PDA

View Full Version : Sacrilege! What Movies Do You Hate, In Spite of Their High Status?

Pages : 1 [2]

the film freak
10-05-2006, 04:54 PM
The characters were sort of supposed to be despised.

You were suppose to despise Maude?

I don't know about that.

Dan Apodaca
10-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Harold and Maude. I despised every frame of this film.

Enjoy not getting laid.

Cyke
10-05-2006, 06:11 PM
Well, first of all, I knew all of that. Second, it doesn't really impact my opinion of the film or do anything to bolster the "best film ever made" argument. It was certainly an influential film. An innovative one. Perhaps even technically groundbreaking. None of that (or even all of that, for that matter) adds up to it being the "best" or "greatest" film of all time, as it is often said to be.

*shrugs* Just trying to see where your prof was coming from.

the film freak
10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
Enjoy not getting laid.

Yeah a lot of women love that movie for some reason.

Slam_Bradley
10-05-2006, 09:12 PM
For me, as a filmmaker, technical stuff is always great and makes the movie ranks up to the greatest. But people (common spectators) like the STORYLINE better, or the message, the moral debates, stuff like that.

All of which Kane has. In spades. Along with outstanding performances.

the film freak
10-05-2006, 09:44 PM
All of which Kane has. In spades. Along with outstanding performances.

It's also pretty funny.

mistervader
10-07-2006, 09:30 PM
Is Kane a film that grows on you? Because I've seen it twice or thrice, and one of those repeat viewings was with commentary, even.

Because if it's a film that has to grow on me, this film, like all of Kurosawa's films that I've seen, haven't done so for me.

I turn to Miike and Takeshi (and the guy who did Battle Royale. Forgot his name. Kinji something?) for good Japanese films. I haven't seen a Kurosawa film that I liked, and I've seen at least five, including Ran and 7 Samurai.

DLFerguson
10-07-2006, 11:02 PM
The Sixth Sense
The Matrix
E.T.
There's Something About Mary
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Open Water
Lost In Translation
The Blair Witch Project

Dan Apodaca
10-08-2006, 05:45 PM
Open Water

I hated that movie! So terribly directed, and the ending made me laugh out loud.

davids
10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Glorified soap opera. I would run so far away from that spoiled vicous bitch, she couldn't find me with the hubel telescope!:evilsmile

DLFerguson
10-08-2006, 09:56 PM
I hated that movie! So terribly directed, and the ending made me laugh out loud.

My wife and I thought the same thing. The ending was like the punchline to a really long and grisly joke. All the while we were watching the movie we were both wondering: "So how did they find out what happened to them?"

The final shot of the movie answered the question and we both just lost it.

kel25
10-08-2006, 10:12 PM
My wife and I thought the same thing. The ending was like the punchline to a really long and grisly joke. All the while we were watching the movie we were both wondering: "So how did they find out what happened to them?"

The final shot of the movie answered the question and we both just lost it.
Never saw that movie and never wanted to but you have me curious. Care to say what the punchline was?

As for my list I noticed that nearly everything I dislike has been mentioned but I'll list them along with a few that haven't been listed.

Titanic
Every movie Iíve ever seen by Tarantino
Nearly every movie Iíve seen by Disney (All the ones I've liked were animated so I guess I have some soul left.)
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
Sound of Music
The Passion of the Christ (and all religious films I've seen)
Psycho
The Ring
Harry Potter (All of them)
Superman (All of them)
The Abyss
Matrix (All of them)
Godzilla (All of them)
King Kong (All of them)
All horror movies I've seen.

I would say Independence Day but I donít recall anyone ever holding it in high regards.

Iíve never been able to bring myself to watch Napoleon Dynamite. Half of my friends tell me itís one of the funniest movies ever while the other half say it drains your soul. All the clips and commercials Iíve ever seen have been boring/stupid so I assume this move is bad. I doubt I could ever bring myself to watch the movie and find out for sure what I really think of it.

the film freak
10-08-2006, 10:35 PM
Never saw that movie and never wanted to but you have me curious. Care to say what the punchline was?

As for my list I noticed that nearly everything I dislike has been mentioned but I'll list them along with a few that haven't been listed.

Titanic
Every movie Iíve ever seen by Tarantino
Nearly every movie Iíve seen by Disney (All the ones I've liked were animated so I guess I have some soul left.)
Gone With the Wind
Casablanca
Sound of Music
The Passion of the Christ (and all religious films I've seen)
Psycho
The Ring
Harry Potter (All of them)
Superman (All of them)
The Abyss
Matrix (All of them)
Godzilla (All of them)
King Kong (All of them)
All horror movies I've seen.

I would say Independence Day but I donít recall anyone ever holding it in high regards.

Iíve never been able to bring myself to watch Napoleon Dynamite. Half of my friends tell me itís one of the funniest movies ever while the other half say it drains your soul. All the clips and commercials Iíve ever seen have been boring/stupid so I assume this move is bad. I doubt I could ever bring myself to watch the movie and find out for sure what I really think of it.

Um... so do you like anything?

Legato
10-09-2006, 04:19 PM

He probably dont. I find this thread pretty funny now, looking at the choices some of the posters made.

kel25
10-09-2006, 04:43 PM
LOL yes there are a lot of movies I like. Mostly they are comedies. If you look for a thread movies that you never tire of I've listed a few of my favorites there.

Tish-the-Scorpion
10-10-2006, 01:31 PM
million dollar baby,not a bad movie but.....is it really oscar worthy???

StrawNilla
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
I think both are important. The lessons of Jesus's life are invaluable but appreciation of the extent of his sacrifice and the brutality he faced on our behalf is important too. I agree that the Passion of the Christ might've been a better film if more time was devoted to Jesus's life and not just his death but for me it got across what He went through for us.

If the violence wasn't one sided it wouldn't be the same story.
I agree. There's no need to sugar coat it, this is something that the majority of the world (myself included) beleives in, and it's coming from the Bible.

Using the Bible as a source, the crucifixion would not be a typical action scene where the hero of the story makes a heroic comeback after being beaten down so many times. This was the story of Jesus Christ, the Son of God, who came down from Heaven to die for forgiveness of the sins of all mankind that we would have life. I don't consider the Passion a snuff film, at the same time, I'm not going to take it so seriously, as this was just an on-screen portrayl and nothing like what actually happened.

Rylon
10-10-2006, 06:20 PM
the crucifixion would not be a typical action scene where the hero of the story makes a heroic comeback after being beaten down so many times.I would call the resurrection a heroic comeback. It's still not a typical action scene; Jesus doesn't get all Old Testament on his torturers.

davids
10-10-2006, 07:36 PM
Woods, rocks, dumb teens!