PDA

View Full Version : Cyclops' Best Costume?

The Fury
07-02-2006, 09:28 AM
For Cyclops Week:

Which of Cyclops' costumes do you think is the best?

Link to said costumes here:

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/db/spotlight/showquestion.asp?faq=10&fldAuto=66&page=10

Vote, post comments, make jokes about how crappy each are, what is good, etc etc etc.

Go!

The Mirrorball Man
07-02-2006, 09:31 AM
I love the "New X-Men" uniform, and I think it looked really good on Cyclops.

Sentinel K
07-02-2006, 09:33 AM
Cyclops looked tres cool in this one. i always thought the white looked better than the yellow. Walt Simonson drew him looking like a bad ass.

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/costume/cyclops-bigcostume6.jpg

This a totally under-rated costume, by Larocca, which I wish had been used more. It's better, IMO, than the current condom costume.

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/costume/cyclops-bigcostume9.jpg

I'd go for the Simonson one though, although I think he looked better when he stopped wearing the cowl (sp?)

spoon_jenkins
07-02-2006, 09:37 AM
My favorite is the classic hooded looked. To me, it's the iconic Cyclops look. And for some reason, I like the cuffed boots.

I don't consider the X-Factor costumes to be all the same. I like the blue and white one the best of those. It's between that one and the Jim Lee one for second place.

Madrox84
07-02-2006, 09:43 AM
While i'm tempted to go for the 'what's a cyclops' option... I voted for his X-Factor costume, for some reason i like that costume...

SPAfreak
07-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I've always loved this design by Alex Ross. It always seems to end up as my wallpaper.

An Average Madri
07-02-2006, 09:48 AM
All of Alex Ross's Earth X designs are wicked.

If i had to choose from this list, i'd say the Astonishing or the X-Factor uniform.

Sentinel K
07-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I've always loved this design by Alex Ross. It always seems to end up as my wallpaper.

I hate those Ross designs. I'm glad they were never used in 616.

Those hoods are so impractical and LOOK awful.

Dr Ray Palmer
07-02-2006, 09:51 AM
I like the simple, classic hooded one. I think a big part of that is because it's the costume Cyke was wearing when Paul Smith was drawing him, and I've always thought that Smith drew the definitive Cyclops (both in costume and especially in regular street clothes). When I picture Scott Summers, I always picture him as drawn by Paul Smith.

Affinity
07-02-2006, 10:08 AM
Yes, the classic hooded one is my favorite one, as well. As much as he's dressed with big Xs and leather and red armor, it's THAT look that made the man.

And hahaha, what the hell? Erik the Red is such a stupid costume!

Brian R
07-02-2006, 10:16 AM
I love the AXM look, I think its a brilliant update on the original, it gets my vote.

fishtaco
07-02-2006, 10:36 AM
Cyclops looked tres cool in this one. i always thought the white looked better than the yellow. Walt Simonson drew him looking like a bad ass.

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/costume/cyclops-bigcostume6.jpg

This a totally under-rated costume, by Larocca, which I wish had been used more. It's better, IMO, than the current condom costume.

http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/costume/cyclops-bigcostume9.jpg

I'd go for the Simonson one though, although I think he looked better when he stopped wearing the cowl (sp?)Those are my two favorites as well. He looks so kickass in both of them. For the X-Factor one, I did prefer the yellow where the white is. I just thought it was more satisfying to look at.

I've liked all of his costumes, with the exception of the Frank Quitely design and the current body condom ones.

mattbib
07-02-2006, 10:55 AM
Definitely the classic hooded look. It's sleek, simple, and the best fit for Scott's personality.

Flight
07-02-2006, 12:20 PM
I don't like the hooded look so Jim Lee for me.

Hi-Fi
07-02-2006, 12:22 PM
I like the simple, classic hooded one. I think a big part of that is because it's the costume Cyke was wearing when Paul Smith was drawing him, and I've always thought that Smith drew the definitive Cyclops (both in costume and especially in regular street clothes). When I picture Scott Summers, I always picture him as drawn by Paul Smith.

100% with you. I love Paul Smith's Cyclops.

I'm also a fan of the Morrison era costume.

Mikl C
07-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Jim Lee is the iconic costume for me. Mainly because I started reading comics at this stage and the cartoon/ merchandise was all about this costume. It's nicer than the classic, and the hood (condom-head) never really worked for me.

Faded
07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
I'm really liking his current outfit. That Civil War: X-Men variant cover by Turner really confirmed it for me.

scouse mouse
07-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Eric the Red.

Deathstroke
07-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Gotta go with the classic outfit.

Flameworthy
07-02-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm gonna have to go with the Jim Lee design, or the outfit he wore towards the end of his time on X-Factor.

Zombienorthstar
07-02-2006, 02:27 PM
the prophalactic.

Serik
07-02-2006, 03:02 PM
http://www.uncannyxmen.net/images/costume/cyclops-bigcostume8.jpg

This one.

AceOfSpades
07-02-2006, 03:48 PM
I really liked Morrison-era scott

Zombienorthstar
07-02-2006, 03:55 PM
I really liked Morrison-era scott

ALthough id argue that the costume wasnt the greatest...i loved the fact he was actually skinny...id like to see a skinny cyclops in the Astonishing costume...

i hate how all X-Men are the EXACT same build.

Mikl C
07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
They all have around 1000 abs. Through whichever clothing theyre wearing. That's always freaked me out.

Zombienorthstar
07-02-2006, 04:22 PM
They all have around 1000 abs. Through whichever clothing theyre wearing. That's always freaked me out.

I know...even characters like Hellion, who arguabley shouldnt have all his muscle tone yet (plus hes a telekinetic not engaged in much in the way of physical activity) is like bulked up...its freaky.

Alan2099
07-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Scott has never struck me as the type that needed to be realy muscular. I prefer a more slim Summers.

Also, put me down for the Jim Lee look, although the white X-facotr oputfit runs a close second.

Citizen V
07-02-2006, 04:50 PM
I decided to vote for the classic outfit.Mostly seen in Claremont`s 1980`s X-Men run.Cyclops`s costumes went bad after his 1990`s blue and yellow outfit.

Sean Whitmore
07-02-2006, 05:20 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/whitmore_sean/cyclops-bigcostume2.jpg http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/whitmore_sean/cyclops-bigcostume8.jpg

I think the perfect costume lies somewhere between these two. I don't like the hood from the 80s era, and the visor is kinda bulky. The Jim Lee design has too many damn pockets and belts that just scream 90s, and I have no idea how that half-cowl of his is kept up since it only comes up to his hairline. And those tiny gloves have to go.

Mix these two together and add the extra-slim visor from the Quitley design, and you've got a winner.

SEAN

Dr Ray Palmer
07-02-2006, 05:42 PM
ALthough id argue that the costume wasnt the greatest...i loved the fact he was actually skinny...id like to see a skinny cyclops in the Astonishing costume...

i hate how all X-Men are the EXACT same build.

I agree. There are a few characters who just aren't supposed to be huge steroid monsters. Cyclops is one, and Cannonball is another. Scott and Sam are both supposed to be lean. I always loved Bill Sienkiewicz's version of Cannonball because he made him slim and gawky. I don't think today's Sam should have the same body he had when he was 18, because now he's a grown man, but it still bugs me when I see artists giving Cannonball (and Cyclops) the same body as Bishop.

Callie
07-02-2006, 08:53 PM
I think his current Astonishing costume is his best one. It may not be quite as iconic as the godawful Jim Lee one or the classic one, but I think it looks the best. Sleek, dark, no bright yellow underwear on the outside.

If he would get rid of the condom cowl, it would be perfect. I liked the way it's usually drawn in New X-Men, where he's usually got the cowl off.

Bobster777
07-02-2006, 08:56 PM
I liked the Grant Morrison uniform. I liked how it was simple, and the colors were good on it too.

twilight
07-02-2006, 08:59 PM
I'll cast my vote for the Quietly designed one.

I love those big puffy X-Jackets :D

An Average Madri
07-02-2006, 09:22 PM
I loved how Morrison made a lot of the characters a lot more proportionally believable when it came to their figure. And i 100% agree with the Doctor that Sam should be skinny and akward looking!!!

Gene M.
07-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Morrison & Quitely all the way. I always felt those uniforms visually set the X-Men apart apart from other teams and really made New X-Men feel different than the rest of the MU.

Faded
07-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I loved how Morrison made a lot of the characters a lot more proportionally believable when it came to their figure. And i 100% agree with the Doctor that Sam should be skinny and akward looking!!!

Cyclops, Cannonball, and Chamber=the skinny guys of the XU, most definitely.

HellFrost
07-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Scott's Astonishing outfit. It's sexy and fitting for him. I especially love the piping since it accents Kitty's outfit aswell by giving him the outline of the main design of hers. Also, the Dark Blue/Black is perfect for where he is character wise right now.

Zombienorthstar
07-03-2006, 04:41 AM

Same with Nightcrawler...if hes too muscley it just doesnt look right...he should be wirey.

Traser
07-03-2006, 06:00 AM

I know this is off topic but Faded your avatar is killer. Laughed so hard when I read it. Nice! As for my fav. costume it's a choice between 2. I like the Jim Lee and Astonishing X-men look

Tre Styles
07-03-2006, 07:58 AM
While I'm a big fan of the Jim Lee version, I think that the classic hooded one, his second uniform is the iconic one that I think of when I think of Cyclops.

Mariah
07-03-2006, 08:07 AM
I would have to go for his original costume, where they all got their own costumes, and the Astonishing one would have to be a close second.

Nevets F
07-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I voted for the Jim Lee version, as that is the iconic one to many people now, including myself.

If the X-Factor costumes had been listed apart from each other, I would have gone with the third, by Portacio. It was much better than any other uniform he has had.

Brian M.
07-03-2006, 09:13 AM
I voted for the Jim Lee version, as that is the iconic one to many people now, including myself.

If the X-Factor costumes had been listed apart from each other, I would have gone with the third, by Portacio. It was much better than any other uniform he has had.

I liked the Portacio stuff too. I wishe he would come back and draw an X-Title again.

I like the Jim Lee stuff, I like the new Astonishing stuff but ironically I don't like it drawn by Cassaday.

Sentinel K
07-03-2006, 09:20 AM
I liked the Portacio stuff too. I wishe he would come back and draw an X-Title again.

I like the Jim Lee stuff, I like the new Astonishing stuff but ironically I don't like it drawn by Cassaday.

I don't get all the diddling for Cassady. :confused:

He's alright. S'about it.

mattbib
07-07-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm surprised the cowled versions are doing so well in the poll; I'm used to everyone hating on them. As I said, the classic is my fave.

Editor
04-29-2007, 07:34 AM
X-Factor.

Simple but bad-ass.