PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Balboa

ChrisII
12-12-2005, 02:13 PM
http://www.einsiders.com/iscoop/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1134375876&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

In the third pic you can apparentally see Burt Young and Tony Burton, reprising the roles of Paulie and Duke.

SnowTrooper
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Rocky looks really old in those pics.

kalorama
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
Rocky looks really old in those pics.

Because he is.

SUPERECWFAN1
12-12-2005, 02:29 PM
I demand.....demand...the boxing commission test Balboa's urine. The guy has to be hittin some performance enhacing drugs!

DDM
12-12-2005, 02:36 PM
No amount of cosmetic surgery will erase aging completely. Hopefully, Rocky will not turn into an unintended parody...

Forefinger
12-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Did y'all know that he's 59?

kalorama
12-12-2005, 02:43 PM
Hopefully, Rocky will not turn into an unintended parody...

I think that ship sailed already.

cactusmaac
12-12-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm trying to be cynical but the music for Gonna Fly Now keeps popping into my head.

eJm
12-12-2005, 03:46 PM
59?! THAT YOUNG?!

Scorpion13
12-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Are you nuts? He looks fantastic for a guy his age. I know guys 10 years younger than him that look like theyre 30 years older.

Thats not what Im worried about. I really, really hope he has a good script.

DDM
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM

He's four years younger than my Mom!

DDM
12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
Are you nuts? He looks fantastic for a guy his age. I know guys 10 years younger than him that look like theyre 30 years older.

That's because he has already had cosmetic surgery in the past.

Scorpion13
12-12-2005, 04:05 PM
That's because he has already had cosmetic surgery in the past.

They have cosmetic surgery to give you muscles? Wow. I should get me some of that.

bigman45
12-12-2005, 04:48 PM
tell me why is rocky fighting the guy who beat roy jones jr. ?? thats is so dumb ... roy should be fighting rocky .. not tarver ?? :eek:

DDM
12-12-2005, 04:53 PM
They have cosmetic surgery to give you muscles? Wow. I should get me some of that.

Yes, there are pectoral implants. But I was thinking more along the lines of a face lift or two.

Scorpion13
12-12-2005, 04:59 PM
Yes, there are pectoral implants. But I was thinking more along the lines of a face lift or two.

I was talking about his body.

Yeah, it looks like he might have....or maybe not. Maybe his face doesnt wrinkle like other people's. His facial muslces are paralyzed.

hulahulk
12-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Well, some implants and some regular facial stuff would make him look 15 years younger and in better shape. He has had plastic surgery, plus with all the make-up...

marshal99
12-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Haha , he'll be better off fighting those guys from his own reality TV show "The contender". Maybe Peter manfredo or Sergio mora.

DennyK
12-13-2005, 06:19 AM
Hopefully, Rocky will not turn into an unintended parody...

Much too late for that I'm afraid.

LukeRed5
12-13-2005, 07:29 AM
Even though this will probably be a cheesy awful movie, I will be there along with my brothers cheering on Rocky. I guess its the nostalgia factor. Similar to people cheering Hogan in the WWE recently.

Forefinger
12-13-2005, 07:54 AM

Thats not what Im worried about. I really, really hope he has a good script.
I was flipping thru some fitness magazine recently. It showed a picture of a very muscular Stallone working out with a caption "Stalone, 59, working out in preparation for another Rocky sequal" or something like that. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know that he was almost 60!

Scorpion13
12-13-2005, 07:57 AM
Yup. And Chuck Norris is over 60.

Forefinger
12-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Yup. And Chuck Norris is over 60.
Yeah, I saw something about that a couple of years ago. Again, in a magazine. It was a picture of him doing a roundhouse kick without his shirt on. He looked very fit and muscular. The caption said some crap, but it had his age as 60, I couldn't believe it.

The Mirrorball Man
12-13-2005, 08:09 AM
Somewhere in a parallel universe, Sylvester Stallone had the acting career he really deserved.

Jared
12-13-2005, 12:23 PM
He fights an opponent named Mason Dixon! Good to see the trend of awesome boxer names continues for the final film.

DHX
07-12-2006, 03:48 AM
is it wrong of me to get wood from this trailer?

Rocky (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1445131&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400)

rick
07-12-2006, 07:36 AM

Rocky (http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1445131&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400)

Yes, very wrong.

Jared
07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
No, it's beautiful and natural.

StoneGold
07-12-2006, 09:34 AM
I'll say this much: that's an awesome trailer. Really well put together. Will it make for a good movie? Who knows. Hell, that's probably the biggest question mark of the year. Mostly because it should be an enormous pile of crap, but it actually looks good. But either way, it's a great trailer.

Jared
07-12-2006, 09:38 AM
I'll say this much: that's an awesome trailer. Really well put together. Will it make for a good movie? Who knows. Hell, that's probably the biggest question mark of the year. Mostly because it should be an enormous pile of crap, but it actually looks good. But either way, it's a great trailer.

Yeah it is pretty well made, though I have preferred the first trailer not start right off with the recognizable theme. Maybe you just hear a crowd roaring, then it gradaully becomes clear that it's a chant of "Rock-y, Rock-y!"

Anyway, it's also a nice X-Box 360 commercial.

StoneGold
07-12-2006, 09:59 AM
Yeah it is pretty well made, though would have preferred the first trailer not start right off with the recognizable theme. Maybe you just hear a crowd roaring, then it gradaully becomes clear that they're a chant of "Rock-y, Rock-y!"

Anyway, it's also a nice X-Box 360 commercial.
I dunno, kind of kills the whole thematic thing with Rock being a bum now. Besides, like you don't know what you're getting into the minute Conti's Gonna Fly Now kicks in.

And yeah, I thought the same thing about the 360. Well, I was thinking about it more in terms of EA Fight Night, but yeah.

DWEarhart
07-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I nearly laughed when I heard about Rocky 6. Then, Sly was going to write and direct, and he did the same with part 2, so I reserved my judgement.

After watching this trailer, I need to see this movie. I really liked the dialogue from the teaser, but this trailer shows that he knows what year, and what typr of tecno-reliant age we're living in.

I can't wait.

Patman
07-12-2006, 10:58 AM
I sense this film will have train-wreck viewing potential.

Grazzt
07-12-2006, 12:08 PM
My first thought at seeing this thread:

"JANET!!!"
"BRAD!!!"
"JANET!!!"
"DR. SCOTT!!!"
"ROCKY!!!"
"..."

Yeah, I'm weird.

Its wonderful to see that Rocky still hasn't lost his ability to block incredibly hard punches with his face.

I do agree that the trailer was pretty well made.

Deathstroke
07-12-2006, 12:53 PM
I saw the trailer yesterday and I'm very interested in seeing this in theater.

Phil Clark
07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
With my schedule I have precious little time to see any movies in the theater anymore. This is one I would like to if I get the chance, but more than likely I won't see it until it hits video. But it does look pretty interesting, and the concept of a computer simulation sparking a real fight... how cool an idea is that? Go Rocky.

Jared
07-12-2006, 01:05 PM
I really hope the movie doesn't start out sticking to close to where Rocky was at the end of V. The idea that he'd be so poor that he'd be back to his old job is ridiculous, even if the unseen lawyer/accountant made off with every dime he had in the bank. He's Rocky Balboa, the guy who won the biggest sporting event in history! Companies would have been parking truckloads of money on his lawn to get him to do endorsments.

It's well known that Apollo Creed was inspired by Muhammed Ali, so any thoughts of who Mason "The Line" Dixon might be, if anyone?

CaptainAwesome
07-12-2006, 01:09 PM
It looks like a mix of Superman Returns and Talladega Nights. Does that make sense? Probably not, but its still true.

StoneGold
07-12-2006, 02:09 PM
I really hope the movie doesn't start out sticking to close to where Rocky was at the end of V. The idea that he'd be so poor that he'd be back to his old job is ridiculous, even if the unseen lawyer/accountant made off with every dime he had in the bank. He's Rocky Balboa, the guy who won the biggest sporting event in history! Companies would have been parking truckloads of money on his lawn to get him to do endorsments.

It's well known that Apollo Creed was inspired by Muhammed Ali, so any thoughts of who Mason "The Line" Dixon might be, if anyone?
Because a fighter has never lost all his money before.

Except, you know, Mike Tyson, Joe Louis, Foreman before he got back into boxing again, Riddick Bowe I think was trying to get into the Marines at one point... just because Ali and Holyfield managed to hang on to their cash, doesn't mean everyone else did.

EZMOHR
07-12-2006, 03:27 PM
You know, I loved Rocky. So-So on Rocky II. Liked Rocky III. Think Rocky IV was instrumental in winning the Cold War. And, actually don't mind Rocky V. When I heard they were making a new one...I wasn't enthused. Yet, I saw this trailer....and man, that is one well made trailer. It's got me interested. I would like to see this movie. I think it's got potential.

And, I've never seen Stallone so comfortable acting. It's like Sly's acting career is what this movie is about.

I don't know if anybody likes AICN. I really don't because it just seems so negative, from the stories down to the posters. But, somebody actually had a good post there the other day. It said that basically, in the 80's, when a lot of us were kicking around, and being formed....we treated guys like Sly, Arnie, Van Damme, Seagal, and Chuck like GODS. Then, tastes matured, we grew older, and we almost villified these guys. I mean, most people spit venom at everyone of the guys, or they've turned Chuck Norris into some kind of freak show. (And this interent fantasy of Chuck Norris is nothing more than a cruel joke....like making fun of the "retard" kid, but watching him laugh and making you feel okay that you are clickin on him.)

Basically, it said, yeah, maybe these guys weren't A-list talent wise...but entertainment wise...these guys delivered in some great way that we don't know why. Maybe it's time we give these guys some respect, and not dog them. There was some simple way they entertained us, and maybe we should try to find that again. I'm sure I'll get roasted and blasted for the statement, but, there is some smoke to that statement's fire.

StoneGold
07-12-2006, 03:40 PM
Stallone might have even had A-list talent wise. Keep in mind, dude won the Academy Award. It's just it was way easier, both in terms of pathos, and on the pocketbook, for him to become a megastar than a good actor.

What's funny is, you can even see it in his later pictures. Go watch First Blood. The first one, not the second. It's hard to watch now without the second movie in your head, just because it turned Rambo into such a cultural icon. But there was some genuine acting in the first movie, at least at the beginning and the end.

But like I said, one way or the other, that was really one well put together trailer.

Gaz
07-12-2006, 03:57 PM
It actually looks like it might work for the same reason the original did. Rocky's almost certainly not gonna win, but you want to see if he can hold his own, want to believe he MIGHT have a shot. If Sly actually wanted to do this, and puts the effort in, it might not be half bad.

Jamal
07-12-2006, 04:03 PM
I find it ironic that Antoinio "Magic Mouth" Tarver aka Mason Dixon is going to once again get his ass handed to him by an old man:D .

StoneGold
07-12-2006, 04:25 PM
I find it ironic that Antoinio "Magic Mouth" Traver aka Mason Dixon is going to once again get his ass handed to him by an old man:D .
Foreman did it. Granted, Foreman was 15 years younger than Stallone when he took back the title.

Jamal
07-12-2006, 04:40 PM
I was talking about the whippin' Tarver took from Bernard Hopkins ( 41 years old ) last month. Talk about an ass kicking, he didn't even win one round.:evilsmile

StoneGold
07-12-2006, 05:08 PM
I was talking about the whippin' Tarver took from Bernard Hopkins ( 41 years old ) last month. Talk about an ass kicking, he didn't even win one round.:evilsmile
Yeah, well, last guy Rocky fought was Tommy Morrison. And we all know how that turned out.

Super Samurai
07-12-2006, 05:10 PM
Sly looks pretty good considering he is 60. I really liked the trailer and hopefully this sequel will be good enough to make up for the monstrosity that was Rocky V.

Jamal
07-12-2006, 05:25 PM
No I don't,

I blocked Rocky V out of my mind a long time ago.

Jared
07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Except, you know, Mike Tyson, Joe Louis, Foreman before he got back into boxing again, Riddick Bowe I think was trying to get into the Marines at one point... just because Ali and Holyfield managed to hang on to their cash, doesn't mean everyone else did.

Sure, but to my knowledge, even Tyson, despite massive debts because he spent money like an idiot and made bad business deals, has never actually had to go back to living in the gutter. And from the brief explanation in part V, it seemed to me that the problem wasn't debt, it was basically that the Balboa's were robbed. But this was right after the Drago fight, which would have made Rocky the most famous fighter in the world! There's just no plausible way that he'd have to go back to working in a slaughterhouse for income, along with Adrian going back to the pet store.

HomerJay
07-13-2006, 09:21 AM
What's funny is, you can even see it in his later pictures. Go watch First Blood. The first one, not the second. It's hard to watch now without the second movie in your head, just because it turned Rambo into such a cultural icon. But there was some genuine acting in the first movie, at least at the beginning and the end.
I bring up these points a lot.
A lot of people forget that he frickin wrote ROCKY, a best picture winner. I too consider FIRST BLOOD to be a vastly underrated motion picture, and his work in COPLAND should have been nominated for an Oscar.

Not to mention his fine work as the semi-retarded Orange Julius/computer salesman on Saturday Night Live.

StoneGold
07-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Sure, but to my knowledge, even Tyson, despite massive debts because he spent money like an idiot and made bad business deals, has never actually had to go back to living in the gutter. And from the brief explanation in part V, it seemed to me that the problem wasn't debt, it was basically that the Balboa's were robbed. But this was right after the Drago fight, which would have made Rocky the most famous fighter in the world! There's just no plausible way that he'd have to go back to working in a slaughterhouse for income, along with Adrian going back to the pet store.
The other thing you have to remember is that Rocky is at best mildly retarded, and probably has odd fond memories for the slaughterhouse.

SteelTownr
07-13-2006, 10:25 AM
I notice that Talia Shire is only listed as Archival Footage on the IMDB credits.

I guess that something bad happened to Adrienne.

Mark B.

Jared
07-13-2006, 06:04 PM
I notice that Talia Shire is only listed as Archival Footage on the IMDB credits.

Mark B.

This shouldn't really be a spoiler, as it's something Sly initially revealed in a magazine with an excerpt from the script. Adrian is dead, I think there's a quick shot of the tombstone in the trailer.

The movie will probably end with Rocky's son visiting the grave. There, he makes a promise, to rid the city of the evil that took her life. But to do so, he must become more than a man, he must be a symbol...

Gaz
07-13-2006, 06:14 PM
The other thing you have to remember is that Rocky is at best mildly retarded, and probably has odd fond memories for the slaughterhouse.
Heck, maybe he bought it...

SUPERECWFAN1
07-13-2006, 07:39 PM

Mark B.

Shire is written out as having died of cancer. Its a sad element since the films made her really...the strongest character in Rocky's life. Plus it ruins a scene to see him yellin in Rocky II " AAADDDDRRRRRIIEENNNE I did it !!! "

SteelTownr
07-14-2006, 01:39 AM
This shouldn't really be a spoiler, as it's something Sly initially revealed in a magazine with an excerpt from the script. Adrian is dead, I think there's a quick shot of the tombstone in the trailer.

The movie will probably end with Rocky's son visiting the grave. There, he makes a promise, to rid the city of the evil that took her life. But to do so, he must become more than a man, he must be a symbol...

Well, if she died from cancer...

Was the Evil Three Mile Island or something?

Mark B.

Tages
07-14-2006, 03:51 AM
Am i the only one who thinks it to be in astonishingly bad taste to have a black character named "Mason 'The Line' Dixon?"

Jared
07-14-2006, 05:24 PM
Apollo already used up all the best nicknames.

DHX
07-14-2006, 05:42 PM

two days later and i've still got wood.

Deathstroke
07-14-2006, 08:10 PM
two days later and i've still got wood.

Don't they say to call your doctor if it lasts more than four hours?

Thanos_6383
07-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Cool.When does it come out?

Super Samurai
07-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Cool.When does it come out?

Christmas, which is strange as I would think you would want to show this when everybody is NOT celebrating a holiday.

IamtheRock3
07-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Why first of mike not ENDORSMENT friendly. And those guys got money..just not as much as they ounce have

Basicly there version of broke is my version of well off..a lot of the times.

sirgod
07-15-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't think Joe Louis out of all those guys has a dime to his name. Being dead will do that though.

To be honest though, I can't recall any endorcement he got. I still shudder how the government dicked him over, esp. him donating all his time towards those exhibition matches in WW2.

Stephen

the_big_billbowski
07-23-2006, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to see this movie. The Rocky's are some of the best movies out there. The first few are just great movies, well acted, very well put together, the 3rd and 4th were just fun/cool movies. The 5th sucked but did have some great moments.

About Rocky losing all his money in 5. He didnt just get robbed by his financial guy, he also owed a crap load of back taxes to the govt. They said that Pauly signed over all the control to their accountant while Rocky was in Russia training. The accountant then stole all their money. The accountant, never paid any of the taxes for Rocky so he was in the whole. That is why they auctioned off all his stuff int he begining, which is also why he was able to move into the old house. It was Pauly's and the govt couldnt touch it. He was gonna get back on his feet, but he was too sick to fight and Adrian just wanted him out of that life.

Jared
07-23-2006, 12:01 PM
I can't wait to see this movie. The Rocky's are some of the best movies out there. The first few are just great movies, well acted, very well put together, the 3rd and 4th were just fun/cool movies. The 5th sucked but did have some great moments.

About Rocky losing all his money in 5. He didnt just get robbed by his financial guy, he also owed a crap load of back taxes to the govt. They said that Pauly signed over all the control to their accountant while Rocky was in Russia training. The accountant then stole all their money. The accountant, never paid any of the taxes for Rocky so he was in the whole. That is why they auctioned off all his stuff int he begining, which is also why he was able to move into the old house. It was Pauly's and the govt couldnt touch it. He was gonna get back on his feet, but he was too sick to fight and Adrian just wanted him out of that life.

Ok, but why wasn't he doing commercials. Hell, the Drago fight would have made him the biggest athlete on the planet. Hell, he'd be such an American hero, you'd like that the President would have been giving him a medal in the Rose Garden, IRS be damned.

And wasn't it rather absurd that this sinister accountant was never even a character? And why couldn't they sue him?

drwho
07-23-2006, 12:13 PM
What a waste. I have no interest in watching a 60 year old get in the ring. Whatever studio that had the balls to do this 20 years after the last movie came out is insane. Rocky VS an Iranian released on 4th of July I think would bring people in. You forget that Rocky had his brains mashed in so much he kind of goes in and out of reality.

Donald M.
07-23-2006, 12:27 PM
I would have liked to have seen my idea for a sixth Rocky flick get made: Rocky son has become a fighter despite his father's objections. With the 20th anniversary of the original Rocky Balboa/Apollo Creed fight approaching, an enterprising fight promoter comes up with the idea to pit Rocky's son against the current champ. Rocky is against the ide, but his son decides to do it, not least because of the money involved.

The kid loses badly and winds up in a coma, prompting Rocky to come out of retirement to challenge the champ to an exhibition match which, being Rocky, he would naturally win.

The movie ends with the kid waking up from the coma and marrying his girl and using the proceeds from the disastrous title match to start a new life for himself and Rocky couldn't be prouder.

Of course, this looks like it could actually be good though. That's what trailers are designed to do though. I'm curiousabout this one, but not so curious I can't wait for the dvd.

the_big_billbowski
07-23-2006, 12:29 PM
Ok, but why wasn't he doing commercials. Hell, the Drago fight would have made him the biggest athlete on the planet. Hell, he'd be such an American hero, you'd like that the President would have been giving him a medal in the Rose Garden, IRS be damned.

And wasn't it rather absurd that this sinister accountant was never even a character? And why couldn't they sue him?

I'm with you . thier was definetly some wholes in the plot, but they did at least explain why he didnt have any money right away. Plus we do know that Rocky can't really do endorsements from Rocky 2. He kept messing them up because he was kind of punchy.

spoon_jenkins
07-23-2006, 01:48 PM
Stallone might have even had A-list talent wise. Keep in mind, dude won the Academy Award. It's just it was way easier, both in terms of pathos, and on the pocketbook, for him to become a megastar than a good actor.
According to IMDB, he was just nominated for acting and writing. He didn't win an Oscar (unless maybe he was a producer and got it for Best Picture).

Yeah, First Blood involves genuine acting, not just 'splosions. Sly does a good job. I do feel, however, that some of the praise I've heard for First Blood is out of proportion to the film.

From the trailer, Rocky Balboa is different from what I expected. I thought it'd be more of a downer. I'm kind of a glad they're seemingly evolving Paulie into a more positive character instead of yet another reversion to the scumbag foil.

Forefinger
07-23-2006, 02:09 PM

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I didn't get wood, but I'm going to watch this. I'm a huge fan of the Rocky movies.

GammaPro
07-25-2006, 12:07 AM
:o

It does my heart good to see so much Rocky love.

K.O.V.G
11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
There is a new rocky movie coming out if anyone is interested.

MaxofSteel
11-28-2006, 06:08 PM
Seems cool. Although I hope they didn't make this movie only for the sake of making it. Who's the director?

SnowTrooper
11-28-2006, 06:20 PM
A new Rocky movie is pretty dumb, but nowhere near as dumb as the new Rambo movie that is in the works. Stallone must be either broke or bored.

K.O.V.G
11-28-2006, 06:38 PM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/preview/1808405668 this is what the movie is about and heres a trialer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0biU_lZE0Xc

GrimShadow
11-28-2006, 06:50 PM
I have no interest in seeing it. To me this is nothing but a sad attempt of Stallone trying to get back into the game since his fame is just about fizzled out.

The Rocky franchise should have stopped at Rocky V.

K.O.V.G
11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
this movie looks badass to me i'm gonna see it I don't really care about peoples career I just wanna see a good movie which i'm sure this will be. I gotta say is there are always haters out there

the_big_billbowski
11-28-2006, 06:56 PM
I for one am VERY excited about this movie. Both previews i've seen look great. Now granted great previews don't equal great movie, but I will be there possibly x-mas day to see this movie. I dont want Rocky V to the end as it was crappy. I hope this one is good so the series can end as good as it started.

drwho
11-28-2006, 07:10 PM
This movie is gonna be so formulaic and predictable if i see it i would have to blow my brains out. As for what will happen rocky will have one last big match thaT he wins and then he drops deaD in the ring.

dougputhoff
11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
There is a new rocky movie coming out if anyone is interested.

Is Bullwinkle in it?

How about Boris and Natasha?

hoffmandu
11-28-2006, 09:01 PM
I'm gonna be seeing that, for certain. Yeah, he's old, and the series hasn't exactly excelled in the sequel department. I'll be waiting for the scene when Stallone is down, on his way out, and Mickey starts talking to him, ghost style. Cue the theme song, cue the comeback, cue my bigass grin. It's Rocky for christssake, fellas, rock on.

The Batman
11-29-2006, 04:40 AM
This movie looks like it could be fun and maybe even a little interesting too. There's definately alot of thematic material to work with there and I like the metatextual element involved given the status of Stallone's current career.

It remains to be seen if the movie actually is fun and if it actually works with this material.

Lord of Denial
11-29-2006, 04:43 AM
I'm gonna be seeing that, for certain. Yeah, he's old, and the series hasn't exactly excelled in the sequel department. I'll be waiting for the scene when Stallone is down, on his way out, and Mickey starts talking to him, ghost style. Cue the theme song, cue the comeback, cue my bigass grin. It's Rocky for christssake, fellas, rock on.

I agree.

Ever since I was a little kid Rocky has been one of those characters that made me cheer for them and I get a rush everytime I see his comebacks and victories and even his defeats.

I am looking forward to this movie.

GammaPro
11-30-2006, 12:49 AM
A new Rocky movie is pretty dumb, but nowhere near as dumb as the new Rambo movie that is in the works. Stallone must be either broke or bored.

Bored or rejected by a fickle fan base? The same people who loved him in the '80s shun him now. He tried to branch out and do other types of films and people didn't buy it. They bought into that dumb, testosterone driven persona he created and seemed to confuse that with the real person.

The man is an accomplished writer and artist and was at one time the highest paid actor in the world. He's no dummy.

DDM
11-30-2006, 07:26 AM
Bored or rejected by a fickle fan base? The same people who loved him in the '80s shun him now. He tried to branch out and do other types of films and people didn't buy it. They bought into that dumb, testosterone driven persona he created and seemed to confuse that with the real person.

The man is an accomplished writer and artist and was at one time the highest paid actor in the world. He's no dummy.

Sylvestor Stallone is too old to be playing Rocky Balboa; people want to remember Rocky from the first movie--not the sequels.

Nate Grey
11-30-2006, 08:06 AM
I think the Rambo franchise has more legs than the Rocky one. But then again I think this is intended to be the true closer to the Rocky series, aka "Rocky 6: Sorry About the Last Sequel".

And, what's funny is, the fact that Rocky IS too old to be boxing IS the focal point of the story. Its the whole point, THE story. Its how they're making him an underdog again. I'm curious to see how they pull it off, so...I'll be there Christmas day. :)

Nefarius
11-30-2006, 09:15 AM
Good or bad,i'm gonna see that movie because he's the freaking Rocky!!!!

redlantern2051
02-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Just saw this movie. Amazing. I LOVED IT. Fine work, Sly, you had me in tears almost all film, and I thought it was a great movie. Really tugged the heart strings. Fine work, Sly!

visionII
02-24-2007, 06:43 AM
I loved it. The 2nd best Rocky :)

The Joker
02-25-2007, 01:34 AM
Fantastic film!

Rocky Balboa finally gave the Rocky series a great finale that it most definately deserved after the lackluster Rocky V. As it definately tied into Rocky 1 & 2, with the films tone and characterization, than the fun, and often fantastical Rocky 3 & 4. Highly recommended.

darkkeeperjr
03-25-2007, 03:01 AM
Can anyone tell me about the deleted ending on the DVD?

madsci
03-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Can anyone tell me about the deleted ending on the DVD?

From what I've read, the alternate ending is....
Rocky WINS, beating Dixon. The main difference is that he STAYS in the ring when the announcements made.

The bad thing about this alternate ending is it undermines the ENTIRE film. It wasn't about winning, it's about going the distance.

In the end, Stallone chose the right ending.

Deathstroke
03-25-2007, 10:14 AM
From what I've read, the alternate ending is....
Rocky WINS, beating Dixon. The main difference is that he STAYS in the ring when the announcements made.

The bad thing about this alternate ending is it undermines the ENTIRE film. It wasn't about winning, it's about going the distance.

Absolutely true. The alternate ending stinks.

Sean Walsh
03-25-2007, 10:53 AM

I'm sure there are lots of people who wanted to see that alternative ending. Me being one of them. Call it satisfaction, if you will, to see his struggle end up with the big win.

I haven't seen the DVD and this other ending, but I absolutely agree that the one we got *was* the right one. I think he just shot both endings so that, when the DVD rolled around, we could all get both.

Infra-Man
03-25-2007, 12:39 PM
I heard the alternate ending involved Balboa and Dixon teaming up to save Washington D.C. from an invading army of Drago clones led by the real Ivan Drago. Could be wrong.

In all seriousness, Rocky Balboa was a lot better than I thought it would be. Second best movie in the series (nothing touches the original).

J. Robb
03-25-2007, 01:17 PM
"Rocky Balboa" didn't even seem like a real movie to me, it was just a sentimental rehash of the original, especially the scenes where Rocky is literally describing scenes from it. Stallone obviously wanted to desperately "recapture the magic" of the first film, but instead just tried to recreate it, which isn't the same thing.

Young Avenger
05-21-2007, 08:31 PM
Brought this film on DVD eariler today and I loved it. I marked out seeing Spider Rico and little Marie from the original film. It's good seeing them again.

Billy Parker
05-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Awesome movie, one of the best of the 6. 'Nuff Said!

cactusmaac
07-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Excellent, excellent movie. Had the same heart and genuine quality the first Rocky did. Definite DVD purchase. Even the deleted scenes were quality. Stallone's pharmacist should have got some kind of award.

Lord of Denial
07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm sure there are lots of people who wanted to see that alternative ending. Me being one of them. Call it satisfaction, if you will, to see his struggle end up with the big win.

I haven't seen the DVD and this other ending, but I absolutely agree that the one we got *was* the right one. I think he just shot both endings so that, when the DVD rolled around, we could all get both.

Yeah I think it was really about coming full circle. Winning would have killed that.