PDA

View Full Version : Valiant Comics

annihilator
07-09-2006, 08:00 PM
This comic company was around in the 90's and was very popular for a while. HAve you ever read any Valiant comics? Which titles were good?

hshaukat
07-09-2006, 09:24 PM
I used to read a lot of the Valiant titles. I revisted some of them a few months ago, and sadly they just don't stack up these days. I found them compelling back when they were new, but I find them bland now.

That being said, my favorite of the Valiant titles was definitely Harbinger. It was more of a soap-opera than anything else if you ask me, but I liked it.

I was a big fan of their big UNITY crossover as well.

Ryan Day
07-09-2006, 09:32 PM
Barry Windsor-Smith's 12-issue run on Archer & Armstrong remains one of my favourite comics ever; I think it still holds up very well. Very unique, funny book with fantastic art.

I really enjoyed Harbinger at the time, though I haven't re-read it in years. Shadowman was excellent for a while; just stop reading before Aerosmith shows up. Solar did some really interesting stuff.

Generally, I think most people would recommend the early stuff: Lots of great creators working on interesting concepts that weren't necessarily superhero-centric, until things just fell apart from overexposure and non-stop hype. Once they got into the second wave of titles, like HARDcorps, Turok, Ninjak, and that team-up book (Secret Something?), things just got lame.

annihilator
07-09-2006, 09:36 PM
So titles like Ninjak and Bloodshot, which were later Valiant titles aren't good?

Ryan Day
07-09-2006, 09:41 PM
So titles like Ninjak and Bloodshot, which were later Valiant titles aren't good?

IMO, anyway. Some people may disagree; really, I think Bloodshot was probably the beginning of the end, as it was a massively hyped book with a super-nifty Chromium cover that starred a fairly generic anti-hero with guns. Heck, it was competing for hype with the Death of Superman. Like most of the rest of the industry, Valiant expanded too quickly and kind of collapsed; too much hype, too many super-duper-fancy-foil-holo covers.

I did enjoy John Ostrander's Magnus, though. That came later on (and began with a fancy all-foil cover.

Young Avenger
07-09-2006, 10:19 PM
IMO, anyway. Some people may disagree; really, I think Bloodshot was probably the beginning of the end, as it was a massively hyped book with a super-nifty Chromium cover that starred a fairly generic anti-hero with guns. Heck, it was competing for hype with the Death of Superman. Like most of the rest of the industry, Valiant expanded too quickly and kind of collapsed; too much hype, too many super-duper-fancy-foil-holo covers.

I did enjoy John Ostrander's Magnus, though. That came later on (and began with a fancy all-foil cover.

I thought the beginning of the end was when video game publisher Acclaim brought the company.

sePL
07-10-2006, 04:49 AM
I enjoyed the Rai (and the Future Force)TPB.
X-O Manowar TBP was very entertaining. It has great artwork and a well written story.
Try Solar Alpha/Omega ? collection. Really great. This Solar guy puts Superman in his pocket.

founder81
07-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Simple way to tell if a valiant books is good

Begging -> Unity = good stuff

Post unity -> Choas Effect = mostly good

Post Choas effect -> opinoins vary, imo not very good stuff

---

A not so simple way to tell if a book is good

Company with Jim SHooter at the helm = good stuff

After Shooter was pushed out, but BWS and Bob Layton still in creative control = mostly good

After all the talented creators lost control (and BWS and Bob Layton left) = opinoins vary, imo not good stuff.

Schmakt
07-10-2006, 07:25 AM
I managed to round up a full collection of all Valiant comics published... but was never able to read past Birthquake... I suppose I should get around to that at some point...

like founder81 said... all the Pre-Unity stuff, I found enjoyable. And the Unity saga itself was sweet. Rai was probably my favorite tho. After it became Rai and the Future Force... a big thumbs down. Shadowman tho... I enjoyed that pretty much until the end. Ninjak and Bloodshot were ok, but nothing spectacular. I kind of liked HardCorps for a while too...

and early Secret Weapons... after the team changed, I hated this book so much...

I always thought Eternal Warrior had some really cool ideas in it as well. Maybe my favorite book - when considering its full run.

Quato
08-05-2006, 10:32 AM
Anything published before Rai #0 is good (including Rai #1-8 which were published prior). Anything after Rai #0 is crap... utter crap. The wrestling & nintendo comics are even better than the stuff after rai #0.

Q

matt levin
08-05-2006, 11:24 AM
I liked Archer and Armstrong a lot, and there was a super-group of teens.... confusing it with DNAgents and Liberty Force and Next Men and all those; but I remember liking Valiant's take on the idea. Or am I really confusing things!?

I liked Archer and Armstrong a lot, certain for the first couple of years!

Matt

riftt
08-06-2006, 09:59 PM
shouldnt this be in classic comics?

there are plenty of good valiants post rai #0

Yoda
08-07-2006, 06:00 AM
I just picked up the entire Unity cross over, Magus 1-4, Shadowman #1 and Archer & Armstrong #0 & 8. I'm surprised how well they hold up actually, having read them when they first came out and sold them off before Valiant implodeded. I'd really like to track down a run of Solar.

I'd say the early stuff definitely holds up as quality comics, and for the later stuff the Magnus Malev War is a good run.

Schmakt
08-07-2006, 09:31 AM
I just picked up the entire Unity cross over, Magus 1-4, Shadowman #1 and Archer & Armstrong #0 & 8. I'm surprised how well they hold up actually, having read them when they first came out and sold them off before Valiant implodeded. I'd really like to track down a run of Solar.

I'd say the early stuff definitely holds up as quality comics, and for the later stuff the Magnus Malev War is a good run.

check www.valiantfans.com :)

drwho
08-07-2006, 11:23 AM
I did try alot of valiant books when they first came out. My faves were

Solar
Bloodshot- The character had a neat look and was a cool killing machine
Dr. Mirage- interesting character with a cool rivalry with Master Darque
Turok- This book was pretty fun even though each storyline centered around which new evil dinasaur shows up next.
HardCorps- The book was an interesting take on a team book
X-Omanowar- This book always had good art and writing.

When Valiant tried to relaunch the books as ACClaim the titles that I enjoyed were X-O Manowar and they had an interesting new take on Shadowman.

Yoda
08-07-2006, 03:22 PM
Was the Malev War in Magnus ever resolved before the titles were cancelled? I stopped reading up around #34 - the Christmas issue.

founder81
08-08-2006, 07:20 AM
Was the Malev War in Magnus ever resolved before the titles were cancelled? I stopped reading up around #34 - the Christmas issue.

It was resolved and had an epilogue issue. But the ending wasn't satisfactory and seemed rushed. The nice pace the story enjoyed seemed to go into over drive when Tony Bedard took over (It looked like he was told to "get this story done so we can move on". His tales just seemed so rushed to me)

Gilad took some refugees to the moon and they never said why he never came back. This could have been planned to be a one-shot and never just never happened.

The North Am free-will robs were all slaughtered just so the story could have a "future with no robots". The worst thing about this, after fighting for their right to have independence, Magnus turned a blind eye to their slaughter.

Yoda
08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
It was resolved and had an epilogue issue. But the ending wasn't satisfactory and seemed rushed. The nice pace the story enjoyed seemed to go into over drive when Tony Bedard took over (It looked like he was told to "get this story done so we can move on". His tales just seemed so rushed to me)

Gilad took some refugees to the moon and they never said why he never came back. This could have been planned to be a one-shot and never just never happened.

The North Am free-will robs were all slaughtered just so the story could have a "future with no robots". The worst thing about this, after fighting for their right to have independence, Magnus turned a blind eye to their slaughter.

Not to be a pain in the ass, but how was the war resolved?

SUPERECWFAN1
08-08-2006, 04:43 PM
I have a lot of the Vallient books post Birthquake and even people told me it paled to when Shooter was in control. The man maybe a tough asshole , but he knew what buttons to push to be creative.

shaxper
08-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Not to be a pain in the ass, but how was the war resolved?

The Malev queen transferred it's intelligence to Rai and then Magnus snapped Rai's neck. Afterward, Magnus became the big hero that all the surviving world leaders rallied behind. He quickly became head of the new Terran government and personally oversaw much of the reconstruction of Earth.

I feel Magnus was a strong title from begining to end, largely because various writers that came aboard weren't afraid to shake things up in major ways. The first twenty issues took the old Manning story and shook it up by making Magnus full of self-doubt and willing to sacrifice his standing in North Am for the sake of his ideals. The Malev War shook things up again by devastating North Am (and the rest of the Earth) with an unstoppable alien menace. The survivor drama was far more exciting for me than the self-doubting heroics of the earlier issues. Then the next team changed things up again by fastforwarding into the future, where Magnus was an aging politician that had sold out on his convictions without ever realizing it. The new cast of characters introduced in this Magnus era made it more of a fascinating ensemble series, full of compelling personas. Finally, Giffin tried to bring Magnus back to his troubled, less comfortable days by killing him and resurrecting him as a cyborg. Before Giffin could get anywhere withthis development, the word came down from Acclaim that the series would be ending in only a few issues. All things considered, Giffin wrapped it up the best that he could.

But the Magnus title, in general, was one experiment after another. It was never stagnant. As a result, Magnus's life was thoroughly compelling and full of dramatic changes. Every so often, I still pull out the full run and read it all the way through again. It's a powerful series. More unique visions thrown together on that title than in the rest of the Valiant universe combined.

Other recommendations:

X-O Manowar prior to Unity
Early Eternal Warrior and Archer & Armstrong
Solar up to the mid 30s
Rai up to #8
Rai after #8 if you're also reading the Magnus stuff
Timewalker (all of it)
Harbinger up to #25

But Magnus is the best in my book.

Yoda
08-09-2006, 08:01 AM
Harbinger up to #25.

Ohh, i had forgotten about Harbring #25 and the runup to it! That was great, and #25 is still one of my favorite comics, probably one of the few Valiants i still have bagged & boarded in my collection at home. Great fight scenes and interaction between Sting and Harada was great too!

Was Sting's story ever resolved? I'm really sorry to be so annoying with these questions, if anyone can point me to a website that has summaries i'd appreciate it!

shaxper
08-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Ohh, i had forgotten about Harbring #25 and the runup to it! That was great, and #25 is still one of my favorite comics, probably one of the few Valiants i still have bagged & boarded in my collection at home. Great fight scenes and interaction between Sting and Harada was great too!

I haven't read #25 since it was first published. At the time, I was impressed by the battle, but also surprised that there wasn't more of a buildup. There's this face off and now the whole team's missing. That was it. I would have liked a more epic buildup to the final confrontation between Peter and Harada.

Was Sting's story ever resolved?

Sort of. He returned as The Visitor sometime later, and (I believe) surfaced in an Archies monestary somewhere in the 4000 AD future of Magnus and Rai.

I'm really sorry to be so annoying with these questions, if anyone can point me to a website that has summaries i'd appreciate it!

Don't be sorry. I love talking Valiant and hope you'll ask many more questions for us to answer!

As for a website, www.valiantcomics.com is the source for all things Valiant. I haven't been to their discussion forum for a while because the range of conversation is too limited, so I hope you'll continue to bring some of your Valiant talk here.

Schmakt
08-09-2006, 09:34 AM

Was Sting's story ever resolved? I'm really sorry to be so annoying with these questions, if anyone can point me to a website that has summaries i'd appreciate it!

Mostly...
Check out the Visitor series by Kevin VanHook...

If you plan on reading them, I recommend not reading the spoiler below...

Harada has a new super-hero guy called The Harbinger... who shows up about the same time that a new super-hero guy from outer space called The Visitor does. Stuff happens... the two fight... eventually the Visitor wins and, by the end, it's revealed that The Harbinger is actually Pete Stancheck from the future and The Visitor is the real-world Pete Stancheck.

Even tho I just finished reading these like a week ago, I'm having a hard time thinking of any interesting details... perhaps someone else can remember better? I didn't really like the series tho... It just... it didn't seem like Peter.

EDIT: Crap, too slow... better answer from shaxper anyway. :)

shaxper
08-09-2006, 12:34 PM
EDIT: Crap, too slow... better answer from shaxper anyway. :)

Nah, yours was much more thorough. I never actually read the Visitor comics, so much of what you posted was news to me.

Yoda
08-09-2006, 12:36 PM
I haven't read #25 since it was first published. At the time, I was impressed by the battle, but also surprised that there wasn't more of a buildup. There's this face off and now the whole team's missing. That was it. I would have liked a more epic buildup to the final confrontation between Peter and Harada.

While i no longer have the issues, i recall the buildup being pretty good. I'm thinking more along the lines from the point where Harada sent Kris, Flamingo and Zephyr to attack Pete, and how Harada basically ripped Pete's life apart in an issue or two. But you're right the actual conversation between Pete & Harada in issue 25, preceding the battle was a little sparse.

Although i never could figure out if Harada was being serious about controling Kris and everyone since the beginning. Was that ever resolved? It didn't really work for me because of the whole Torque/pregnant with Magnus thing.

And thanks for the link!

shaxper
08-09-2006, 12:47 PM
While i no longer have the issues, i recall the buildup being pretty good. I'm thinking more along the lines from the point where Harada sent Kris, Flamingo and Zephyr to attack Pete, and how Harada basically ripped Pete's life apart in an issue or two. But you're right the actual conversation between Pete & Harada in issue 25, preceding the battle was a little sparse.

I just figure that if you're going to end everything in one final bang, the events leading up to that ending should be slow brewing for quite a while beforehand. I had no idea the series was going to end when I picked up #25. I didn't really get the magnitude of what was happening until I saw #26 the next month and realized that the group really wasn't coming back.

Although i never could figure out if Harada was being serious about controling Kris and everyone since the beginning. Was that ever resolved? It didn't really work for me because of the whole Torque/pregnant with Magnus thing.

I don't know that it was ever explained, but I also don't think it was ever mentioned again. The Magnus title talked about Kris, the team's involvement in Unity, and the early foundations of the Harbinger wars a few times after #25, and mind control never came into the discussion.

And thanks for the link!

No prob!

founder81
08-10-2006, 05:37 AM
I believe the mind control aspect was a spur of the moment decision. Never given prior or post thought.

Roquefort Raider
08-10-2006, 05:58 AM
I believe the mind control aspect was a spur of the moment decision. Never given prior or post thought.

True, but it nevertheless made good sense considering the not-quite passionate attitude of Kris regarding Peter; plotwise, it was a devastating moment for the poor guy.

shaxper
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
True, but it nevertheless made good sense considering the not-quite passionate attitude of Kris regarding Peter; plotwise, it was a devastating moment for the poor guy.

Yes, but it was also one of those plot devises that came out of absolutely nowhere to undermine everything we'd ever loved about the series. It's really no less frustrating than that final issue of X-O Manowar where we find out that the entire Valiant Universe was just Arick's dream.

Schmakt
08-11-2006, 09:11 AM
Yes, but it was also one of those plot devises that came out of absolutely nowhere to undermine everything we'd ever loved about the series. It's really no less frustrating than that final issue of X-O Manowar where we find out that the entire Valiant Universe was just Arick's dream.

I had never read the end of Valiant comics... I had gotten halfway through Birthquake last October and then just stopped... a week ago, tho, I finally just picked up X-O and The Visitor to finish them both off. The final X-O storyline was TERRIBLE. Every issue seemed to have the same format, and then the actual last issue? damn. VERY disappointing.

SonicDan over on the Valiant boards posted this:

I have also stated in the past that my story for X-O Manowar #68 was a HUGE mistake. I was upset by the plans that the company had to revamp the character, so I concocted that dumbass story that negated my contributions to the legacy of X-O--more or less returning it to a blank slate.

I know it was stupid--but I had had enough of Acclaim and their petty meddling. I apologize to all X-O fans for that unfortunate storyline.

from this thread: http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11444

shaxper
08-11-2006, 01:23 PM
I had never read the end of Valiant comics... I had gotten halfway through Birthquake last October and then just stopped... a week ago, tho, I finally just picked up X-O and The Visitor to finish them both off. The final X-O storyline was TERRIBLE. Every issue seemed to have the same format, and then the actual last issue? damn. VERY disappointing.

SonicDan over on the Valiant boards posted this:

from this thread: http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11444

Wow. Awesome quote.

The saddest part is that the writer for the second volume of X-O never even read the old series, so that last-ditch effort to save continuity still went unfulfilled.

Schmakt
08-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow. Awesome quote.

The saddest part is that the writer for the second volume of X-O never even read the old series, so that last-ditch effort to save continuity still went unfulfilled.

also from the valiantcomics.com message board...
http://valiantfans.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11551

there is much much more on that thread... this board just limits the amount I can post... grrr...

Dragging VALIANT into the 21st Century
Jeff Gomez: "Obviously I've entertained the notion of what it would be like to return to VALIANT and bring it back. My company, Starlight Runner, has gone on to work with Hasbro, Mattel, Disney, and some of their biggest intellectual properties. And in order to engender the trust of these huge entertainment corporations, we had to learn to get down to what in business terms is called the brand essence of the intellectual property.
"We had to find the core messages, values and style of each of these major brands in order to work with them in such a way that they can be grown into something that's still recognizable to the fans, and yet extendable to all media: comic books, video games, novels, toys, animated and live-action movies. Because you know, modern times require a multimedia approach.
"So what I'd do is revisit VALIANT and try to figure out why it was so special to you, the fans—what messages VALIANT was trying to communicate, and how it made the connections that it did. How it created the interest on the part of maybe not millions and millions of people, but tens if not hundreds of thousands—some of whom have gone so far as to set up this reunion. What was that message? And then take the primary iconic characters of the universe and do the same thing for each one of them. That's your starting point for rebooting this thing."
Jeff continues, "As far as picking up exactly where we left off... I'm not so sure, because where we left off was unfortunately miniscule. As much as I love the core fans—we would need to be able to speak to a tremendous number of people with a relaunch of the VALIANT universe. What is owed to the fans is to recreate these characters as powerful icons that have the same messages that made a powerful connection for you when you first read them. The new universe will fall in naturally around them after this happens.
"I think a VALIANT universe revival could be really something exciting and with huge potential. With the advent of downloadable and advanced media content, there is going to be a hunger for a property with superhero elements, but isn't Superman carrying a battleship somewhere. That was the very attractive thing about VALIANT—it wasn't of such a scale that you needed a hundred million dollars to turn it into a movie. I'm pleased about that—and from the little I know about the new owners of the VALIANT intellectual property, I believe they may be thinking exactly along those lines. I find it very encouraging."
[More on who the new owners of the VALIANT Universe are and what they might be intending in my next column!]
Serge adds, "From a writer's standpoint, I agree with the reinvention of the icon. I was trying to think of what drew the fans... when I was reading the archive material of VH1 in preparation for my work on the VH2 series. It didn't feel like the lines were driven by merchandising and profit—I mean, that’s part of the business, but it was never at the forefront. I had gotten to a point as a reader of comics where you could open up Superman or Batman and say, 'Oh, they're setting up the new movie or the new action figure,' and I never got that impression from VALIANT... except for the very end."
"That fricking goat!" Jeff blurts out with a wicked smile.
A World Without Solar?
A major consideration in any discussion of a possible VALIANT relaunch is the fact that legally, the original VALIANT Universe is a house divided—the rights to three popular characters, Solar, Magnus, and Turok, being held by a separate company.
Alex: "I think what you're dealing with there are the realities of the legal system. I think you'd either have to re-approach them, or they would just have to live with the fact that those contracts have expired. It's tough, because Solar was originally designed to be the progenitor of the entire universe—he was literally the mother of the entire universe."
Jeff: "If you don't have the rights, you have to just think on your feet and come up with something else."
Rags: "It's kind of like imaging the DCU without Batman or Superman—there are certain characters that are just there to leave their stamp. This is a fact of life, and I don't know if it warrants going after those characters to reintegrate them into something that no longer exists. If Superman or Wonder Woman were gone, they might have to be reinvented to fill that niche in the universe. It's a real tough one."

shaxper
08-11-2006, 11:14 PM
Of course, his plans for a new Valiant universe are sort of moot. Not only have the new owners been rather quiet, but there are some copyright issues with the character names now and Magnus, Solar, and Turok are no longer part of that property either. A new Valiant revival would require pushing through a lot of legal clutter. And I'd still like to see Jim Shooter back at the head should a revival ever happen.

Christopher Cross Is God
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM

I would be one of the people who disagrees where Ninjak is concerned, but then I was never a huge Valiant fan, anyway. One thing that really turned me off from Valiant was the art. I'm not into Barry Windsor-Smith, and it seemed like the majority of Valiant's artists were BWS clones (Unless BWS, himself, was doing the artwork for all those different titles early on).

I've just begun acquiring the first 10 issues of Solar (Haven't gotten them all yet, but have gotten a few here & there)......It's good, but not as good as I expected it to be, given all the hype surrounding Pre-Unity Valiant.

Ninjak, I felt, was pretty good during the beginning, then it got rather erratic with different artists and such at the helm.......I didn't think Ninjak was a "great" comic, but it was an enjoyable read. Definitely the best out of that newer crop which came out of Valiant at the time......I do have to say, he wasn't the most creative character, sort of a Batman/James Bond amalgam with a ninja twist.

NICK_D
08-18-2007, 08:13 PM
This comic company was around in the 90's and was very popular for a while. HAve you ever read any Valiant comics? Which titles were good?

X-O Man O War was good
Bloodshot
Magnus Robot Fighter
Solar were my favorite Titles
Ninjak was alright

the goddamn batman
08-18-2007, 08:24 PM
I liked Rai. Like, the original 7 issues.

The Future Force was ok, and the third Rai I never bothered with.

I'd like the Original Rai to return, and get a longer run. I'd buy that.

stingerman
08-21-2007, 10:18 PM

pre unity, pre shooter leaving was good.

lboinyamouf4sho
08-23-2007, 12:39 AM
I thought the beginning of the end was when video game publisher Acclaim brought the company.

When Valiant tried to relaunch the books as ACClaim the titles that I enjoyed were X-O Manowar and they had an interesting new take on Shadowman.

i loved issues 1-4 of acclaims shadowman by garth ennis & ashley wood, LOVED IT.

Roquefort Raider
08-27-2007, 05:40 PM
It's really no less frustrating than that final issue of X-O Manowar where we find out that the entire Valiant Universe was just Arick's dream.

Whaaaaaaaaaat??? REALLY???

Man, Valiant had totally lost it by the end...

stingerman
08-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Whaaaaaaaaaat??? REALLY???

Man, Valiant had totally lost it by the end...

Wow! I didnt know that either! Sh#t! The early investors were only in it for the short term gain! That is why Valiant took a dump!

Pil
08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
You've got to be wondering what they were smoking when they got this idea. In the contest of turning great ideas into crap, they were really going for the gold.

It gets worse. The new Valiant universe from Acclaim is due to Aric being moved back to his own time by Solar, thus creating a new time line. Exactly how they could get a new time line if the old universe was a dream was never explained.

drwho
08-28-2007, 10:39 AM
i was a pretty devoted valiant fans. my fave titles were

Blood shot- first 15 issues. Also check it the Acclaim reluanch pretty good
Solar- First 35 issues
XOManowar- first 30 issues and Also check out the acclaim one
Eternal Warrios first 20 issues
Shadowman - First 20 issues and also check out the Acclaim one
Quantum and Woody- The best
Dr. Mirage great stuff.
Turok I liked for about the first 6 issues

Nice variety too bad valiant expanded too fast an imploded on itself. I did think it was interesting that Armstrong, Eternal Warrior, and Time Walker were brothers.

stingerman
08-30-2007, 07:44 PM
You've got to be wondering what they were smoking when they got this idea. In the contest of turning great ideas into crap, they were really going for the gold.

It gets worse. The new Valiant universe from Acclaim is due to Aric being moved back to his own time by Solar, thus creating a new time line. Exactly how they could get a new time line if the old universe was a dream was never explained.

So Aric went back in time *again?* and did he have the X-O armor?

Pil
08-31-2007, 08:19 AM
So Aric went back in time *again?* and did he have the X-O armor?

The armor was brought back in time with him (again), which is how it was passed on through the new time line to be used by the Nazis and ending up with the U.S. military. They never got around to telling more than Solar moving him back in time in one or two pictures.

stingerman
08-31-2007, 09:18 PM
The armor was brought back in time with him (again), which is how it was passed on through the new time line to be used by the Nazis and ending up with the U.S. military. They never got around to telling more than Solar moving him back in time in one or two pictures.

I just bought most of the XO issues on ebay not too long ago. I didnt have the final issues though. Im glad I dont. Man, I hope they bring him back!

Beria
09-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Archer and Armstrong was witty, intelligent and a joy to read. The first 10 or so issues of Solar were good stuff, especially the Windsor-Smith arc.

stingerman
09-12-2007, 05:05 PM
Anybody hear they cancelled the Harbinger HC that was supposed to come out today? I went to my LCS to pick it up and he told me it said cancelled on his order sheet last week.

Schmakt
09-12-2007, 08:51 PM
It's not cancelled... they just changed distribution... They're no longer going through Diamond but through, what I understand to be, their own independent distributor. Comic shops were supposed to get new order forms to replace their orders through the new distributor instead of Diamond. If they ordered through the new distributor, it looks like late September... (which is also what Barnes & Noble is saying)

Some copies from amazon were definitely shipped as some people already have the book in hand. I'm not sure how that happened, but I am pretty sure that all orders that haven't already been fulfilled will be waiting for the books from the new distributor...

Sorry it's not totally clear... I'm only vaguely remembering details... the book's definitely not cancelled tho. :)

(I'm still waiting for mine too)

stingerman
09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
It's not cancelled... they just changed distribution... They're no longer going through Diamond but through, what I understand to be, their own independent distributor. Comic shops were supposed to get new order forms to replace their orders through the new distributor instead of Diamond. If they ordered through the new distributor, it looks like late September... (which is also what Barnes & Noble is saying)

Some copies from amazon were definitely shipped as some people already have the book in hand. I'm not sure how that happened, but I am pretty sure that all orders that haven't already been fulfilled will be waiting for the books from the new distributor...

Sorry it's not totally clear... I'm only vaguely remembering details... the book's definitely not cancelled tho. :)

(I'm still waiting for mine too)

Yeah I found out from newsarama that it was a legal dispute between valiant and diamond or something. How are comic shops supposed to know that they can get it from another source? Diamonds not gonna tell them- I guess. Its only available directly from the publisher from what I heard.

HMPL
09-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I was in Midtown Comics yesterday and today, and they had them.

Christopher Cross Is God
04-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I bought & read the Harbinger hardcover a few months ago, and the X-O Manowar hardcover today.

Harbinger wasn't bad. It had a few flaws, but overall, I thought it was an alright storyline.

X-O Manowar, I thought the first 2-3 issues were just OK, but I loved what comprised of issues 4-6..........And I have to say, issue #0 was garbage.

The new story in X-O Manowar ("Rise of Lydia") wasn't bad.

I'm wondering what Valiant will release as the next hardcover. I'm hoping it's either Magnus Robot Fighter or Solar......Magnus, because from the good things people say about the title, I'm intrigued to read the early issues.....And I'm hoping for a Solar hardcover because I might appreciate the title more if I was able to read the early story-arcs in full.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Unity hardcover as well.

founder81
04-24-2008, 05:16 AM
I'm wondering what Valiant will release as the next hardcover. I'm hoping it's either Magnus Robot Fighter or Solar......Magnus, because from the good things people say about the title, I'm intrigued to read the early issues.....And I'm hoping for a Solar hardcover because I might appreciate the title more if I was able to read the early story-arcs in full.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Unity hardcover as well.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Magnus, Solar, and Turok is what is keeping most of Valiant in limbo. Valiant essentially rented the characters from another party.

TROUBLEZ
04-24-2008, 05:26 PM
I didn't know that Solar, Turok and others were originally Gold Key properties, and were different than the Valiant versions of them.

Did anyone complain about the change of origins, backgrounds etc? Cuz now, one little thing like Wonder Woman getting a secret identity and everyone's complaining (myself included). But I never hear anyone talking bad about the changes to Solar or other heroes.

Were the changes that good, people preferred them to the originals, or is it just because the internet forums weren't around then and no one got a chance to vent, and hold on to their dissatisfaction?

John Asperger
04-24-2008, 06:07 PM
...Hey , I distinctly remember that , when Valiant started , Shooter announced that they would be using ( Outside of " regular " super-hero stuff here , obviously . ) characters from the Chicago Tribune/Tribune Media Services stable of comic strip characters .
I am quite sure that I read this at the time .
( I remember seeing Shooter on QVC , I think it was , announcing Valiant . )
That would be Dick Tracy , Terry and the Pirates , ( Little Orphan ) Annie , Mary Perkins...I thought then that a Smokey Stover one-shot in Prestige Format would be a treat !
Obviously , nothing happened with this .
Does anybody here know why ?????????
( PERHAPS someone covered this in all the pages of this (tho' I doubt it)...If so , I sowwy .:evilangry: :biggrin: )

Christopher Cross Is God
04-24-2008, 06:38 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Magnus, Solar, and Turok is what is keeping most of Valiant in limbo. Valiant essentially rented the characters from another party.

I don't know anything about the legal ramnifications of publishing those titles today in hardcover format, but Solar did make appearances in the Harbinger and X-O hardcover storylines recently released.

Pil
04-25-2008, 12:23 AM
I didn't know that Solar, Turok and others were originally Gold Key properties, and were different than the Valiant versions of them.

Did anyone complain about the change of origins, backgrounds etc? Cuz now, one little thing like Wonder Woman getting a secret identity and everyone's complaining (myself included). But I never hear anyone talking bad about the changes to Solar or other heroes.

Were the changes that good, people preferred them to the originals, or is it just because the internet forums weren't around then and no one got a chance to vent, and hold on to their dissatisfaction?

Only Solar was different. Magnus picked up where the original series left, and the Lost Land where Turok and Andar lived just happened to be where Mothergod set up shop, so here they really just picked up where there series stopped and took it in a new direction.

As to why the fans didn't complain much about Solar, I think it was because Jim Shooter did his revision with an incredible respect towards the original character and his new stories were entertaining.

The Internet has made it possible for everyone to get their complaints published instead of the few that can be printed on the letter pages, and it also prevents the companies from editing out the negative letters. From what I've saw on the Image letter pages back in the beginning, the fans also vented their dissatisfaction before the Internet became common. Some companies just had a policy, that this type of letters would not be printed. Now considering the sales figures Valiant had (10% market share in the first year IIRC), I'd say that most people liked what they had done to the characters.

Pil
04-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Double post...

founder81
04-25-2008, 05:42 AM
I don't know anything about the legal ramnifications of publishing those titles today in hardcover format, but Solar did make appearances in the Harbinger and X-O hardcover storylines recently released.

I"m wrong. Completely. I always thought the appearances of Solar (etc...) is what held up the reprints. Obviously this isn't true.

Colossus77
04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
I"m wrong. Completely. I always thought the appearances of Solar (etc...) is what held up the reprints. Obviously this isn't true.
Also Valiant doesn't own Solar, Turok and Magnus anymore. I think the rights went back to Gold Key or whoever owned Gold Key. Valiant does still own their characters though and I wish Shooter and/or Layton would come back and start where they left off. By the way did anyone know that Massarsky (sp) passed away recently?

PamGrierOverdrive
04-26-2008, 12:51 PM
I think the Acclaim years get an undeserved bad rap. In particular, Len Kaminski and Sal Velluto's run on Bloodshot was outstanding.