without the videos; I can only stomach Justin Timberlack (sic) once or twice a day, not five times an hour!

When I had satellite radio through my Dish TV, I would listen to country, R&B, Metal, 50s-90s rock, classical... not sure what all they used to have that I listened to anymore.

Now, if you were to look at my music collection, you would say I listen primarily to country, because about 80% of my collection falls into that category. But gee, when that's all your parents listen to and have ever bought you for over twenty five years, what would you expect to have?

What do I typically buy for myself? I dunno. I seldom if ever buy anything. This year I have not purchased anything yet. Albums open to consideration for 2006:

Evanescence: The Open Door
NickelBack: All The Right Reasons
Snow Patrol: Eyes Open(?)
weezer: Make Believe
Weird Al Yankovic: Straight Outta Lynwood

Those are the ones that stand out in my mind currently. Two of which were from last year's releases (weezer and Nickelback). And in all likelihood I won't buy any of them.

This is why I tend to wait until I can find albums at the local library, take them home and burn the tracks I want.

Now, what did I burn strictly for myself last year?

Green Day (American Idiot)
Rob Thomas (Something To Be)
Gary Allan (Tough All Over)
ZZ Top (Best of Vol. 1-4)

Ones I burned for others and made dupes of just to have in my collection:

Dwight Yoakam (Blame The Vain)
Martina McBride (Timeless)
Terri Clark (Life Goes On)
Todd Rundgren (don't remember the album name)
Keith Urban (Golden Road and Be Here)
Montgomery Gentry (Best of 1995-2005? I think that was the album title)
Lee Ann Womack (Something Worth Leaving Behind and There's More Where That Came From)
Chris Cagle (self-titled)
Sara Evans (Real Fine Place)
Toby Keith (Unleashed)
Brad Paisley (Time Well Wasted)
Chely Wright (The Metropolitan Hotel)
Sawyer Brown (Misson Temple Fireworks Stand)

Mostly country, but most of these were for my parents, which I've already explained the situation there. I just burned copies for myself to add to my collection while I'm burning theirs.

Adam Crocker
10-04-2006, 02:15 PM
I prefer college radio stations that have blocks of different genres during the day / week, if I can find one. Most commercial radio stations flat out suck, regardless of genre, because they only play the heavy rotation tracks - it's like MTV without the videos; I can only stomach Justin Timberlack (sic) once or twice a day, not five times an hour!

I agree completely. It's why I stopped listening to commercial radio (and I want to be able to enjoy Led Zeppelin damnit!) and only listen to the two CBC stations and Saskatoon's local community radio station. If follows different blocks of genres throughout the day, including a mixed morning program from six to ten am, followed by a folk, country, and blues show. The noon hour is devoted to Canadian music, and from one to two its a funk/soul/R&B program. Two o'clock is a new music and music news program, three varies depending on the day (usually classical mon, wed, fri) and from four to six its all jazz. The evenings tend to vary their line up during the week-day and the weekends are given over to multi-cultural programming, including even an Assyrian language show. And none of these actually follow any sort of heavy rotation song list. The closest might be the R&B program since it plays only the vintage stuff, but that's still a large pool to draw from.

Jeff Brady
10-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Uh, that you have musical tastes about as wide-ranging as my own, but you're a sissy because NIN represents industrial for you as opposed to Cabaret Voltaire and Throbbing Gristle? :p

Heh. I'm not the biggest fan of industrial (nor of NIN), so I don't feel compelled to explore it much.

Sanagi
10-04-2006, 06:55 PM

Where'd you find that album? I've been looking for more of their stuff for ages, even asking a friend in Japan to find their albums for me, without much success.

Briareos
10-04-2006, 07:49 PM
I agree completely. It's why I stopped listening to commercial radio (and I want to be able to enjoy Led Zeppelin damnit!) and only listen to the two CBC stations and Saskatoon's local community radio station. If follows different blocks of genres throughout the day, including a mixed morning program from six to ten am, followed by a folk, country, and blues show. The noon hour is devoted to Canadian music, and from one to two its a funk/soul/R&B program. Two o'clock is a new music and music news program, three varies depending on the day (usually classical mon, wed, fri) and from four to six its all jazz. The evenings tend to vary their line up during the week-day and the weekends are given over to multi-cultural programming, including even an Assyrian language show. And none of these actually follow any sort of heavy rotation song list. The closest might be the R&B program since it plays only the vintage stuff, but that's still a large pool to draw from.

Good new Adam! My Chemical Romances new album "The Black Parade" comes out Oct 24th!

Also get on messenger dammit I have music questions I need answered! :evilangry

Jeff Brady
10-04-2006, 08:06 PM
Where'd you find that album? I've been looking for more of their stuff for ages, even asking a friend in Japan to find their albums for me, without much success.

I got Gaia & Rinne from Amazon Japan. Their stuff isn't really available in stores.

Adam Crocker
10-04-2006, 08:13 PM
Heh. I'm not the biggest fan of industrial (nor of NIN), so I don't feel compelled to explore it much.

It's funny to think NIN is ranked in the same style as Throbbing Gristle and Cabaret Voltaire. I mean early Industrial is this strange, abrasive and textured electronic music that's often downright creepy. And its most experimental it resembles the work of avante-garde compositional music rather than rock music (Though in 1981, CV's music took a turn to bearing some resemblance to funk, however gnarled and alien that music was.) Yet from what I have heard of NIN Trent Reznor is operating from more conventional pop song structures using layered electronics with a dark mood. It seems to owe as much to Berlin era David Bowie and Brian Eno's seventies "pop albums" as well as funk as it does TG or CV.

Jeff Brady
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
Everything you just said flew over my head, except for "David Bowie." And that one was got in by just 1/3 of a millimeter.

jaguarshark
10-04-2006, 08:36 PM
Dude, the frontman of Cabaret Voltaire was on a TV show here last night talking about how he got beat up by disco fans. To recap: Beat up by disco fans.
By extension, Cabaret Voltaire are the ultimate sissies of industrial rock.

I think some people's predominant musical tastes (not everything they listen to, just the stuff they really gravitate towards) can tell you a little bit about them. For example, I know a bunch of guys who play in a bad progressive rock/metal band-- as you'd expect, they're mostly pretentious dickweeds. On the other hand, my girlfriend is a classically trained musician who enjoys indie pop (Ben Folds, that sort of thing) without being snobby about it, and she's smart and cute.

I like hip-hop and dance music despite being a white guy with no sense of rhythm, which goes towards my general idiocy. I also like a lot of alt-country, so I guess that makes me all brooding and melancholic and stuff. Which isn't really accurate, and now I'm confused.

Pinball
10-04-2006, 11:31 PM
Try this out for size:

My Live365 account has
Classic Jazz Corner (classic jazz/hard bop)
LiquidSoulElements (r & b/jazz/hip_hop)
Khaha.com (comedy/spoken word)
OldSchoolLive.com(hip-hop/80's)
FusionGroovin (fusion/jazz/funk)
Into the PIT! (extreme metal/rock)
Prog Rock Radio (Prog/art rock/psychedelic)
Ball and Chain Radio (punk/rockabilly)
SwankLounge (house/downtempo)
Delta Blues (delta/country/acoustic blues)
AM Gold Radio (50s/60s)
TomorrowJazz (acid jazz/funk)
Bluegrass Highway (bluegrass/americana/gospel)
ADRENALINE (alternative rap/underground hip-hop)
Industrial Oldies (industrial/electro/goth)
KCIX Full Length Disco (dance/70's/r & b)
Hellstation: HAVOK RADIO (extreme metal/lo-fi)

My Pandora account has
"Shake, Rattle & Roll"
"Boogie Oogie Oogie"
"Rock & Roll All Night"
"Frankenstein"
"Morning Dance"
"Silver Machine"
"When the Saints Go Marching In"
"Sadogoat"
"Crossroads"
"Got My Mojo Workin'"
"White Light/White Heat"
"The Message"
"Chemical Warfare"

Now, i say it's not so much what you listen to, but why.

For instance, i have metal in my Live365, i have metal in my Pandora, and my record collection is 99.9% metal. I mean all kinds of metal, from Bon Jovi to Burzum.

So, why does one listen to metal? Is it the power, the musicianship, the message? All those things are the most common reasons i heard for liking metal.

As for me, i like the noise.:p

Music doesn't have to be loud to be powerful, metal certainly doesn't have a monopoly on great musicianship, and i don't really give a toss about the message. I just think it's neat that someone can make an artform out of noise.

Except i wouldn't want a whole lot of "pure noise/metal machine music" that sounds like snow on a TV. I guess i'm just old-fashioned; i loved listening to the Golden Oldies rock & roll show on the radio as a kid, and i can't get that out of my blood, nor would i want to.

David Bedlam
10-05-2006, 03:26 AM
Let me dig out my iPod and see what I have on it right now...

The Beatles
Beethoven
Derek and the Dominos
The Flaming Lips
Gun's n' Roses
Kings of Leon
Lordi
Mozart
Pink Floyd
Porno Graffiti
Simon and Garfunkel
Wagner

Hmm. Does this mean I'm a schizophrenic?