PDA

View Full Version : All-purpose G.I. JOE Movie (live action)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

PsychoGoatee
08-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I saw this movie twice over the weekend, I love it. Very fun flick. :cool:

Rachel Nichols is amazingly hot and awesome as Scarlett, I enjoyed Marlon Wayans as Ripcord as well. Miller and Lee were very entertaining as Baroness and Storm Shadow, very fun villains. And of course Snake Eyes rocked.

Pretty much, fun over-the-top cheesy, in a good way, action movie. Can't wait for the sequel.

Sean Walsh
08-12-2009, 06:58 PM
.......ok, am I the only person who didn't mind the SFX and thought they were actually pretty decent??

There was one shot - Baroness, Duke and Storm Shadow getting off the ship at the Arctic base - that looked fake. But everything else looked good....

:confused:

regnak
08-12-2009, 07:47 PM
.......ok, am I the only person who didn't mind the SFX and thought they were actually pretty decent??

There was one shot - Baroness, Duke and Storm Shadow getting off the ship at the Arctic base - that looked fake. But everything else looked good....

I had no problems with the SFX either.

lonewolf23k
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I wouldn't say it made "perfect sense." Why was a nanomite missile necessary at all for that operation? A perfectly ordinary missile would have accomplished the same end of getting the players where they wanted them, and would have preserved one more ultra-expensive nanomite package for future use.

But then someone would obviously ask "Why didn't Cobra use their nanomite missile to attack the White House, when they used them on every other target?"

lonewolf23k
08-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Considering the Baroness being a brainwashing victim, I can accept the idea under one condition...

...In the sequel, it's revealed the brainwashing left her with a split personality, and now the evil side is taking over again.

SMARTASS8
08-13-2009, 07:24 AM
The Paris scene won't be the same on a smaller screen. Takes the OMG-LOL! factor out of seeing Duke and Ripcord repeatedly getting shot, crashing into cars and getting hit by others.

Spieldberg's pitch was 'it's the story of a boy and his car'. Enough said.

A boy so close to his "sentient" car that he'll lie on on top of him making out with his new girlfriend.:rolleyes: If I didn't already hate the movie, that scene was enough to change my mind.

SMARTASS8
08-13-2009, 07:27 AM

I noticed it, but it didn't ruin the movie for me. There are a ton of movies I grew up watching in the 1980's that I still love even though, by today's standards, the FX looks like it was made by a high school student.

maczero
08-13-2009, 08:08 AM
The weird thing is that this movie changed more of the lore than Bay's 2 Transformers movies did, but it still felt more respectful and closer to its original source than either of the God awful TF movies did. I may be alone, but I actually liked some of the changes made even though I was pissed off when I first read about them. I love that Cobra Commander is now a psychotic genius instead of an irate car salesman or a member of a giant snake cult.I liked most of the changes as well.

.......ok, am I the only person who didn't mind the SFX and thought they were actually pretty decent??That scene with Snake-Eyes on top of the SUV avoiding flying cars was pretty bad.

Ragnorok64
08-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Seriously, the sinking Ice didn't get to anyone else?

TShark82
08-13-2009, 08:51 AM
I was cringing when the "nice shoes" line came up in the trailer :redface:

Yet no review (by the more fanboyish sites) even mentioned how they butchered The Baroness :confused:

Ultimate fail:redface:

I would have expected the fanboys to pick up on that,if any character had to be done right it was Baroness.

Sean Walsh
08-13-2009, 08:58 AM

Wasn't there a whole base atop the ice too, not to mention these giant tunnels attached to it all?

Ragnorok64
08-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Wasn't there a whole base atop the ice too, not to mention these giant tunnels attached to it all?

Not nearly enough metal was shown in that ice to cause it to sink like it did and crush the base.

Hoss
08-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Seriously, just to clarify -

We are talking about the same GI Joe based on the toys that had characters play up a cultural stereotypes (Japanese ninja - Japanes American Samurai - Indian tracker), had characters with code names like "Ice-Cream Soldier" -"Skid Mark" and "Starduster", were trained by a professional wrestler, and featured vehicles like The Cobra HISS and Pogo?

RolandJP
08-13-2009, 08:23 PM
I was mad they didnt sing... Were Cold SLiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiither......

lonewolf23k
08-14-2009, 04:50 AM
I was mad they didnt sing... Were Cold SLiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiither......

They're obviously saving that for the introduction of the Dreadnoks. They should get a rock band to write a full cover version of the song for it.

dumbstruck
08-14-2009, 05:59 AM
Saw this last night. For what it was, it was fun. It was cheesy, and the movie knew it was cheesy. It wasn't taking itself seriously. There were some cringe worthy bits. "Nice shoes" and Dennis Quaid seemed to be hamming it up to no end, but overall, it was fun.

Arachnid
08-14-2009, 06:09 AM

I was thinking about that when that happened too.

My first thought was, "Ice isn't supposed to do that... right?".

titanfan
08-14-2009, 08:01 AM

If Cobra had enough resources to build a base on the bottom of the arctic, they had enough to make sure the ice above it was extra dense so that the auto destruct button would cause the ice to sink and destroy the base!

This is from a villain organization who wanted Nanite Missiles--which were capable of taking out a city--only slower and less dangerous than an ordinary nuclear warhead or whatever.

BrodieBruce
08-14-2009, 12:33 PM
The only flashback I really liked is when Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow have their showdown in the Pit; there is this quick cut to them fighting as children. The look on Storm Shadowís face when he recognizes Snake Eyes just sold the moment for me.

PsychoGoatee
08-15-2009, 04:57 PM
It's a bit early, but I demand more sequel buzz, asap. :cool:

pariah-1972
08-15-2009, 05:16 PM
I'm glad that despite the bad buzz/publicity that most people enjoyed it for what it is.

Tish-the-Scorpion
08-15-2009, 10:07 PM
the movie was exactly what i feared it to be, cheesy and inexcusably bad. the sci-fi stuff they gt right, everything else was a horrible disaster.....*ugh*. even on it's own terms it's just a bad movie.

Sighphi
08-15-2009, 11:21 PM

Seriously no one googled to see if this was IN FACT something possible?

lonewolf23k
08-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Just saw it today. It wasn't as bad as I feared, but it could've been better.

-I was surprised to find myself not hating Ripcord after all. A pretty decent character.

-The equipment and vehicules were cool, but with all the CGI at their disposal, they could've made many more of them look like revamps of the old toys.

-The reboot backstory for all the characters didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. Still, a Baroness who turns good at the end? I'm definetly hoping she turns Bad again in the sequal. And ends up with Destro (shameless Baroness/Destro 'shipper).

-Didn't care for the Neo-Vipers' "Army of Two" rip-off costumes. Or at least use the maks in combination with the classic helmet style.

-REALLY didn't care for Cobra Commander's final costume. I mean, Christ, who designed that mask!? And why the Hell was it semi-transparent?! Would it have killed them to design something more classic? Or at least less Ugly?

All in all, though, it was a decent action movie. Let's hope they fix the bugs in the sequel.

...GI Joe Resolute was much better though. :cool:

titanfan
08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
-The reboot backstory for all the characters didn't annoy me as much as I thought it would. Still, a Baroness who turns good at the end? I'm definetly hoping she turns Bad again in the sequal. And ends up with Destro (shameless Baroness/Destro 'shipper).

It could easily be all part of their master plan to infiltrate the Joe team. Sure it seems ridiculously complicated, but Cobra went through all of that just to infiltrate the Presidency, so who knows?

Melchior
08-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Considering the Baroness being a brainwashing victim, I can accept the idea under one condition...

...In the sequel, it's revealed the brainwashing left her with a split personality, and now the evil side is taking over again.

My idea? The Baroness is asked to listen to an interrogation of Destro or Cobra Commander (preferably Destro), in an attempt to figure out what some vague threats might mean. Unfortunately for the Joes, the mind-control nanomites get rebooted due to a secret command word. In the case of Destro, it might be one he does not even know about.

The Baroness is then responsible for breaking the pair out of the Pit, and connecting back up with Storm Shadow (if you don't keep the dead body, it ain't stayin' dead), and starting whatever plan they have with Zartan.

Anyway, not the best movie in the world, but very accomplished on the "fun" front.

Though the Commander seriously needs a new mask.

FistofIron
08-16-2009, 03:00 PM
The movie was fun and hopefully the next one will be better. I agree about Cobra Commander's mask it could really use some work. They could've done without the Darth Vader voice to. The voice he had before he put on the mask was awesome.

ddqfpluskick
08-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Reinvention is not something I frown upon, but at times I felt the movie was trying to create a balance story at the cost to character. I know they had to shift from the Vietnam influence history and I know the 1980s are over. However, they changed too much. Snake Eyes I think was the biggest reason for these changes. I think they didn't want him connected to the The Baroness, Scarlett, and Stormshadow all at the same time. However they could have made some changes without altering The Baroness persona. FInally the death of Covergirl was down right cruel to the character. In short they turned her into a redshirt or greenshirt. Finally Sgt. Stone role felt way to exposed. It was as if they were trying too hard to get Brendan Fraser in there.

SMARTASS8
08-16-2009, 05:00 PM
FInally the death of Covergirl was down right cruel to the character. In short they turned her into a redshirt or greenshirt.

I know that surviving being impaled is next to impossible, but did they actually say in the movie that Cover Girl was dead(I've heard that she was killed in the novel adaptation, but that already has other differences with the movie)?

lonewolf23k
08-16-2009, 05:23 PM
I know that surviving being impaled is next to impossible, but did they actually say in the movie that Cover Girl was dead(I've heard that she was killed in the novel adaptation, but that already has other differences with the movie)?

Well, for most people, having a large blade going from inside your back, through your heart and out your chest, is usually considered quite lethal.

Jared
08-16-2009, 05:26 PM
What was Snake-Eyes' connection to the Baroness in the comics?

SMARTASS8
08-16-2009, 05:31 PM
Well, for most people, having a large blade going from inside your back, through your heart and out your chest, is usually considered quite lethal.

I didn't notice it was through her heart. I will say that for someone who is supposedly a model, "Cover Girl" was the "ugliest" female in the movie.

ddqfpluskick
08-16-2009, 09:45 PM
What was Snake-Eyes' connection to the Baroness in the comics?

For years she believed that he had caused the death of her brother. Snake Eyes actually killed her brother's killers but when she came upon the seen Snake Eyes was the only one standing. She was taking away before a young Destro (before he wore the mask) proved that it was not Snake Eyes who did it.

1) The fact Zartan mocks Stormshadow about killing women.
2) The fact Hawk is the only one shown in the surgery/recovery room

moonknight11
08-16-2009, 09:51 PM
Ice floats.

That is all.

TShark82
08-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Any villains you think they should have included in the film or are surprised they left out.

BYC
08-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Firefly.

Dr. Mindbender is mentioned, but I seriously doubt he'll be in the next one. The Commander already fills that role.

And I want to see some televipers' face right before they get punched/shot like "Oh shi-" :biggrin:

G. Wayne
08-17-2009, 12:00 PM
...Dr. Mindbender is mentioned, but I seriously doubt he'll be in the next one. The Commander already fills that role.
...:

Still can't believe they called Mindbender by that name.

That Mindbender, always knew there was something wrong with that kid!

ddqfpluskick
08-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Any villains you think they should have included in the film or are surprised they left out.

Well I felt the fact the Dreadnoks aren't mentioned and Zartan seems more like a gun for hire than a man who has his own organization.

Tomax and Xamot were absent, but they maybe in sequels.

Hoping to see Firefly he's seem like a real nasty

Sighphi
08-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Ice floats.

That is all.

Not all ice floats.
More to come.

regnak
08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Not all ice floats.
More to come.

Actually when I saw the movie a second time I noticed something. They was a large grey/black shape on top of the ice that hit the Cobra base. Apparently they weighted some ice so it would sink.

noh-varr
08-17-2009, 10:37 PM
I tried watching this tonight. I made it through 50 minutes before I gave up. I don't understand the big future weapons EVERYONE has. GI Joe had lasers yeah, but that was to give kids an illusion they weren't the same machine guns they LOOKED like. The action scenes were meh, the special effects looked horrible, and sadly District 9 with a fraction of the budget looked more real. The Duke/Baroness storyline felt forced to keep Duke around in the plot, and well I could go on. I just didn't CARE about a single damn character in the movie. When the only reason I'm watching a flick is because Baroness looked hot (except when she was a blonde) it is time to give in and watch something else. Resolute was a thousand times better and felt more live action then this one. They used GUNS, bullets were fired, not laser weapons. I don't care that they changed things, I understand and want some variety in adaptations, but make me care about something, please.

TShark82
08-18-2009, 09:09 AM
Well I felt the fact the Dreadnoks aren't mentioned and Zartan seems more like a gun for hire than a man who has his own organization.

Tomax and Xamot were absent, but they maybe in sequels.

Hoping to see Firefly he's seem like a real nasty

The backstory of how Zartan was hired by Cobra to assasinate Snake Eyes that would make for a cool film. I like the Dreadnoks shame they got ignored they were a cool alterntative to CC people,do you think they should include Zandar and Road Pig.

Firefly.

Dr. Mindbender is mentioned, but I seriously doubt he'll be in the next one. The Commander already fills that role.

And I want to see some televipers' face right before they get punched/shot like "Oh shi-" :biggrin:

Two votes for Firefly, I dont see Dr Mindbender making a return either theirs so many villians they could use that were left out in the first film.

Sighphi
08-18-2009, 09:25 AM
Actually when I saw the movie a second time I noticed something. They was a large grey/black shape on top of the ice that hit the Cobra base. Apparently they weighted some ice so it would sink.

Hell, one would think that Cobra was smart enough NOT to have a tremendously small sheet of ice to cover their secret base, that cobra would have some sort radar/heat/etc/etc bouncing substance to hide them.I guess a lot of people here dont think like megalomaniac villains.

Nate Grey
08-18-2009, 01:53 PM
This thread still gets activity. Awesome. :)

Dr. Mindbender in a white neru and shaved head in the sequel would be awesome. CC's a scientist, but he's second to Dr. Mindbender, apparently. A close second. And besides, why should a leader do all the work. i.e., Skeletor keeping Evil-Lyn around. Plus, with Mindbender around, Serpentor showing up in part 3 (minus any Cobra-La connections) would make sense.

Tomax and Xamot, played by 7th Heaven's Jeremy London (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0518718/) and his twin Jason London (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0518715/) seem kinda obvious to me.

ddqfpluskick
08-18-2009, 06:06 PM
The backstory of how Zartan was hired by Cobra to assasinate Snake Eyes that would make for a cool film. I like the Dreadnoks shame they got ignored they were a cool alterntative to CC people,do you think they should include Zandar and Road Pig.

Two votes for Firefly, I dont see Dr Mindbender making a return either theirs so many villians they could use that were left out in the first film.

Well depends how the next movie plays out. I mean even with the president replace knowledge of the world largest weapons manufacturer is a terrorist bent on world domination will put a dent in MARS profit margine. Dreadnocks could be employed as a branch that cobra can influence to distract the JOEs. Though they wouldn't be as drawn out as other characters.

Jared
08-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Xomat and Tomax, I imagine, would be twin acrobat/parkour type mercs. The last time I saw a London on screen, he was looking rather chubby.

I'd like to see Major Blood. It's really tough to imagine how Storm Shadow could have survived. Even if the wounds somehow didn't kill him (and remember, it's Snake Eyes, he knows how to kill), he fell in freezing water, in a base that then was crushed.

I remember when Devils Due relaunched Joe several years back, CC had some plot involving nanite weapons, and he was reuniting with the Dreadnoks. Destro had a great line, "You have access to the most devestating weapon in history, and your plan is to merge with a biker gang and take over the world?!" I hope they work that in.

Melchior
08-18-2009, 09:05 PM
I'd like to see Major Blood. It's really tough to imagine how Storm Shadow could have survived. Even if the wounds somehow didn't kill him (and remember, it's Snake Eyes, he knows how to kill), he fell in freezing water, in a base that then was crushed.

I thought it was Major Bludd?

Anyway, as for Storm Shadow surviving:

He was stabbed by Snake Eyes, fell in freezing water in/right by the base, then the base was crushed. And no body was recovered.

Honestly, I find it more likely that he survived with all that happening to him then if only one happened to him. You know, the more overdone the death scene, the less likely it will work type situation.

Hoss
08-19-2009, 04:55 AM
Honestly, I find it more likely that he survived with all that happening to him then if only one happened to him. You know, the more overdone the death scene, the less likely it will work type situation.

Then Prince Namerrrrr - Major Blood - finds a bunch of Eskimos worshiping Storm Shadow frozen in a block of ice and the supersolderrr - nanites - in his blood work as anitfreeze.

Sean Walsh
08-19-2009, 07:52 AM
Tomax and Xamot, played by 7th Heaven's Jeremy London (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0518718/) and his twin Jason London (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0518715/) seem kinda obvious to me.

Or how about Nicholas Brendon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Brendon) and Kelly Donovan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelly_Donovan)?

Methinks the movie could get some serious geek love if they hired Xander Harris to play Tomax and Xamot. :wink: :biggrin:

anavrin0901
08-22-2009, 01:40 PM
I wrote a quick review on my first screening of the movie if anyone is interested.

Thanks for reading!

Brianís Delicious DLP Screening of G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (http://whysoblu.com/?p=2015)

Nate Grey
08-22-2009, 10:09 PM
I didn't read the novelization, but I did read the comic book adaptation. Right before Snake Eyes killed him, Storm Shadow said he didn't kill their master. Obviously Snake Eyes didn't believe him and killed him anyway.

I don't know if this was filmed or not, but I think that's an interesting twist. It would mean Storm Shadow became a villain for a different reason, cause not only did his master turn on him (in his mind), but now everyone will cause they think he killed him.

Since Snake Eyes still didn't speak at the end, maybe a part of him knows this? Don't know. But when Storm Shadow comes back in the sequel I hope this plot point is brought up and explored. Heck, maybe they'll use some of the comic continuity and keep Zartan as the real killer.

BYC
08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I didn't read the novelization, but I did read the comic book adaptation. Right before Snake Eyes killed him, Storm Shadow said he didn't kill their master. Obviously Snake Eyes didn't believe him and killed him anyway.

I don't know if this was filmed or not, but I think that's an interesting twist. It would mean Storm Shadow became a villain for a different reason, cause not only did his master turn on him (in his mind), but now everyone will cause they think he killed him.

Since Snake Eyes still didn't speak at the end, maybe a part of him knows this? Don't know. But when Storm Shadow comes back in the sequel I hope this plot point is brought up and explored. Heck, maybe they'll use some of the comic continuity and keep Zartan as the real killer.
In the comics, Storm Shadow didn't kill Hard Master, so the novelization stayed true to the comics.

In the comics, Storm Shadow joined Cobra to find out who actually killed Hard Master.

drwho
08-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Just saw this movie and its awesome. Not too crazy though about the whole funny sidekick guy. Typical outsiders join up type theme. Loved the special effects. Much better than what I expected. I was expecting something along the lines of that Mario brothers movie.

David Walton
08-23-2009, 04:57 PM
I enjoyed the movie and thought it was good cheesy over-the-top fun, but I wish they hadn't gone with Duke as the entry level character.

I thought they wasted the potential of the Pit being invaded, because for that to work really well, you first have to establish just how difficult it would be to penetrate their defenses. If I'm Duke I'm thinking, "This is the world's greatest strike force, and on the first day they were compromised by a ninja and my ex-fiancee. We are so screwed!" I didn't read the comic much as a kid, but I do remember one standout issue where the Pit was invaded. There were casualties and it was a big deal.

I loved how the villains were all at odds with one another, though I wish Baroness could have remained a villain. Sometimes a villainess is a villainess. One of the better scenes was when Storm Shadow said, "I told you I'd kill your husband if he touched you," and she just smiled and said, "I know." That to me was a character moment that said she was going beyond the parameters of her mind control because she enjoyed being evil.

I would also like to see some more machismo in the next flick. A conflict between Duke and Hawk over a command decision would be great.

anavrin0901
08-23-2009, 07:23 PM
I saw this movie three times and just had fun all three times!

I saw it in DLP of course.

Joe is my #2 movie of the year, thus far, right behind The Hangover.

drwho
08-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Where in the hell was Cobra Commander though? Is this supposed to be a trilogy?

David Walton
08-24-2009, 07:00 AM
Where in the hell was Cobra Commander though? Is this supposed to be a trilogy?

Huh? Do you mean that rhetorically, as in why didn't he reveal himself until the end? I think that was just to showcase how COBRA came to be. I liked the idea that he was essentially poised as Destro's lackey and turned the tables on him at the last moment. It was a cool origin story for COBRA. Now I just hope that Destro retains his ability to scheme and undermine Cobra Commander from within.

drwho
08-24-2009, 08:05 AM
Huh? Do you mean that rhetorically, as in why didn't he reveal himself until the end? I think that was just to showcase how COBRA came to be. I liked the idea that he was essentially poised as Destro's lackey and turned the tables on him at the last moment. It was a cool origin story for COBRA. Now I just hope that Destro retains his ability to scheme and undermine Cobra Commander from within.

I missed something. Maybe I need to rewatch it. I dont recall seeing anyone called cobra commander and I thought the guy at the end being the president was zartan.

Nate Grey
08-24-2009, 08:14 AM
I missed something. Maybe I need to rewatch it. I dont recall seeing anyone called cobra commander and I thought the guy at the end being the president was zartan.

I guess you do need to watch it again. When the Doctor and a burnt McCullen was on the get away sub, the Doctor said something like "Now that we have a moment, I made a nanobot injection just for you." The Doctor injects it and McCullen's face turns metallic. McCullen says "I have become my ancestor. What have you done to me?" The Doctor, removing his old mask and wig, says "You are now Destro. And me..." He puts on his new see-through mask, which deepens his voice and makes it sound more gluttoral. "...you may call me Commander."

David Walton
08-24-2009, 08:17 AM
And here's hoping Cobra Commander gets a decent mask next time around! I don't understand the redesign. His mask from the television series would have worked fine in the context of the film.

Sean Walsh
08-24-2009, 10:34 AM
And here's hoping Cobra Commander gets a decent mask next time around! I don't understand the redesign. His mask from the television series would have worked fine in the context of the film.

I liked it. It was nowhere as see-through as the action figures implied it would be.

Plus if you notice, there is some silver underneath the rough exterior of the mask.

Stephen Sommers also explained his mentality about the mask - why unveil CC with THE mask right off the bat in his earliest days? Like the comics, give him a preliminary mask and develop his look over time so that, in a later movie, they can do the full-out silver mask or maybe even the cloak.

ForeverTaskmaster
09-04-2009, 06:33 PM
I just saw the movie. I had a blast. Of course there were some minor complaints but that didn't take away the fun. Great, great chase scene and very enjoyable action with some original stuff.
One thing I really hated and that is the fact that Snake Eyes didn't talk because of a vow. That was such a cop out.
Sienna Miller looked hot as the Baroness and Rachel Nichols was an okay Scarlet, although I didn't like her cozying up to Ripcord.

Two things were really stupid though.

One was the Cobra soldiers that were supposed to have no fear, but when someone gets a grenade shoved up his outfit he starts panicking.

The other was the Maroccan member of GI Joe. The Joes get captured in France and the Maroccan speaks English to the French. Well, there is hardly a Maroccan who doesn't speak French so that was lame.

Forget the people who complain that the movie sucks. It's a very enjoyable movie. I hope sequels are in store. And I hope to see Sgt Slaughter, Beach Head and Chuckles.

titanfan
09-04-2009, 06:44 PM
Rachel Nichols was an okay Scarlet, although he didn't like her cozying up to Ripcord.

In hindsight, I think it might have been a smart approach to hook her up with Ripcord for now, if only because they don't have to worry about the Duke/Snake Eyes debate....

Watchtower
09-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I thought the accellarator suits would ruin everything that was good about Gi Joe. But it worked out quite well, and the use of the suits were kept quite minimal. Overall, I thought it was a very entertaining movie.

Mia
09-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Well I finally saw the film. Sad to say it did not hit my 'inner 15 year old boy'. I was actually bored for a great deal of it, but not bored enough to walk on it. I loved Sienna Miller as The Baroness. Though I was disapointed by what happened to her in the end. I thought that she would be a real Emma Peel. Rachel Nichols I didn't care for.

I hope for the sequel the part of 'Duke' is re-cast. Channing Tatum can't act and he has no charisma. I cringed each time he spoke.

mgs
09-13-2009, 03:17 PM
In hindsight, I think it might have been a smart approach to hook her up with Ripcord for now, if only because they don't have to worry about the Duke/Snake Eyes debate....
Ripcord??!?! SHe choose Ripcord?!?!?! :eek:

Karl O'Neill
09-13-2009, 03:25 PM
I saw this movie three times and just had fun all three times! .

I don't know how to take this comment. are u kidding?

maczero
09-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I don't know how to take this comment. are u kidding?Not surprising. I thought it was fun (not willing to pay to see in the theater again). In fact, it was probably the only summer blockbuster that wasn't a disappointment.

Nate Grey
09-13-2009, 07:06 PM

Why "for now"? What if its permanent and they just track their progress through the sequels?

Ripcord??!?! SHe choose Ripcord?!?!?! :eek:

Yeah, why not? Snake Eyes was busy with his vendetta against Storm Shadow, and Duke was busy trying to save Baroness. Ripcord actually came off the closest to an everyman, so I can see them hooking up. Or is their some context I'm missing as to why this is so :eek: -inducing?

I don't know how to take this comment. are u kidding?

I'm not sure how to take your comment. You didn't like it, so its impossible for other people to like it so much they see it multiple times?

Mia
09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
One thing I did find interesting about the film was how the cast was used. It reminded me of the X books in the mid 90's, in that the characters personalities were more powerful than the issues of race and ethnicity. Which is how it should be.

drwho
09-19-2009, 03:31 PM
In the original GI Joe cartoon did they explain why Destro left Cobra, or went with the gold face?

Nate Grey
09-19-2009, 08:28 PM
In the original GI Joe cartoon did they explain why Destro left Cobra, or went with the gold face?

The gold face came with the DIC-produced G.I. Joe. And either it was explained or just understood Destro left cause he got tired of essentially being a right hand man.

Sean Walsh
09-24-2009, 06:53 AM
The gold face came with the DIC-produced G.I. Joe. And either it was explained or just understood Destro left cause he got tired of essentially being a right hand man.

Outside of that initial DIC miniseries (Operation Thunderfire, or whatever), did Destro even appear in that cartoon anymore?

anavrin0901
09-30-2009, 04:36 AM
We have a new writer and I wanted to let you all hear his thoughts on the GI Joe movie. Although I loved the movie he does hit home with a few points...

In the good old days of movie making, the only way to get a movie made was with a sensible plot and, hopefully, a movie star or two to make it even more interesting. The recipe has since changed to making movies based off of brand awareness. The recipe only changed because people stopped going to see critically acclaimed films, and decided instead to see movies like The Day After Tomorrow because in the preview there was a cool tornado. So when someone writes the next Taxi Driver or even the next Juno, they are being turned away by the studios because their slate is full of movies based on video games like Asteroids. (Unfortunately, they really are developing that into a movie.)

The best example of how we, as fans, are getting screwed over by terrible, ill- conceived and lazy plots would be the new G.I. Joe. Now, before you want to rip my head off for daring to insult such an epic classic (sarcasm), let me state my case.

First off, I knew the movie was going to be awful when several of the movieís stars spoke up and said that their own acting, as well as the movie, was atrocious. The only other time in recent history I remember this happening was with Megan Fox bashing the terrible acting in Transformers 2. The one nice thing I can say about G.I. Joe is that it did not have the same agonizingly long running time of two and half hours, like Transformers 2.

Now, to remind anyone who sat through G.I. Joe, or plans on doing that in the future, I need to talk about certain plot points. Actually, who am I kidding, the movie didnít have a plot. I would normally write Spoiler Alert before talking about a movieís ending, but címon, G.I. Joe didnít have any kind of a story worth ruining. At one point in the story they need to extract memories from someone who is dying, so they stick metal needles into his brain. You still with me? OK. Just checking. Then they need to find the location of the bad guysí hideout, so they search through the memories they extracted to be able to easily find the location. How did they do that you ask? Great question. They deciphered in seconds the location from analyzing the time and amount of light showing from the sunís shadow in the memory they extracted, to give the exact coordinates of the bad guysí lair. If that made sense to you, then obviously you are so biased that you will probably be first in line to buy it on Blu-ray. Maybe, if youíre lucky, the deleted scenes will include the whole Wayans family doing the commentary, and comparing the movie to Little Man, while laughing hysterically.

If you thought that G.I. Joe made no sense and was the stupidest thing youíve ever seen, then unfortunately, this bad, nonsensical, and lazy writing is going to continue until you stop paying to watch movies that are badly reviewed. As a writer, I analyze movies differently. I expect to leave the theatre after connecting with characters I enjoyed watching and learning about. When the credits rolled on Panís Labyrinth, I knew I had just seen an anomaly. A type of film that was so great and perfect, that I was shocked it had even been released in a few theatres. I want to have that feeling more often than not. If the studios are going to pay $150 million for a movie to be made, is it too much to ask that maybe a little more than half of one percent goes into the writing?

In one of the first scenes of the movie, Marlon Wayanís character talks about how he misses flying and wants to fly jets again. I was hoping that they were not going to make the foreshadowing this lazy and predictable, but obviously since its G.I. Joe he ends up saving the world while flying a jet. I think I woke up at that point and prayed that it was already over, but unfortunately I forgot they needed to set up for the sequel. For those of you who loved G.I. Joe as a kid and went to the theatre with a big smile on your face, this is the time to speak up, because they are making a sequel. It is possible that it could be ten times worse and longer than Transformers 2 unless we tell them we expect a movie with a believable and enjoyable plot, not just a G.I. Joe II.

I am a huge fan of comic book style movies, but I am tired of constantly being disappointed. Itís just that for every great and well written story like Iron Man and The Dark Knight, there are four or five absolute pieces of garbage like Catwoman, G.I. Joe, Wolverine, and Transformers 2. Unfortunately, they are going to keep making these ďactionĒ films with terrible scripts instead of making an undiscovered great script that could be reminiscent of City of God.

The new trend is just remaking classics and maybe imitation is the best form of flattery, but frankly I am just a movie fan who is fed-up with the status quo and is begging the studios for change. The best comic book heroes and villains are conflicted human beings with a ton of flaws that only an R rating will be able to truly show. If you want to see an R rated comic book film done right, look no further than Sin City. Now thatís a sequel worth waiting to see. Itís time a comic book type of movie won an Oscar, but I fear the closest weíll ever come to seeing that passed with The Dark Knight.

If you would...let him know what you thought of his story by leaving some comments for him here (http://whysoblu.com/?p=3111).

Thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone agreees or disagrees with him.

titanfan
09-30-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry, but for me, it wouldn't be G.I. Joe if Cobra wasn't putting together a Weather Machine to take control of Earth or had a nonsensical plan to etch his face in the moon.

The entire concept of G.I.Joe is relatively unbelievable in the first place. Try to make it realistic and it's just another military themed movie.

The plot could have definitely been better, especially in regards to making the supporting cast more three dimensional, but it's doesn't have to be believeable or realistic.

I wish Transformers 2 had a plot too, but the special effects were so good, I could overlook it.

anavrin0901
09-30-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm sorry, but for me, it wouldn't be G.I. Joe if Cobra wasn't putting together a Weather Machine to take control of Earth or had a nonsensical plan to etch his face in the moon.

The entire concept of G.I.Joe is relatively unbelievable in the first place. Try to make it realistic and it's just another military themed movie.

The plot could have definitely been better, especially in regards to making the supporting cast more three dimensional, but it's doesn't have to be believeable or realistic.

I wish Transformers 2 had a plot too, but the special effects were so good, I could overlook it.

I concur. I wish TF2 was a lot more things though.