PDA

View Full Version : Favorite WHAT IF . . . ? Stories

Green Goblin
08-22-2006, 02:21 AM
What are your favioite what ifs mine are

What if spiderman keep his comsic powers , he defeates venom easily and convinces him to be a hero and goes after the hobgoblin instead , he even gets a happy end as he loses all his powers , then he retires and have a babby

Another one like is What if daredevil had killed the king pin this is an excellent storyline and way that daredevil goes out is done wonderful

so what are your favioite what ifs

moonknight2099
08-22-2006, 05:04 AM
My favorite one is the What If about Atlantis Attacks. In that one all the heroes lost, it was cool seeing it play out.

Zombienorthstar
08-22-2006, 05:23 AM
I did enjoy the last What If? wher ewe saw the heroes not returning from Secret War...settling down and having children.

OdinSon1
08-22-2006, 06:49 AM
I always loved #24 of the second series with Wolverine becoming Lord of the Vampires. It was cool to see the Punisher gain access to all of Dr. Strange's Sanctum Sanctorium and modify all of his weaponry using silver bullets, holy water pistols, flash bang grenades, ans my personal favorite silver lined gloves.

The follow up a few issues laterwhich saw Wolverine defeating the Punisher was cool, because it allowed him to be used as one of Uatu and the Time Variance Authority's team to stop Immortus from rearranging reality. The other members were from other Alternate realities, an Irondroid of Earth 90110, Thor of Earth 9260, Doctor Doom of Earth 772, and the Lord of the Vampires Wolverine of Earth 9250.

Good articles on each event are available at:
http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/earthwolverinelovpundefeat.htm - Punisher defeated by Vampire Wolverine.

http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/earthwolverinelovpundefeat.htm - Punisher triumphant over the Vampires.

marshal99
08-22-2006, 08:20 AM
What if Vol.2

What if issue 4 - What if the alien costume had possessed spider-man , one of the early mark bagley spider-man art
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/95078701518.4.gif

What if issue 6 - What if the x-men lost inferno , really great Ron Lim art for this one.
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/95078701518.6.gif

What if issue 24 - what if Wolverine was lord of the vampires , i like the story though the art by Tom Morgan was weak.
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/95078701518.24.gif

What if issue 25 - what if the marvel superheroes lost atlantis attacks , cool art by Rik Levins , cool story.
http://image.milehighcomics.com/istore/images/large/95078701518.25.gif

Erik Lehnsherr
08-22-2006, 08:25 AM
What If Magneto ruled the world in #85. Even with everything at his feet, the world around him is never happy.

DoctorDoom
08-22-2006, 09:26 AM
WHat if Spider-man was possessed by the alien costume? Sad ending, excellent story.

dingo
08-22-2006, 09:36 AM
I quite liked the "What if the Fantastic Fours second child lived?" one. Captain America in the second story was particularly good, if somewhat different to Civil War cap.

Leebenhouse
08-22-2006, 10:14 AM
What If vol. 1 #4, What if the Invaders stayed together after WWII?

Gotta love the only 100% in -616 continuity What if tale.

Roy Thomas wrote it as a fill in as well as to fix continuity explainging why Cap was around late in WWII, even though he was on ice by then. Got rid of an Invaders character too with it.

Nesteaman
08-22-2006, 10:43 AM
what if Captain America formed the Avengers.

Markavian
08-22-2006, 12:38 PM
What if The Avengers Lost to Korvac,it showed the worst possible outcome if they had not stopped the mad man God and his plans.:cool:

Jeff-E
08-22-2006, 02:33 PM
What If... The Superhero's lost Atlantis Attacks? Best what if ever! I always liked the bleak what if's it's just cool to see the bad guys win for a change. Even if it is out of continuity. What If... The Avengers Lost Operation Galactic Storm rocked also, but I'm a sucker for the Kree...... KREE COME TAKE ME AWAY!!!

Siddon
08-22-2006, 02:49 PM
What If... The Superhero's lost Atlantis Attacks? Best what if ever! I always liked the bleak what if's it's just cool to see the bad guys win for a change. Even if it is out of continuity. What If... The Avengers Lost Operation Galactic Storm rocked also, but I'm a sucker for the Kree...... KREE COME TAKE ME AWAY!!!

Second vote for Galactic Storm, that was a What If epic. The Spider-girl issue is maybe the greatest single issue ever because it launched some of the best characters Marvel had written in 20 years. The last issue was good because so many of those Avengers where huge brats. The final issue I would put on the list is Jubilee vs Sabertooth which is one of the few issues that actually had me on the edge of my seat. Its kind of sad how cool some characters and stories can be when they aren't safe.

Lord S
08-22-2006, 03:06 PM
My absolute favourite is #15 (2nd series, I think): What If the Fantastic Four lost the Trial of Galactus? That was pretty amazing!

What if The Avengers Lost to Korvac,it showed the worst possible outcome if they had not stopped the mad man God and his plans.:cool: You mean 'What if the Avengers became pawns of Korvac', right? Yeah that was pretty good...except for the LT bit. That was kind of stupid.

What If... The Avengers Lost Operation Galactic Storm rocked also, but I'm a sucker for the Kree...... KREE COME TAKE ME AWAY!!! Yeah that was pretty good as well...it was shocking to see the Kree just destroy the Earth so easily, without any second thought.

I'll also add that #81, (What if AoA Had Not Ended), was kind of a fun read...even though some of it was just so idiotic, (Wolverine gutting the Silver Surfer, and Galactus actually dying at the hands of mutants). Just totally absurd, but entertaining.

I have a bunch of others that I haven't even read yet...

What If:
Magneto took over the USA
Phoenix had not died (pt 1,2)
Captain Marvel had not died
X-Men lost Inferno

Are any of these good?

OdinSon1
08-22-2006, 03:25 PM
I forgot to mention "What if the Symbiote possesed the Punisher?" in my above post. Very cool to see the way Castle used the symbiote to form firearms, which I didn't think it could, but I guess its Frank so why not.

However the coolest part about that story was seeing Castle bend the symbiote into obedience, at least temporarily, and vowing that should he ever lose control he wouldn't hesitate to kill himself, then flying off making the symbiote form wings. Very cool stuff, and a cool team up between Spidey, DD and Moon Knight.

Conversly, my least favorite What If also involved the Venom symbiote. When it possesed the Hulk, then was defeated by Thor, then latched onto Thor. The symbiote being able to latch onto the Hulk just seemed farfetched because of the rage of the Hulk. It always seemed like the symbiote wanted to attach itself to detatched, yet logical beings, who couldn't overpower it. The Hulk's mental savagery just seemed like it would scare the symbiote off.

Then seeing the symbiote latch onto Thor and control him seemed like too desperate of a stretch, even for a What If. The whole story always wanted to much suspension of belief within Marvel canon and it just annoyed me.

Jeff-E
08-22-2006, 04:28 PM
I have a bunch of others that I haven't even read yet...

What If:
Magneto took over the USA
Phoenix had not died (pt 1,2)
Captain Marvel had not died
X-Men lost Inferno

Are any of these good?

YES!! They all are! Magneto taking over the USA, wasn't that a 2 parter linking with a issue with Cable? Another good one, or two, What If... Stryfe and Apocalypse killed the XMen? and What If... Archangel never shook off Apoc's influence (the later was towards the end of the series after they got rid of Uatu.. BIG MISTAKE! but still an awesome story)

Kaliman
08-22-2006, 04:31 PM
my favorit and first comic ever read
What if marvel universe lost evolutionary war

Kyle_Ion
08-22-2006, 05:20 PM
One of my favorite What If story is

What If Tony Stark "Iron Man" Was Dr. Strange

Speaking of what if, I have a friend who says that there was a what if comic book where magneto was the herald of galactus, but then my friend is never reliable and never does know what he's talking about.

DDM
08-22-2006, 05:35 PM
What If...(volume 1)

What If #1...Spider-Man Joined The Fantastic Four?
What If #9...The Avengers Formed In The 1950's?
What If #40...Doctor Strange Had Not Become the Master of the Mystic Arts?
What If #18...Doctor Strange Were A Disciple of Dormammu?
What If #27...Phoenix Had Not Died?

GozertheGozarian
08-22-2006, 10:00 PM
What If....Nuke had Survived and Avengers become pawns of Korvac.

stillanerd
08-22-2006, 10:12 PM
Some of these have already been mentioned but mine are:

1. What If Phoenix Never Died? (especially since it actually tied into "Days of Future Past)
2. What If the Symbiote Possessed the Punisher?
3. What If Wolverine lead Alpha Flight?
4. What If the Punisher became Captain America?
5. What If Spider-Man married the Black Cat? (instead of Mary Jane)

riftt
08-22-2006, 10:20 PM
I also always liked the double-sized issue about the daughter of Reed and Sue Richards...will she save the world...or destroy it? Also What If Iron Man Had Lost The Armor Wars? since it was my first what if? Also there was one, I forget the issue where in the end Uata stepped in and fought Galactus, eventually dying

And the what if galactic storm issue is being collected in the avengers galactic storm tpb vol. 2 coming out in november.

sorry...had to go and look them up and now the memories are flooding back:

What If...The Hulk Went Berserk? from the first series has an incredible cover and the story is good as hulk kills half the MU before thor takes him down

the two parter what if cap had led an army of super soldiers in ww2 was a cool one

Goldenbane
08-22-2006, 11:03 PM
I'm surpised at the number of folks who liked What if the symbiote had possessed Spiderman, as I thought that one was really stupid...

SPOILERS

Instead of seeing Spiderman kick ass as Venom, he's in the book for about 3 pages before being killed off. :rolleyes:

End Spoilers

My favorites however were; What if Spiderman kept his six arms, What if JJJ had adopted Spiderman, What if the Hulk killed Wolverine and what if Thor didn't go insane and became lord of Asgard.

Captain WOW
08-23-2006, 01:53 AM
The first comic I ever read was What IF Captain America won World War II, I can't really remember much of the story but I do remember enjoying it.

Most of the other What If's I read were all around the mid-nineties when everything was all about AoA and the X-Men. I really liked What If Rogue absorbed Thor's powers (not sure of the exact title). And I found The What If? that featured the Juggernaut being one of the last men left on Earth very eery.

Erik Lehnsherr
08-23-2006, 07:26 AM
They need to bring this book back.

90'sCartoonMan
08-23-2006, 01:27 PM
YES!! They all are! Magneto taking over the USA, wasn't that a 2 parter linking with a issue with Cable?

What If Cable Destroyed The X-Men? One of the first comics I ever bought, it was pretty cool. Scott, Jean, and Xavier really are the heart of the team.

I also liked What If the FF all had the same powers (4 stories), what if the FF's second child had lived, the Spider-Girl What If, and that strange What If where Rogue absorbs Gambit and it turns out they're all living in comic books.

I forgot how awesome What Ifs are. Is there some sort of collection of them, or an Essentials, maybe?

O'Blivion
08-24-2006, 12:50 PM
The '50s Avengers, the heroes lose Inferno (for the sheer carnage), the alternate Fantastic Four (Big Brain, Ultrawoman, Dragonfly and Mandroid), Spider-Man killed by Kraven and many more, really.

Mo S.
08-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Also the Galactic Storm What-If in which the earth is destroyed and things go very wrong.

The Jay Faerber (Noble Causes) written #114 - the one that features the kids of the heroes who were stranded on the Battleworld at the end of the first Secret Wars.

matt levin
08-25-2006, 05:56 AM
I didn't much like this series, as it almost always seem to end each issue with, what if?/even-so, things work out the same.

I'm not much of a Conan fan, either, although I do now get the main series of the several new Conan titles.

All that said... MY favorite What If? story--and I'm so surprised it seems to've received no mention yet!-- was What if Conan [were in/came to] the 20th Century? it remainded true to Conan's character, and true to 'real NYC life' as well, made it all work, and work out logically.

Matt

Joey Friday
08-25-2006, 07:55 AM
Everyone here seems to pick What If's from volume 2. I like volume 1:
What if the Avengers defeated everybody?
What if the Avengers hadn't stayed together?
What if the Fantastic Four had different powers?
What if somene else had become Spiderman?
What if the original marvel bullpen became the Fantastic Four?

agrich
08-25-2006, 08:05 AM
Everyone here seems to pick What If's from volume 2. I like volume 1:
What if the Avengers defeated everybody?
What if the Avengers hadn't stayed together?
What if the Fantastic Four had different powers?
What if somene else had become Spiderman?
What if the original marvel bullpen became the Fantastic Four?

I was going to say the same thing. The first series was a whole lot better. The second series (IMO) was filled with "ideas" that were mostly insignificant. I mean really, What If Death's Head I had Lived? Good grief. It was stuff like that that just seemed to ignore the premise of the series - subtle alterations in momentous Marvel events. In much of Volume II it just seemed to be about throwing in as many X-Men characters as humanly possible, regardless of whether the premise was any good or not.

What If the Avengers had Never Been (#3) remains one of my favorite comics of all time.

BloodstoneFreak
09-01-2006, 07:54 PM
My favorites have to be:

What If #20-21 where Peter doesn't marry Mary Jane but Felicia Hardy

and

What If #29 where Cap forms the Avengers years before the original team

I need to read those issues again and maybe try to collect the entire series...the What If comics were always fun.

Nomad
09-01-2006, 08:32 PM
What if...? Doctor Doom was a Hero

and of course Wolverine as lord of the vampires was great, too.

StoneGold
09-01-2006, 08:33 PM
What If? Vol. 1 #44, What if Captain America were revived today?

Cap stays frozen on ice too long, so when the 1950s crazy Cap gets released from suspended animation, he thinks he is the real Cap, goes all evil crazy and makes America a neo-fascist state. Cap gets revived today, joins up with Nick Fury, Spider-Man, and a black militant Snap Wilson to take back America. Great stuff. I have no idea who the writer, Peter Gillis, is, but it featured some amazing art by Sal Buscema.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/211/475/1600/scan0006.0.jpg

Kinbote
09-01-2006, 09:43 PM
I have lots of favorites really, its hard for me to say if any one single issue was my favorite. Some more than others, but most are as follows:

From the first series:
#1 What if Spiderman joined the Fantastic Four?
#2 What if the Hulk had the brain of Bruce Banner? (a top fav of mine)
#11 What if the origional Marvel Bullpen had become the Fantastic Four?
#13 What if Conan walked the Earth today? (a top fav of mine)
#19 What if Spiderman had never become a crime fighter?
#22 What if Dr. Doom had become a hero? (a top fav of mine)
#23 What if the Hulk had become a barbarian?
#29 What if the Avengers defeated everybody?
#31 What if Wolverine had killed the Hulk? (a top fav of mine)
#32 What if the Avengers became pawns of Korvac? (a top fav of mine)
#39 What if Thor battled Conan?
#43 What if Conan were stranded in the 20th century?

From the second series:
#4 What if the Alien costume had possessed Spiderman?
#5 What if the Vision had destroyed the Avengers?
#13 What if Prof X had become the Juggernaut? (a top fav of mine)
#14 What if Capt Marvel had not died?
#15 What if the Fantastic Four lost the trials of Galactus?
#16 What if Conan battled Wolverine?
#19 What if Vision conquered the World?
#22 What if Silver Surfer had not escaped Earth? (a top fav of mine)
#24 What if Wolverine was Lord of the Vampires?
#25 What if the Marvel Superheros lost Atlantis attacks?
#31 What if Spiderman had kept his cosmic powers? (a top fav of mine)
#39 What if the Watcher saved the Universe? (a top fav of mine)
#41 What if the Avengers had fought Galactus? (a top fav of mine)
#42 What if Spiderman had kept his six arms? (cheesy story, awesome cover)
#44 What if Venom had possessed the Punisher? (a top fav of mine)
#50 What if the Hulk had killed Wolverine? (a top fav of mine)
#52 What if Doom became Sorcerer Supreme?
#66 What if Rogue possessed the power of Thor? (a top fav of mine)
#70 What if the Silver Surfer had not betrayed Galactus?(a top fav of mine)
#71 What if the gamma bomb spawned 1,000 Hulks? (the title says it all)
#76 What if Peter Parker had to detroy Spiderman?
They lose something after #76, good stories, but nothing special. Untill...
#105 What if Spider-Girl? (a top fav of mine)
#114 What if the Secret Wars, 25 years later? (a top fav of mine)

I'd love for them to bring back What if, but I don't mind waiting really. It just means more material to build up to put out a good series. Imagine all the What if's they can make out of Civil War, Annihilation, Planet Hulk, the Other and so on. Perhaps some What if Marvel Zombie stories, that I'd like to see. :)

moon knight
09-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I liked #34 v.1. I dont remember what it was called, but it was a lot of little funny what ifs.

Green Goblin
08-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Just read what if Magneto took over the USA part two and what if Mr sinster had formed the X-men both were really good. I'm suprized they didn't doi a what if acts of vemtemce had suceeded

Kirayoshi
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I know it's not cool to mention anything pencilled by Rob Leifeld, but "What If Wolverine Became an Agent of SHIELD?" was actually a cool story(Leifeld only did finishes over Jim Valentino's layouts, so it wasn't as bad as his regular work).
Nick Fury recruits Logan right after his first encounter with the Hulk, to clear out LMD Hydra spies that had infiltrated SHIELD, and later convince him to become a full-time agent. When a Strucker LMD kills Fury later in the story, Logan becomes SHIELD's director, using his newfound political clout to stop government funding of Steven Lang's Sentinel project(the X-Men don't wind up on the moon and Jean never becomes Phoenix), and discredit Senator Kelly(averting Days of Future Past).

Also, "What if Vision Destroyed The Avengers?" by Valentino;
Wonder Man didn't 'die' in Avengers #8, but instead became the powerhouse of Cap's rebuilt team. He and Wanda end up falling in love, driving Pietro to join with Magneto. When Magneto kills Pietro, Wanda avenges him. After she and Simon get married, Ultron builds the Vision android and ends up inhabiting it himself, laying a serious smack-down on the team.

StoneGold
08-27-2007, 10:37 PM
I know it's not cool to mention anything pencilled by Rob Leifeld, but "What If Wolverine Became an Agent of SHIELD?" was actually a cool story(Leifeld only did finishes over Jim Valentino's layouts, so it wasn't as bad as his regular work).
Nick Fury recruits Logan right after his first encounter with the Hulk, to clear out LMD Hydra spies that had infiltrated SHIELD, and later convince him to become a full-time agent. When a Strucker LMD kills Fury later in the story, Logan becomes SHIELD's director, using his newfound political clout to stop government funding of Steven Lang's Sentinel project(the X-Men don't wind up on the moon and Jean never becomes Phoenix), and discredit Senator Kelly(averting Days of Future Past).

Also, "What if Vision Destroyed The Avengers?" by Valentino;
Wonder Man didn't 'die' in Avengers #8, but instead became the powerhouse of Cap's rebuilt team. He and Wanda end up falling in love, driving Pietro to join with Magneto. When Magneto kills Pietro, Wanda avenges him. After she and Simon get married, Ultron builds the Vision android and ends up inhabiting it himself, laying a serious smack-down on the team.
I don't think you have to put spoilers on stories over a decade old.

Kirayoshi
08-28-2007, 12:40 AM
I don't think you have to put spoilers on stories over a decade old.
I was erring on the side of caution.

Oh, and while I know I'm in the minority here, I really liked Claremont's 2004 What If, where Magneto joined Xavier's camp. Gotta love punk Kitty.