PDA

View Full Version : Movie Soundtracks That Became Bigger That Their Source Movie

Lone Ranger
08-17-2006, 08:46 PM
Can anyone remember a scene from the Big Chillother than members of the cast dancing around to Motown songs?

That is a soundtrack most of my friends had in the 80s, even though we were in our teens and many of other didn't care for the movie.

During my first trip to Louisiana, I ask many locals what record I should buy if I wanted a good tasted of Cajun and Zydeco music. The nearly unanimous answer was the soundtrack to The Big Easy. Keep in mind, this was more than 10 years after the film's release and although the movie was all but forgotten. Apparently the album was still selling briskly in Bayou country.

Others that come to mind:

Pink Floyd - Obscured By the Clouds, which is the music from some movie nobody's ever seen.

Reservoir Dogs - this CD was ubiquitous during my last couple of undergrad years. If everyone who bought the CD actually saw the movie, it would have made $100 Million.

Birdy - Peter Gabriel , Many people I know a Peter Gabriel fans and bought this to complete their collection. I doubt many have seen the movie.

What are some other soundtrack albums that ended up being bigger than the films they represent?

howyadoin
08-17-2006, 09:58 PM
Good call on The Big Easy. As for me, I humbly nominate Who Made Who, the AC/DC soundtrack to Stephen King's forgettable Maximum Overdrive.

Jessica Drew
08-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Soundtrack to Singles

Soundtrack to Saturday Night Fever (though this is arguable)

Soundtrack to Until the End of the World

Ontir
08-17-2006, 11:49 PM
The music provided by Simon & Garfunkel for the Graduate became some of the most important music of the sixties. I don't think you'd get more than a day or two, without running across Scarborough Fair, or Mrs. Robinson in any market in America.

Buried Alien
08-18-2006, 02:03 AM
The music provided by Simon & Garfunkel for the Graduate became some of the most important music of the sixties. I don't think you'd get more than a day or two, without running across Scarborough Fair, or Mrs. Robinson in any market in America.

A great soundtrack indeed, but did it overshadow the film? Apart from the terrific soundtrack, THE GRADUATE seems to have always been admired for its cinematographic and thespianship qualities (independent of its musical score) in their own right.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)

Ilash
08-18-2006, 03:08 AM
O Brother Where Art Thou seems to fit the bill, which is a pity as I consider it one of the Coen's more underrated movies.

Lone Ranger
08-18-2006, 07:41 AM
I guess Ennio Morricone's soundtrack from The Mission might also quality. There was a time where I'd be hardpressed to find a friend who didn't own this CD. I am not sure how many of them actually saw the film.

The same goes for The Harder They Come - essential listening for anyone wanting to learn about reggae beyond Bob.

Aimee Mann's sountrack to Magnolia is in heavy rotation in the Ranger household (except for when Ms. Ranger is playing it in the car). I don't know if it really has much of a following, but the film never really seemed to catch fire either so this one may be a toss up.

Shellhead
08-18-2006, 08:28 AM
Passion: the soundtrack to The Last Temptation of Christ. The movie only grossed $8 million in the U.S., but the album is critically acclaimed and probably managed to sell considerably better than the movie.

Does anybody know of a good place to find sales figues for albums? Billboard's site is limited to fairly recent data.

SMKSPY
08-18-2006, 10:29 AM
The S.F.W. soundtrack is much better than the film. The Godzilla Soundtrack is also great.

Tish-the-Scorpion
08-22-2006, 03:37 PM
New Jersey Drive Soundtrack

Above The Rim Soundtrack

Dead Presidents Soundtrack (bad ass movie though)

The Crow City of Angels Soundtrack.

Royal
08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
The Crow City of Angels Soundtrack.

The Crow was better then CoA. CoA was definatly trying to hard and was saying "Look at the kickass OST!" rather then working with the movie.

I liked the Spawn OST.

Anything by Goblin

If it was ever published, Riz Ortolani's cataloge would still hold up.

Royal
08-22-2006, 04:39 PM
The S.F.W. soundtrack is much better than the film. The Godzilla Soundtrack is also great.

the Zilla OST fell apart after the forth or fifth song and even then, most the songs were radio friendly dribble

blackdragon6
08-22-2006, 04:41 PM
i second above the rim.

nonhosonno
08-22-2006, 06:18 PM
Anything by Goblin

One of my favorite bands, hence the ID.

howyadoin
08-22-2006, 06:45 PM
The Crow was better then CoA.It was still a shitty movie that didn't remotely live up to the source material.

blackdragon6
08-22-2006, 07:51 PM
It was still a shitty movie that didn't remotely live up to the source material.
wow:eek: i love that film i thought it was beautifully directed.

Royal
08-22-2006, 08:33 PM
It was still a shitty movie that didn't remotely live up to the source material.

I was talking about the OST. Not the movie.

While the OST was great, it's gonna be forever cursed as the album that started the "radio-friendly" OST.

jessecuster3
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Reality Bites.

Also, I wouldn't count Singles because that movie was trying to capitalize on the music scene at the time.

Oh yeah Judgment Night, they made that OST just to try to drum up interest in the movie.

howyadoin
08-23-2006, 01:05 PM
wow:eek: i love that film i thought it was beautifully directed.Ever read the comic?

KenK
08-23-2006, 01:47 PM
This more the fault of the film never seeing theatrical release, but the Empire Records Soundtrack had about three solid singles that got heavy rotation back in 95/96. I couldn't turn on my radio without hearing "Never Met A Girl Like You" or "Til I Hear It From You", and wondering, "When the hell is this Empire Records moving coming out?!?"

I figured someone would have offered obvious choices like Saturday Night Fever, or something. I actually watched that movie while it was playing on a projector screen at a nightclub, reading the closed captioning, and the movie didn't seem all that great. The soundtrack always seemed a lot more memorable than whatever the story was.

Kaiju
08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
Curtis Mayfield's soundtrack for Superfly has outlived the movie. Marvin Gaye's Trouble Man soundtrack fits the bill as well.

blackdragon6
08-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Ever read the comic?*sniff* no :(

SMKSPY
08-23-2006, 02:33 PM
the Zilla OST fell apart after the forth or fifth song and even then, most the songs were radio friendly dribble

but it picked back up with 8-11...Fuel, Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Silverchair just wonderful.

berk
08-23-2006, 02:44 PM
The same goes for The Harder They Come - essential listening for anyone wanting to learn about reggae beyond Bob.I agree - although the movie is a cult classic in its own right. The soundtrack's my favorite reggae album, not that I listen to a lot of reggae. One of the greatest soundtracks ever.

Valmore
08-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Did anyone actually watch Less Than Zero?

Ontir
08-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Saturday Night Fever

Valley Girl

Royal
08-23-2006, 03:49 PM
but it picked back up with 8-11...Fuel, Foo Fighters, Green Day, and Silverchair just wonderful.

Dude. I own the album and I can't name any of the songs after Ben Fold Five. It's that forgetable

Didn't they remix the Green Day track too?

howyadoin
08-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Did anyone actually watch Less Than Zero?I'm sad to say I did.

But yeah, great soundtrack - Danzig, Roy Orbison, Joan Jett, the Bangles...

SMKSPY
08-25-2006, 09:11 AM
Dude. I own the album and I can't name any of the songs after Ben Fold Five. It's that forgetable

Didn't they remix the Green Day track too?

I know what you mean...I couldn't name any the songs since I hadn't listened to it since 1998, but back then it was great.

yeah they did remix "Brain Stew" a much better version than the original.

The Punished
08-25-2006, 11:25 AM
Reality Bites : My Sharona & the Lisa Loeb hit

Bed of Roses: Jann Arden's Insensitive & Ice Cream by Sarah McLachlan

Krush Groove

Ontir
08-25-2006, 12:36 PM
A great soundtrack indeed, but did it overshadow the film? Apart from the terrific soundtrack, THE GRADUATE seems to have always been admired for its cinematographic and thespianship qualities (independent of its musical score) in their own right.

It's not that the film was bad, but the music has a life of its own. There are a great many people who know the song Mrs. Robinson, and hear it several times a week, yet have never seen the Graduate. The music occupies that space that Paul Simon once described as "Cosmic Wallpaper." It's just a part of the fabric of life now.

KenK
08-29-2006, 05:20 AM
What about Footloose? I suppose it's debatable.

The Mirrorball Man
08-30-2006, 01:18 AM
There's also "Original Sountracks 1", by the Passengers, but the soundtracks are only bigger than the source movies because the source movies don't actually exist.

beyond
08-30-2006, 07:19 AM
even though the Spawn movie sucked, and some people may say that arguably the soundtrack sucked, it had a unique concept mixing the hard rock artists with electronic ones.

Your Imaginary Pal
08-30-2006, 07:46 AM
Street Fighter(Van Damme) sucked monkey nuts, but if you like hip-hop the soundtrack had these collaberations that were incredible. Organized Konfusion's track was crazy, but i can't remember the title.

jessecuster3
08-30-2006, 08:23 AM
even though the Spawn movie sucked, and some people may say that arguably the soundtrack sucked, it had a unique concept mixing the hard rock artists with electronic ones.

Umm go back and check the Judgement Night one from 1993:

# "Just Another Victim"
Performed by Helmet and House Of Pain

# "Fallin'"
Performed by Teenage Fanclub and De La Soul

# "Me, Myself & My Microphone"
Performed by Living Colour and Run-D.M.C.

# "Judgment Night"
Performed by Biohazard and Onyx

# "Disorder"
Performed by Slayer and Ice-T

# "Another Body Murdered"
Performed by Faith No More and Boo-Yaa T.R.I.B.E.

# "I Love You Mary Jane"
Performed by Sonic Youth and Cypress Hill

# "Freak Momma"
Performed by Mudhoney and Sir Mix-A-Lot

# "Missing Link"
Performed by Dinoasur Jr. and Del Tha Funky Homosapien

# "Come And Die"
Performed by Therapy? and Fatal

mgs
09-28-2007, 08:09 PM
Is it just me or are 2 new movies blatantly stealing other movies' soundtracks?

the new commercials; one with the Rock, from Kill Bill, vol.1 and the Seeker, directly from the Harry Potter movies? wtf?!?

The Mirrorball Man
09-29-2007, 07:48 AM
Is it just me or are 2 new movies blatantly stealing other movies' soundtracks?

the new commercials; one with the Rock, from Kill Bill, vol.1 and the Seeker, directly from the Harry Potter movies? wtf?!?

Using music from other movies in trailers has been common practice for years.

bert
09-29-2007, 08:11 AM
wow. .

3 pages in (on my view settings), and no one's mentioned the 2 that immediately come to mind:

"Batman" -- yeah, the movie was good, but the mostly Prince Soundtrack was amazing.

"Xanadu" -- crappy movie, with a really good soundtrack featuring a couple of Olivia Newton John tracks that went on to become MEGA hits ("Majic", "Suddenly"), and some great songs by ELO. I used to listen to this like crazy.

speaking of Olivia, I wonder if the "Grease" soundtrack qualifies? Not a great film, but easily one of the best selling soundtrack albums of all time.

and my #1?

"Hellraiser III : Hell on Earth" -- yeah, really.

The movie itself was shit, but remember, it was set in a club --look at this track listing:

1. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - Motörhead
2. Go With Me - Ten Inch Men
3. What Girls Want - Material Issue
4. I Feel Like Steve - Electric Love Hogs
5. Troublemaker -- Triumph
6. Ooh la La - KMFDM
7. Baby Universal - Tin Machine
8. Divine Thing -- Soup Dragons
9. Down, Down, Down - House of Lords
10. Hell on Earth - Motörhead
11. Waltzing With a Jaguar - Chainsaw Kittens

one of my fave CDs, that I still listen to quite a bit.

Pepsigirl
09-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Garden State.

J. Robb
09-29-2007, 01:22 PM
Using music from other movies in trailers has been common practice for years.
And somewhat related to this thread, trailers for other movies have made "Requiem for a Dream"s score more famous than the film.

Patient Boy
09-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Umm go back and check the Judgement Night one from 1993:

It should be worth noting that both were from the same record label (Immortal) and conceived with the genre-mashing in mind, as were the Blade movie soundtracks.

Patient Boy
09-30-2007, 01:27 AM
"Batman" -- yeah, the movie was good, but the mostly Prince Soundtrack was amazing.

I'm not sure the soundtrack overshadows the movie though, and from all accounts it wasn't particularly well received critically and Prince has all but disowned it from his catalogue.

Patient Boy
09-30-2007, 01:35 AM
Also, I wouldn't count Singles because that movie was trying to capitalize on the music scene at the time.

More accurately, the release of the movie was to capitalise on the music scene. It was completed over a year before its actual release date, but was shelved by the studio because they didn't know how to market it. AFAIK the bands featured were fairly unknown outside of the Seattle scene at the time of filming.

Reality Bites was a movie that essentially followed the Singles blueprint.

howyadoin
09-30-2007, 01:19 PM
It should be worth noting that both were from the same record label (Immortal) and conceived with the genre-mashing in mind...Wasn't it the same people overseeing both soundtracks, too?

Jonathan Bogart
09-30-2007, 07:11 PM
I'm not sure the soundtrack overshadows the movie though, and from all accounts it wasn't particularly well received critically and Prince has all but disowned it from his catalogue.
More importantly, Prince doesn't own that soundtrack; Time-Warner and DC Comics do. Which is why it doesn't figure in retrospectives of Prince's work; he doesn't have the rights to it. It's still great music, and it's better music than the movie is a movie.

Patient Boy
10-01-2007, 10:27 PM
More importantly, Prince doesn't own that soundtrack; Time-Warner and DC Comics do. Which is why it doesn't figure in retrospectives of Prince's work; he doesn't have the rights to it. It's still great music, and it's better music than the movie is a movie.

Hm. I wasn't aware of that. So it doesn't figure with the rest of Prince's Warners recorded output?

I'm definitely in the camp that the Burton movies haven't aged very well but I'm still not sure that this qualifies as a soundtrack that's bigger than the movie it was based on though, rather than just a good soundtrack.

Nate Grey
10-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Speaking of Prince, "Graffiti Bridge." Or perhaps its because I made the mistake of listening to the soundtrack for weeks before seeing the movie for the first time. The movie seemed like Prince remade Purple Rain, while high on every drug known to man. But that soundtrack is excellent. Eh, well, the title track is so-so.

Jinxer
10-01-2007, 11:47 PM
Garden State

More people think I'm refering to the album than the movie.

'What? Someone made a movie about that album?'

Pinball
10-03-2007, 08:37 PM
Breakin II: Electric Boogaloo
Still a dance favorite.
Even the original Breakin can't claim that.

Hatut Zeraze
10-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I have no soundtracks to really add that I think greatly surpass the movies to which they are attached, but I would like to subtract a couple nominees.

While I do agree that the soundtracks to The Last Temptation of Christ and Magnolia are outstanding, I adore both of those movies, and could never bring myself to even imagine the soundtracks as dominant over the films themselves.

jesse_custer
10-08-2007, 09:00 AM
I agree about Magnolia. Whether you like the twist ending or not, the conclusion of that film overshadows any of the music on the soundtrack.

rick
10-08-2007, 09:11 AM
I agree about Magnolia. Whether you like the twist ending or not, the conclusion of that film overshadows any of the music on the soundtrack.

Just slightly off topic.

I completely agree with you that the movie overshadows the soundtrack. Still, the single most stunning moment to me in Magnolia is the scene where everyone is at their absolute worst, most horrible moment and suddenly everyone breaks into song.

The idea sounds stupid, but it just blew me away when I saw it.

jesse_custer
10-08-2007, 09:13 AM
SPOILER:

Well, yes, the scene you're talking about is one of the film's best moments, for some odd reason. But the frogs, man. The frogs. Holy shit.

Mojorisin
10-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Garden State

More people think I'm refering to the album than the movie.

'What? Someone made a movie about that album?'

Totally. I love that soundtrack. It got me into Nick Drake.

What about South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut? People usually sing the songs from the movie. But then again...it was a musical, so I dunno if that counts.

Dan Apodaca
10-08-2007, 06:04 PM
The I (heart) Huckabees soundtrack is way more respected than the actual movie, in my experience.

rick
10-08-2007, 08:50 PM
The I (heart) Huckabees soundtrack is way more respected than the actual movie, in my experience.

That surprises me actually.

I know a whole bunch of people who really just loved the movie, including me.

And I don't think that any of us has the album.

Of course I could be wrong.

mattx110
10-08-2007, 09:09 PM
given the ry cooder thread that just started up, how about "paris, texas"?

i think it koalafies.

Dan Apodaca
10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
That surprises me actually.

I know a whole bunch of people who really just loved the movie, including me.

And I don't think that any of us has the album.

Of course I could be wrong.

Well, the album is a masterpiece.

I liked the movie, myself, for the most part. But not as much as the album. I felt like Jon Brion did a much better job of encapsulating the existential struggle of the modern suburbanite.

Buried Alien
10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Speaking of Prince, "Graffiti Bridge." Or perhaps its because I made the mistake of listening to the soundtrack for weeks before seeing the movie for the first time. The movie seemed like Prince remade Purple Rain, while high on every drug known to man. But that soundtrack is excellent. Eh, well, the title track is so-so.

PURPLE RAIN the record was certainly heaps better than PURPLE RAIN the movie. The album is a classic; the film, not so much.

howyadoin
10-08-2007, 11:11 PM
PURPLE RAIN the record was certainly heaps better than PURPLE RAIN the movie. The album is a classic; the film, not so much.The album doesn't have Appolonia topless, though.

Or "The Bird".

mattx110
10-09-2007, 06:43 AM
also, weird one, i would definitely believe it if someone told me that more people in western society recognize the "star wars" theme than have seen the film. that's pretty damn big for a soundtrack.