PDA

View Full Version : From The Ashes TPB

Erik B
10-01-2006, 10:15 AM
what exactly is this book about? Is it the Inferno storyline under a different name or what?

Sentinel K
10-01-2006, 10:17 AM
what exactly is this book about? Is it the Inferno storyline under a different name or what?

Its the aftermath of the Phoenix Saga I think.

MakeMineMarvel
10-01-2006, 10:20 AM
It actually collects Uncanny 168-176 and here is a description (from TPBlist):

Edited to remove spoilers, in case you haven't read the originals. See post below for spoilers.

spoon_jenkins
10-01-2006, 10:28 AM
From the Ashes reprints Uncanny X-Men #168-176 from 1983. Sentinel K is correct in a sense. It's not the immediate aftermath of the Dark Phoenix Saga. That story ended a few years earlier (in Uncanny #137). But it is somewhat related.

** Very modest spoilers below **

Scott Summers means a pilot named Madelyne Pryor (who you know if you've read Inferno). She looks a lot like Jean Grey. So it seems like Phoenix may have returned, hence the title "From the Ashes." I let you read it to find out what happens - unless you want more spoilers.

There's also a number of other plots running through the TPB at the same time.

From the Ashes is probably my favorite X-Men storyline of all time. I highly, highly recommend it. It features art by the underrated Paul Smith.

ETA: Basically MakeMineMarvel posted the stuff in my spoiler tags first.

DDM
10-01-2006, 11:48 AM
From the Ashes reprints Uncanny X-Men #168-175. The storylines covered are Rogue joining the team, Storm becoming leader of the Morlocks, Wolverine's aborted wedding to Mariko, & throughout is the introduction of Madelyne Pryor. Mastermind is responsible for Mariko calling-off Wolverine's wedding & uses his mutant illusion powers to make the X-Men believe Madelyne Pryor is Jean Grey, Phoenix, reborn. Mastermind is also responsible for Mystique's dream when she is killed by Lady Jean Grey & placing the Hellfire Club's White Queen catatonic (Mastermind's application for member with the Hellfire Club's Inner Circle was rejected when Phoenix freed the X-Men & helped defeat the other Lords Cardinal just prior to her transformation into Dark Phoenix).

No, it's not related to Inferno.

Read The Dark Phoenix Saga (Uncanny X-Men #129-137) before you read this story.

Sentinel K
10-01-2006, 11:52 AM
So basically it's most of paul smith's issues. Excellent.

It's weird, I've never seen this trade before. Is it still in print?

DDM
10-01-2006, 12:08 PM

No, but you can find in a LCS or on Ebay.

fishtaco
10-01-2006, 12:09 PM
There's a From The Ashes TPB?

And yes, I highly reccomend reading From The Ashes.

spoon_jenkins
10-01-2006, 12:11 PM

Yeah, it's all Paul Smith's issues except his first three. Smith's first three were the conclusion of the Brood saga.

You probably haven't seen it because it's a really old trade. It was published in 1991. I think I got it back then. I think there may have been a reprinting in the past few years, because sometimes I see copies that look brand new. But I always see it with the exact same cover, so I don't think they've changed anything. I frequently see super-cheap copies on ebay - probably because From the Ashes is so overshadowed and underrated. It's got a nice Art Adams cover.

DDM
10-01-2006, 12:13 PM
There's a From The Ashes TPB?

And yes, I highly reccomend reading From The Ashes.

It was reprinted in the late 80's. It has an Arthur Adams original cover:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0871356155.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1095283310_.jpg

MakeMineMarvel
10-01-2006, 12:59 PM
It was reprinted in the late 80's. It has an Arthur Adams original cover:

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/0871356155.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1095283310_.jpg

That's the one. Actually have it sitting on the desk right now :p