PDA

View Full Version : What's going to happen in Morrison/ Quitely's All-Star Superman?

Mister Mets
04-09-2006, 02:30 PM
I was rereading All-Star Superman #1-3 (because it's so awesome) and I realized that there are a few clues as to what's going to happen in the next nine issues of Morrison/ Quitely's run on the title. I'm also sure that if I'm wrong on any of these guesses, it's because the resulting issue is better than anything I've imagined.

The third issue revealed that he's going to complete 12 incredible challenges, and Morrison's described his run as the 12 labors of Superman. He "answered the unanswerable question" in the third issue.
He dove into the sun to save a manned space shuttle in the first issue, and turned an ordinary woman mortal in the second issue, so this leaves the other accomplishments Samson hinted at.
He's going to create life. I have no idea what that means. A Superbaby maybe (these "What If" stories were popular in the silver ages.) Or maybe it's just going to be a robot.
He's going to escape from the underverse. This may or may not be the way that he survives, although we do know from Samson's newspaper that he's going to die.
He's going to overthrow the Tyrant Sun. In the second issue a future message from "Kal Kent, the Man of Steel of Tomorrow, Superman of the Year 853,450 AD" reveals "We fought Solaris, the Tyrant Sun in the year 800,000" so I'm assuming one issue is going to show that team-up. Since it's going to be a Superman in the future tale, I'm hoping to see future versions of other DC characters.

Solicitations reveal that the 4th issue has a Jimmy Olsen story, probably a homage to the Silver Age Jimmy Olsen book. We've already a Lois-centric tale (and she also had a Silver Age book) so I predict the following three adventures (reflecting a few of the things we'd associate Silver Age Superman with)....
A Superboy tale (either a Superman/ Superboy team-up which would be the definitive Superboy story, or a story in which half the issue is a Superboy adventure that somehow ties into Superman's predicament.)
A World's Finest team-up between Superman & Batman. It'll probably involve Robin, and the Joker, since they're definitive aspects of Batman. Superman references Robin in Issue 2 Page 4, before wondering if he should have a partner, and the Fortress of Solitude spread has a giant Joker "bad penny."
A Justice League of America tale.
The biggest core Superman concept Morrison hasn't touched on yet is Bizarro, so I'm pretty sure we're going to see a Bizarro story.

The first issue had Professor Quintum realize that Superman's developing new abilities, so I'm sure that's going to be important for a few later stories, as will Superman's enhanced powers.

Morrison's said in interviews that we're going to see new concepts/ characters that later writers could use, and so far he hasn't disappointed. We've been introduced to Leo Quintum, his many inventions, the supervillain suicide bomb, a baby Sun-Eater, Samson, Atlas, and evolved underground dinosaurs. I predict we'll see a few dozen more characters future writers can play with.

The second issue has a two page spread of the Fortress of Solitude, which includes the Bottle City of Kandor, a time machine, and a Brainiac statue, so I would bet money on all three playing into later stories.

Leo Quintum's going to do what he can to save/ replace Superman, which will likely be part of a few future plots. Maybe one issue will have Superman trying to train a possible replacement (especially since he's pondering getting a partner.)

Finally, I'm pretty damn sure there's going to be a rematch between Superman, and Lex Luthor, especially since he's responsible for Superman dying. Morrison's going to try and probably succeed in writing the definitive Lex Luthor story, and one of the scenes he pretty much has to do is Lex Luthor's reaction to Superman's "death."

My question to you guys. What do you hope/think we'll see in the next nine issues of this book? Are there any predictions of mine that you think are flat out wrong?

Shellhead
04-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Go back and look at the figures on the chessboard in the Fortress of Solitude in issue #2. I bet we see all of those characters in the coming issues.

shyguy
04-09-2006, 05:25 PM
Morrison has already outlined his plans for Bizzaro (Bizarro-ism as a zombie-esque plague; an invasion from the Bizarro Earth; Bizarro JLA), so that's a safe bet.

I believe Morrison has already layed out plans for a Superboy story involving Krypto as well.

A Batman team-up seems likely, and I really, really hope it comes about.

I'd love to see a Supergirl story, although I don't think that's particularly likely. It'd be great to see the Legion of Super-Heroes story, too.

Basically, I want Morrison and Quitely to stay on this book forever so Morrison can script every Superman story he's ever had in his head.

jaguarshark
04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
It looks like Superman might not actually die... judging from the last page of issue 3, there's a chance that Clark just retires the Superman identity, or has to fake Superman's death temporarily for some reason or another. Check that byline...

jaguarshark
04-09-2006, 05:47 PM
As for the other ideas, yeah, I'd love to see a team-up with Morrison's All-Star Batman, and the Superboy issue sounds interesting. The Planet of Bizarros will be fantastic as well, if that ends up happening.
I'm assuming Quintum is going to come back into the story at some stage, and that Luthor will end up being connected to that story. We absolutely must see Morrison's Luthor again before the series is out!
Bring on the rest of Superman's labors!

Carlton Donaghe
04-09-2006, 07:18 PM
It is awesome to see the Silver-Age Superman done right.

Not only am I absolutely enjoying ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, but my fiance, who has never read comics in her life, has been reading-- and enjoying them-- as well. Heck, she was the one who was going down to the comic shop to pick them up for me!

jaguarshark
04-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Carlton Donaghe
Not only am I absolutely enjoying ALL-STAR SUPERMAN, but my fiance, who has never read comics in her life, has been reading-- and enjoying them-- as well. Heck, she was the one who was going down to the comic shop to pick them up for me!
I've found that as well! My girlfriend had never read comics before in her entire life, which isn't particularly uncommon where I live, but after reading it to see what all the fuss was about, she really enjoyed 'All-Star Superman'. Now, having said that, when I gave her 'Man of Steel' #1 to read, by way of comparison, she preferred MOS. Not sure what that was about.
Has 'All-Star' gotten your fiance to read any other comics? My girlfriend's really gotten into 'Next Wave'.

Apathy Boy
04-10-2006, 12:01 AM
It looks like Superman might not actually die... judging from the last page of issue 3, there's a chance that Clark just retires the Superman identity, or has to fake Superman's death temporarily for some reason or another. Check that byline...I'm hoping that Superman's new powers eventually splits him and Clark into separate bodies, and the two of them go into battle like they did in Superman III. And it's "Superman" that loses and dies.

Yeah, yeah. I liked Superman III. Don't rub it in.

Mister Mets
04-10-2006, 06:46 AM
Someone on the Millarworld boards did this before I did....
http://forums.millarworld.tv/index.php?showtopic=59058&st=40

I hope ASS includes:
Bizarro and the Bizarro homeworld.
Mxyzptlk
Smallville
Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes
Krypton

In the previous thread, I tried to map out what the outline for the story would look like based on what issues came out and the interviews Morrison gave (on Newsarama, Wizard, etc).

#1: "FASTER..." Superman rescues exploration team, finds his powers are boosted and that he might die. Decides to reveal ID to Lois.
#2: "SUPERMAN'S FORBIDDEN ROOM" Lois at the Fortress--goes crazy due to chemicals, receives Superwoman costume; appearance by DC 1 Million-esque Superman and the Unknown Superman of 4500 AD.
#3: "SWEET DREAMS, SUPERWOMAN" Lois Lane, Superwoman. Krull and the dinosaur underworld. Atlas and Samson. Ultrasphinx.
#4: Jimmy Olsen story (with him turning into Doomsday). Superman goes bad.
#5: Prison Riot, Clark Kent shares prison cell with Luthor.
#6: Confirmed as being the Superboy story, possibly the one Morrison mentioned as dealing with Jonathan Kent's death, also likely to guest-star Krypto since Morrison preferred using Krypto in Superboy stories.
#7-9: Bizarro Cube Earth two-parter starts in either #7 or #8. If it's #8, It'll end in #9.
#10-12: Unknown

Mentioned in interviews, but still currently unknown where they fit in (or if they still do): Kandorians out of the bottle, Legion of Super-Heroes, Solaris (mentioned in #2 and was probably the sun on the chessboard, but Samson hints that the character will make an actual appearance later on), Earth's Replacement Superman (w/ Clark taking new superhero identity), Abominable Snowman. Also, Samson mentions that Superman's two other challenges include creating life and "escaping from the underverse."

So far I don't know if he'll actually incorporate Mxyzptlk.

Comments I wrote about the series on other boards....
If anyone thinks I'm going overboard with my speculation, the appearance of Atlas the Olympian in Issue 3 was foreshadowed by Superman using a hammer crafted in New Olympus in Issue 2.

I reread the issues again this time looking to see what clues there could be for future scenes, and discovered a few more things.
Superman built the fortress as a time capsule, so it may become open to the public when he's believed dead.
His tripled curiosity/ imagination/ creativity may become important.
Samson promised to hit on Lois when Superman's believed dead.
Quintum's working hard to crack the Krypton code, has Bizarro drones, and giants/ microscopic allies. I predict a scene where he sends a microscopic fleet into Superman's body in a story that will be about Superman training a new Kryptonian hero.

I've also noticed three trends that make Morrison's issues unique.
He's retreading stories that have been done before (ie- Lois discovering Superman's identity.)
He's introducing new concepts at an alarming rate.
He's doing epic stories that can only be done once, which shows a willingness to mess with the status quo every issue.

I made these predictions before I read the Millarworld post, or read the Issue 5 solicitations.

Issue 4 will be narrated by Jimmy Olsen.

The following six plots could be for any of the issues.
Superman, Batman & Robin VS Joker & Bizarro- This issue would be a "World's Finest" homage, and feature Batman's attempts to save Supes. These team-ups work best when the heroes have to fight two villains, and I'm surprised Joker hasn't teamed up with Bizarro more often, given that they're both crazy villains, with similarities to their archenemies. Note- This could be the plot for the Bizarro Earth two-parter.
Superman & Superboy Team-Up- This is one of the stories that can only be done once, so it wouldn't surprise me if Morrison does it. My crazier prediction- Superman will find a way to save his parents. His parents being alive is one of the key differences of the Silver Age/ Modern Age Superman, and if he finds a way to succeed where Superboy his failed he A) creates life (which was one of his great accomplishments), and B) proves he can do anything. Note- A Superman/ Superboy team-up's basically been confirmed.
Justice League of America- One story would be devoted to a JLA mission, and for the hell of it, would include a race with the Flash (Barry Allen, of course.)
Superman & Partner- This issue would have Superman trying to train a partner/ replacement, probably one of Quintum's men, in which case it begins with the micro doctors failing to save Superman from the inside.
Superman & The Superman of 800000 AD VS Tyrant Sun- Morrison pretty much promised this plot. I also predict it somehow reveals the secret of the Unknown Superman of 4500 AD, and features future versions of Batman, Flash, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, and Lex Luthor.
Superman VS Brainiac in the Bottle City of Kandor- One of the things Superman will try to do before he dies is save the bottle city of Kandor, perhaps his expedition into the underworld. And where there's Kandor, there's Brainiac. I predict this solely, because of the appearance of both in the Fortress of Solitude.

Issue 10 will feature one of the above plots, and end with the death of Superman.
Issue 11 will follow the death of Superman, the opening of the Fortress of Solitude to the public, a lot of reactions to his death (1 panel reactions from ordinary civilians, enemies, Bugle workers, superheroes, Samson- who realizes he's not good enough for Lois, etc) and will be narrated by Lex Luthor, as he wonders what he's going to do next now that Superman's dead. He'll initiate a mad plot to take over the world, and disappointment that there's nothing else to accomplish to rival killing Superman. The issue ends with his private joy that Superman's gotten better (in a kick ass scene, of course.)
Issue 12 will have Superman's big rematch with Lex Luthor.

And every time an issue features any of my predictions, I'll update this thread with an "I called it."

cmdrbond007
04-17-2006, 06:51 AM
Does anybody know when #4 is coming out?

NotSuper
04-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Does anybody know when #4 is coming out?
May 17th.

Does anyone know whether the Superboy ruling will affect Morrison's use of the character?

NotSuper
04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm hoping that Superman's new powers eventually splits him and Clark into separate bodies, and the two of them go into battle like they did in Superman III. And it's "Superman" that loses and dies.
How would Superman come back, though?

PatrickG
04-20-2006, 11:22 AM
I think the way we'll see Superman "creating life" will be fathering a child with Lois.

I'm pretty sure that the question he wanted to ask Lois in #3 involved whether or not she would have his child. The serum was probably a test serum to make sure that she handle the pregnancy and give birth to a Super-Baby.

I have a feeling that she'll have a superspeed pregnancy later in the series, perhaps assisted by Quintum, and that Superman's replacement will be his son, Superman Secundus -- which ties into DC One Million.

What we're seeing is essentially a prequel to DC One Million, freed up from continuity.

And I have this crazy feeling that issue 12 may take place in the 853rd century AFTER DC One Million with Superman-Prime and Lois involved in the final of the 12 labors.

NotSuper
04-20-2006, 05:47 PM
Does anyone else think Leo Quintum is Lex Luthor in disguise? The pre-Crisis Luthor did have numerous fake identities (and dummy companies--that's how he got the money for his equipment).

Mister Mets
04-23-2006, 09:52 AM
I think the way we'll see Superman "creating life" will be fathering a child with Lois.

I'm pretty sure that the question he wanted to ask Lois in #3 involved whether or not she would have his child. The serum was probably a test serum to make sure that she handle the pregnancy and give birth to a Super-Baby.

I have a feeling that she'll have a superspeed pregnancy later in the series, perhaps assisted by Quintum, and that Superman's replacement will be his son, Superman Secundus -- which ties into DC One Million.

What we're seeing is essentially a prequel to DC One Million, freed up from continuity.

And I have this crazy feeling that issue 12 may take place in the 853rd century AFTER DC One Million with Superman-Prime and Lois involved in the final of the 12 labors.

Weird theories. But Morrison might do them.

One more idea.
The infant Suneater from Issue 1 will be used against the tyrant sun in a battle in the far future (when the suneater has grown up loyal to Superman).

Ontir
05-21-2006, 11:27 PM
With the mention of the Tyrant Sun from DC 1,000,000,000, I'm remembering that the original Superman emerged from the sun, wearing a Green Lantern ring. Perhaps the power ring is how he survives, his will-power focused through the ring, to preserve his life, and/or living in the sun to absorb the power neccessary to do same. Of course, living in the sun would again increase his powers exponentially, adding more and more abilities (Re-build the Great Wall of China Vision, anyone?:eek:). If he has to take to living in the sun, and visiting Earth, perhaps the life he creates is a non-powered clone who IS Clark Kent, full-time.

NotSuper
05-22-2006, 05:23 AM
I think he'll recreate Luthor's protoplasm experiment--with better results.

pauwoo
05-22-2006, 10:34 AM
The shipping dates will start to slip.

Morrison will wonder off into Morrison land.

Quitley won't be able to complete all the art, some one will fill in, fanboys will bitch that is not as good.

:)

NotSuper
05-23-2006, 08:07 PM
One more idea.
The infant Suneater from Issue 1 will be used against the tyrant sun in a battle in the far future (when the suneater has grown up loyal to Superman).
That'd be cool. It'd be interesting to see a Sun-Eater on the side of good.

Mister Mets
07-05-2006, 07:51 PM
After reading Issue 4, I've come to one conclusion based on two bits of evidence.

1. Superman is dying, because he's become too powerful,
2. Black Kryptonite made Superman weaker (and more evil.)

My conclusion....
Black Kryptonite will be used to cure Superman in the finale, which will include a battle between the Evil Superman, and probably the JLA (just because that's an iconic part of Superman's identity).

Matt Algren
07-06-2006, 06:07 AM
After reading Issue 4, I've come to one conclusion.

1. Superman is dying, because he's become too powerful,
2. Black Kryptonite made Superman weaker (and more evil.)

My conclusion....
Black Kryptonite will be used to cure Superman in the finale, which will include a battle between the Evil Superman, and probably the JLA (just because that's an iconic part of Superman's identity).
Also, Superman escaped the Underverse in #4, as Samson said he would in #3. Mark one of the twelve feats off the list.

I love that the 'feat' was a minor point in the story.

Mister Mets
07-11-2007, 12:12 PM
Also, Superman escaped the Underverse in #4, as Samson said he would in #3. Mark one of the twelve feats off the list.

I love that the 'feat' was a minor point in the story.
I think the Underverse was actually the Bizarroworld in All-Star #8.

It'll be interesting to see if Morrison has Lois/ Superman discuss his impending death.

Two predictions....
1. Zibarro will return (this one's pretty obvious.)
2. Whatever's menacing the sun will be beaten with the aid of the Sun-Eater.

witchboy
07-27-2007, 11:33 AM
Zibarro would make a natural replacement . I really like him , so i 'm all for that .
I hope we get issues devoted to Supergirl , the Legion , Kandor , Brainiac , the JLA ...these are all important elements from the Superman mythos that I 'd love to see reimagined here .