PDA

View Full Version : Jack Kirby's greatest single work?

Kid Kyoto
09-30-2006, 11:13 AM
If you had to pick a TBP or even an issue of Jack Kirby's work to convince a skeptical reader that he was the king of American comics, what would you choose?

I honestly have not read most of his silver age marvel work or his later indy work and can't really pick something. I would probably go with New Gods once it's reprinted in color. What else?

Tommy
09-30-2006, 11:21 AM
New Gods was probibly my favorite, with the Pact being #1. But Fantastic Four is DAMN close.

Gingold
09-30-2006, 11:44 AM
Jimmy Olsen is my favorite Kirby and New Gods is probably the best Kirby, but I think Fantastic Four is probably the most accessable Kirby. Essential FF #3 is probably what I'd give a new reader.

Aaron Kashtan
09-30-2006, 12:14 PM
Jimmy Olsen is my favorite Kirby and New Gods is probably the best Kirby, but I think Fantastic Four is probably the most accessable Kirby. Essential FF #3 is probably what I'd give a new reader.

I think I agree with all of this.

howyadoin
09-30-2006, 12:15 PM
FF was definitely the first thing that came to my mind, but it's kind of an unfair question in that 100 issues gives a guy a lot more opportunity to do cool shit.

Paul McEnery
09-30-2006, 12:52 PM
You know, I wouldn't give any of Kirby's comics to do the job, because the narrative is corny and dated now, and you have to be a bit forgiving to work with it. I'd direct people to bloody great art pieces out of the Kirby collector and let people walk backwards from there. Then it's easier to see how crazy and great he was.

mrc1214
09-30-2006, 01:52 PM
FF Essentials 3

Jack Zodiac
09-30-2006, 05:39 PM
I hate the "Essentials" line. Yeah, it's cheap and easily-accessible, but it's black and white, and frankly four-color super heroes weren't meant to be read in black and white.

Get the "44 Years of Fantastic Four" DVD-ROM. It has every single issue of Fantastic Four from 1961 to 2004, and for less than the price of a Marvel's Masterworks hardcover.