PDA

View Full Version : SOE's DC MMORPG

Gozwald73
08-03-2006, 02:05 AM
hee hee what a funny title. I love this world of acronyms that we live in today.

So, anyone have any news, pics, etc about it? All I can find are some old articles about how Jim Lee is involved in the creative process, blah blah. I want some JUICE people, JUICE!

StoneGold
08-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Sony is still pretty much in lockdown about the title. I don't think they even had a poster up for it at E3. Which is funny, because they were definitely pimping out Comic Book Creator.

scottv
08-06-2006, 10:54 AM
So is this game going to be like City of Heroes?

Gargus
08-06-2006, 02:20 PM
If sony online is working with it I have 0% interest.

1)Ever since they took over everquest they used the live game for beta testing patches as each one causes everyone weeks of headaches and some years old never got fixed. And by take over I mean when mquaid left and SOE just took control of all its online games.

2) They dumbed down the game by adding in portal stones to everywhere, once it was a challenge to run from one town to another now you can click a portal and your there. Even the boats broke once and were never fixed, no more riding boats now you just click a portal and poof your at the other place.

3)They also catered to the whining players and made the game to easy by adding in spells, armor and abilities that make it easy. Once upper dogs in velks lab could be split easily between two groups can now be dominated by 1 single enchanter of the same level. They made tweaking to easy.

4)Everquest 1 and 2 run on ungodly crappy coded engines that even on my hogs leg of a pc runs like shit. Even EQ2 the new one I cant even begin to approach maxing out all the options. They crash, they run bad, they lockup and dont get fixed. Players have to find obscure fixes themselves. Myself in EQ2 my sound and video were sharing the same irq and that was why the game locked up every 30 seconds.

5) And most importantly SOE cares nothing for fairness or customer support. Customer support is a joke, you get pre-made copy and pasted responses to emails.

6) They outright offer money for gold and in game items. SOE itself will sell you ingame stuff for your real money. They dont ban it, they encourage it.

7) They ruined star wars galaxies several times. They introduce some major patch that pisses everyone with the changes then afterawhile they do it again. Basically make some classes useless that werent before, change abilities and ruin stuff people spent months working on.

I will never play a SOE game again. EQ was great till brad mquaid left and it all went to pot and has only gotten worse. Good friend of mine quit SWG because they kept messing with the game mechanics so much and he liked it alot, even if like EQ and EQ2 it ran like crap and had alot of problems.

GremlinClr
08-06-2006, 03:44 PM
If sony online is working with it I have 0% interest.

1)Ever since they took over everquest they used the live game for beta testing patches as each one causes everyone weeks of headaches and some years old never got fixed. And by take over I mean when mquaid left and SOE just took control of all its online games.

Not really, you put a patch on the test server with a max population off 500 people peak times and you could leave it there for a year and not find half the stuff the 300,000 folks on the live servers will find in a day. Did you ever play on test? It's really hard to get people to bother even after the "test buff" patch that put new characters to level 25. There was always the slight chance you could loose everything you worked for and that scared people off.

2) They dumbed down the game by adding in portal stones to everywhere, once it was a challenge to run from one town to another now you can click a portal and your there. Even the boats broke once and were never fixed, no more riding boats now you just click a portal and poof your at the other place.

True. But it's not like they just did it and no one was asking for it, the players spoke, SOE caved. Just like how most expansions were geared towards the top 5% of the players (heavy raiding guilds). They were the vocal minority, same thing here.

3)They also catered to the whining players and made the game to easy by adding in spells, armor and abilities that make it easy. Once upper dogs in velks lab could be split easily between two groups can now be dominated by 1 single enchanter of the same level. They made tweaking to easy.

Don't all MMOs go through that? You knew it was going to happen the first time a lvl 60 necro solod Naggy after RoK came out, it's the way of the game. If players weren't getting new spells and upgrades every expansion why would they stick around?

4)Everquest 1 and 2 run on ungodly crappy coded engines that even on my hogs leg of a pc runs like shit. Even EQ2 the new one I cant even begin to approach maxing out all the options. They crash, they run bad, they lockup and dont get fixed. Players have to find obscure fixes themselves. Myself in EQ2 my sound and video were sharing the same irq and that was why the game locked up every 30 seconds.

To be fair, EQ2 won't run maxed on any machine. SOE built it to look good years after it came out unlike EQ1 that looked bad almost instantly. The only trouble I've ever had with EQ1 was lag though playing on dial-up, and my comp is a POS.

5) And most importantly SOE cares nothing for fairness or customer support. Customer support is a joke, you get pre-made copy and pasted responses to emails.

True.

6) They outright offer money for gold and in game items. SOE itself will sell you ingame stuff for your real money. They dont ban it, they encourage it.

Umm, no. Last I heard that was only on approved servers. If you don't agree with the practice just play on a different one.

7) They ruined star wars galaxies several times. They introduce some major patch that pisses everyone with the changes then afterawhile they do it again. Basically make some classes useless that werent before, change abilities and ruin stuff people spent months working on.

Can't speak to this since I never played SWG.

I will never play a SOE game again.

Certainly your perogative.

Phrozen
08-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Lets not forget that SoE killed Matrix Online pretty quick to. They are cancer.

hoffmandu
08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
SWG could have been great............SOE jaded me so bad I'll probably never play another MMO from them again. I plaed SWG for a long time, I saw and experienced everything they did..........as far as I'm concerned, they're fucking thieves.

hoffmandu
08-07-2006, 01:25 PM
Also, I find it hard to believe (judging from their track record) that SOE is going to put out a Superhero game that can EVEN compete with COH/COV.

Gozwald73
08-10-2006, 01:47 AM
well I'm enough of a DC fan to give it a go (here's hoping that SOE can get their act together)

I'm hoping it will better be better than CoH (I can dream can't I?)

so... back to topic: any news?

hoffmandu
08-10-2006, 10:02 AM
well I'm enough of a DC fan to give it a go (here's hoping that SOE can get their act together)

I'm hoping it will better be better than CoH (I can dream can't I?)

so... back to topic: any news?

No news here. I share the same sentiment, I may give it try, just because it's DC. God, I can't believe I'm even entertaining the thought.

chrismb79
04-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Has there been any new updates to this lately? I just recently heard they were making this, but all the info I can find on it is very old. Has it been abandoned?

Paradox
04-18-2008, 05:59 PM
No news that I've heard. Marvel's going belly up probably didn't help to push them along.

Although Champions looks pretty decent, at this point at least.

Serik
04-18-2008, 06:08 PM
SOE could teach EA a thing or two about ruining games...

PlanetSide, the only MMO I've ever enjoyed, was utterly wrecked by SOE's incompetence. Instead of focusing on teamwork elements and global strategy, the stuff that brought players to the game in the first place, SOE inexplicitly decided to remold the game into a fragfest shooter, replete with instakill spam weapons and giant robots. What followed was a mass exodus of veteran players and the end to what was one of the best gaming experience I ever had. In the three or four years since, I haven't bothered to check the game out.

SOE also ruined another one of my favorite games, Infantry Online, but so few people have played it that it's hardly worth mentioning.

So while a DC MMORPG vaguely interests me, I refuse to play anything coming from the idiots at SOE.