PDA

View Full Version : What books did you think were good today?

Brian Cronin
06-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I figure this a forum, so folks should be able to have their say, too.

So let us know, what books did you think were good today?

-Brian

Sean Whitmore
06-22-2006, 03:59 AM
I haven't been through the whole stash yet, but so far:

Ultimates #11, All-Star Superman #4, and Astonishing X-Men #15 were great.

Nova #3 was very good.

New Avengers #20 was okay.

SEAN

scratchie
06-22-2006, 06:02 AM
Of what I've read so far:

Eternals was really good. Of course, it's a first issue, so it doesn't have to do a lot of "heavy lifting", but it's got me coming back for more. Romita's art is great, in an extremely Moebius-esque style.

52 has been consistently entertaining, if a little "lite", and this issue is no exception. Things are actually starting to pick up a little in this issue (#7) as "stuff is actually happening" instead of just setting up all the multiple storylines.

I enjoyed both Shadowpact and Robin.

I also read the latest issue of Justice. I can't decide if this is really, really bad, or just really, really slow. I think it might be bad. The biggest problem (other than the incredibly pretentious and annoying narration) is that, for a book that's supposed to be all about the art, there are two or three pages in every issue where I can't even figure out what's supposed to be happening.

Lone Ranger
06-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Eternals #1 was indeed very strong. I never would have seen Gaiman and JR Jr as a good fit, but they really seemed to mesh. I am looking forward to the rest of the mini. A customer overheard the owner of the LCS - what it was all about. The owner said: 'Some monster shit Kirby did back in the day?' How do guys like this end up owning a LCS?

Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy #6 - Damn, this was a good mini. I am soooo impressed that Kubert can still produce such quality after 60 years in the business. The ending was a little abrubt, but I guess he was trying to convey that the war marches on, one mission leads to the next.

Mighty Marvel Western: Two Gun Kid: Buy this. Buy this now!

scratchie
06-22-2006, 09:37 AM
Sgt. Rock: The Prophecy #6 - Damn, this was a good mini. I am soooo impressed that Kubert can still produce such quality after 60 years in the business. The ending was a little abrubt, but I guess he was trying to convey that the war marches on, one mission leads to the next.This is sitting on my 'to read' pile. I'm quite looking forward to it, having enjoyed the series up to this point.

Bob Violence
06-22-2006, 07:18 PM
ASS #4 made me realize why I always hated Jimmy Olsen. In the Superman comics I've read the friendship between him and Superman is taken for granted. Morrison shows us here what makes Jimmy a guy you want in your corner; he's smart, resourceful and loyal beyond the point of self-preservation.

Ultimates #11 Good, but meh. Another issue spent ratcheting up the suspense, but the last page is kinda flat. I'd feel more enthusiastic, but I know there'll be another 3 month wait for .. another issue to ratchet up the suspense even more.

Justice #6 I like this book a lot, Ross' storytelling issues notwithstanding. It may be taking place at a slow rate, but minor revelations are there. It's not like we're being dragged from one Oh-My-God cliffhanger to another, we're geting a better picture of things.

twilight
06-23-2006, 04:17 AM
I bought Wolverine #42 and Thing #7.

Both were very good.
I love Humberto Ramos.

Yusaku Jon III
06-23-2006, 04:31 PM
I have to admit to being an old school comics and Japanese manga fan who hasn't seen much in today's comics. There are a few bright spots out there, but the medium has become too inconsistent and none of the stories out there really satisfy my cravings. Being the old school fan, these are a few of the titles that I've followed recently:

Blood of the Demon by John Byrne. Slated to end with #17, it's actually taken a twist on the 1970s DC Kirby character and given it a bit of a darker tone hinting at some of the possible complications of Jason Blood being basically an immortal demon given human form. Too bad that things have to be wrapped up soon, otherwise Byrne could've gone a fair distance with the revamped concepts.

Sgt Rock: the Prophecy by Joe Kubert & Sons. A straightforward war story set in the Baltics in 1943, having Sarge and his company take on a dangerous mission deep behind enemy lines. A quaint little limited series in which the old comics pro really shines.

New X-Men: Academy X by Nuncio DePhillipis & Christina Weir. This was good enough while it lasted, but Marvel has since intervened with the crossovers and a change of pace with a new creative team which I really didn't like. Sort of what I expected Generation X to be during the mid-1990s, though with a massive supporting cast. Apparently, that was the problem for certain people.

I have to admit to some books looking good out there, but I'm reluctant to go any further. Especially with Marvel, which appears to be turning into "All crossovers! All the time!" in response to DC's "All Crisises! All the time!" With such an atmosphere, I'm looking for that long-term story that doesn't get sidetracked by things like this. The manga used to fit the bill, but now they're only concentrating on cutesy shojou and martial arts fighters, so I'm really strapped for good sci-fi and comedy action there.

Gordon Smith
06-25-2006, 09:40 AM
I wandered into the comic book store a few days ago-something I very rarely do now-and somehow ended up buying a copy of Punisher: The Tyger #1. We don't get many stories that delve into Frank Castle's childhood, so a comic that ventured into exploring his wonder years grabbed my attention. Garth Ennis is not ordinarily my cup of tea, to put it mildly, but I liked this one for the most part. I have no idea how this particular comic 's take on Frank's origin would stack up from the standpoint of canon, but I do like the idea that Frank's issues-the impact of the traumatic experiences that led him to become the Punisher- had been accumulated over the course of his life prior to the massacre of his family, rather than being rooted in that single defining moment. Ennis deserves credit for that insight.

Brian Cronin
06-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I thought The Tyger was ginchy. How cool was John Severin's art?

-Brian

Gordon Smith
06-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Eh, the art seemed okay and perfectly suited to the story, but it's not what drew me to the book. The art in a story has to be pretty damned bad before I use it as a factor in abandoning a book. Which isn't a knock on John at all. I'm sure he's a talented artist worthy of respect and all. That kind of stuff is just not a big deal with me.

Jake Lockley
06-25-2006, 11:06 AM
I just finished the first issue of the Claw mini-series and thought it was very good. I'm not typically a huge sword & sorcery guy because I don't think it has ever been done that well in comics, with the exception of Conan, but this one is a good start to the series.

DubipR
06-25-2006, 01:17 PM
There were 3 of them that were the best of the best:

All-Star Superman #4
Uncle Scrooge- best comic on the market, IMO
ComicBook Holocaust by Johnny Ryan. This book is so politically incorrect, its brilliant.

Stephane Garrelie
06-25-2006, 04:02 PM
New Excalibur: good issue.
Eternal 1: good
Flash 1: decent but nothing special.

Gingold
06-25-2006, 06:06 PM
All-Star Superman was the best of the bunch this week. I thought Justice, 52 and Birds of Prey were pretty good too. And the new Superman Showcase book was great.

FunkyGreenJerusalem
06-27-2006, 08:30 AM
I got me some trades yesterday...

Gotham Central Vol1 - Pretty good stuff. Few too many coincidences for my liking, but the main characters and dialouge were good, and Micheal Lark is on the book, so I'll probably pick up the 2nd Volume.
I would reccomend this trade.

DMZ Vol.1 - Great stuff. Read through it a little too quickly (both time wise and I think it may have worked better with a break between chapters). It's got that Brian Wood feel and the chapters are all self contained. The time between issues is a bit odd, and I noticed a discrepency in how people view the main character between issues (with no mention of why this would change), but it's a fun concept (America is in a civil war, and Manhattan is the middle ground/DMZ. An intern journalist gets stuck there when the crew he was assisting gets killed, and he decides to stay and starts sending stories back to the outside world).
This trade shows a lot of potential for really good stories to come so I'd thoroughly reccomend it.

Seven Soldiers Of Victory Vol 3 - Only an issue or two in. Bit bored to be honest - the concept of collecting them in order of release, as opposed to story arcs was really a bad idea... Klarion and Zantanna come across as really jumpy pointless stories - throw in Shining Knight and I call BS on the concept that the minis read as stand alone - though Guardian was the greatest new/update character I've read in a long time... he better get his own book.
I'll stick by it, and look forward to being able to read the story as one, but I'm feeling apathy at this point.
Not sure I would reccomend it at this point.

Also got all 3 issues of Mythos (old vertigo mini by John Rey Neiber) in the mail today.
Have the first two issues and they were great (gods want a rock star (in the Kurt Cobain mold to help get the masses souls/control them), even though they had nods to old Vertigo (Desire is mentioned and Constatine appears for a fun scene) and I would reccomend them, but had never been able to find the third issue (or was unwilling to pay for it - got the other two in dollar bins).
Thanks to e-bay the third arrived today, so I'm looking forward to it.

Gordon Smith
04-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Today, I picked up the hardover edition of the six-issue limted series, GI Joe: Snake Eyes Declassified. This series, put out by Devil's Due Publishing, was the ''updated'' origin of the famous commando, being extensively based on Larry Hama's previous work on the character. Brandon Jerwa was the author and Emillano Santalucia the artist. I rather liked it.

Pól Rua
04-19-2007, 01:43 AM
Lately, I've been buying fewer and fewer comics.
Last week, I picked up Dan Madigan's book on the history and major players of Lucha Libre (focusing chiefly on the masked wrestlers).
And this week, I grabbed 'Batman & The Mad Monk'.
Because I can't resist Matt Wagner's work.

Matthew E
04-19-2007, 06:48 AM
Of the stuff I got:

JLA #8 was very good.
Spirit #5 was also quite good, possibly the best issue we've had so far in that series.
Brave and Bold #3 wasn't as good as I hoped it was going to be, but was still fine.