PDA

View Full Version : Trying to finger an old comic I used to read.

kalika_aryn
09-28-2006, 11:01 AM
Hey there. New to the board. I joined for a very specific reason. There was this comic book I read when I was younger. I'm currently 22, and I'd say it was when I was 7-10 so it was about 1990-1994ish time.

I don't remember the name of the comic, thus is my problem. I don't remember anything else that's really the helpful, meaning the author, penciler or publisher. All i really remember is the plot of one issue.

It started with a woman underwater giving birth to a baby girl. The father was there, helping, but in the end he had to cut the baby out of her, leaving the woman's body to be eaten by sharks. The little girl grows up. I'm thinking they basically lived underwater, like gils and all that.

I think she was some kinda princess, because they kept her away from meeting others. This boy, of course, find her in a cave and they all have that moment when they like fall in love.

The next part cuts to a girl [i thought she was elfish, but not real sure] who has this little pixie thing following her, finding her friend [i'm guessing on this part] kinda tied up in the caccoon thing. She cuts him loose and it turns out to be the boy from the cave with the princess.

Then things get a little fuzzy, but I remember they running into the princess water girl and then there's a scene were the princess and boy turn into deers. It got really weird there.

In the end all three join together to go off and face some kinda evil.

That's it. The art kinda reminds me of a cross between Aquaman and Elfquest.

If anyone has ANY idea, even something crazy, I'd really appreciate it. I've been searching for this MIA comic for about five years now and I have found anything.

Thanks so much for reading all this.

Aaron King
09-28-2006, 10:50 PM
First of all, could you make your text bigger? Sorry to be jerk, but it was really difficult to read your post.

As I was slogging through it though, I kept thinking, "Man, this sounds like Peter David's Aquaman. Or maybe Elfquest." That was all I could figure out. Do you happen to remember any publisher information? Was it in black and white or color? It doesn't seem like any Marvel or DC comic published at the time.

Agentum
09-29-2006, 01:15 AM
No it's not Peter Davids Aquaman.

Allan Harvey
09-29-2006, 03:34 AM
ElfQuest: WaveDancers. Published in 1994, the synopsis of issue 4 sounds very much like what you've described.

http://www.blackmermaid.com/dancers.html

Let's hope it's as good as you remember it!

kalika_aryn
09-29-2006, 06:46 AM
ElfQuest: WaveDancers. Published in 1994, the synopsis of issue 4 sounds very much like what you've described.

http://www.blackmermaid.com/dancers.html

Let's hope it's as good as you remember it!

O.o Oh. My. God.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I'm just shocked that that's all it took to find this comic. I've wasted so much time trying to describe it at the Motor City Comic Con to anyone who would listen to me.

Seriously, I feel like I need to give you my first born-child or something.

Now I just need to find it somewhere...

Agentum
09-29-2006, 11:01 AM
Yes people on this forum know almost everything about comics.

gking727
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
I think I've seen that available as a trade paperback. You might check Amazon.com or eBay.

Perry Holley
09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
I think I've seen that available as a trade paperback. You might check Amazon.com or eBay.Yep. It's out of print, but Amazon has a few copies available (http://www.amazon.com/Elfquest-Readers-Collection-16-WaveDancers/dp/0936861711).

Matt Algren
09-29-2006, 02:43 PM
Yep. It's out of print, but Amazon has a few copies available (http://www.amazon.com/Elfquest-Readers-Collection-16-WaveDancers/dp/0936861711).
Hold on, this isn't the same Wave Dancers, according to one of the reviews. It doesn't appear that this Wave Dancers was ever collected.

"Buyers should also know that this collection of "Wavedancers" is NOT the original early 90's 6-issue series of "Wavedancers" created by Blackmermaid Productions. Those were tragically discontinued due to series of unfortunate squabbles and ultimately shelved as a 'what if' tale. Too bad, for once the Pinis struck gold with another creative team.

I recomend this Readers Collection for EQ completists only (formerly like me). For those that want true beauty in their Mer-elves, I urge you to seek out the first 6 comic issues of "Wavedancers" by BMP, as you will not be dissapointed."

TheHistorian
09-29-2006, 03:49 PM

Only if it's some sort of water-breathing elf or whatever. :)

Allan Harvey
09-29-2006, 03:50 PM
O.o Oh. My. God.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Man, I tellya, the number of first-born children I got around here -- I'm runnin' out of room!! :)

Glad I could help. Hopefully it shouldn't be too hard to track down.

kalika_aryn
09-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Hold on, this isn't the same Wave Dancers, according to one of the reviews. It doesn't appear that this Wave Dancers was ever collected.

"Buyers should also know that this collection of "Wavedancers" is NOT the original early 90's 6-issue series of "Wavedancers" created by Blackmermaid Productions. Those were tragically discontinued due to series of unfortunate squabbles and ultimately shelved as a 'what if' tale. Too bad, for once the Pinis struck gold with another creative team.

I recomend this Readers Collection for EQ completists only (formerly like me). For those that want true beauty in their Mer-elves, I urge you to seek out the first 6 comic issues of "Wavedancers" by BMP, as you will not be dissapointed."

Shit.

Well, I guess that's what god made Comic-Cons for.