PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead keeps on selling

Augie De Blieck Jr.
09-28-2006, 06:03 AM
First of all, let's welcome John Mayo to the CBR fold, with his monthly look at the direct market's sales figures. Check out his first column here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8478

And then scroll down and take note that the first WALKING DEAD trade has sold nearly 50,000 copies to date. I'm guessing that's nearly five times what the first issue originally sold. Wow. Good job, Kirkman.

-Augie

pmpknface
09-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Yeah. And Invincible (the monthly) is on the charts at #135 with 13,600 and the WALKING DEAD clocks in at #103 with 20,500!!!

WD is the 4th highest Image selling book this month behind the Darkness/Wolvie issue (#69, 34k), Spawn (#89, 26.2 k - and that one being 8 weeks late!), and Hunter Killer (#102, 21.9k).

I really hope the 2,100 copies of Rocketo a month is enough to make Image put out a tpb! I NEED vol 2!!!!

I like this listing. Especially the "weeks late" column. Take a look at which company has the most... Marvel really only seemed to have an issue with She-Hulk 11 & 12.

JohnMayo
09-30-2006, 07:50 PM
First of all, let's welcome John Mayo to the CBR fold, with his monthly look at the direct market's sales figures. Check out his first column here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8478

And then scroll down and take note that the first WALKING DEAD trade has sold nearly 50,000 copies to date. I'm guessing that's nearly five times what the first issue originally sold. Wow. Good job, Kirkman.

-Augie

Thanks, Augie. I'm happy to be here.

As for Walking Dead, the first issue of Walking Dead sold around 7,300 copies. I've got a chart of the total sales for the monthly issues of Walking Dead here (http://www.comicbookpage.com/SalesEstimates/ChartDefinitions/ShowTitleChart.php?Chart=Title-CBG&Publisher=Image&Title=Walking%20Dead).

I'm constantly amazed at how well the series sells both in the monthly format and in the trade format. I avoid horror and zombie type stories like the plague but got hook on the series as a result of the Comic Geek Speak. I read the first six issues and was amazed how strong the story is.

Kirkman is definately doing something right. And, I think what it is that makes the story so strong is that anything can happen. All of the characters are constantly in very real danger and stuff happens. Kirkman is essentially "goign without a net" in some sense. It is that unpredictability and "danger" which makes the series inherently more interesting than a lot of other titles out there. But, I could be wrong and maybe there is something else which might explain why the monthly title keeps going up in sales most months and why all of the trades keep showing up on the top trades list most months.

swinebread
09-30-2006, 10:58 PM
Walking Dead is a lot of fun to read. It's a good thing to give Manga fans who don't like a lot of American Comics.

pmpknface
10-06-2006, 01:18 PM
John,

Very glad to have you on board! I'll be looking forward to your columns!