PDA

View Full Version : The Reason(s) For Your Signature

DennyK
09-13-2006, 04:39 AM
I'm kind of curious as to why people use the signatures they do. Is it to just have a laugh, or quote another poster who made you laugh? Do you choose a quote that you find particularily inspiring? Are you sending a message with it? I admit that my reasons change and for just some of the reasons I have mentioned. How about you, what's up with your signature?

Lone Ranger
09-13-2006, 05:52 AM
I used to use quotes from songs, poems or books, just to make people think that I was witty and such.

I don't believe that it ever worked.

Now I've just got links.

Forefinger
09-13-2006, 05:54 AM
I change mine daily to feature funny or just weird posts from CBR.

dougputhoff
09-13-2006, 06:10 AM
Because I want to people to look at my webpage, darnit.

Mike Smash!
09-13-2006, 06:13 AM
Just shilling for causes I believe in.

TinMan
09-13-2006, 06:13 AM
I created my Disclaimer because I'm an ass. Yes, thats right, I'm an asshole. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true... I hope you guys won't look down on me for it. :p

But seriously, I had way to many people flip out over some comments I made that were meant as exaggeration or jokes, so I created my Disclaimer to remedy people flying off the handle to quickly.

That and Forefinger's my archnemesis, so theres that too.

cactusmaac
09-13-2006, 06:17 AM
I cycle between wise things said by people in the past and stuff by CBR posters which made me chuckle or nod my head in agreement.

jessecuster3
09-13-2006, 06:25 AM
I like witty or just silly things said on CBR so thats what I use.

Clint Barton
09-13-2006, 06:31 AM
1. Keb' Mo' is my favorite blues artist
2. Ace of Spades is my favorite web blog.
3. I like westerns for their funny quotes.

Dom
09-13-2006, 07:05 AM
Part of the Italian National Anthem, still celebrating being World Champions.

Cei-U!
09-13-2006, 07:47 AM
There's no real rhyme or reason to it. I choose 'em on a whim. I'm actually overdue for a change but too lazy to do it at the moment.

Cei-U!
I summon the inertia!

Puma
09-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Understand the quotes, understand me.

Jeff Brady
09-13-2006, 07:54 AM
1) Because I fucking hate it when people ask mindnumbingly stupid questions.

2) I must pimp myself somehow, without being obnoxious about it.

3) An eternal truth.

BoosterBronze
09-13-2006, 07:58 AM
To remind people of the tragic loss we all suffered just a few short weeks ago.
:::sniff:::
:::sob:::

SUPERECWFAN1
09-13-2006, 08:01 AM
Mine is to pimp and hope people watch Extreme Championship Wrestling ! Where SuperE got his handle and name from.

The other are 2 funny quotes I lifted. One is from Paul Heyman who is pretty wild. You will drink the cool-aid my children and follow Paul to where he wants.

The last quote is by a poster to John Byrne who pretty much in a thread said some wrong things about Steve Irwin and his death. Which is the course considering who John Byrne is now. ;)

jade_nova
09-13-2006, 08:13 AM
Because I think they're cute, in regards to the Monkey Joe one, and funny for the rest.

Samurai
09-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I use mine to educate, to show quotes from people (good and bad) that I feel everyone ought to be aware of.

Forefinger
09-13-2006, 08:28 AM
I created my Disclaimer because I'm an ass. Yes, thats right, I'm an asshole. I know it's hard to believe, but it's true... I hope you guys won't look down on me for it. :p

But seriously, I had way to many people flip out over some comments I made that were meant as exaggeration or jokes, so I created my Disclaimer to remedy people flying off the handle to quickly.

That and Forefinger's my archnemesis, so theres that too.
You? An asshole? Say it ain't so!:rolleyes:

HomerJay
09-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Same with mine.
There's very little I take too seriously, so nobody should take my posts too seriously either.

tricksterpup
09-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Has any one else here been threatened to be killed in a comic by an Editor?? I think not, those are bragging rights for me.

twilight
09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
First part is just because I loved that line.

Second part is because I thought people might be interested in what stuff I was enjoying at present.

JeffreyWKramer
09-13-2006, 08:58 AM
Statement 1 - A couple of descriptors applied to me by other CBR folk.

Statement 2 - Some principles to keep in mind when trying to make sense of why so many things happen as they do.

Statement 3 - This one changes all the time. Sometimes it's a funny quote from somewhere else, or a good quote or exchange from CBR folks, embodying the theme of Statement 2. Sometimes it's some other pithy or profound or funny quotation. Sometimes I use this part of the sig for a political statement, or to promote comics that don't suck.

Merey
09-13-2006, 09:09 AM
Because I've had a slight 10 year obsession with the quoted play. I try to switch out the quotations from time to time, but there is a lot of choose from because, IMHO, it's a pefect piece of playwrighting.

Davideaux
09-13-2006, 09:16 AM
My sig is in honor of a certain poster who used to go mad with the smilies. :D :cool: :evilangry :p

Joe Acro
09-13-2006, 09:23 AM
My signature, on this board, is used to express things I think about in relation to comics. At first, it was that Bizarro should fly backwards. Now, it says... well, read it for yourself.

Valmore
09-13-2006, 11:05 AM
Because someone has to warn people about the impending moment when Donovan McNabb's mom force-feeds them delicious Chunky(TM) Hearty Beef and Potatos Soup.

mattbib
09-13-2006, 11:11 AM
Mine's just a few links, several CBR-related, to things I'm associated with.

Jack Zodiac
09-13-2006, 11:20 AM
I used to plug my column when I still had one, and my reviews when I still did them. Then I stopped posting for, like, a year. Then I came back and just deleted my signature until I stumbled into a debate about capital punishment with Jeffrey and something he said reminded me of a Tool lyric. And that's why that's there now.

I don't change it because I'm fuckin' lazy. :p

Gilda Dent
09-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Minde tend to be quotes that I find inspirational or have found to be good advice for how to do things in my own life. They don't change often because I'm lazy.

Stellar
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
well i have to say your current one is inspirational indeed.

the first line in mine is from One Fine Day, a song by The Offspring.

the countdown speaks for itself. Wildcats is one of the greatest comic books ever IMO. anyone who's read v3.0 will agree

Dreadstar
09-13-2006, 11:31 AM
DennisK is the reason for my signature.

...well, OK, maybe not.

Dan Apodaca
09-13-2006, 11:39 AM
I have the clique line there because anybody who gets upset about "cliquishness" deserves to be teased about it.

The quote changes, depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes it's something I find funny, sometimes it's something that strokes me ego, and sometimes it's something that I think is very astute and should be circulated. Right now, it's the latter.

I recently added the link to my band's page because we always like to get new fans and friends, and I wanted to share something from my life with some of the people here. Also we are awesome and you deserve to listen to us.

Grazzt
09-13-2006, 11:39 AM
Mine are just random quotes that I liked and found silly and completely random. I don't change them unless I need more space for something new, in which case I jettison something old at random.

Ontir
09-13-2006, 12:11 PM
My reasons are humour, outrage, and to rally like-minded individuals.

howyadoin
09-13-2006, 01:44 PM
How about you, what's up with your signature?I just really care how you're doin'.

DennyK
09-13-2006, 02:00 PM
DennisK is the reason for my signature.

...well, OK, maybe not.

HA! (actually that is an excellent post)

Sean Walsh
09-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Every so often, I go to Thesuperficial.com and find some insulting one-liner about a famous person and add it to the sig.

And I just love Wesley Dodd's comment re: Darkseid, so that stays forever. :p

Phrozen
09-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I think mine is pretty obvious.

To answer any questions though:

Yes, they are and yes we do.

i_mmmchocolate
09-13-2006, 03:43 PM
If I'm not on CBR, I'm blabbering on my blog or reading other blogs on my blogroll.

Deathstroke
09-13-2006, 03:59 PM
I use my signature to promote my latest CD Reviews, and the Warren Zevon quote I thought was just so Warren.

Rob Allen
09-13-2006, 04:42 PM
My signature meets the RFC specifications for a signature on usenet, circa 1990. Dash, dash, space, newline, followed by 1-4 lines of freeform text. People who used more than 4 lines were chided for wasting bandwidth.

I use it because I'm an old fart who remembers what the internet was like before html.

Sanagi
09-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I think signatures look ugly on message boards, so I don't have one. So there.

zilch
09-13-2006, 11:27 PM
The multiverse/reboot thing came about when i was designing the ultimate continuity wonk tshirt (and WHY i was doing that i'll never know). The quote would be on a t that was half starfield a red slash then white.

the other two are quotes from movies no one has ever seen.

phoenixrising
09-14-2006, 12:03 AM
Mine's devolved over the course of my time here. I used to have cool quotes and such. Now I just have the title given to me by a fellow poster and a link to a defunct blog. I suck.

Bouncing Boy
09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
The first two that are currently in my signature need a little bit of background:

I did alot of theatre in High School and College. One of the plays I was in, in High School, was a farce by Tom Stophard called the Real Inspector Hound. Durring our warmups before each performance, our director would tell us, "keep these three quotes in mind as you are doing the show, first, as Will Rogers said, 'Everything is funny, as long as it happens to someone else.' Second, as Mel Brooks said, 'Tragedy is when I cut my Finger, Comedy is when you fall in an open manhole and die.' And finally as Daffy Duck said as he was swimming...Yes SWIMMING through the air, 'I'm so silly, I don't even know I can't do this!'" Those quotes stuck with me over the years. I'm not sure why I left out the Will Rogers quote, perhaps I should add it to the other two.

The final quote in my signature came from when Rally and I were watching TV and were flipping through the chanels. The movie "Lifeforce" was playing on one of the chanels that we would flip through and one of the times we landed on it some guy was having sex with the girl who was a space vampire, and Rally said, "Oh Come on! It's the first rule of Space! Don't sleep with Space Vampires!!!!" My reply was, "Okay, I'm putting that in my signature."

Xero Kaiser
09-14-2006, 09:16 AM
It popped in my head at random, so I used it as my sig

DennyK
09-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I just really care how you're doin'.

Gosh, I didn't know you knew I even existed.

Winslow
09-14-2006, 09:35 AM
For the longest time I didn't have a signature.

and then in a moment of funny double entendre, Ed Cunard made a post that I think every message board poster could heed from time to time.

tricksterpup
09-14-2006, 03:38 PM
For the longest time I didn't have a signature.

and then in a moment of funny double entendre, Ed Cunard made a post that I think every message board poster could heed from time to time.
I can't help but have those 1 and 0's in my head. I heart my Winslow.

Citizen V
09-14-2006, 06:09 PM
Because I want to people to look at my webpage, darnit.

Ha,ha.Indeed,i have the same idea.

But my actual signature comes from the fact that sometimes i make posts,and some may be offended with it.My signature basically says why i speak the truth.

StoneGold
09-14-2006, 06:15 PM
It made me laugh once. And now, whenever I take it down, people complain that I change it. So I don't.

Frodo-X
09-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Mine is just one of my favorite panels of Astonishing X-men ever. I couldn't believe when I read it because it's exactly how I feel.

DubipR
09-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Right now, its my name. But I used to have a great quote from my Lord and Saviour, Nipsey Russell.

I have to dig up something related to my avatar.

DrewTheXenocide
09-14-2006, 08:15 PM
I heard it on Fraiser, while I was also taking Latin in school. It means, "Always where under where."

Royal
09-14-2006, 09:02 PM
I'm honoring one of my mentors.

Mike Pothier
09-14-2006, 09:32 PM
The first part of my sig has personal meaning to me.

The second... is self-explanatory.

Rabid Trekkie
09-15-2006, 05:14 AM
Sometimes I pick mine because I find a quote I really like, or in the case of my signature now it's to fit in with my Q avatar.

And the link is to stories my Grandpa told me about his life. I really need to add some more to that.

Forefinger
09-15-2006, 05:39 AM
It made me laugh once. And now, whenever I take it down, people complain that I change it. So I don't.
Blueberry are my favorite!

Naldo
09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
I've changed mine a few times. This quote is from Blazing Saddles and I think in print is actually a funnier line than when he says it in the film.

I just find it funny. I'll probably switch it out in the not too distant future with something that I find either funny, pithy, pertinent or impertinent.

:)

Jared H.
09-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I have my sig the way I do because the leagues/rpg threads I do are the only things here I seem to do well.

DennyK
09-15-2006, 02:50 PM
Sometimes I pick mine because I find a quote I really like, or in the case of my signature now it's to fit in with my Q avatar.

And the link is to stories my Grandpa told me about his life. I really need to add some more to that.

Hello Worf, eat any good books lately?

Rabid Trekkie
09-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Hello Worf, eat any good books lately?

That's one of my favorite lines. Also one of the ones I've used in greeting to certain people.

o1pickleboy
09-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Mine consists of a joke played off the Clique. My rival organization to overthrow the clique rule of CBR.

The second is until recentcy I was without internet. Only posting when at the libary and at my parents house.

The third is the messageboards I visit. They are small and lack members. So I thought I would advertise for them. I do the same for CBR in my sigs at those sites. I may have to update soon. It looks like Marvelboards is gone for good. I was holding on to make sure.

Fabian
09-16-2006, 06:06 PM
Mine is there because it's all true and I must rub my accolades in people's faces like it was my last money shot on earth.

Pheonix-NoRelation
09-16-2006, 08:06 PM
Mine right now is a part of a conversation I had with my friend. He was studying and asked me why everyone failed to invade Russia. So I replied:

(see signature)

Suzanne
09-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Lewis Black is one of my favorite comedians, and I thought the line in my signature was funny and had some truth to it.

jade_nova
12-13-2007, 03:11 PM
To revive an old thread.

My first signature is a toast my granfather would make. The one at the bottom is for my blog. I am such a whore. :)

BoosterBronze
12-13-2007, 03:19 PM
Mine is to painfully whore out my YouTube show about the Greatest Movies Ever Made!
(ROCKY IV now ON!)

sehthan
12-13-2007, 04:14 PM
For some reason, I actually enjoyed reading people's reasons for having once had sigs they no longer have.

Mine is shameless self-promotion. Watch our videos! And vote "Funny!"

DoctorDoom
12-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Death's Head, the freelance peacekeeping agent, is freakin' awesome.

Fenris
12-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Ha! I missed this the first time around.

My signature is the way it is because

a) I like the way that webdings can sorta/kinda make a wolf graphic.
b) A final, set-off remark gives me a feeling of closure for my posts. (Even when I can't think of anything especially profound to say.)

õ
Like... now, for instance!

Ben Morgan
12-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I want people to visit my site

I want people to ask me questions

I want people to check out my guitarist thread

I want people to check out my movie thread

mattx110
12-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I'm not an interesting person.

Paradox
12-13-2007, 10:19 PM
Hmmm...one's a link to my silly little City of Heroes site.

"Can it, you nit!" is my response to all the little entitled Veruca Salts out there (and they're EVERYWHERE on the web).

Another's usually a quote from here that I enjoyed, changing frequently (when I get around to it).

Then there's Kid Omega's character assessment of me. :)

Pól Rua
12-13-2007, 11:00 PM
The final quote in my signature came from when Rally and I were watching TV and were flipping through the chanels. The movie "Lifeforce" was playing on one of the chanels that we would flip through and one of the times we landed on it some guy was having sex with the girl who was a space vampire, and Rally said, "Oh Come on! It's the first rule of Space! Don't sleep with Space Vampires!!!!" My reply was, "Okay, I'm putting that in my signature."

WHAT? Did you SEE that Space Vampire!?
Ha-Cha-Wow-Wow!!!

Aaron Kashtan
12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
I want to warn people about the risk of being beaten to death with cricket bats.

Of course, this post will make no sense at all if I change my signature, which I could do very easily.

JDogindy
12-14-2007, 07:50 AM
The first line in my quote is one of my favorites from the show. The second line from the first manwha (Chinese-style manga).

The last was a quote from my closest CBR friend commenting on why music isn't a "Plot Device" anymore.

SOGG
12-15-2007, 08:10 PM
because I want everyone in cbr to witness tages' brilliant poetry.

Ben Morgan
12-15-2007, 08:29 PM
Tages was known as SomeOtherGreenGuy?

Kill cujo
12-15-2007, 11:13 PM
Because Gaara is awesome.
Because Cats need machetes.
And i am the Cowzekage.

Xevious
12-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Cause that big XII commercial my quote comes from kills me every time I see it.

The Beast Of Yucca Flats
12-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I mainly just go with stuff that amuses me, just as I have on every other board I've posted on. I tried a more serious (well, sorta) sig once-- in my very early (pre-CBR) posting days-- and it didn't really feel right.

And as for the origins of "Don't mess with the bull, or the bull will get you fired," there was an old episode of The Best Show On WFMU with Tom Scharpling where Tom was doing yet another mock "chat" with his long-time partner in terror, Jon Wurster-- and Wurster was playing the part of Tom's dad that time around. Tom's Daddy-- in the continuity of the recurring sketches-- is a not particularly bright opportunist always on the look-out for the next scheme or venture to make him rich that Tom's been ashamed of all his life. The line just came out from him towards the end of the "conversation," and while Tom was-- as you can imagine-- just groaning, "Roger" remarked about how that was catchy and he'd make a mint putting it on t-shirts or somesuch.

This particular sketch I think can only be heard in WFMU's Best Show archives, but the very first "Tom's Daddy" bit is available on one of Scharpling & Wuster's CD complations, New Hope For The Ape-Eared.

Magneto X
12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm very satisfied with how my sig has evolved.

Racial inclusion is important. It's a piece of America's soul that the Founders left out and it's reflected everywhere, even comics.