09-28-2006, 03:20 AM
S

P

O

I

L

E

R

Jubei is sleeping with a blindfold on when 2 bandits see him and think he's blind. One of them sneaks up and tries to steal his sword when Jubei grabs the handle and pulls his sword out of the scabbard. The bandits unsheath their own swords but Jubei quickly defeats them, cutting their shoulders presumably so they can't use their swords. He then takes off the blindfold and walk away.
Later, Jubei is walking when he happens upon an old woman who is surrounded by wolves. Jubei helps the old lady, killing the wolves. In gratitude, the old woman offers Jubei some tea at her house. They get to talking about Jubei's status. Is he a samurai/ronin, government spy/ninja or a vagabond? Jubei asks if he can be all three. She then offers Jubei a place to sleep for the night.
In the morning, a thick fog has surrounded the house. A shadow moves past the door but when Jubei goes to check, there's nobody there. The old lady and all her belongings are gone.
He runs outside and is attacked by a colony of wasps. He jumps in to the river to escape them, commenting on a feeling of deja vu. When he climbs out of the river there's a giant snake on the bank. He dodges an attack and then slices through the snake, holding the pose at the end of the attack for several panels as any good samurai would. When the snake slices in half lots of little snakes come out from the body. Jubei kills them (in a single panel no less).
He sees a straw hat floating in the river and is going over to it when he ducks just in time to get out of the way of a weapon being thrown at him. He stands up confused and has to duck once more, to avoid the weapon that has boomeranged back around. It gets stuck in a tree and Jubei goes over to inspect it. He comments on the snakes, the wasps and now this familiar weapon.
He then turns around and is confronted by Benisato, Tessai and Mushizo.

Pretty good comic, certainly not disappointing. The art is beautiful and not overly manga-fied, which I was expecting. It's obviously set after the movie, since Benisato says "Nice to know you haven't forgotten us Jubei Kibagami, because we haven't forgotten you". I heard it's set between the movie and the series. I haven't seen the series though so I don't know if they're even in the same continuity.
I think this is an ongoing, but I'm not sure. Anybody know?

Mr. Palmer
09-29-2006, 05:07 AM
It's an ongoing.

As for the issue? Mind you, I'm going in without any prior knowledge of these characters or their universe, and I liked it.

BigBoss
09-29-2006, 05:14 AM
this seems pretty intresting this is one of my friends favorite animes and he nows his stuff he got the comic and said it was very good so I will probally watch the movie then chect out the comic seris.

Majinlex
09-29-2006, 07:21 AM
You guys should definitely check out the movie. It's awesomely beautiful (or is that beautifully awesome?...)
Just as a matter of interest, Mr. Palmer, what made you pick it up if you haven't seen the movie? It's been my experience that only fans would usually pick up this kind of thing (like the Metal Gear Solid comic) though I suppose ninjas have a wider appeal.
And as long as we're bringing people back from the dead, I hope we get to see Mujuro, the blind samurai. He's probably my favourite character from the movie.

Mr. Palmer
09-29-2006, 07:40 AM
Mr. Palmer, what made you pick it up if you haven't seen the movie?

I saw the Rama preview that featured the bout against the giant snake. Sold! :D

Majinlex
09-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Ah of course. How could anyone resist the giant snake... I didn't mean that dirty

Zakuraba
09-30-2006, 11:28 PM
This book is pretty horrible. The dialogue is very cliched and uninteresting. The action is extremely undynamic and far too cartoonish, and the art at times jumps into full anime/manga mode.

Nothing really going for this book.

Subotai
10-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Does Jubei have the same sort of sense of humour as in the movie?

sabongero
10-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Jubei took on the Giant Snake but it came out pretty boring. It was like a WWE Superstar versus a jobber. There was no thrill or suspense. For all intents and purposes the giant snake could have been a wish bone and the same effect will be conveyed.

In all respect to the Ninja Scroll anime movie, I will continue with this comic book. Why ? Just go take a look at the last page. When you do...that las page just makes you want to see just exactly what happens in issue # 2.

It may be too early to judge this work. Let's give it another two issues.

IMJ
10-05-2006, 10:09 PM
I'm glad I saw this thread because I'd forgotten about this series. I'll have to pick it up. Ninja Scroll is hands down one of the best Animes out there, and in a very surprising turn, the animated series (3 Volumes on DVD) didn't suffer in its film to T.V. Series translation. Honestly, in some respects, I'd say it actually got better. I've sort of "grown out" of any interest in Anime, but I still like Ninja Scroll and it's animated series. I'll have to try this book out.

Guts/Batman
10-06-2006, 09:56 PM
Going off of not knowing crap about this story before reading this, I was pleased with this book.

It was quick paced, had a lot of action and was a good read.

swinebread
10-07-2006, 08:49 AM
I enjoyed it and I loved the film from years ago. I wanted more story though as this is based on an anime film. My knee jerk is to have a whole manga book to read. I'll stick with it.

and Regardless if you liked the comic or not, watch the Ninja Scroll film. It is wonderful. The TV series was meh in my book though.

TheLizard207
10-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Does Jubei have the same sort of sense of humour as in the movie?
Yes he does. He's still trying to catch a nap. Can't wait for issue #2

The_Vision
10-09-2006, 12:43 PM
And as long as we're bringing people back from the dead, I hope we get to see Mujuro, the blind samurai. He's probably my favourite character from the movie.

I'll second that. He was definitely my favorite. I'd like to see the hunter back as well (the one who used shadows and his "claw"). I'll have to pick this up.